To Our Readers

Frank Ocean To Perform AT 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

frank o Frank Ocean To Perform AT 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

In case performances by Rihanna, Alicia Keys and P!nk weren’t enough to persuade you to tune in, we’ve got news that may force you to reconsider missing out on the 2012 Video Music Awards.

News, that comes in the shape of ‘Swim Good’ vocalist Frank Ocean.

Details below…

MTV reports:

As well as RiRi, innovative Best New Artist contender Frank Ocean is set to make his Video Music Award debut to deliver a soulful performance that has made him one of the most buzzed about artists of the year.

Set to mark his biggest performance since the release of his debut album ‘Channel Orange’ back in July, news of Ocean’s showing at the ceremony arrives after the LP hit sales of 262,000 units in the US.

It also comes after he cancelled all European dates of the album’s supporting tour, but before he takes to New York’s All Tomorrow’s Parties on September 21st to perform for fans.

Source.

1. August 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

Who is him?, anyone knows him, please!…don’t tell me because he is now Gay, you are a fan of his music, his brave blah, blah, blah..he is irrelevant.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm
      Noel says:

If you’re going to try and diss him…maybe next time you should try and be a bit more coherent.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm
        ciara's fan says:

lol exactly!!!! suicide blonde you’re a fail!!!!

• August 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

Noel.
        Deal with it.

ciara’s fan
        Ciara’s a fail.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm
      JohnVidal(RIP Whitney-truegreat) says:

Don´t you like talent?
      Support this guy then cos he has plenty. I know he is famous cos of that but talent is talent

• August 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

He’s talented but his Music is a no, no.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm
      mob says:

@Suicide Blonde

We never agree, but on this one all I can say is……PREACH!! :-)

Before this guy confessed to “foolin’ women” *Khia voice* no one was checking for him or his music. Now he’s an “innovator”…., the new “savior” of R&B….the new “KING OF R&B”! Really because he has s** with men? Is that all it takes to be King of R&B? It’s really funny considering: 1) In 2011 he said he was offended by the R&B label as he sees himself as a much more “evolved artist” <—whatever the hell that means? and 2) His music is more Alternative/Indie R&B than anything! 0_O

• August 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm
        Stephen says:

Don’t like men sing about another man. If you listen to the words he’s singing Thinking About You to another man. I’m a man myself and I just can’t with this one. Don’t even want to see him on stage or at the VMA period.

• August 28, 2012 at 6:39 am
        lol says:

There are plenty off out gay artist for MTV to high light …it’s not about that with Frank when it comes to his popularity he actually put out songs that move and register with the hearts of people ( novacane and thinkin about you are urban cult classics) Jay knew it,Bey knew it , Adele knows , Pharrall , Nas , 50 cent, brandy, etc … All of them recognize Frank’s Talent … So go f*** yurself

• August 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm
      ciara's fan says:

please!!! lol
      girl you are the only fail around here!!!
      and you can think whatever you want! don’t care a bit!!!!

• August 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

Then if you don’t care, why you reply me.

• August 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm
      truth(THEREALISTUBITCH) says:

b****! WHO IS YOU?? h**

• August 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm
        WENDY says:

Proper English is WHO ARE YOU? ^^ @TRUTH

• August 28, 2012 at 7:50 am
        truth(THEREALISTUBITCH) says:

*side eyeing this Wendy b**** like a mutha fucka* b**** if you don’t shut the f*** up you BETTA!! imma give you a break THIS time because OBVIOUSLY you DON’T know who the f*** you talking to. But if it happens again imma e-drag you and that WHORING b**** you call momma. u h**!

• August 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm
      real raquel honest says:

he is bi

2. August 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    jamelisyours says:

yesss now i will most definitely be watching !!! a pure vocalist on the VMA`s , alright alright alrighttt lol

3. August 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

The power of publicity stunts…SMH. Anyway, I wish him luck. At least he’s not another electropop artist I guess

• August 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm
      mob says:

No, he is an Indie-Alternative R&B act instead but since the media “loves” him I’m sure its acceptable and all Pure R&B artists should follow him instead right?

• August 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm
        ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

Well, given that he’s flopping so far and is not going to reach the gold status anytime soon, I don’t think he’s the blueprint you think people regard him as, I for one have always given much more respect to Miguel and Luke James for being 100% r n’ b.

• August 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm
        mob says:

I actually like little arrogant Miguel. His new single “Adorn” is one of my current jams! I’m not very familar with Luke James.

Flopping or not, the media is 100% behind Ocean becuase of …well you know…LOL so he will not be regarded as anything but a musical, singing, dancing blah, blah genius by the fixed media!

• August 28, 2012 at 6:45 am
        lol says:

Don’t be mad because the only thing your fav has been critically lauded for is his dance moves and looks , no one is gonna look back and say “his music was so amazing ” with shitty repetitive “up in the club” lyrics , repetitive rhyming bottles and models and a whole slew of other repetitive brain numbing bull s*** that his music is known for … People like Mj and Prince didn’t follow the norm musically,artiscally,lyrically,vocally …. just like Frank

4. August 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm
    JJFan1814 says:

Yessssssss Frank!!!!! Still selling consistently! Woohoo

5. August 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm
    JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT AND DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS - DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!

FRANK BETTER WORK IT. AN ACTUAL GENUINE ARTIST AND INSTRUMENTALIST GRACING THE VMA STAGE IN THIS ERA? IM SHOCKED.

WE HAVE R’n’B: FRANK
    WE HAVE SOUL: ALICIA

NOW ALL I NEED IS A ROCK ACT TO PERFORM AND I WILL BE CONTENT…

AND NOW, I DONT MEAN “FUN” OR “GOTYE” AND ALL THAT SATIRICAL INDIE-POP, POP-ROCK s***… AN ACTUAL ROCK ACT.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm
      ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

Green Day will be performing.

• August 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm
        JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT AND DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS - DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) says:

@ASAP

OMG. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

;) ;) ;)

• August 27, 2012 at 3:56 pm
      mob says:

But Frank Ocean is Indie-R&B. Have you not paid attention to the way he classifies himself?

• August 27, 2012 at 4:36 pm
        JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT AND DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS - DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) says:

@Mob

Oh. Of course I have.

The last time I checked, during his interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, he stated that his music is the epitome of “Contemporary R&B”. He also said that even though he experiments with a number of styles, his music will always be rooted in R&B.

If you heard different then… I don’t know. I’m just going by what he said and I, personally, classify him as “R&B”. ;)

• August 28, 2012 at 6:48 am
        lol says:

Chris Brown claims to be rnb but his albums as of late seem to be pulse driven, bass thumpin , electro, trance bull shitt ..that n**** still stuck in the 2008 musically…him and Florida should just retire

• August 28, 2012 at 8:47 am
      Nik says:

Your comments have really been on point lately. I agree with you on Rita Ora and now on this.

6. August 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    JohnVidal(RIP Whitney-truegreat) says:

Well yes I know they are having him only cos this is a sad and irrelevat popularity ceremony about I don´t know what awards… but at least it´s to celebrate they have people with talent, no matter why they made the decision. If they could bring more people with real talent…

7. August 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    Yesididbitch says:

Well isn’t that gay!

8. August 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm
    Boss says:

All these wack ass performers this year.

9. August 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm
    mob says:

LOL the bandwagon Ocean fans are harilous! I would like to see a true R&B artist like Brandy but since they did away with the VMA R&B Award category we will have to settle with whatever they dictate as R&B talent!

• August 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm
      JohnVidal(RIP Whitney-truegreat) says:

Why are u so offended but a guy you don´t know? Pure hate
      So apart from your point about him not being R&B… do u really want to make us think this man has not talent? Take your meds

• August 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm
        mob says:

LOL WHAT? 0_O

This is a blog site and I’m providing an opinion on a topic just like you! What hatred am I spewing? I have heard his CD, I like 2 songs, I have said that in the past but this notion that he is the “SAVIOR OR KING OF R&B” all of a sudden due should offend not only me but any sane individual who enjoys R&B music!

If you managed to pull from my statement anything questioning the man’s talent, then it is you who should “TAKE YOUR MEDICATION” as I said no such thing. My comment concerns NON-R&B FOLKS dictating who can or cannot succeed in the genre based on their belief or bias!

• August 28, 2012 at 6:55 am
        lol says:

Been a fan since day one before tgj ever posted info on Frank .. with that said … why the f*** do you want bland as Brandy to perform ? So she can perform that slutty as song with your role model inept Fav which tales her young impressionable fans that ” if you put it down right maybe we can fallin love ” AKA good s** = genuine love ? …yeah right MTV has enough hoes performing every year b**** be pissed

• August 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm
      James227 says:

@Mob

Totally agree

• August 28, 2012 at 9:28 am
        Stephen says:

No we just have to settle for Frank singing about a man. I guess that more likeable than Brandy singing what Rihanna and all the other female artists does.

10. August 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm
    Belladonna says:

Congrats Frank You have now made it performing at the VMAs it the biggest thing you can do to so how big your are in Pop Culture and after you do that you can get a Grammy! By the end of the year @Frank_Ocean will stand beside @LadyGaga as one of the two biggest q**** Artist in Music History! To all the young q**** kids out there it Really does #GetBetter!

• August 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm
      JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT AND DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS - DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) says:

BEAUTIFUL. ;)

• August 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm
      XoMoDe says:

Shut up. You gay ass dork.

• August 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm
        Belladonna says:

I wish you love and light not hate or negativity! Sorry you don’t wish the same. #heart

11. August 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm
    CBE says:

He suck that d*** to get a slot LOL! thats hustle 101

• August 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm
      WENDY says:

And that just what I’ll be thinking about when he comes on stage. Him taking it in the ass.

• August 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm
      mob says:

Now you know you are all sorts of wrong for this comment! LOL :-)

12. August 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    truth(THEREALISTUBITCH) says:

EPIC CHILE

13. August 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm
    Chachanana12 says:

Yay 4 frank. He can sing n it’s a big chance but there r so far no ENTERTAINING acts. Alicia n Frank will bring the real music. Taylor well she’s there to make people awe at n innocent girl. Green bay not into them. Pink I don’t like her music n as far as performances I never seen one in my life sorry. N Rihanna well she will walk back b forth while “singing” like a fashion show. No shade to any of the acts though. Congrats! I would of like Brandy to perform put it down with Chris. That would b epic n the highlight of the show! :) too bad they r not :( but u never know :) I will maybe watch depending on upcoming performers.mm where’s lax n Benron ? I b eating they hate.

• August 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm
      mob says:

This is exactly what I was saying. Where are the PERFORMERS? I like a nice balance. Everyone does not have to give the same type “show. Let’s be honest, their are two major performers of this era Beyonce and Chris Brown. Regardless of what ppl say, they will bring it and leave it all on stage! Folks can hiss and boo. The media can cry and lie but it’s simply the truth! I mean NO SHADE to anyone’s favorites!

14. August 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm
    honest says:

MTV I have two questions.
    How will you top Lady Gaga dressed as a man?
    How will you top Beyonce announcing her pregnancy?

• August 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm
      WENDY says:

Also Chris Brown flying through the air. Oh I know Frank Ocean will bring out his lover and sing to him. Now that will top them all

• August 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm
        mob says:

LOL CB’s perfromance is still one of my favorite MTV VMA moments along with MJs 15 minute epic set!

Sorry Frank Ocean but Adam Lambert already gave that performance a few years back! :-)

• August 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm
      RITA ORA IS BEYFLOPS NEXT BLOOD SACRAFICE!!!! says:

U MEAN WHEN BEYONCE ANNOUNCED HER FAKE PREGANCY!! FIXED IT FOR YA!! UR WELCOME

15. August 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm
    BrooklynBombshell says:

FRANKLIN is on his way I’m looking forward to his performance especially since I missed him when he came to NY both times. That first comment is funny he can’t be that much of a Nobody you sure have your facts straight about him.

16. August 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm
    Speaks Truth says:

Please please please let BRANDY KELLY & CIARA PERFORM IT WOULD MAKE MY LIFE!!,!

• August 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm
      AmbeRussell says:

If the BET Awards ain’t have Kelly perform as a solo act during her own set (2011 w/ Trey, 07 w/ Beyonce) how u exspect the VMAS to give Kelly a spot to perform when she never was nominated for an award as a solo artist. Brandy never performed at the BET AWards either besides the red carpet n Ciara never perform at the VMAs when she was hot, so would they ask her now that she isn’t as popular now?
      AmbeRussell on YouTube

17. August 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm
    TAYLOR SWIFTS NUMBER 1 FAN!!! says:

Hope Queen Taylor gets to sing her massive number 1 single..

• August 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm
      TAYLOR SWIFTS NUMBER 1 FAN!!! says:

Thats it dislike my comment.. make it have a red number beside it..

But Just so you know

TAYLOR SWIFTS NEW ALBUM IS CALLED RED.

18. August 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm
    AmbeRussell says:

They need to get Usher to perform something. He NEEDS this show to promote this album still. But what I like is that, unlike chris, he still has life left in his album, where Chris released everything prior to the album release.
    As far as Frank Ocean, I was liking him last yr with novican n swim good n thinking about etc stuff from his mixtape, didn’t get channel orange. Anyways, not TGE best singer, but damn good song writer but with Akeys & Frank O, I don’t see a big entertaining rnb/urban performer with a big performance.
    AmbeRussell on YouTube

• August 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm
      mob says:

Trick run and hide! Chris Brown has yet to even promote his CD. Fortune is selling off of a few tweets whereas your boy Usher Raymond has had a major PROMOTIONAL campaign (cover of several major magazines, TV/Cable/Award show performances, International & nations festvals the whole nine yards) for his CD. So you can talk sh*t if you want. Even without the formal promotional campaign of Usher or the love and promotion the media is giving Frank Ocean, Breezy is still doing his thing and very much inline with his” R&B brothern”!!

19. August 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm
    Chachanana12 says:

The vmas always announce people no one cares about first then they announce one big artists to keep people interested then more in the middle artist as far as popularity then the one big bang artists. But this year it’s like…no that’s not what they did. Last years was great Beyonce. Lady Gaga,Chris, kanye n jay, Adele etc. this show seems blah. Nothing entertains or hype ( beyonce lady gaga Chris kanye n jay) Not too many real singers ( Adele beyonce etc) there were more but I forgot. There’s only Alicia n Frank. At least so far n Kevin’s hosting but nothing else is good. No entertainers. Make me mad. Other than those 2 oh yeah pink but idk bout her. No one else is gonna entertain.

20. August 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    CzarM says:

Pause.

21. August 27, 2012 at 7:12 pm
    Ej says:

Total gimmick. But as gay pandering as MTV is I’m not surprised that they cast this dude. It ain’t about talent with Frank…

I hope he never gets invited to perform at the BET or NAACP awards.

22. August 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm
    Monstarebel says:

OMG THE MOST BORING PEOPLE ARE PERFORMING BESIDES MY RIRI OF COURSE BUT WTF IM ONLY EXCITED TO SEE HER AT THIS POINT ID EVEN WANT LADY GAGA BEYONCE OR CHRIS BROWN TO PERFORMANCE ,
    I NEED SOME TYPE OF EXCITEMENT…

BTW ALICIA IS BOUT TO BE THE MOST BORING HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE SEEN HER PLAY THE PIANO AND SING OFF KEY IM OVER IT!!

23. August 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm
    MH says:

whatever…mtv is transparent…how come never invited the Scissor Sisters to perform? they’ve paid dues sold way more albums than Frank during their career..countless other good gay artists never given an mtv slot and Frank gets one because he has industry connects…Heck, Frank ain’t even the best RnB male out…That Male is Miguel……

24. August 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm
    Benron (King Of The Navy) says:

Um, cute for him but lets adress this. His singing is barely average and his shows consist of him just sitting there, which he does not have the voice to even ATTEMPT to do. He can’t dance, or sing, Why won’t they get Chris Brown to perform? He will probably be the best of the night.

Just because he is gay everybody wants to like him. You didn’t know him before and now that you know he likes d*** you quickly follow the trend. His album is INDIE album is struggling and just like Nicki, his music is not the genre he claims.

This might be like the grammies, remember how only the pop singers (Rihanna, Nicki, Katy and Chris Brown) managed to catch anyones attention during the snooze-fest. That will be like now!

• August 28, 2012 at 4:20 am
      mob: operation kill the b!+@# says:

I TOTALLY AGREE with everything but Chris Brown being a Pop act. He is clearly NOT!

• August 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm
        Benron (King Of The Navy) says:

Sorry, he kinda just automatically fell in to their category for me because he is huge.

25. August 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm
    Absolved says:

So phony. At least Alicia has had MTV airplay and a history of VMA performances. Has MTV ever even played a Frank Ocean video? Yet here he is, all set to perform, and with all these nominations at an award show that eradicated R&B categories years ago. GTFOH. Is this some kind of a joke?

It even would have made more sense to invite Trey, Usher or Chris to perform, and/or to give them Franks noms instead. All of them debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 and are getting better airplay. Hell, Miguel could have been invited to perform…”Adorn” is getting more buzz at the moment than any Frank Ocean song is.

All this “support” for Frank is as transparent as Windex. It’s as if everyone was aware of how negatively this all COULD have gone and decided to “protect” him from the worse happening, just to prove some kind of sociopolitical point and feel good about themselves in the process. His “talent” is a neither here nor there and means next to nothing. His whole career is built on liberal d***** sand, and as soon as the novelty wears off, he’ll be back to where he was before he decided to tell the world about his fondness for other mens penises.

• August 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm
      MH says:

Tthis rewarding without merit grates my nerves…We get it, Publicity Publicity, heck, mtv makes no sense….Miguel should be that breakthrough RnB male artist performing…his songs are full on RnB, get radio play, he charts…Miguel has number 1 and top 5 RnB/Urban hits…and this for two years straight…Frank ain’t got those hits….Geez….Equality for all but rewards without merit are meaningless….sorry…so many other gay artists are out there struggling and they have no support or not seen as Hipster cool…whatever….really….

• August 28, 2012 at 4:22 am
      mob: operation kill the b!+@# says:

“All this “support” for Frank is as transparent as Windex”

Watch it, they’re gonna start calling you names like a “hater” or something even worse!! ijs :-)

• August 28, 2012 at 4:37 am
      mob: operation kill the b!+@# says:

Regardless of what other might say……YOU GET AN ‘A+’ & 5 STARS for this comment! You hit the head on the nail. Everything I see is about pandering to one interest group or aanother be it GLADD or the femiNAZI’s of America!

• August 28, 2012 at 9:09 am
      Nik says:

Does MTV even play videos anymore? Anyway, Tyler the Creator won a VMA for best new artist and I can’t even name not one song he’s made, seen a video, nor heard any of his songs on the radio, and he hasn’t come out of the closet.

26. August 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm
    Chachanana12 says:

Wow it seems a lot of the people that hate Chris n Bey r coming out from the woodworks to actually say they wish they would perform. Intresting. M masterstarbell or whatever it is usually hates them but says they would want to c her n mob. Rihanna will not bring excitement…..maybe if she does like at billboard just dances a little harder n better n diffrent sings wawl is one of the few songs I like from her album n one of the only songs she’s done lately that compliment her tone. But I wish Bey n Chris were performing along with everyone else but bey performed last year n doesn’t have a new album or single out :( but Chris could perform something I hope or else this show will be boring even with pink n rih humph :(

27. August 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    PYTFROMAL says:

GO Frank! He is doing big things this year. He has been penning beautiful songs for a while now and I’m happy he’s getting his shine. I don’t know why people are soo pressed about the man getting recognition. I don’t think his coming out was a publicity stunt. I remember shortly before his album dropped there were headlines about him using “he” in his music and Frank simply responded by putting out a letter. I don’t think his team forced the media to put that out there. It’s not like he came out of the blue with it. Did it help him gain popularity? YES! Did it play in his favor? YES because it put his name out. Whether you call his “coming out’ a publicity stunt or whatever, I’m sure your fave has used a publicity stunt /gimmick as well or other things for promotion so don’t be a hypocrite.

As far as his album sales, pretty decent for a newcomer with no hits. But that’s just my opinion though.

Anyways, I’ve never really been one to tune in for the MTV awards but I may check in to see what all the hoopla is and for certain performances.

28. August 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    IM BEYAWNCE'S SURROGATE...I GAVE BIRTH TO HER CAMEL!! says:

I do like the songs of poetry he writes!!

29. August 28, 2012 at 2:34 am
    the real xoxo says:

i just deleted most of channel orange from my itunes.
    the album isnt nearly as memorable as “Nostalgia, Ultra”. too many people are FORCING themselves to love it

30. August 28, 2012 at 6:19 am
    michella cox says:

WOOO HOOO…. FRANK OCEAN, STAY WINNING…. NOT ONLY WILL HE BE PERFORMING ON THE VMA’S…. FRANK OCEAN WILL BE PERFORMING ON THE PREMIERE OF SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE ON SEPT. 15…. 2 WEEKS IN A ROW WITH FULL PROMOTIONS…. WE CAN SAY NOW THAT WILL FRANK OCEAN WILL GET THAT PLATINUM ALBUM, THIS YEAR….. DON’T HATE, JUST APPRECIATE….. GO FRANK OCEAN……

31. August 28, 2012 at 10:59 am
    whatever says:

This has to be the “most” boring MTV awards ever… I’m sure it will show in the ratings… MTV has fallen ever since they stop showing music video except for AMTV. It’s so sad that Mr. Ocean is being used as some type of “poster boy”. Unfortunately, this will bite him at the end. Instead of his music being recognize for its uniqueness he will continue to be “labeled”. Channel Orange flopped and is no where in the top #10 of Billboard 200 or Billboard 100. If this was any artist he would have been called a flop… people like make excuses.