New Song: R. Kelly – ‘Tongues (ft. Ludacris)’

shares
r kelly23 New Song: R. Kelly   Tongues (ft. Ludacris)

It’s been a tough few years commercially for singer R. Kelly. Indeed, the R&B pioneer has seen his recent releases sell way less than his more successful efforts of yesteryear.

In any case, he’s back with the Bangladesh produced ‘Tongues’ (which is said to feature on his upcoming new album). Take a listen to the Ludacris assisted cut after the jump…

Putting to one side the potentially disrespectful “hail Mary full of grace” intro, this one goes hard. Though not Kelly’s best material by a long shot, with ‘Tongues’ he serves up a somewhat fresh track (particularly on the production tip), one which should put back in good stead with Urban radio.

Hit or Miss?

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (154)

• Tyler

Tyler (140)

• rita ora can win a oscar

rita ora can win ... (137)

• Mark111

Mark111 (81)

1. July 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm
    trizzy says:

Sounds busy as hell. I’ll pass…

2. July 13, 2010 at 5:06 pm
    Bacqui says:

Roberto Kelly and Luda can make me speak in tongues at any given day!,,I am in luv wit da song!

3. July 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm
    Truthfully says:

Hmmm….maybe it will grow on me.

4. July 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm
    Aaron says:

disaster !!!!!

5. July 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm
    FreshUrbanEnt says:

HMMM I AGREE WITH @TRIZZY THE TRACK IS WAY TOO BUSY. GOT TOO MUCH GOIN ON. MAYBE IT WILL GROW ON ME THO.

CHECK OUT MY NEW ENTERTAINMENT SITE >>> http://WWW.FRESHURBANENT.CO.UK

6. July 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm
    stan says:

i like it. i’m glad it’s not another “a milli” rehash

7. July 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm
    RickyRnB says:

Here’s the link to Jazmine Sullivan’s new single “Holding You Down!” http://www.mediafire.com/?kymjeudzjtw

8. July 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm
    nothing but my opinion says:

Ludas part is fiyahh!

9. July 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm
    Rated x says:

really people? really?
    this man raped and peed on a child and we still talking about how hes the best…..
    shaking my head..

10. July 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm
    AKisdabest says:

garbage!!!

11. July 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm
    Fred says:

Dont like it, although I like a lot of Kellys songs

12. July 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm
    CrackIsWack says:

This is straight awful… why do these artists continually try to fit into boxes they just don’t belong? There’s no reason that R. Kelly should be sound like Soldier Boy on a track! And the last thing R. Kelly needs is a song that alludes to anything sexual. NEXT!

13. July 13, 2010 at 7:20 pm
    miss says:

this is better then bottums up the new single from trey songz ft nicki minaj.. :D go kellsz

14. July 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm
    queenb says:

love it! this will be a hit mark my words

15. July 13, 2010 at 7:48 pm
    HB says:

I notice lately Artists who are not Selling Records taking Jabs at Jesus and God Almighty, do you think by making a song like ‘Tongues’ is going to Bless by God to sell your soul twice to gain your fame now this!! Hail mary and s** what happen to you … “We Just Lost One” Our God Forgives even you Robert Kelly.

HB
    ATL

16. July 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm
    GangsterA says:

Nice song i like luda verse tgj hurry and post trey first single it feat nicki and her verse is hoter than hot

17. July 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm
    Hell yea says:

R. Kelly slayed this!!!!!!!!!!

18. July 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm
    U DO DO IS STALKING CIARA says:

love kels but not this song.

19. July 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm
    sugarfree says:

I guess this song will likely do well on urban radio. It is better than some of his most recent tracks but still a disappointment when you think of the musical capabilities of this guy. His last two or three records have been really predicable and juvenile. Kelly is a 40+ year old man doing is best to appeal to the younger demographic. I just don’t understand why artists want to appeal to people that don’t have jobs. Make music that reflects your age and level of maturity and maybe people will respect it. I thought the point of calling your self an artist is due to your ability to produce something new and intriguing rather than predictable.

20. July 13, 2010 at 11:27 pm
    sky says:

Please do not tell me they sampled crazy frog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8XvM5wKFrU&feature=related LMAO

21. July 14, 2010 at 12:24 am
    NAS ( B Rockah Stan 4eva) says:

This is not the R Kelly I know and love. Come on step it up bro!!!!!!!

22. July 14, 2010 at 2:02 am
    Anne says:

MISS…don’t like it all.

23. July 14, 2010 at 3:54 am
    incognegro says:

As repulsed as I am by R. Kelly, I still can’t manage to not find some of his music entertaining. The s** talk makes me shudder, but the overall feel of his songs are still moderately enjoyable, including this one. I thought that the track was a bit messy and confusing at first, but the more that I started to listen to it, the more I enjoyed it. But if I cannot say anything nice about R.Kelly, I can say that he manages to keep his pulse on what’s current without sounding like he’s trying to hard – nice track!!!

24. July 14, 2010 at 7:49 pm
    bennett Kofi says:

@ANNE, if u don’t like it den go bed, who told ya to listen. God why are some people so stupid like dat, u don’t like but u’re still here. @sugar free, stop your talking because u don’t know anything abt music, and if u’re truly an r kelly fan den u would know dat da man has always been versatile. this is da 21st century, not da 90’s so we do 21st century, and it is through his diversity dat has made him this BIG. and this also why artist like JOE, MAXWELL, AND GENUWINE don’t get shine because they’re ONE WAY.@ crackiswak, shut da f** up, and suicide yrself, if u chick, i call u p****y and if u a d***, u are d**k,if u don’t like his music, den go bed, what da f** is wrong wit y’all, now MOVE B****H get out da way.

25. July 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm
    FUTURESTARdelux says:

LAME…. can this dirty paedophile just go away?

26. July 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm
    HookerBoots says:

I..think..i..like..it??? But its getting to the point where I can’t tell him from Trey Songz. Trey pretty much stole how he delivers music from R.

27. July 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm
    Bapo says:

Huge Kllz fun, but this song doesn’t get to me. It’s not bad, but it’s not good either. Hopefully we can look forward to better stuff on his Zodiac album. Check out that “I know you got a man but I dont care” joint by Kellz, that’s the kind of s*** I like.

28. July 21, 2010 at 7:24 am
    Kellz lover says:

@ HB

How is he taking jabs at Jesus? Are you serious. What are you talkin about “sold his soul”? You obviously don’t know about all the gospel songs R. Kelly has written and recorded (Lean on me w/ Kirk Franklin, Trade in my life, the U Saved Me album, etc). Know your facts before making assumptions. As far as the Hail Mary part, Tupac got a song called Hail Mary and nobody’s trippin on that. Biggie says “Hail Mary full of Grace” in Dead Wrong and again nobody cares. I love Pac and Biggie, but the double standard is ridiculous. It’s so funny to me how other artists do things and they get a pass and nobody cares, but Kellz do something and n***** wanna trip. I’ve noticed there’s always a double standard for Kellz and other artists. Hypocrites.

As for the song, it’s growing on me. The more I listen, the more I like. Not a classic Kellz joint, but it’s okay. More for a mixtape than for an album tho. IMO Kelly’s at his best when he writes and produce his own songs, than working with other producers.