To Our Readers

Exclusive: Dawn Richard Talks Danity Kane, Dirty Money, New Album & More

Since erupting on the scene as part of Danity Kane, Dawn Richard has not looked back.

The talented songstress parted ways with the popular quintuple back in 2008, yet didn’t allow the very public disbanding to deter her quest for stardom. Indeed, the immediate aftermath saw her regroup (quite literally), becoming a shining force in experimental trio Diddy-Dirty Money.

Now back on her singular hustle, the singer-songwriter chatted it up with That Grape Juice about her stint in both groups, her current label predicament, debut solo LP, and much more. Check it out above!

————————————–

LA-based fans of Dawn can see her live when she rocks The Roxy with first major solo set this Thursday. Click here to buy tickets!

You can follow Dawn on Twitter and let her know what you thought of the interview, by clicking here!

————————————–

October 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm
    JP says:

highly anticipating anything Dawn and Dirty Money related

5. |
    October 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm
    MuzikJunkie! says:

Omg I can’t wait til her album comes out cuz her mixtape was Amazing!

6. |
    October 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm
    BimeansBi says:

She gave up on trying to imitate Brandy? SHE RATHER!!!!
    Now she snatched up Fantasia’s flow? Peep it…
    She will be the MOST sucessful Danity Kane member at the end of the day – PERIOD

7. |
    October 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm
    desi says:

Yasss! Dawn shits on the other D.K girls! she is the best. I am very excited for Golden Heart (and the other two) All DAWN RICHARD HATERS HAVE SEVERAL SEATS YALL AINT READY!!!

8. |
    October 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm
    14733 says:

WHY YALL HATING? LET HER DO WHAT SHE LOVES TO DO YALL HATERS FOR NOTHING

9. |
    October 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm
    KeepingItFunky says:

I’ll never understand why folks don’t like Dawn besides the same shallow reasoning – her look & the Danity Kane situation. She’s different & refreshing!! She can sing, dance & write. I downloaded her mixtape & I was pleasantly shocked O_O I was bumping that s*** non-stop for months lol! I like her & I’m honesty interested to see where she’s going next!!

10. |
    October 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm
    Clark Smith says:

I like Dawn. I hope her ‘solo project’ does well. I might buy it. Maybe. I really don’t know. (no shade)

11. |
    October 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm
    blazen says:

I hope she becomes a legend like I know she can be.

12. |
    October 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm
    unknown says:

I would be mad if Dawn Richard did not have the HATERS because there is so much to hate about her right now. She is super talented. Yea Dawn!!!!!!

13. |
    October 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm
    LTM says:

I used to love Dawn, but ive lost intrest over the years

14. |
    October 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm
    LTM says:

she should stick with DDM

15. |
    October 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm
    RHI RHI IS QUEEN says:

I LUV ME SOME DAWN.

16. |
    October 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm
    KAYLA says:

I can see Diddy signing her. Knowing Diddy he might try to hype up her album since Ciara is coming back out with a new album. I’m not trying to say it in a bad way, but it would be nice to have something new and exciting in 2012. Dawn vs Ciara and Brany vs Kelly Rowland type of thing. I think it’s time for something new and spicy in a fun way:)

17. |
    October 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm
    ;D HEART says:

IF YOU HONESTLY THINK CIARA IS TOUCH DAWN RICHARDS SWAG YOU’RE SIPPIN ON SOME CRAZY s***

& P.S. IT WONT BE A COMPETITION DAWN & BRANDY HAVE THEIR OWN LANES….

18. |
    October 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm
    mika says:

I cant hear the interview, there is no sound when she talks its just static.

19. |
    October 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm
    CG GIRL says:

I love her! Please report on when the second LP will be released!

20. |
    October 18, 2011 at 10:16 pm
    LuvDawn says:

I love Dawn!!!!! i hope the best for her. But Dawn, please don’t rock that hair style again.

21. |
    October 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm
    Jasmin says:

I love Dawn and I want to see all of the Danity Kane girls make it. Even though it looks like Dawn and Aubrey are doing ok, I believe they were at their best in DK. They had an open lane to the top, there are no other girl groups out. *sign* I miss DK, Day26, & Donnie. f*** Diddy >:(

22. |
    October 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm
    The Truth says:

Who is this?

23. Vote

[...] Pop to Hip Hop with Dirty Money, and her upcoming album Golden Heart in an exclusive interview with The Grape Juice. She also blesses our ears at the end. I can not wait for this album! Also Read:David Banner Talks [...]

24. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm
    blazen says:

@luvdawn if you put your finger over her bun it look like shes bald lol.

25. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm
    Chill says:

Dawn is the s***! Point BlanK Period!

26. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm
    honeydip says:

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @HONEY_DIP11 I FOLLOW BACK!

27. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:38 pm
    Robier says:

Danity Kane flop
    Dirty Money Flop
    Dawn FLOP

28. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm
    Independent Thinker says:

I wonder what’s going on with Day 26 these days. Are they still together? Are they still signed? Somebody give me an update because they are the ones I was checking for. As for Dawn; I’m glad she’s still doing her thing. She was Danity Kane’s golden girl indeed, and she certainly has what it takes to make it. I wish her all the best.

29. |
    October 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm
    coolone says:

I love dawn! I hope she makes it far….i am rooting for her

30. |
    October 19, 2011 at 12:12 am
    christine says:

I like Dawn and am rooting for her. She is a very talented girl!

31. |
    October 19, 2011 at 2:14 am
    ;D HEART says:

@ ROBIER

f** PLEASE DIRTY MONEYS ALBUM IS MULTI PLATINUM & SO ARE BOTH DANITY KANE ALBUMS U LOOSE BOOTY f**

EATADICK c***!

32. |
    October 19, 2011 at 2:20 am
    ;D HEART says:

I CANT WAIT FOR DAWN TO DEBUT! SHES AN AMAZING ARTIS & I HAVE VERY HIG EXPECTATIONS FOR HER SHES DESTINED FOR GREATNESS…SHES GOT A STORY TO TELL

MAYBE SHE CAN BRING SOME LIFE TO THIS DULL ASS MUSIC INDUSTRY

33. |
    October 19, 2011 at 2:27 am
    ;D HEART says:

I CANT WAIT FOR DAWN TO DEBUT SHE IS AN AMAZING ARTIST & AN INCREDIBLE PERSON

MAYBE SHE CAN BRING SOME LIFE TO THIS DULL AZZ MUSIC INDUSTRY FULL OF GIMMICK ARTISTS

I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR HER!

SHES DESTINED FOR GREATNESS!!!

34. |
    October 19, 2011 at 2:31 am
    ;D HEART says:

& THIS IS FOR THE HATERS:

CHECK OUT DAWN & DIRTY MONEYS

#PLATINUM PLAQUES!!!!———————-> http://t.co/AwmV3I3 http://t.co/wIXrlL7 <———————

STAY MAD ;D

35. |
    October 19, 2011 at 2:40 am
    Joe says:

DAWN IS A FLOP!!!!!!!!!!!! TRANNY DAWN HAVE A SEAT BY THE DUMPSTER WITH YOU CAREER.

36. |
    October 19, 2011 at 6:41 am
    Damn Right says:

Her album should be good but I would prefer another Diddy Dirty Money album.

37. Vote

[...] That Grape Juice VN:F [1.9.10_1130]please wait…Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)VN:F [1.9.10_1130]Rating: 0 (from 0 votes) opinions powered by SendLove.to // [...]

38. |
    October 19, 2011 at 7:10 am
    Love on top says:

Dawn shouldn’t be compared to Ciara you tryna insult Ciara? Jeez is that b**** serious Ciara has swag for does and Dawn who is looking like B-side beyonve these days! Ciara didn’t make “Pretty girl swag” for nothing Girl bye

39. |
    October 19, 2011 at 9:16 am
    MISHKA says:

Dear Dawn,

Keep hustlin’ hard, you’re my b!tch, you rock !!!

40. |
    October 19, 2011 at 10:43 am
    antertain says:

She has a very creative mind and has a great tone.
    I’d personally love her to work with Brandy and do co-writing together with Songwriter TC.

I hope she gets her album out as she has a cool sound and delivery.

Miss DK though.

41. |
    October 19, 2011 at 10:58 am
    Kyle says:

I think Dawn has all the qualities to be a successful solo artist, but I think the most important quality of them all is her strong work ethic. I remember watching “Making The Band” when she was in DK and I could tell she was the one that wanted it the most. While the other girls were always on some petty rant, Dawn was focused and kept pushing forward. More power to her and I hope it all pans out for her. Whenever her debut album drops, please believe I’ll pick up a copy!!!

42. |
    October 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm
    KAYLA says:

Yall bloggers take s*** a little too personal for me. It’s not about competition, understand the inside parts of the music industry before yall make a comment!

43. |
    October 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm
    desi says:

@LoveOnTop,@Joe @Robier SIT YALL ASSES DOWN!! Dawn is just getting started :)

44. |
    October 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm
    PYTEE says:

Yay I been waiting for this for a while, I’m so excited for Dawn! Say what you want this chick is goin places. She gives you something different, something fresh. I can’t wait to hear what this album sounds like #GoldenHeart

45. |
    October 19, 2011 at 8:31 pm
    ;D HEART says:

@ JOE

EAT A d*** U c*** AZZ b****!!!….GLAD TO SEE YOURE CHECKIN FOR DAWN q****!

46. |
    October 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm
    ;D HEART says:

@ LOVEONTOP

& b**** I KNOW U AINT TAKIN!……CIARAS A “DANCER!” SHE CANNOT OFFER ANYTHING ELSE TO THE INDUSTRY BESIDES “THE BACKBEND” h** DAWNS A “SINGER DANCER SONGWRITER & PRODUCER PERFORMER”! THE LIST IS LONG!!!

& b**** I UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR DUSTY 4LOP AZZ IS ON THIS POST YOU c** GUZZLING h**! b**** SORRY TO LLET YOU KNOW h**! BEYONCES ALBUM FLOPPED & ALLLLLLLLLLLL HER SINGLES FLOPPED

—————-> http://i56.tinypic.com/6r38rs.jpg.
    <—————– LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THAT h** BEYONCE ALBUM FLOPPED & ALL HER SINGLES ARE FLOPPING UNDERNEATH THE f***** CHARTS LMAOOOOO YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THAT FLOP b**** FAKIN A PREGNANCY TO PROMOTE THAT 4LOP AZZ ALBUM

& DIDNT THAT b**** STEAL CONCEPTS FOR LIKE 3 MUSIC VIDEOS SO FAR? LMAOOOOOO

STAYMAD b****!

YOULL BE SEEING ALOT OF DAWN h**!

47. |
    October 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm
    Joe says:

Aint’t NOBODY checking for Tranny Dawn

48. |
    October 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm
    Tanz says:

I really dig her sincerity, gratitude and hunger. Love you Dawn! I am counting the days down for Golden Heart!

49. |
    October 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm
    ftab says:

Dawn is really smart amazingly smart. Love her she is great

50. Vote

[...] Click here to check out our recent interview with Dawn. [...]

51. Vote

[...] you want to know more about Dawn, Click here and check out her recent interview with [...]

52. Vote

[...] may have gotten dropped, allegedly. The singer/songwriter, who recently conducted an interview with That Grape Juice left us puzzled for a second during the interview when asked if there was a label situation for her [...]

53. |
    December 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    DanityKiWi says:

@Independent Thinker
    Yeah they are still a group, but without Que. They dropped Bad Boy and are solely with Atlantic Records now.
    They have a new buzz single:
    They are also having web episodes, catching fans up on their life as a group:
    Hope this helps.

54. Vote

[...] As ever, we’ll reserve our judgment after seeing the clip in its entirety.  Until then, check out our interview with Miss Richards exclusively at That Grape [...]

55. Vote

[...] our recent interview with Dawn Richard? You know, the one where she played it coy when quizzed about her current label [...]

56. |
    February 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm
    M says:

She went deep. Might be doing too much…