New Video: Jason Derulo – ‘What If’

shares

The movie-esque video for Jason Derulo‘s fourth single ‘What If’ premièred a few moments ago. Check it out below (a must see) …

{Shout out to KeviPod!}

Engaging video, and not a bad song either. Jason, from my standpoint, has always possessed much in the way of star potential, however a lethal combo of auto-tune and cringe-worthy Michael Jackson impersonations have – prior to now- over-shadowed that.

Having slowed it down and left the at-times good / at-times appalling choreography on the back-burner, both this song and video present the 20 year old in a much more musically-durable light than his (successful, yet somewhat throw-away) earlier releases.

With Chris Brown on the comeback trail, Trey Songz somewhat doing his thing, and Derulo proving to be more than a one-hit wonder, the male Urban/Pop market is looking increasingly promising.

shares

1. July 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm
    UGh says:

I’m glad. we need more urban singers. I agree he over does it sometime with the MJ moves. he needs to make it his own like Usher and Chris does. With that said, i miss my MJ :(

2. July 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm
    spring says:

interesting…

3. July 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm
    the truth says:

why is sam always so critical before he says something nice…

4. July 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm
    Carl says:

Words fail me as to why he has done so well.His songs, voice and dancing are mediocre and he was terrible at T4.Plus like Taio Cruz why does he never put any sisters in his videos.

5. July 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm
    AlexanderTG says:

Like the sound of the song, but the lyrics / video are a bit downbeat for the summer.

6. July 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm
    Heaven says:

certain scenes .*le sigh* and then a o_O at the bridge- ” dut dut doodle” fits exactly where for this video? His voice is okay but Prince side eye on originality .

7. July 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm
    ********************** says:

@UGH

I agree with you but even CB and Usher are guilty of blatantly swaggerjacking the KOP’s moves. They just don’t do it as much as Jason

8. July 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm
    Nat says:

Why a shoutout to KeviPod? is the blog back?

9. July 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm
    Tonio says:

VERY CREATIVE!

10. July 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm
    yeahh says:

Oh l like this video….it’s very interesting…..

11. July 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm
    ERRR?! says:

awwww

12. July 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm
    ERRR?! says:

awww

13. July 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm
    mel says:

when i saw this video the first fing i said : ” didn’t chris brown do that in superhuman?”. Jason is doing quite well however, I feel he shud try and make fings more original rather than copying.

14. July 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm
    Emma says:

I LOVE JASON DERULO!!! hes AMAZING!! and his SONGS ARE AMAZING!!
    I LOVE YOUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

15. July 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm
    heyrickybobby says:

anybody know who the leading lady is?

16. July 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm
    None Ya says:

I’m sorry but if a car is about to hit me I would have dipped. I’d be like oh hell no and goodbye. Shoot! I’d sprint. If I were him I’d be like forget you you wasn’t even that cute!

17. July 10, 2010 at 7:33 pm
    X,Y,"and Z" says:

I swear, this Jason Derulo is soooooo “color-struck”; it’s sickening! … He’s more color-struck than Trent/Sam (their constant-adoration of/for “The White Rapper” is well-documented and frequently-revisited)!

… And-I’ll-say, yet-again – he’s NOT 20! … That’s got-to-be his “Hollywood age” <–Real Talk!!

This dude is obviously trying to be "the Anti-CBreezy" ….!!!!

I'd wager, he watched that BET-Award Prince/MJ tribute with horror and silent-trepidation! … With-every 'step-and-spin' Breezy made, Jason saw his career slipping-away from him! He's now confused, desperate and 'knocked-off-balance': just-how-can "one-single performance" redeem who-was-just-recently-seen-as pariah; outcast; banished-to-walk-among-lepers ….???

@Mr. Derulo — It's preordained; the "work of angles", commanded from "HIS word"! And we all saw you snicker at-the-mention-of CBreezy's name, ON-THIS VERY-BLOG!

You're a scavenger, Jason! You "collect the remains"; a "bottom dweller!"; a "bottom feeder"; you "pray for night," while other's 'rejoice-the-new-day'; you're figuratively a 'grave-robber' and literally a "contraption made-to-order!"

"Your-cover's now-blown!" … "Back-to-the-depths with-you," Jason! … Not-to-worry, you'll-not-be 'in-need-of-company'; there-you'll-find, Reality-TV rejects; Casting-couch concubines; and those-who-felt-fame, without-talent: THEY-so-entitled ….!!!

X,Y,"and Z" — OUT … !!!!

18. July 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm
    ADE says:

BORING

19. July 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm
    JD says:

I love how his singles do so well but his album flopped

20. July 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm
    Emma says:

well if non of u like it, why are u watching it
    GET ME!
    god leave the bloody good reviews for his fans!

21. July 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm
    jess says:

SAM ARE U FOR REAL.. ALL U HAVE DUN IS SLAG HIM OFF AND NOW UR SAYING HES SUCH A TALENT.. R U EVEN FOR REAL

22. July 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm
    cafflo says:

I was hoping for a video for Sky’s The Limit next but I love this one as well

23. July 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm
    Fred says:

My main problem with Jason is that he copies Chris Brown too much its like he wants to be him or something. I think Jason is a GREAT songwriter and if he would write for others he would make much more money but thats just my opinion.

His songs are catchy, with great lyrics, I think that is the only reason they are popular. Just imo. But then everyone is shocked when they see him perform live and he looks horrible and sounds just as bad. lol

Stage presence-HORRID
    Songwriting capability- Fantastic
    Studio singing- Fantastic because its with help from equipment
    Dancing- HORRID
    Singing Live- HORRID
    Cute factor- no comment

Maybe he should co- write songs for Chris Brown they would then both take over the world but oh wait Jason does not condone domestic violence, so instead he is going to try to be Chris instead, whatever

24. July 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm
    A says:

Great single choice & great video! I just wish it wouldve ended differently.

25. July 11, 2010 at 12:57 am
    FreshUrbanEnt says:

I DNT GET THE HYPE WITH JASON DERULO. HE’S STILL TALENTED THO I’M JUST NOT REALLY A FAN OF HIS MUSIC.

CHECK OUT MY NEW ENTERTAINMENT SITE >>> http://WWW.FRESHURBANENT.CO.UK

26. July 11, 2010 at 3:25 am
    Criss_Vaughn says:

I like Jason Derulo. Vocally, he’s not at al impressive but he makes up for providing great music that people love.

He’s the male version of Rihanna to me tho. He drops hit records but cant sell albums.

27. July 11, 2010 at 3:29 am
    rick says:

um highly doubt this song will be a hit in the US..maybe on urban radio, but this music hasn’t been played on mainstream radio for close to 3 years. But, don’t get me wrong, it’s a good song. I do prefer “The Sky’s the Limit”

28. July 11, 2010 at 4:22 am
    PLAIN AND SIMPLE says:

Naw!!!

29. July 11, 2010 at 4:55 am
    Sally says:

OK so there’s this really poppy girl band in Australia called Trinity and apparently they’re supposed to be staring in this clip…. firstly they’re crap and they’ve been bragging about being in this clip and you can’t even see their faces or know that they’re even in it hahaha soooooo funny, nothing to brag about girls!!!!
    Jason, what are you doing by working with these girls?? They’re crap!!!!

30. July 11, 2010 at 6:16 am
    La'Wayne says:

LOVE the song…its been one of my favorites for a while…the whole cd is really good tho…Nice video too…somethin different

31. July 11, 2010 at 6:44 am
    Dave says:

Like the song, like the video. Jason Rules, end.

32. July 11, 2010 at 7:43 am
    Team Breezy Fah Sheezy says:

Jason’s voice is high-pitched and crackly. He sounds like a 13 year old adolescent. Everytime, and I do mean EVERYTIME one of his songs come on the radio, I change it! I can’t handle his or Ke$ha’s voice! >:-{

33. July 11, 2010 at 11:56 am
    pinkpop says:

Looooooooooooove that video, best I’ve seen in a while

34. July 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm
    GangsterA says:

Great video + great song = anthoer hit for jason

35. July 12, 2010 at 1:00 am
    DJ says:

WHATCHA SAY = WITH YOU (by chris brown) , WHAT IF= SUPERHUMAN (by chris brown) LISTEN DERULO IMMA LET YA FINISH BUT CHRIS BROWN IS DA BEST SINGER OF ALL TIME (after MJ ) NOW f*** OUTTA HERE AND LET THOSE THINGS TOO REAL ARTISTS LIKE USHER OR CHRIS BROWN

36. July 12, 2010 at 2:28 am
    "Dj Y2k Malone" says:

his face is too big for his body and why he hasn’t had a black female as the lead yet in any of his videos…SMH

37. July 12, 2010 at 6:11 am
    VA STAND UP!!! says:

@Fred: I couldn’t have said it better myself! You said everything I wanted to say and some more! Perfecto!! Lol!

I don’t hate Jason or knock his hustle. I am sure he is living his dream and making that dough, can’t hate him for that. This song isn’t even that bad and the video isn’t either, but like someone said above me, it’s too similar to CB’s ‘Suuperhuman’. It’s something that CB has already done, but CB did it first and better. All his dance moves look like bootleg MJ impressions. There is nothing orginal about dude!

Jason is an decent song writer, but I just can’t take him seriously as an ‘artist’. I just don’t think he has the ‘it’ factor. I think that fact that he has had so many hits singles, and then his album flopped hard let’s you know how important a look really is. I’ll admit as a CB fan I do think that the fact that CB is very attractive helps him a lot as far as the ‘s** appeal’. That’s where Jason is lacking. The way he dresses and carries himself, constantly get him the ‘gay’ references. I’m not say that he is gay, but he lacks the s** appeal.

Also JD is not a good performer! He sucks ass! He can write a decent song, but when it comes time for a performance he fails. His dance moves are so stale and gerneric, they never leave you with ‘Wow’ it’s just looks like he is imitating something he saw someone else do. He looks stiff an ackward, he doesn’t look fluid with his moves.

I think dude should just stick to songwriting cause I don’t think he will ever be a big star. He won’t reach CB’s level. I mean honeslty the only time I hear about dude is on TGJ. That’s it. I’m not hatin on dude, it’s just my honest opinion.

38. July 12, 2010 at 7:04 am
    VA STAND UP!!! says:

@Carl: Co-sign! That’s something I noticed too. He has NEVER had a black girl as a lead woman in his video! Not once! Trust, it is all marketing.

I’m not gonna say that he is trying to ‘be’ CB, but I wouldn’t doubt that his team is pushing him and trying to market him to capture CB’s mainstream market (white folks). That’s why I think that he always has a white girl in his video as a leading lady. All his dancers are white as well, and his back up singers. It’s all strategic.

Also, Jason is not r&b, he is strictly pop and I don’t think that he is trying to appeal to the urban market at all. Not that I care, cause I don’t think that urban market is checking for anyway.

CB is r&b/pop. Besides Usher (who IMO time has passed), there is no one else that can do r&b like CB. Then he can transition to pop so easily. CB versatile and he dominates in his category. JD still needs to catch up.

39. July 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    thomas says:

He deserves at least to get into the top ten ..

I hope he gets the 4th spot

This americano song .. i got tired of hearing it all the time

40. July 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm
    Lisa says:

I’m sorry but I have to respond to all chris brown lovers- Jason derulo haters on here-

Comparisons between their videos is ridiculous What if – superhuman and whatcha say – with you are four completly different videos with songs about completly different things!!!

What is comparable is chris browns dancing with jasons. Now that is similar. I sense that in fact all the chris brown lovers who are Jason derulo haters who have taken the time to write on here to slate Jason are infact jealous. I don’t go looking for topics on chris browns music and insult him or the fact that he beats women as I could not give a toss about him.

Jason has managed to release an album full of great songs with meaning and should be applauded for just that. Not critised because he dances like MJ ( who infact is a legend so I see a comparision to him as a compliment) or questioned on his album flopping and hi singles doing well when we live in a highly technical world now where downloading individual songs is the norm nor should he have his compleltly different videos compared to chris brown’s.

Competition is healthy and chris will nee to step up now! Chris brown fans need to stop being bullies like their idol and accept that Jason is a good guy with great music and accept that the only reason they tale the time to slate JD is because they feel threatened!

Rant over!

Jason- your music is amazing and the video for what if is refreshing and original as well as being really well thought out and told!

Keep up the good work! Your true fans adore you xx

Jason derulo is a great artist in his own right as it chris brown and the likes of usher.

41. July 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm
    SHENICA BRYAN says:

I THINK HE IS SOOOOOOOO HOT HE’S JUS TRYNA DO HIS THING LIKE EVERY OTHER PERSON SO IF YA’LL GONNA HATE AND WANNA POST BAD COMMENTS ABOUT HIS SONGS OR VIDEOS INSTEAD WRITE IT IN YOUR DIARY LOCK IT UP AND KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

42. August 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm
    faith says:

jason is so s*** i love him

43. August 31, 2010 at 11:22 pm
    Demi says:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. October 19, 2010 at 4:41 pm
    kaylee o'neal aka missy says:

hey at least yall ain’t talkin bad about him thank you like i said he’s my man too don’t forget it

45. October 30, 2010 at 3:47 am
    monkus says:

ok, i think that this video was beautiful, i honestly think that a story like that is one of the most beautiful stories ever told. and his music and lyrics fit it perfectly. i feel sorry for all you other guys out there who don’t see the point, you guys will never feel the kind of intensity that this story holds.

46. November 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm
    Wow says:

Reallly??! Um, no one has mentioned how terrible this video is…. definitely one of the worst I’ve ever seen. The acting was terrible, it was not made well at all, it didn’t flow, and it was SO cheesey and hokey. Ugh. So rough :o(

47. November 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm
    HOTASREAGAN says:

i dont understand why it wont f***ing play i’ve been trying 4 20 mins

48. November 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm
    HOTASSREAGAN says:

HEY I DONT KNOW WHAT UR NAME IS BUT UR THE ONE ON TOP OF MY OTHER COMMENT IT SAYS WOW ADN THIS SONG IS AWESOME

49. November 23, 2010 at 3:05 pm
    C_San says:

Man, yall be hatin! I mean for real. Seems like people on here got no taste, no variety. He’s a talented artist and dancer. I mean I’d sure as hell take his dancing talent. As much as yall compare Jason to Chris Brown, they’re two different styles. Chris Brown is more R&B/hip-hop, where as Derulo is more Pop/R&B. Both have talent. Anyways, I’m only 19 and I got taste in music. Derulo’s talented. But back on point, His ‘What If’ video is real good. I honestly love it and hate it haha. It’s good. It makes you feel kinda down like ‘Aw damn.’ Then again it can give you a positive feeling too. With that said, I’m done bein soft. All yall other dudes out there hatin, put the hater-ade down and get some damn taste! I like my rap, like Drake and Kanye. But I like some Jason Derulo, and some other songs from other genres to.

50. December 7, 2010 at 7:48 pm
    PIPCHIC2012 says:

I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH IT IS JUST SO AMAZING HOW HE CAME UP WITH SOMETHING LIKE THIS VIDEO. AND IT IS SO SAD I HOPE THAT REALLY DIDNT HAPPEN TO BECAUSE HE WILL BE SO SAD. BUT HE A VERY TALENTED GENTLEMAN WITH A MIND THAT HE WANTS TO SHARE TO THE WORLD AND IT AMAZING.

51. February 8, 2012 at 9:12 am
    android widgets says:

New Video: Jason Derulo – 'What If' | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty? I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks! your article about New Video: Jason Derulo – 'What If' | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty?Best Regards Craig