To Our Readers

Soulja Boy: “I Wrote ‘Whip My Hair'”

souljaboy e1294093682131 Soulja Boy: I Wrote Whip My Hair

With the epic failure that was Soulja Boy‘s ‘DeAndre’s Way’ album, one could be forgiven for assuming 2010 to have been a disappointing year for the ‘Crank That’ rapper.

However, if there lay any truth in the 20 year old’s latest comments, last year may have been one of his most successful – due to a certain Willow Smith.

Full story below…

Writing on Twitter today, the rapper said:

soulja boy whip my hair Soulja Boy: I Wrote Whip My Hair

Interestingly, a That Grape Juice search on the credits for ‘Whip My Hair’ only yielded the name of its producer – Jukebox. If indeed, the tattooed star did pen the song (in any capacity), credit is most certainly due. For though the smash isn’t lyrically compelling, it would show Soulja Boy to be more than the joke he comes across as. What’s more, given its success, he would have been paid quite handsomely too.

1. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:43 pm
    CURLY SUE says:

THATS NICE…..

2. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm
    UGh says:

it’s funny because the first time i heard the song i thought about souja boy. i wonder if he really wrote it.

3. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm
    Sublime00 says:

If you check the credits it clearly says the song was written by Ronald Jackson & Janae Rockwell. Soulja Boy probably, at MOST, received a credit because they sampled his opening line in Whip My Hair. C’mon now, ass arrogant he is…Whip My Hair has been a solid hit since OCTOBER and you think he waited this long to claim it?! DONT BE FOOLED.

4. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:46 pm
    #TEAM ALJA says:

TEAM ALJA!!!! PRETTIEST GIRL VIDEO DROPS TONIGHT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7IEA2FXUw

5. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm
    Carmello says:

This “Ghostwriter” stuff gives me the creeps. Imagined how many songs out there have been ghostwritten

Any who, good for him.

6. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm
    Carmello says:

*cough beyonce* cough Beyonce*

7. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm
    Geronimo Deuces-Champion says:

wateva soulja……

8. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm
    Nichole says:

So, what is he saying? That he ghost wrote the song? When I looked up the writing credits for WMH, his name didn’t show up on the list…

By the way, SB time is up. His last album was one of the biggest disastrous flops ever.

9. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:57 pm
    langfordglf says:

Well if he did not write it the truth will surely come out, in addition, why would he lie therefore, in the end he will look the fool. Remember there are ghostwriters, they say someone be writing Diddy’s lines for him. Then again, maybe he is trying to generate sells for his CD.

10. |
    January 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm
    XyonCiMinaj says:

Lies and Gay Rumors.

11. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:01 am
    Prince says:

Okay Soulja Boy is Definitely gay now 4 writing that song. Thanks 4 giving us a club banger that song is Soo Epic.

12. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:04 am
    Tami says:

Yeah and Waka Flaka wrote Single Ladies by Beyonce.PLEASE n**** didn’t write s***!SMH, my boy Jukebox and Janae wrote that s***!Soulja just made his album is the biggest FLOP EVER and he has to use a lil girl to get some HYPE DAMN SHAME!SMH.

13. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:04 am
    RonaldMatters.com says:

aint no success gon’ come to be if Soulja Boy wrote this song… all he gone do is take the royalty check and try to put out another album!!

NO THANKS!!!

14. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:05 am
    DJ says:

if you think about it sounds like he wrote it. take the lyrics, put soulja boys voice in your head and recite it it sounds just like something he would do.

15. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:06 am
    Tami says:

YEah and Waka Flaka Wrote SINGLE LADIES too!This n**** is LYING.Just because your flop ass album ain’t selling don’t mean you have to use a little girl to get some hype.SMH Whip MY Hair is hotter than any s*** this untalented n**** has put out.LMAO Shout-out to my boy Jukebox though and Janae who wrote the song.Shoutout to Juke for always writing Willow’s 2nd,3rd, and 4th single and producing it too.SMH He’s DOPE!

16. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:06 am
    Tami says:

My bad double post!I didn’t know it went through :)

17. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:07 am
    wateva says:

sam, i love you girl, but whenever you write “due to a certain…” its like nails on a f****** chalkboard!!

18. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:08 am
    RihannaForever says:

I doubt it. Anyways, he needs to do something this year besides flaunt his money. If he keeps spending without much of an income because his albums flop and his tours don’t sell, he’ll be broke soon/

19. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:09 am
    Destiny says:

Umm Soulja FLOP might have gotten credit for the “Hop up out the bed turn my swag on” but he did NOT write the song.PLEASE

20. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:15 am
    Anna says:

Man s*** like this pisses me off.Why is Soulja Boy in the game?This boy can’t rap and can’t write for s*** either. Pretty Boy Swag and all that s***.That’s why his album flopped.Sorry but it makes me MAD when people waste time on this trash and yet TRUE TALENT LIKE JAZMINE is just underrated.Bull shhit!

21. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:17 am
    Prince says:

As i listen 2 it the song it does have some Soulja Boy Flavor 2 it

22. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:22 am
    Randy says:

Well I don’t know the truth of Whip My Hair but I remember seeing his name when looking at Jazmine Sullivan’s – Bust Your Windows…. don’t know how much he would have done for it either but if he has maybe Khia IS a bigger joke than him

23. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:23 am
    Prince says:

Anna sometimes people jus want 2 here some music that is just fun and not 2 serious and emotional. If we didnt have music like this there would be no clubs and I need some clubs lol.

24. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:24 am
    True Blue says:

I’m gonna need proof to believe him.

@Carmello:

Getting writing credit for a couple of minor contributions a song is nowhere near the same as PRETENDING to write a song, idiot.

25. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:34 am
    i'm a billy goat says:

*XyonCiMinaj
    January 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm
    Lies and Gay Rumors.
    ****

ROTFLMAO!

Really though, if he did good for him! He needs some success after that disastrous 1st week CD sell. He is a horrible gimmick. He might do better just being a ghostwriter! IMO

26. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:36 am
    KIO says:

Even though Soulja boy is a c***, I give me credit fir writting that song, my niece loves it so much!! As much as a bash these artist, he get a few points for this song, if he wrote it!

27. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:37 am
    crbb says:

@anna
    100% agree with you… while jokes like soulja boi are still standing..crawling in the music industry real talents like jazmine sullivan, jo jo, kelly rowland ect are being underestimated and thrown around in bargin bins while soulja boi emians on the back shelf…this industrys so messed up!!

28. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:40 am
    CRISTY says:

@ Randy
    He’s got a writing credit on ‘Bust Your Windows’ because Jazmine uses the line ‘now watch me you’ from his song ‘Crank Dat”

29. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:41 am
    Tami says:

Okay so he probably got a credit for Hop Up Out the Bed Turn MY Swag on but he def made it seem like he WROTE the whole dang song!LOL

30. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:43 am
    Jahlal says:

GOOD FOR HIM!!! SOULJA BOY IS PRETTY COOL…

31. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:45 am
    the kiddz says:

@Carmello

Sit down with that s***.

32. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:50 am
    Jamie says:

His career went hammer, bammer, bammer, bammer!!!! NEXT!!!

33. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:51 am
    Nichole says:

@ Cristy. I’m wondering who in the hell would want to sample SB s***. His lyrics aren’t even good, and are just as corny ass mess.

I had no idea Jazmine sampled a line out of one of his songs. She just lost some credibility in my book.

34. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:52 am
    Nichole says:

“and are just as corny ass mess.’

a corny ass mess.

35. |
    January 4, 2011 at 1:07 am
    Anthony says:

Well either way, he did not have to come out and say it on twitter that he wrote the song. Now if he was in an interview and asked the question, a response would be different.

36. |
    January 4, 2011 at 1:24 am
    Blue Kid says:

Speechless! :)

37. |
    January 4, 2011 at 1:27 am
    s*** says:

Thats CUTE to know, Good 4 him.

If I were him I would have been Bragging MONTHS ago.

38. |
    January 4, 2011 at 1:27 am
    Harvey says:

Are you serious Soulja boy wrote that cause that so him all that swagg so we know he got Bella money.

39. |
    January 4, 2011 at 2:27 am
    BREEZYTHEBEST says:

Who gives a damn,NEXT.

40. |
    January 4, 2011 at 2:46 am
    KYLE says:

OK WHY THE HELL R PPL CALLING THIS SONG A SMASH???? IT PEAKED AT NUMBER 11 ON THE BILLBOARD CHART, DIDNT EVEN CRACK THE TOP 10. A SMASH WOULD BE CONSIDERED A STAY AT NUMBER 1 FOR SEVERAL WEEKS. AND WORLDWIDE THE SINLGE HASNT PERFORMED VERY WELL. IF IT WAS A “SMASH” IT WOULD HAVE HIT NUMBER 1 IN ALL THE MAJOR MUSIC MARKETS….SMDH PEOPLE R REALLY GIVING THIS SONG MORE CREDIT THAN IT DESERVES. IT WAS A POPULAR SONG BUT BY NO MEANS A HUGE HIT…..

41. |
    January 4, 2011 at 2:47 am
    tiff says:

Sorry Souljah Ploy, you’re gunna need more people because we don’t believe you!

42. |
    January 4, 2011 at 2:59 am
    CHECKMATE says:

He’s full of s***. Why would he write or co-write a song and not have his credits show? I can see an up and coming songwriter ghost write for a new artist like Willow Smith but Soulja Boy is pretty much known so there’s need to withhold his credit. Unless his pseudonym is Ronald Jackson or Janae Rockwell I dont believe any of this BS. He just says he wrote it cause of the sampling form his song, yaaawn!!

43. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:11 am
    Tami says:

@KYLE
    Stfu because for a 10 year old that is HELLA good and do you know how hard it was esp with Kesha and Rihanna on the chart?Let’s see you peak at number #11 with you debut single at 10 years old.STFU

44. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:12 am
    Tami says:

@Kyle
    And you need to do your research because it’s peaked it the top 20 worldwide and even make it number #2 Uk and #1 UK R&B w/o a performance on Billboard. And she reacher number 5 on US R&B.So what’s your deal hating on a 10 year old seriously?

45. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:12 am
    Tami says:

Performance on X-Factor sorry

46. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:23 am
    BENJAMIN says:

Whatever, I really can’t stand untalented famous people.

47. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:32 am
    Steph says:

Soulja Boy coo.
    ……………………………….BUT MY DUDE,,,, CeTerio Dontez on youtube is much better
    b on the look out!!!

48. |
    January 4, 2011 at 4:22 am
    lola says:

First of all… Soulja Boy sucks ass! He’s nothing but an uneducated fool who writes about stupid s***! He’s not even a damn rapper. I can’t stand him because of his immature and degrading lyrics. How are you going to write nasty lyrics about c****** on some ho? His mama sure didn’t raise his dumb ass right. He’s a 20 year old man and is still rapping about 12 year old s***.

Second of all, even if he did write Willow’s song… so what? Those lyrics are very immature and pointless so I wouldn’t be surprised if he did write them. Plus, “Whip My hair” didn’t even get a top 10. Yea it reached 11, but it wasn’t technically a hit.

Third of all, why is he going to announce that he wrote the song on Twitter? Isn’t the point of a ghost writer to remain silent? It sounds like he just wants to take credit because of that dumbass line “Hoped out of my bed and turned my swag on.”

49. |
    January 4, 2011 at 5:21 am
    KYLE says:

@TAMI WHY R U SO PRESSED???? FORGET THE FACT THAT SHE IS 10…IM TALKING ABOUT THE SONG ITSELF AND IT DIDNT EVEN HIT THE TOP 10 OF THE BILLBOARD HOT 100 SO ITS NOT A “SMASH” LIKE SAM IS SAYING. AND YEAH IT DID VERY WELL IN THE UK BUT THATS ABOUT IT ….AND BEING A TOP 20 HIT WORLWIDE IS NOT A “SMASH”…NUMBER 1 WOULD BE….STAY DELUSIONAL HUN I’LL LET U THINK THAT THIS WAS ONE OF THE BIGGEST HITS OF THE YEAR LMFAO

50. |
    January 4, 2011 at 5:42 am
    GangsterA says:

i don’t think he wrote the song do you know that willow co-wrote the song the writer said so in the making of whip my hair but shes not crediet as a writer smdh btw don’t be dumb and say beyoncé have gohstwriters how is that when everyone who co-wrote the song is crediet in her all of her songs do you even know what gohstwriter is ? Smh

51. |
    January 4, 2011 at 8:24 am
    thaman says:

#11 for a kid, and for her first song is a hit. A hit doesn’t have to go to #1 in order to be a hit. She’s doing her thing.

52. |
    January 4, 2011 at 9:12 am
    cash says:

lol he has “Hopped up out my bed, turned my swag on” trademarked assholes.

53. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm
    Yellow Gorillah says:

No Comment

I hate this guy so much he is just sooo talentlessss! wtf is he doing in this industry except giving us trash music

54. |
    January 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm
    youfool says:

I think you mean copyrighted… @cash

55. |
    January 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm
    gfhfgh says:

Happy 2011 !!! Want a new life this year?

:P ____ Bla c kw h it eF li rts. C” 0- M _____ :P

==Free to Join== The most successful interra cial da t ing c lub. If you are still waiting for your sweet “milk” or “chocolate”, don’t hesitate to check it !! Don’t let your babies wait too long for you !!

56. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm
    RONALDMATTERS.COM says:

He also wrote “Speakers Going Hammer.” Why isn’t he braggin’ about that?

57. |
    January 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm
    StayFreshYaki says:

“You are not alone”

“If you liked it than you should have put a ring on it”

“Just dance its gonna be okay”

Hop up in the club turn my swag on is that category. Please. He must have been sniffing more coke.

58. |
    January 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm
    Mr-DeBonair2U says:

The song was written by Janae Rockwell and Ronald “Jukebox” Jackson, with the latter producing the track. Either DeAndre Cortez Way changed his name completely or Mr. Way is a complete lier, & if thats the case Busta Rhyme wrote Roman’s Revenge for Nicki Minaj & Busta Bus said it on the remix “how you gon’ take my hot line and make it a hot song”?

59. |
    January 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm
    ~aMaZiNG.Lee~ says:

Um, where is Whitney’s “I wanna see the receipts” GIF when you need it?

60. |
    January 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm
    spunkypoop says:

NICE JOB!! Now Ima whip my hair back n forth!

61. |
    January 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    spunkypoop says:

Getting Money in 2011!!!

62. |
    January 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm
    Mya says:

I believe he wrote that song.that’s messed up they not trying to give him credit I would knock on will smiths door

63. |
    January 5, 2011 at 12:07 am
    VA STAND UP!!! says:

Well…I believe him. Lord knows it sounds like something he would write. When I first heard it and Willow said that line ‘hop up out the bed turn my swag on’ I immediately thought of him. I wasn’t thinking then he must have wrote it but that line was obviously in refernce to his hit ‘Turn My Swag On’. I believe Soulja Boy writes a lot of his ish.

His music obviously isn’t deep, meaningful, groundbreaking material, some may call it straight trash but he does write and he has had several hits, enough to keep him relevant for quite a few years. When you listen to his songs I don’t think its a stretch to say he wrote it cause they certainly sound like something his ass would come up with.

He is definitely not a musical genius and I think a lot a lot of people would consider the definition of what it wrong in the industry, but he has some credibility cause he write his own ish. Im not mad at him! He won’t be around forever so he might as well make that money while he can. Let’s just hope he saves some of it and doesn’t blow it all on jewelry.

FYI: Just because something doesn’t reach top ten on Hot 100 doesn’t mean it’s not a hit! You know damn well ya’ll heard that song everywhere and it was the talk on all the blogs for some time. For a freaking 10 year old that was a huge feat and something she should be very proud of. Stop trying to downplay her success! Some of you people, I swear. SMH.

64. |
    January 5, 2011 at 12:35 am
    TJ says:

Soulja got caught in a lie! BET Writer Eb the Celeb interviewed the real writer of the track:

65. |
    February 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm
    J MONEY says:

MAN THESE n***** HATIN ON SOULJA I KNOW HE CANT RAP WORTH s*** BUT THAT n**** GETTIN DAT BREAD AND THATS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS SO U BROKE ASS BUSTUS NEED TO QUIT HATIN CUS YEEN GOT s***

66. |
    July 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm
    KEMAABABE says:

I BELIEVEEEEE MY COUSINNNNNN

67. |
    August 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm
    Chalifox says:

Royce da 5’9″ writes for diddy.
    Bishop lemont writes for dr.dre.
    Kanye and Wayne swapped verses.
    Gillie da kid wrote for Wayne.
    Souljah boy wrote for willow.

Somewhere down the line creative minds are at work. Enjoy the music!