Must See: Syleena Johnson Sings Whitney Houston’s ‘I Will Always Love You’

shares
syleena johnson 65 e1332766557405 Must See: Syleena Johnson Sings Whitney Houstons I Will Always Love You

Soul-filled songstress Syleena Johnson took over London’s famed Jazz Cafe last night for a sold-out show. Boasting many a highlight, the most memorable moment for most was the ‘Hypnotic’ singer’s soaring tribute to Whitney Houston.

Watching her haunting performance of ‘I Will Always Love You’ below…

Stellar showing; one which really spotlights the quality Syleena possesses as a vocalist.

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (78)

• Mark111

Mark111 (66)

• rita ora

rita ora (57)

• BeyRihLiyah

BeyRihLiyah (54)

1. March 26, 2012 at 8:27 am
    Twhist says:

We all love and Miss Whitney, but Syleena like other singers should sing songs that weren’t so famous by Whitney…make me say “I remember that song”

2. March 26, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Lax says:

Syleena is a s*** ass bytch, for real.

3. Vote

[…] Houston’s ‘I Will Always Love You’ That Grape Juice Mon, March 26, 2012 1:20 PM UTC That Grape Juice Rate  Loading … Share (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); […]

4. March 26, 2012 at 8:44 am
    x says:

oh no hon. her tone is not for this song. not in comparison to how clear and crisp nippy’s was

5. March 26, 2012 at 9:21 am
    mobwife says:

OH MY GOD…..”SANG” Syleena Johnson!

This is the single best performance of “I Will Always Love You” delivered by anyone other than “The Voice” herself…..damn! Syleena should be included in the next tribute to Whitney. I’d sign a petition for that…LOL :-)

• December 14, 2012 at 9:53 am
      Terry says:

I Agree, Syleena Johnson, really did justice to the song, while no one could and would ever do it like the Great Whitney Houstons. Syleena is damn good. I love it.

6. March 26, 2012 at 9:23 am
    yeah i said it says:

not veryone can sing a whitney houston song. if u cant do it justice then dont do it. her tone just doesnnt fit the song. sorry sylena.

7. March 26, 2012 at 9:33 am
    MH says:

I loved it. She did great.

8. March 26, 2012 at 9:37 am
    Ike&Tina says:

She did the dang thing!
    I loved it, BOSS performance!

9. March 26, 2012 at 9:39 am
    B4REAL02 says:

I think she did a wonderful job….please stop comparing anyone who sings this song to Whitney….no one will compare

10. March 26, 2012 at 9:39 am
    Tr says:

Love the raspiness of her voice, and tone!! Definitely the best ‘tribute'(shy of J-hud @ the BET honors), thus far!!

11. March 26, 2012 at 9:59 am
    Sammie says:

Love it just love it. That was great

12. March 26, 2012 at 10:20 am
    Nye says:

I think Syleena actually did a really job on this. I dont expect her to sound like Whitney and she hit every not effortless and put her own spin on it…

13. March 26, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Popeater says:

I like Syleena, she’s very underrated.

14. March 26, 2012 at 10:38 am
    MichaelAngelo says:

I wish people would stop comparing every artist to Whitney. I don’t think Syleena was trying to sound like Whitney. She was trying to sound like Syleena. Can artist do a tribute w/o being ridiculed?

15. March 26, 2012 at 10:49 am
    Beck says:

Beautiful rendition

16. March 26, 2012 at 11:15 am
    Beystan says:

I cried for 2 reasons. Because nobody will sing this song like Whitney and im just amazed by her talent and am going to deeply miss her. But 2, Syleena did a really good job. This is the best remake/tribute ive heard thus far. I feel like everyone before was just doing too much. Syleena kept it simple. Very nice.

I love you Whitney. RIP.

17. March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am
    Adrian says:

This was technically a perfect performance as far as hitting every note in every signature spot and staying true to the original which we loved. That being said, people need to realize that NOONE will ever sound like Whitney or Mariah when people sing their songs. That’s not the goal.
    The objectives when doing a cover song are as follows:
    1.Show a new spin on a classic while still staying true it’s form. (B-)

2. Display your own vocal talent and knack for performing (A+)

3.Pay homage to the artist who’s song you’re covering (A+)
    It’s obvious that she was paying homage by doing the song period.

4.Move the crowd and keep them interested because they’ve obviously heard the song before and don’t want another boring re-hash of their favorite song. (A+)

Syleena tore it up! Anyone that’s heard her sing before can appreciate the raspiness in her voice and knows she uses it in the right places. True, her tone doesn’t fit this song perfectly, but people need to relax! She didn’t record the song and win a Grammy for it, she simply covered it in a concert. We will always immediately bash anyone that sings a song by Mariah or Whitney because they both extremely distinct voices that are very hard to imitate and we’ve grown to love hearing them their songs. We’ve gotta stop attacking everyone who wants to do a cover. We’ve got to remember that they were once fans themselves and always dreamed of singing their idols’ songs on stages. Let them have their moment!

18. March 26, 2012 at 11:27 am
    Ivan says:

I was at the Jazz Cafe last night and Syleena had me in tears! Stunning! Her rendition of this song is THE BEST OF THEM ALL. She was doing it Syleena style!! I met her after the show and she was beautiful and so nice!! I hope she comes back soon!! Great great great show! ThatGrapeJuice should feature her more often!!!!

19. March 26, 2012 at 11:30 am
    Boopi says:

For those of you who are saying Syleena’s “tone” aint right for this song have NO CLUE of what you are talking about. She nailed this!!! Go Syleena!!

20. March 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm
    pat says:

i loved her head notes/tones…her chest voice was just a little too shaky for this song to me

21. March 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm
    JohnVidal (RIPWhitney-true great) says:

Not comparable at all!!! But it´s the best non Whitney version i´ve heard

22. March 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm
    nessa says:

she saaaaang that song

23. March 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm
    marcus says:

Syleena did her gig.

24. March 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm
    Blacmajic says:

Syleena sounded ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL paying tribute to Whitney…may she RIP.

25. March 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm
    Blacmajic says:

I love Adrian’s critique LOL

26. March 26, 2012 at 11:23 pm
    Jasmine says:

I think “I Will Always Love You” is a cover song sang by many artists. Dolly Parton wrote it and recorded it first. Whitney took that country song and made it her own pop chart-topping hit

27. March 27, 2012 at 5:10 am
    Aimee says:

Wow!!!! I’m in London and didnt even know Syleena had a show here!!!! Is she coming back anytime soon????? I HAVE to see her after this!!! Wow wow wow!!!!

28. March 27, 2012 at 6:58 am
    B Lamont says:

That was AMAZING!!!!!

29. March 27, 2012 at 7:36 am
    Say Whaaaaat! says:

Syleena Johnson is a underrated artist. She did a great job with this song.

30. March 27, 2012 at 9:21 am
    Matty says:

wow!

31. March 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    eurontay@twitter says:

No one will ever be able to out sing whitney on this song but she sound good the best cover of the song I heard so far syleena is underrated.