ChrisBrown_X_DeluxeEdition_outnow_728x90

Hot Topic: Should There Another Aaliyah Album?

Two days ago saw the 11th year anniversary of the passing of Aaliyah.

While each August 25th brings with it bittersweet memories of a life cut short, yet a life lived full, this year was particularly noteworthy…thanks to emotional rapper Drake.

Following the surprise release of ‘Enough Said’ – his collaboration with departed, the Young Money maestro’s was confirmed as an integral part of the fallen singer’s first posthumous effort. A development which has birthed a raging debate: should there even be another Aaliyah album?

Hit ‘PLAY’ to watch our weigh-in on the issue and, as ever, let us know what you think below…

• August 27, 2012 at 10:49 am
    RITA ORA IS BEYFLOPS NEXT BLOOD SACRAFICE!!!! says:

Dont mess with Aaliyah legacy!!! Let this ANGEL REST IN PARADISE AND LEAVE HER MUSIC ALONE!!!

• August 27, 2012 at 10:57 am
    Speechless says:

I would only support an Aaliyah album if Drake is NOT involved. If Missy, Timbaland and other producers that she actually worked with wont be a part of it then I won’t support it.

• August 27, 2012 at 10:57 am
    www.hitahit.wordpress.com says:

complety agree!!!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:00 am
    Aaliyah is Queen b**** says:

Drake and whoever else involved needs to LEAVE HER LEGACY ALONE, especially if it’s not what the family or AALIYAH herself would have wanted. There’s been so many conflicting stories over the past couple of weeks of whether or not the family is in support of the project and who will actually work on the project. The fact that Missy and Timbaland didn’t even know about it proves right there the authenticity of this album. Aaliyah’s family let her movie ‘Queen of the Damned’ be released because that’s what SHE would have wanted. After Aaliyah died the family let her fans have a memorial where visuals of her showed in the background, because that’s what SHE would have wanted. The fact is what AALIYAH would have wanted, not Drake, not blackground records, not ANYBODY but Aaliyah!

lol Replied:

Aaliyah’s uncle the one who helped introduce her into the music industry is involved in the making of this album -that’s confirmed

• August 27, 2012 at 11:07 am
    THE GAME says:

Omg Patrick Maned Up!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:13 am
    MC says:

Leave her the f*** alone Ms. Drake. How come she (Drake) is not in a mental institution? Missy, Timbo, and her family isn’t on board and neither am I.

• August 27, 2012 at 11:24 am
    JJFan1814 says:

Times have changed!!!! We see where timbaland is now! Missy is still making r&b hits though!!!

I’m here for this album!

• August 27, 2012 at 11:43 am
    sammylito says:

u guys r reading wayyyy too deep into the issue….the same thing was done for biggie, pac, and selena, and nobody complained about it…but as soon as aaliyah gets brought up everyone goes into an uproar….its not that deep. get a grip and focus on the fact that aaliyah lived for the music and she would still be doing it if she was here…more music pleeeasea! enough said…lol…….i like the song, and i know alot of ppl who like it too.

Aaliyah is Queen b**** Replied:

I somewhat agree and get where you’re coming from, because if Aaliyah was here she would still be making music. However, these unreleased tracks on most of these posthumous albums (i.e. MJ) are NOT the business. Whose to say that she even wanted some of those songs to be heard? They’re scraps that sometimes weren’t meant for any album. If Aaliyah made some tracks that she signed off on and was saving for possibly later albums then yes they should release them. If not then NO! I personally cringe whenever they release a MJ song that was unreleased or remix one of his classics, because IMO they sound like booty LOL!

• August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm
    i'm not throwing shade, but... says:

Okay, so he was on for 3 mins & 44 sec longer than he needed to be. Also, didn’t TGJ do a pot about this ages ago (along with other posts?)
    Patrick, you echoed everything people have said previously… Why the need to comment again

• August 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    Elvis Madore says:

It should not happen without Missy & Timbo!
    I’ll buy it JUST because I LOVE Aaliyah!

• August 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    Dazanaya Dotseth says:

Def no! Aaliyah is a legend all by herself we don’t need anyone to remind us of that

• August 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    JER says:

Ms. Patricia GRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL get it tagetha lookin like a wide eyed gay deer

• August 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    Mark says:

I don’t want Drake touching her music, but I will say this, Aaliyah worked with more people then just Tim and Missy. I’m tired of hearing people say “where Tim and Mis?” like they signed her or something. But I’m tron, I want to hear more from her, but not if it’s only about money. That song with Drake (roll eyes) sound like something for a mixtape. What they should do is release an Ultimate greatest hit album with all her hits, remixes (cause she had a few remixes that never made her albums) the video version of One I Gave My Heart to and some unreleased music, like Where Could he be, Steady Ground and even some new cuts.

Glenn Replied:

I totally agree with you, Aaliyah worked with a lot of different producers, yet people are only calling Tim and Missy’s name. Her last album was mostly produced by Ebeats and they sound nothing like timbaland beats. Aaliyah also worked with jermaine dupri, Rodney jerkins, diane warren, r. Kelly, Vincent herbert etc, I really get what you guys are saying. But I really believe that if she was still alive she wouldn’t be working with timbaland anymore. You can kinda tell by the last album. The worst songs on the album were timbaland songs, but i love i care 4 u. I’m here for a new Aaliyah album, as long as they do it the right way.

• August 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    MISHKA says:

No to a new Aaliyah album.
    Nine.
    Niet.
    Nada.
    Never.
    Drake, go away.

• August 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm
    STR8FACTS says:

Not here for any of this. BTW TGJ, this won’t be her first posthumous release, she had ‘I Care 4 U’ released at the end of 2002 and three of the unreleased songs on that album were hits. That album was done perfectly, numbers don’t lie.

This mess here? I’m not with it at all. First off, Drake is just a fan, yes we all love Aaliyah, I think it’s pretty disrespectful to have him producing an album full of her material, yes he is ‘Drake’ but besides that he is just a random fan. There is no difference from them letting him control the project to picking up one of her fans on twitter or on the street and giving them the same opportunity, it makes no sense to me.

Aaliyah was very much in control of here career and I’m pretty sure if she wanted to share this materials with her fans she would have, and if her immediate family aren’t supporting this it shouldn’t proceed PERIOD POINT BLANK. It’s disrespectful to Aaliyah, her family, and her discography.

At this present moment, Aaliyah’s discography is perfect to me, it’s one of the biggest part of het legacy and it defines her as an artist. When you think of Aaliyah, you think of a life and career cut extremely short and her three albums show the potential she had and where she was at the moment and where she planned to go, it is not our duty to think of what she would have wanted and make music from that, years have gone by and people remember Aaliyah today just as much as they did the day it happened.

Leave her music, discography, and legacy the way she left it, NO MORE POSTHUMOUS RELEASES.

Nik Replied:

I agree, I think producing an album to “introduce her to a new generation” is an excuse. Bob Marley died in May ’81, I was born in May ’88, I didn’t grow up listen to reggae, but it’s now my favorite genre. Artists may leave us but good music never die.

• August 28, 2012 at 3:37 am
    antertain says:

YES YES YES PATRICK!!!!!!

100% I mean how dare they go forward with this project without at least family’s approval!!!!

I’m love me some Aaliyah but I got my loooong catelogue of songs.
    I got the unreleased ones like John Blaze, Been Around The World, Turn The Page etc…

Drake shouldn’t mess with unfinished material and if he down for Aaliyah like he says he is then he would know Aaliyah took her time with albums and made sure all the songs where complete and ready and ultimately it won’t be the case with this.

If it is 2b done the crafting has to be epic and have Aaliyahs greatest creative influences involved. KMT

• August 28, 2012 at 10:54 pm
    Ayanna says:

i want another Aaliyah album soooooooo bad but, i want “Aaliyah” to be a part of it which includes Missy and Timberland not Drake who doesn’t know anything about her nor has ever met her before..his intentions r all well and good and i do like him as an artist but he in my mind should have no part of a new Aaliyah album

• August 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm