To Our Readers

‘I Wanna Be Down': Elle Varner Tributes Brandy

ELLE VARNER FAN ART WORK TGJ I Wanna Be Down: Elle Varner Tributes Brandy

She has one of the most distinctive voices in R&B, serving every cut she performs with an increasingly popular originality.

The above, while sounding a ‘little much’ to any yet to hear Elle Varner’s voice, was put to the test last night when she took on Brandy’s classic ‘I Wanna Be Down’ at the Highline Ballroom.

Get into her jazzy take on the jam below…

Source.

1. |
    August 10, 2012 at 8:07 am
    Realist : Navy-Nazi says:

YASS Brandy pave the way for most of these young cats wether you want to admit it or not, loving it.

• |
      August 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm
      Marcos O'liva says:

so true. her and monica paved the way for so many. alot of these girls running around here wouldnt be if it want for them.

2. |
    August 10, 2012 at 8:09 am
    The-Truth says:

Sounds Way better than when Brandy performs. Trandy just gives a LATE vocal and never switches up the arrangement.

3. |
    August 10, 2012 at 8:13 am
    mobwife says:

B**CH I’m going to need you to SIT ALL THE WAY DOWN!!

FTW was that?

I’m growing weary of folks all of a sudden deciding to trample of Aaliyah’s music, image, and legacy!

• |
      August 10, 2012 at 8:22 am
      THE SHADE says:

……

• |
        August 10, 2012 at 9:50 am
        NT says:

????????

• |
        August 10, 2012 at 10:14 am
        mobwife says:

WHAT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t like Elle Verner’s rendition of Brandy’s “I Wanna Be Down”

…..AND…….

After reading all of the Aaliyah articles on this and other sites, I’m growing weary of folks riding her neck to the ground! Leave her be…..

4. |
    August 10, 2012 at 10:04 am
    Keem says:

OK, we’re not even gonna start with the ‘She did better than Brandy MESS.’ Aiight, anyways, It’s awesome to see our new artists paying homage to people who paved the way for them.. Personally I would prefer Brandy’s tone with this song any day, although Elle did a very beautiful job.. Brandy’s voice is just better for the song to me.

5. |
    August 10, 2012 at 10:30 am
    Whistle says:

Classic? I don’t even know that song

• |
      August 10, 2012 at 11:04 am
      Oats says:

So just cos you don’t know it, it doesn’t make it a classic? Give urself a break!

• |
      August 11, 2012 at 11:29 am
      MB92 says:

then clearly your not a true fan of R&B

6. |
    August 10, 2012 at 10:33 am
    TRUTH SERUM says:

BRANDY’S STANS AND SUPPORTERS ARE FUNNY AS s***…

BRANDY AIN’T PAY THE WAY FOR HER…

HER MUSIC DOESN’T SOUND LIKE ANYTHING BRANDY HAS DONE…

BRANDY IS A POP/R&B ARTIST… ELLE IS A R&B ARTIST… HER MUSIC AND STYLE IS NOTHING LIKE BRANDY’S….

SO HAVE A f****** SEAT ON TOP OF MT. EVEREST… NO HAVE A SEAT ON THE MOON…

YOU SOUND LIKE IDIOTS…

• |
      August 10, 2012 at 10:57 am
      777 says:

You don’t know what you talking about playa, so be sure to take a seat right up there where you told everyone else to sit. When these mofos gon learn who the REAL is. GOOD DAY!

7. |
    August 10, 2012 at 10:37 am
    RoyalKev says:

Ummm, ok … It’s the thought that counts. It’s great to see people giving Brandy a tribute. That’s one of my favorite Brandy songs! I love the studio version and everything B’rocka does live on that record.

8. |
    August 10, 2012 at 10:55 am
    Nick says:

her voice is interesting!!!i liked it!!

9. |
    August 10, 2012 at 11:35 am
    JP says:

Ok, now she has me paying attention. I’ll be checking for her. I enjoyed her performance and homage to Brandy.

Haters, you be the best haters you can be at the bottom of the barrel. lls

10. |
    August 10, 2012 at 6:56 pm
    Lela says:

I see it doesn’t take much to impress this generation. She is wack!!! You all need to go to research and listen some of female singers of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. In my youth I listened to Chaka Khan, Patti Labelle and Natalie Cole. In my early to late teens there was Stacy Lattisaw, Evelyn Champagne King, Teena Marie, Miki Howard, Regina Belle, Stephanie Mills and of course Whitney Houston. Later came Chante Moore, Mariah, Faith Evans, Tamia.. and the list goes on. I don’t understand the hype behind this artist. She sounds horrible on her single ” Refil” but I thought I’d take a listen… give her the benefit of doubt. I hate to say but it I don’t think she’s any good.

11. |
    August 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm
    Elle Varner is #1 on ITUNES says:

Good job! I uv both ELLE & BRANDY.

12. |
    August 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm
    Musiclova101 says:

Elle Varner’s voice is not as good as brandy’s….brandy can sangggg ! Even though human wasn’t a success it was still a good album, listen to it at lease once a month !

13. |
    August 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm
    Musiclova101 says:

@lele preach !!!!!! i didn’t wanna hurt Elle feelings but you said it…lol !

• |