New Song: Austin Brown – ‘Target Practice’ (A Must-Listen!)

austin brown 21 e1287329492357 New Song: Austin Brown   Target Practice (A Must Listen!)

Enter Austin Brown; nephew of a certain Michael and Janet Jackson (and son of one-time Pop star Rebbie Jackson).

The 25 year old is looking to continue the legacy of his iconic family by venturing into music. Mentored and executive produced by Rodney ‘Darkchild’ Jerkins, Brown has been honing his craft since the age of 13 – with the fruits of such labour being his debut LP ’85’ (referencing his year of birth).

Set for release next year on his own imprint, Royal Factory, the album is preceded by lead single ‘Target Practice’ – which was produced by Jerkins. You can listen to the song below, as well as a preview of its Tom DeSanto-directed video. DeSanto is renown for his work on the ‘X-Men’ and ‘Transformer’ movies.

Do you think Austin has what it takes to further the Jackson legacy?

• October 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm
    GETMELOLLY says:

There’s ALOT going on in this one track! One might say it’s over produced!
    However the video looks like it’ll be great! And I’m sure he has BAGS of talent! He has Jackson blood running through his vains!

• October 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm
    Trent Is The Retard says:

CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK. SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE MJ BUT DUDE HAS GOT TO DISTINGUISH HIMSELF MORE. OTHERWISE HE WILL BE COMPARED TO MJ 4EVER AND OF COURSE WE KNOW WHO WINS THAT CONTEST. LOOKS A BIT LIKE MJ FROM CERTAIN ANGLES.

• October 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm
    SevenFootSounds says:

HIT

• October 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm
    CIARADABESS says:

NICE!!!!

• October 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm
    jay says:

love it!!!!

• October 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm
    magdalena says:

lovely!!! he’s cute as well :)

• October 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm
    UGh says:

I don’t know about the song it has too much going on. He can definitely sing and he somewhat sounds like MJ. I wish him the best of luck. Oh and he needs to ease off on the MJ moves and be unique he’s already a Jackson and that’s already a big deal.

• October 17, 2010 at 5:35 pm
    Heaven says:

Maybe its me but a big nope for a host of reasons.

• October 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm
    MB says:

He has a nice voice and the song is hot, but NOT a good single.

He does MJ justice, but too bad there are too many artists our right now already imitating his uncle, so he’s too late. :(

• October 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm
    darrellentertainment says:

That’s my buddy, finaly Sam, I’ve been emailing you about Austin Brown since 2008 and your finally on board. This name needs to be a fixture here at TGJ. I did a review on Youtube actually the first youtube review on him. He’s really nice and I’ve been blessed to speak with him on many occations. He’s really humble and that what took me by surprise here’s my youtube review of Austin Brown (which is the first one on Youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbCUrf-nHQ thanks Sam, for showcasing him, and check out his footwork !!!

• October 17, 2010 at 5:55 pm
    DION-ISH says:

OHHH I Cant Wait to see where he goes in the industry, will be interesting….He seems cool.

I remeber when he said he wanted Rihanna to remake his mom hit centipede LOL…ahh dont think so son, but thats cute of him…

• October 17, 2010 at 6:05 pm
    harvey says:

“Hit” He looks like MJ in the eye’s.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm
    elleuk says:

i agree i do think there is alot going on, like 3 songs mashed up.
    but i like his voice and the chorus and i think the song will grow on me in time.
    but a great first single overall, and a welcome change to the samey samey music on the radio.
    does anybody know if he can dance, im interested to see if he can bust a move like his uncle and aunt.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm
    elleuk says:

just watched the video, and seen him dance.
    hes gonna be big, and not just beacuse of his uncle, chris brown neyo hold onto your your wigs.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm
    FUTURESTARdelux says:

HE IS GOOD AND I LIKE THE SONG BUT THEY NEED TO GET RID OF SOME OF THE HORNS OR SOMETHING. HE LOOKS WEIRD IN THE PHOTO BUT IN THE VIDEO HE WAS REALLY CUTE AND VERY NICE.
    IT’S TRUE EVERYBODY IS ACTING LIKE MJ BUT LET’S LET HIS OWN NEPHEY DO IT INSTEAD OF NE HO LOL

P.S I LOVE HOW HE DID CIARA’S OPEN LEG MOVE FROM THE “GIMME DAT” VID & THEN JANELLE MONAE’S “TIGHTROPE” THING BUT WHATEVER HE IS GOOD.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:27 pm
    JAYLA says:

^^^^^ I KNEW YOU WERE A GAY MALE FROM ALL YOUR DUMB COMMENTS, UGH THIS SITE IS OVER CAPACITY WIT GAY MEN

• October 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm
    Chris says:

This song is hot. I must agree though, it is too much going on but now seeing a preview of how good the video may be, this song will blow up. He can dance, sing.. he’s a Jackson. Maybe later on he and his Auntie-Pop Queen, Janet can do danceoff like in Scream.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm
    Heaven says:

He sounds a lot like his uncle (mimicking) but since MJ is gone he may have a better chance for a minute. In time he’ll have to stand on his own. I’m curious about whatever happened to his cousins? I see folks have forgotten the Great “Three T’s” huh? .lol

• October 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm
    Karina says:

@JAYLA
    Sam needs take a women to do the bloggs.

• October 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm
    JT says:

*YAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN*

• October 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm
    TheMan4U says:

good luck but the song is wack

• October 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm
    Diane says:

We have Chris, Usher and Neyo. So we need Austin Brown for what again?

• October 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm
    o em gee says:

what so good about this??

• October 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm
    sonofbaldwin says:

This song might be a hit in Europe, but no way it’s going to be a hit in the States. It sounds like some track Big Time Rush (on Nickelodeon) rejected. Innocuous, forgettable, pop garbage.

• October 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm
    likeCAESAR says:

Went to high school with him out in vegas. Glad to see him gettin sum shine. Good luck Auggie…

• October 17, 2010 at 7:44 pm
    wd76 says:

I like it too. I also did an article on it earlier

• October 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm
    James says:

He looks like Dwight from Real Housewives of Atlanta in that photo…

• October 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm
    MUSIC LOVER says:

This sounds like a worse version of Colby’s “What You Got.” I don’t like it. There will never be another MJ, he needs to pave his own path, regardless if they are blood related.

• October 17, 2010 at 8:10 pm
    Blue Kid says:

He sounds almost like MJ!

• October 17, 2010 at 8:16 pm
    Keith says:

Glad to see Austin getting some mention and I will like him if he simply continues the Jackson path but I am anxious that the public won’t bite. Been listening to the song for a while and it’s cute but I don’t know if it can grab the13-25 year old audience that is important for a bonafide hit. The catch-22 is that if he did something completely different that would stand an equal chance of being rejected.

Perhaps launching in Europe might be another alternative. Kelly Rowland seems to be making a “go” of it.

Nonetheless, I will be behind him all the way…..

• October 17, 2010 at 8:32 pm
    TWITTER.COM/SEAN_DA_GODDESS says:

THE SONG SOUNDS WACK CAUSE YALL DON’T LIKE REAL MUSIC!

HE SOUNDS DAMN GOOD. HE HAS THAT JACKSON SOUND! IT’S NOT A MJ SOUND! ITS A JACKSON SOUND.

HE LOOKS LIKE JANET AND MJ

• October 17, 2010 at 8:45 pm
    NICKY says:

UH OH , THESE RB DUDES BETTER WATCH OUT!!!!!

DUDE IS s*** AS HELL , CAN DANCE AND SING!!!!!!!!

• October 17, 2010 at 8:49 pm
    Ch... says:

I’m just here for Janet.

@Keith – Kelly Rowland is flopping in Europe and America.

• October 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm
    Miss Chick Boom says:

he is so cute and he seems talented. I can tell he is going to be the next big thing. We need some more male talent in the industry right now.

• October 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm
    Kris J says:

i’m so excited for new music from the jackson family. austin is going to go far because he is actually talented. he is indeed doing mj’s legacy justice

i wonder if he is going to have any features on the album from his cousins

• October 17, 2010 at 9:35 pm
    ~Team Weezy~ says:

Um, sorry guys but he is NOT cute to me. But he does look like MJ a bit. Their genes are very strong!

I actually really like this song, though. Again, he sounds a lot like MJ!

The video looks really interesting. He looks like he can dance his ass off! LOVE IT!

• October 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm
    2BAD2BME says:

THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS ON OVERLOAD TOO MUCH TO PROCESS…CAN WE LET SOME s*** DIGEST? DAMN!

• October 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm
    FUTURESTARdelux says:

@JAYLA WTF DOES ME LIKING GUYS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? AM I DRESSED IN A f****** LEOTARD DOING THE SINGLE LADIES DANCE? NO SO STFU…
    IT’S THAT KIND OF COMMENT THAT SHOWS HOW STUPID AND IGNORANT YOU ARE, NOT ALL GAY PEOPLE ARE LIKE SCAM & BENT…

@CH… HOW IS KELLY ROWLAND FLOPPING IN EUROPE? I LIVE IN THE UK, “WHEN LOVE TAKES OVER” WAS NO1 ALL OVER (YES I KNOW IT’S GUETTA’S BUT SHE IS THE ONLY SINGER), “COMMANDER” WASN’T HUGE BUT IT WAS DEFINATELY A HIT ALL OVER AND SHE’S ABOUT TO RELEASE HER 2ND SINGLE “FOREVER AND A DAY” WHICH HAS BEEN ON RADIO AND TV ALL THE TIME. #SIDDOWN

• October 17, 2010 at 10:46 pm
    KBJr. says:

It’s been said, but it bears repeating. The song has a nice sound, but it’s too wordy. The hook is lost in a jumble of lyrics, and the production is far too busy.

I don’t mind the MJ “mimicking”…just make sure you do it right.

• October 18, 2010 at 12:22 am
    Kio says:

Please stop doing this techno pop s***, that s*** is old and been played!!

• October 18, 2010 at 12:59 am
    dboy says:

wish best of luck, music ind. needs someone like him, chris has gone ghetto, trey is subpar n neyo is not even worth d mention

• October 18, 2010 at 1:13 am
    Reina says:

sorry I couldnt listen to the whole track, im so tired of the pop/techno sound. Its making my stomach sick. Maybe when I see the video I will change my opinion.

• October 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm
    Fred says:

Auggie!!! AKA Applehead :) I love the way Austin sounds(just like his uncle) and I love the song. I hope he does great this is his first song to be released to the public., I followed him on facebook and myspace a long time ago and he had a ballad that he never released I asked him why he didnt release it and why he wasnt making music. I guess now he finally is, which is great. This song sounds like a mix of Janet’s and Michaels melodies mixed.

Go Applehead!!

• October 18, 2010 at 10:16 pm
    UMMM............. says:

UMMM……..This is a hot mess! I love his mom’s song Centipede though!..LOL

Being MJ’s nephew is a good door opener but he’s got to make it own his own. Those of us who loved MJ will give him a look but he’s got to come better then this. IMO!

• October 19, 2010 at 12:13 am
    Luv-Lee says:

I wish him the best!! I like the song, but its kinda awkward to sing the words “target practice”. Doestn flow to me but I love DarkChild’s production. And YASSSS!!! Auggie can DANCE!!!! :D

• October 20, 2010 at 10:33 am
    LJ says:

TOtally marketable, has jackson as his uncle, hope he makes his own style though. I think he should be a lil edgier. Cause im seeing some tempation moves up in there. Cant wait for the video. He SURE CAN DANCE THOUGH. SO THATS AMAZING!

• March 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm
    Charles Bundy says:

You all are very ignorant to compare him to his uncle. His name is Austin Brown and he’s his own man. Can’t he be his own artist without without comparing him to MJ???
    The world has already head MJ and doesnt need another…What we need is a fresh new talent…a talent named Austin Brown…I’m looking forward to his album release but like most beginning artists out there the 2nd album is usually better and more realized.

• June 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm
    CAT says:

He has his own sound, amazing

• March 23, 2012 at 11:19 am