Toni Braxton Talks About New Album & Explains Push-Backs

shares
toni pulse1 Toni Braxton Talks About New Album & Explains Push Backs

Diva Toni Braxton has been hard at work in the lab, working on her upcoming studio release, ‘Pulse’. However, the husky-voiced singer took a break from recording to divulge details about the new LP to Digital Spy and explained why it was delayed several times since 2008. Read what she had to say about the record and the possibility of an Alicia Keys collaboration below:

How long have you been working on the album?
“It’s like a bottomless cup of coffee! I signed my deal with Atlantic Records when I did Dancing With The Stars in September 2008 and I’ve been working on it since then. I must have recorded more than 30 tracks for it by now!”

Have you decided on the final tracklisting?
“We’re doing that as we speak – I think we have about seven songs confirmed, but we haven’t got the ten yet. The album was supposed to come out in February, but we held it back because seven of the ten songs we picked were leaked. We decided to go back to the studio, record four or five more songs and then pick. Now we send everything via Federal Express – nothing’s going through the internet – and that’s why none of the new songs have leaked so far.”

What’s the balance between ballads and club cuts like?
“It can be challenging getting that balance right, but I think we did a really good job on [my 1996 album] Secrets. Everyone forgets that ‘You’re Makin’ Me High’ was on the same album as ‘Un-Break My Heart’. You have to make sure it sequences well, because you don’t want to have a dance song and then all of a sudden a big, classic ballad.”

The first UK single is a track called ‘Yesterday’. What’s the story behind it?
“Well, I heard the song and it was written from a guy’s perspective, so I said, ‘Nice song – let me rework it’. I changed it up and made it a girl’s song. I’m going through a separation, and it’s not my story per se, but I definitely can relate to it in the sense of starting over. I wanted to have strength when I sang it – I didn’t want to be a wimp!”

It feels like time for you to record a big female-female duet. Is there anything being lined up?
“Me and Alicia Keys are talking about it – well, my people are talking to Alicia’s people because I play piano and obviously she plays too. I’ve been playing since I was about nine years old so I really can play. Maybe we could do something at an award show and people will see us collaborate that way? We’ll see.”

How about our own diva, Leona Lewis?
“I love her! I prefer her first album to the new one though. Actually, the possibility of she and I touring together was mentioned when I was in New York a couple of months ago for the VH1 Divas show. Her people were talking to my people and said maybe we should put on a tour together, so who knows? I’m just excited to have these options and possibilities open to me.” {Source}

Thoughts?

shares

This weeks top commentors

• wheresmyjizzle

wheresmyjizzle (9)

• JOHNVIDAL

JOHNVIDAL (5)

• Beysus

Beysus (4)

• GILBERTO

GILBERTO (3)

1. March 24, 2010 at 7:34 am
    JaiBrandon says:

Cannot wait! A Keys and Toni would make a great performance. Toni has been playing the Keys since she was like 16. As far as Leona Lewis I am not a fan of hers so i can do without Toni touring with her. Go Toni! Cannot wait for Pulse. Keep the haters frowning.

2. March 24, 2010 at 7:57 am
    herbs says:

TONI BRAXTON is back! the REAL SINGER is finally back!!!!

yeah Toni can play the piano ive known that fact since i was in gradeschool!

cant wait for her PULSE on May 4, 2010!
    get em Toni! show them once again how to sing REAL R&B music..esp. to these voiceless, talentless “singers” TODAY.

3. March 24, 2010 at 8:20 am
    erleevis says:

Toni is back! I cant wait till may 4th…I have a feeling “Yesterday” is going to do really well in the UK

4. March 24, 2010 at 8:36 am
    Me says:

PEOPLE PLEEEEASE PASS THIS AROUND and TWEET IT (you can shorten it though,lol)

“DON’T TAKE Monica’s music for FREE. No P2P, no bootleg. Sales numbers MATTER & we have to show the industry that we want artists with talent who actually put in WORK. REAL MUSIC. We’re tired of artists who just show up almost naked and expect that to be enough”.

5. March 24, 2010 at 8:39 am
    theillest says:

hmm, Mariah and Whitney are Bic Macs and Toni is the cheeseburger. Why is she talking about collabos that aren’t firm and her people talking to their people. Either it’s confirmed or not. Regarding Leona, poor thing, not many people liking the 2nd album as compared to the first album.

Hopefully, she does well but I don’t see her doing as well as Monica. Hopes she can go gold.

6. March 24, 2010 at 8:40 am
    shah3431 says:

Toni + Alicia = FIRE!!!!!

7. March 24, 2010 at 8:53 am
    hihihihi says:

I LOVE YOU TRENT!

8. March 24, 2010 at 10:00 am
    Liberal says:

Can’t wait for Toni’s new album.

Toni is a star in her own right, stop comparing!

9. March 24, 2010 at 10:13 am
    BEN says:

Any day now Toni. Unfortunately, we are living in a day and age where song leaking will not end anytime soon. Either way, about a week before your album drops, all of your songs will get leaked anyway. So just drop it already, because people will eventually lose interest. And that goes for other long-awaited artists.

10. March 24, 2010 at 10:19 am
    uberVU - social comments says:

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by thatgrapejuice: Toni Braxton Talks About New Album & Explains Push-Backs http://bit.ly/cuttU1

11. March 24, 2010 at 10:22 am
    Rize says:

CANT WAIT FOR TONI’S NEW ALBUM!!!!!!! i ABSOLUTELY LOVE TONI, HER VOICE AND HER MUSIC!!!!!!! COME TO THE UK!!!!!

12. March 24, 2010 at 10:44 am
    ibedaBADDEST says:

@THEILLEST
    Toni will always be more successful and bigger than Monica so don’t even try it.

13. March 24, 2010 at 10:53 am
    BEYONCElover says:

i certainly cant wait for her to release a new album.. she’s one of the few best out there! love her talent!!
    she said 7 out of 10 songs leaked… what were they??
    pulse, get loose, hands tied, what else?? yesterday isnt a leak she released it right? mm.. ?

14. March 24, 2010 at 11:12 am
    Dzemil says:

I’m so excited for this!!!! I can’t wait to have it in my hands!!!!

15. March 24, 2010 at 10:45 pm
    Fritzma says:

Can’t wait for Toni Braxton’s Pulse album..Welcome back Toni B..we love you so very much..

16. March 25, 2010 at 4:23 am
    Donnasian says:

Wow..Can’t wait for Pulse, Toni Braxton Baby

17. March 25, 2010 at 4:25 am
    Doreen says:

I hope Atlantic treats her well, she is so talented ,beautiful,humble, she truly deserves the success

18. March 25, 2010 at 6:12 am
    Antonio Hernandez says:

Ohhhh!!

I’m so excited with the new album of this real DIVA.

And a tour with Leona Lewis! OMG!

19. March 25, 2010 at 8:31 am
    Kahzee says:

Toni is awesome! I’d love for her to work and or tour with Leona Lewis.

20. March 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm
    vmars08 says:

Please, don’t steal stuff from Toya’s World. It just brings your blog down. This is old news anyway. C’mon now, it’s past the point of ridiculous now.

21. March 28, 2010 at 8:31 pm