Mark Ronson: “Amy Winehouse Was Upset By Adele’s Success”

shares

amy winehouse3 Mark Ronson: Amy Winehouse Was Upset By Adeles Success

Without a doubt, Amy Winehouse and Adele‘s influence on British music and its impact on the global scene makes them equally as monumental.

However, if comments allegedly spawned by Winehouse’s producer Mark Ronson are anything to go by, the late star didn’t feel the same way. In fact, he suggests she was jealous of the ‘21‘ singer.

Details below…

Speaking to The Village Voice, he claims:

She was in a bad state, God knows why. I think that the Adele thing had Amy freaked out. She liked her, but Adele’s success was making Amy feel upset, competitive, restless.

Anyway, we lost touch briefly. And before she and I could really start the process of beginning a new album, it was too late.

If Mark is right, it’s a real shame Amy felt that way.

Reason being?

Well,since the momentum she garnered with ‘Back To Black‘ was still going strong despite her subsequent troubles,  nothing- not even Adele’s success- could take away from the excitement surrounding news of her third LP.

So with that, here’s hoping Amy knew how much she was appreciated and understood the impact her music will have on fans today and here on after.

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (140)

• Tyler

Tyler (136)

• rita ora can win a oscar

rita ora can win ... (86)

• Mark111

Mark111 (72)

1. May 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

I love Mark Ronson but why this Man, why now.

2. May 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    coco says:

some ppl will try to make money off of you even if u’re six feet under…he needs to take several seats next to her casket… who does not envy Adele, especially in the music industry…she’s killing all of them….though they might not say it. Bitter men are the new trand in 2012

3. May 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm
    Bey Fan says:

Maybe upset is the wrong word.

Maybe she was a little frustrated with herself, and seeing Adele becoming more successful made her more aggravated. Im sure she supported Adele. And if she was still with us, probably would have been still supporting Adele….

Both ladies are really talented… Back to Black and 21 are classics

4. May 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm
    Im not throwing shade, but.... says:

This may have been the case, but Amy can rest in knowing that Black to Black was a far more superior album than 21 regardless of sales.

I’m yet to read the full article to get the context, but in death Is when you know who your real friends are

5. May 15, 2012 at 1:16 pm
    johnvidal(rip whitney-truegreat) says:

Hmm a post full of talent in TGJ, it´s not the usual. A shame it was an awful one

6. May 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm
    Bey Fan says:

COCO
    May 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

___________________________________________________________

I dont think ppl envy Adele…. some people are truly happy for her. If anything, people should be motivated.

7. May 15, 2012 at 1:22 pm
    Bey Fan says:

IM NOT THROWING SHADE, BUT….
    May 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

__________________________________________________

You think so??? Thats a good one…. I think Imma post this question on twitter… Back To Black or 21 ?

8. May 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    coco says:

@Bey fan, wrong article it’s not about beyonce….who does not like adele, but who wouldn’t be threatened by her in the industry…if amy was, and she could sing, wut about all the others who can’t sing that well or who are so sexual in their music with half her talent….

9. May 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm
    johnvidal(rip whitney-truegreat) says:

@beyfan
    Critics said B2B is better, but people are saying “21” if we look at the sales. I just think “21” and Adele´s voice can appeal to more types of people. I don´t even want to think about a stan war between these two talented ladies when we have so many models in music industry

10. May 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm
    POP ROYALTY ( RéVolution) says:

the only thing i’m gonna say is :

R.I.P. Amy

in my religion , we only address the Best of The dead people. we don’t talk s*** about them cuz it doesn’t affect anything.

11. May 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm
    coco says:

i like it when ppl are actually responding to the story they read and not my posts, get a life. write your own thoughts, that’s why u have a brain in the first place

12. May 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm
    Bey Fan says:

COCO
    May 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm

___________________________________________________________

I didnt mention Beyonce….so what are talking about? You said who wouldn’t be “bitter” …Im saying I dont think anyone is bitter. Most ppl are happy with Adele’s success. Especially people are tired of seeing pop/dance music take over the charts. If anything, Adele success has probably motivated ppl.

I dont think Amy was bitter….but she was also from the same city /country as Adele, and she was drug and alcohol abuser who might have been high/drunk when she made the alleged comment. But I dont know that Amy ever actually said that.

Because someone is successful, does that automatically mean that EVERYONE will not be happy for you and be bitter????

13. May 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm
    I'm Ready 4Ya says:

Back to black >>>> 21 (which seem to all sound the same well not all) 19 >>>>>> 21…………..and I think mark ronson is just the pits

14. May 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm
    Bey Fan says:

COCO
    May 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm

____________________________________________________________

you post a comment (as well as respond to a response) because you obviously want ppl to read it. I didnt even say anything other than I dont think ppl are bitter. Which goes with my original comment , in which i stated I think “upset” is the wrong word….

I love how ppl sit on the same blog as everyone else and yet wanna tell ppl to get a life….

SIT

15. May 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    El Santo says:

f*** Adele.
    Amy is the queen.

16. May 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    Blue says:

Wow for a friend nice of him to throw his dead friend look like a jealous mess. Mark is the pits!

17. May 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm
    Stevie says:

Its possible this is true but he could have inserted the name of any current, top female singer in there. Adele got all of em shook. All ya favs! All claiming to “love Adele” mad as s*** and have to switch it up to compete with her stats.

18. May 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm
    Stevie says:

There will never be another Amy. Loved her from her 1st ever song, she was a tragic mess of genius lyrics and tourtured blissful tones. I’m sure neither woman would have wanted to see this news floating around in the atmosphere. Adele adored Amy and visa versa, I’m sure Adele wound not want to think she played any part in Amys turmoil and Amy would never want to look like she was jealous of another amazing artist and friend.

Great work MARK (d***) RONSON!

19. May 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

So, she had an ego, like every single one of us. Big deal! Anyone would feel this way, it’s natural. Amy had been on a break for 4 years when ’21’ was released, but I agree with TGJ that the hype was there. Amy is like the Lauryn Hill of new school jazz/ soul. She has a following and an extensive legacy as it is.

I consider ‘Back To Black’ a modern masterpiece. ’21’ is a quality album, but it doesn’t reach the level of craftmanship and cohesion that Amy showcased on her sophomore album. But that’s subjective.

R.I.P. Amy.

20. May 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    JAKE (KING BEY, QUEEN SLAY-DELE & LADY GREAT-GA = 21ST CENTURY LEGENDS. #DEAL) says:

OH PLEASE MARK.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ADELE & HAVE BEEN A STAN FOR HER EVER SINCE HER GIGGING DAYS IN LOCAL PUBS IN LONDON, BUT NO…….

BACK TO BLACK WAS AND IS A CLASSIC!!!

I’S A MASTERPIECE OF 21ST CENTURY MUSIC. AMY WAS THE 1ST ARTIST TO ACTUALLY HAVE TRUE CROSSOVER SUCCESS HIS MILLENIUM AND NO-ONE WILL EVER TAKE THAT AWAY FROM HER.

PEOPLE WERE LITERALLY DYING TO HAVE AMY RELEASE A THIRD ALBUM. AMY BECAME AN “ICON” WITH JUST TWO ALBUMS AND REHAB IS ONE OF THE MOS ICONIC SONGS EVER.

21 IS GREAT BUT IT DIDN’T DO FOR ME WHAT BACK TO BLACK DID. IRREGARDLESS OF SALES ETC…

“4”
    “THE FAME, THE FAME MONSTER & BORN THIS WAY”
    “21”
    “BACK TO BLACK”

^^^
    THE BEST CONTEMPORARY ALBUMS OF THIS CENTURY THUS FAR!!!

21. May 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm
    Auntie_Jackie says:

Adele is absolutely no competition for a someone like Amy. But Amy was so consumed by her demons and alcohol that she wasn’t always at her best, and didn’t reach her true potential.

Amy was a machine, she should have taken over the world.

22. May 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

And btw, don’t throw sales into this, they’re irrelevant. Adele has a different appeal and her music has intense pop undertones that helped her get excessive airplay. And it’s present in the lyrics too. Amy was far edgier. Can you imagine any of the teenagers that bought ‘Rolling In The Deep’ or any of the old ladies that bought ’21’ for Thanksgiving and Christmas listening to Amy’s ‘Addicted’ for example? The fact that Amy managed to sell 13 million ww without catchy singles or overwhelming airplay is admirable in its own right :)

23. May 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm
    darren says:

Why would she be upset? She could have been great but she turned to drinking and drugs. They wanted her to clean up, instead she made a song Rehab. Sound like someone else.

Remember this song by Amy just before she died. They Want Me To Rehab, But I Say No No No

24. May 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm
    darren says:

Amy used to be great but the drinking & drugs to a toll on her. There’s no escaping death when your drinking and doing drugs.

Amy was in a was not on Adele level at all.

25. May 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    trucieb says:

what would be the point of that ass hole bringing up something like that. om f****** g. wow. why cant she just rest in peace. now you got ppl thinking she was jealous of a friend. come on dude. get a f****** life. some ppl go to any lengths to stay relevant. damn shame

26. May 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    the real xoxo says:

@darren if amy was not on adeles level then why did her album have more success than adele?

i love both, its not fair how true talent gets pitched against eachother while generic talentless hoes like katy perry and rihanna coexist.

27. May 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    RoyalKev says:

I sooooo prefer Amy over Adele, but I hope this story isn’t true. A beef between two divas is often provoked, but I hope that Amy didn’t feel that “21” took anything away from “Back to Black”.

28. May 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    Nick says:

I love Amy More then Adele, and Back To Black was my favorite album of 2007.
    Mark Ronson is a fool, he knows B2B made him who he is, and without amy he wouldn’t be wear he is.
    she was a mess before 21 came out too, but was a voice she had. may amy and whitney RIP

29. May 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    coco says:

@ Bey Fan…fat chick, loving beyonce won’t make u famous, using her name won’t get u laid and responding to me won’t make u fit in these chair im about to pass to u to take a sit, cuz ur bunda is too huge, i know how u black girls do it…hihihi

30. May 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    ty says:

@ COCO GET A LIFE

31. May 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm
    coco says:

@ ty i will once u come suck dis c***

32. May 15, 2012 at 5:41 pm
    BLACK MADONNA says:

SPEAKING ILL OF THE DEAD WHEN THEY CANT DEFEND THEMSELVES?.. HE SHOULD BE ASHAMED

33. May 15, 2012 at 7:11 pm
    OhSoBleak says:

Amy >>>> Adele tbqh

34. May 15, 2012 at 7:55 pm
    Blackman says:

Amy Winehouse is great! Adele is overrated in no way better then Amy Winehouse.

35. May 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm
    mobwife says:

WHATEVER!

In death you can tell us anything! Amy Winehouse was a much better talent than Adele and this idiot needs to have several seats!

**RIPAmyBaby :-)

36. May 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm
    mobwife says:

@RoyalKev
    May 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    I sooooo prefer Amy over Adele, but I hope this story isn’t true. A beef between two divas is often provoked, but I hope that Amy didn’t feel that “21″ took anything away from “Back to Black”.
    ___________________________________________________________

ALL THIS RIGHT! :-) Well said & true!!

“Back to Black” will forever be a classic. I still rock that CD till this very day!

37. Vote

[…] via ThatGrapeJuice Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailTags: 21, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Back to Black, British music, Mark Ronson, Producer, Village Voice […]

38. May 17, 2012 at 9:13 am
    Julian says:

I remember Adele being an avid fan of Amy’s

Too many demons… unfortunately her own demise. A pity, because her music was undeniably brilliant and true