The Best You Never Heard: Kelly Rowland, The Saturdays, Mary Mary & Mariah

best u never heard 3 The Best You Never Heard: Kelly Rowland, The Saturdays, Mary Mary & Mariah

This week’s edition of Best You Never Heard features little known gems by Kelly Rowland, The Saturdays, Mary Mary and Mariah Carey.

———————————-

Kelly Rowland – Love Again

Though the label handling of the re-release of Kelly Rowland‘s ‘Ms. Kelly’ in 2008 left a lot to be desired, the fact it yielded the stunningly beautiful ‘Love Again’ made the whole project worth it IMO. Without question, the best the 28 year old has sounded on track to date, the stripped back, sparse production really allows for the force that can be Kelly’s voice to soar to emotive heights I hadn’t previously thought possible (in being 100% honest). If ever there was a little known track I wish could be included on her forthcoming project, it would be this, so as for the masses to really see that my girl has got pipes! Here’s hoping there’s similar sounding tracks, which showcase her vocals to their full potential, on her hotly anticipated 3rd solo album.

Listen:

———————————-

The Saturdays – Fall

Lifted from The Saturdays’ self-titled Platinum 2008 debut, stirring ballad ‘Fall’ hands-down serves as one of the ladies best offerings to date. Though overlooked as single in favour of the album’s more popier/radio-friendly cuts, this Ina Wroldsen penned number really drove home the potential the group have beyond the Pop niche they’ve fallen into. With lyrics which give a refreshingly darker take on a a relationship break-up, as well as stellar vocals (largely from lead singer Vanessa), this is a must-have for one’s music collection. Awesome track!

Listen:

———————————-

Mary Mary – Believer

As mentioned previously, I have a soft-spot for crossover Gospel (aka Gospel music which sounds like everything else I usually listen to!) Sister duo Mary Mary have carved out a niche for serving up such gems since bursting onto the scene in 2000 with their smash ‘Shackles’.  One of the pair’s best tracks IMO is 2005’s ‘Believer’ from their self-titled LP released the same year. Perhaps the most lyrically engaging and thought-provoking song I’ve heard in…well…forever…this ultimately is made even better by such lyrics are over a banging beat. This one knocks!

Listen:

———————————-

Mariah Carey – Melt Away

Though somewhat a controversial statement, ‘Butterfly’ and ‘The Emancipation of Mimi’ aside, Mariah Carey actually hasn’t released much in the way of a solid album from start to finish IMO. Instead, each of her LP’s boast stand-out cuts which further enhance the quality of her extensive back-catalogue. One of my all-time favourites comes in the form of ‘Melt Away’ from her 1995 album ‘Daydream’. Produced by Babyface, the breezy mid-tempo stands as one of Mariah’s first forays into outright R&B – and arguably one of her best. An updated take on this sound is the sort of music I’d happily lap up from Mimi for her next LP.

Listen:

———————————-

Hit(s) or Miss(es)?

• December 16, 2009 at 9:05 am
    Manny Fresh says:

LOVE AGAIN is my fav kellz traxx to date

• December 16, 2009 at 9:37 am
    Australian Weed Smoker (I Really Love TGJ Though)! says:

DAYDREAM WAS RELEASED IN 1995 U f****** IDIOT!!!!! UR SUCH AN UEDUCATED DUMBASS SAM

ANYONE KNOWS IT WAS OUT IN 95 U FUCKTARD, IT SPAWNED ONE SWEET DAY AND ALWAYS BE MY BABY WHICH WERE NUMBER ONES IN 96 SO WHY THE f*** WOULD SHE RELEASE IT IN 94 WHEN SHE WAS BUSY DOING MERRY CHRISTMAS?

UR A NEWS THEIF AND A DUMB ONE AT THAT!

• December 16, 2009 at 9:45 am
    12345 says:

I love Melt Away, I’ve got all Mariah albums, including the christmas one (tho I dont like it that much because i hate religion and anything that has to do with it) and Melt Away is definetly one of my favorite songs of her

• December 16, 2009 at 9:49 am
    lyric_lee says:

LOVE AGAIN IS DEFIENTLY MY DIVA TRACK FROM MS KELLY – THIS IS AND WILL PRBABLY BECOME ONE OF HER SIGNATURE BALLADS ALONG WITH “THIS IS LOVE” SUCH POWER – GOD I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HER LIVE

• December 16, 2009 at 9:53 am
    Kendra says:

I have always LOVED “Melt Away” I miss that Mariah. Hell I miss the Mariah from TEOM

• December 16, 2009 at 9:59 am
    MCC IS THE BEST says:

WooooW Sam, your telling me out of 12 albums only 2 were solid album’s from start to finish??? It must be Weed, It must be the E. cause you are buggin!! Mariah Carey, Emotions, Daydream, Music Box, great start to finish not one song on these albums were a dud !!!!

• December 16, 2009 at 10:15 am
    Anon says:

LMAO!!!! Sam, how old are you? 6? With good label handling and PR Mariah became all things to all people (at least for a while), but she has ALWAYS been grounded in R&B. In America, the Black community was all over her before she hit it big. Vision of Love was a #1 R&B song before it went #1 Pop. The idea that Melt Away was her first foray into outright R&B is LAUGHABLE!!!! I Don’t Wanna Cry? Love Takes Time? Sent From Up Above? Emotions? Can’t Let Go? The Wind? JESUS CHRIST SAM HAVE YOU EVER HEARD VANISHING????? And You Don’t Remember? AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE….ALONE IN LOVE??? In case you were wondering, Fantasy was not Mariah’s debut. I can’t even stand her voice now, but she was SLAYING hoes left, right, up, and down with her R&B (Yes, R&B) back in 1990. And for the record, all the songs I have listed come from her first 2 albums, Mariah Carey and Emotions. I suggest you pick them up. You will like what you hear.

• December 16, 2009 at 10:19 am
    Anon says:

I forgot to add….I think you’re right that Melt Away is an awesome song. If you’re really going for a deep cut of hers for your “Best You’ve Never Heard” series…give Alone in Love a try. She sang her face off.

• December 16, 2009 at 10:43 am
    Mickjoe19 says:

I love Fall by the Saturdays! One of my most played. It’s just a perfect pop song

• December 16, 2009 at 11:08 am
    GeeMan says:

Sam please do me a big favor do research before making certain statements Mimi released solid material throughout the 90″s this is why career and catalouge standouts so strong as does Whitney and Celine this is something in today”s industry that the young ones will hope to mass. Even though only few have been able to mass this kind of success but the music is not as strong or as timeless.

• December 16, 2009 at 12:00 pm
    12345 says:

@anon
    “the wind” is jazz, not r&b and it is the song that i want to get played in my funeral

M even Stevie Wonder said “I only know 3 people with amazing voices, my first wife, Mariah Carey and Minnie Riperton.”
    Vocally, lirically, musically, she will always be a genius, no matter how much she fails, no matter what others say

• December 16, 2009 at 1:20 pm
    PLUG says:

I have Kelly’s re-released version of her sophomore album. It’s titled Ms.Kelly-The DEluxe Edition and it is fire. I like it just as much if not more than the initial release Ms. Kelly. “Love Again” is my favorite ballad by Kelly. Her voice on this number is absolutely beautiful and her vocal arrangement is amazing to say the least. I also love “Unity” which was a feature track on her re-release. That is another song on which you can clearly hear Kelly’s vocal prowess and diversity. Bottom line is,despite what ignoramuses may say,Kelly is a vocal beast;and these songs as well as a few others drive that point home,and her voice is only getting bigger and better. Can’t wait for her new album.

• December 16, 2009 at 2:12 pm
    Anon says:

@12345

Okay. Fine (though throwing a double bass and some horns in a song does not make a song jazz. Additionally, her delivery was hardly jazz like) Let’s drop The Wind. Does that change my point?

• December 16, 2009 at 3:14 pm
    EclecticCity says:

that Kelly rowland track is tight. didnt know her vocals were up there. nice! @EcleCticCiTY

• December 17, 2009 at 2:51 am
    Paul says:

How can you say “Butterfly’ and ‘The Emancipation of Mimi’ aside, Mariah Carey actually hasn’t released much in the way of a solid album from start to finish”?

So basically, she’s hasn’t released a solid, consistent, excellent album apart from the solid consistent excellent albums she’s released.

What a stupid statement, that doesn’t even make any sense!

• December 21, 2009 at 9:46 pm
    Alex says:

Ohh Yeah!! Melt Away is by far one of the best!! I love her lower register in this one!! another good one is “mine again” “the roof” and “breakdown” but then again, I love all of Mariahs music. lol. but good choice (:

• December 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm
    Dave says:

YESSS, I Love that track. Kelly SANG THAT s***!!! Her voice is so powerful & soulful just like Rico Love said.