Welcome to the new ThatGrapeJuice.net

Stevie Wonder Opens Up On Frank Ocean & ‘Gay Confusion’

stevie wonder Stevie Wonder Opens Up On Frank Ocean & Gay Confusion

Back in July, ‘Bad Religion’ singer Frank Ocean found himself under the intense gaze of the media after revealing he had been romantically involved with a male friend aged 19.

Receiving support from his fans and contemporaries alike, Ocean’s openness saw him belabored with the title of ‘this generation’s first openly ‘gay’ R&B singer’, despite the fact that he himself did not label his sexual orientation.

Now, the  philanthropic musician Stevie Wonder has shared his thoughts on Ocean’s sexuality- explaining why he believes some gay people are at times confused by their thoughts.

Full story below…

When quizzed on Frank’s letter during an interview with The Guardian, Wonder shared:

People can feel connected, they bond. I’m not saying all [gay people]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that’s them.

Here’s hoping Stevie’s comments- which will undoubtedly ruffle some feathers- aren’t taken out of context.

For, if we understood him accurately, he’s stressing the idea that sexuality isn’t as black and white as many would have it, and far too complex to label every same sex relationship ‘gay’, a sentiment Ocean’s letter seems to share.

On the flip side, the word ‘confused’ does bring about some unfortunate implications. Implications, which suggests Frank- or any other in his situation- isn’t sure of what he wants…or is going through some kind of ‘confused’ phase.

Either way, we want to know…

What do you make of Stevie’s comments?

• August 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    DUH says:

I think he is confused , the woman who he’s been sleeping is really a man… too bad he’s too blind too know…

Jay Replied:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

MJ Lover Replied:

I feel kinda bad that i laughed at your comment :/

Monstarebel Replied:

lmao DEAD

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

B!+ch are you talking about Stevie Wonder? Stevie is a LEGEND! F*ck Frank Ocean!

• August 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    JACOB says:

That’s a really disappointing comment to read. I mean, it’s not HORRIBLE, but it’s just really unfortunate. I’ll always love Stevie, but it bothers me that people still think like that.

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

It is true! There are some ppl who are actually gay and some who are simply confused or were at a low point in their life and someone took advantage of their momentary weakness!

• August 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    CandyTime says:

Oh Stevie… hes old school still thinks being gay is a phase…

• August 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    POP ROYALTY ( RUDE BOY) says:

you are either Heterosexual or Homosexual.

OZ Replied:

There is more to sexuality than that, there are endless possibilities in between. Heterosexual or Homosexual are just labels society create to group people in a box to make it easier to understand, but in really every individual is different. We should never have to be one thing or the other, what if you like both?, just be you, free of objective labels. Remember this society is all trying to label and define who you are but you dont have to live by that definition. Its your life to live and define.

Peace

• August 31, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    NOBITCHASSNESS says:

DISAGREE.

WHAT AN UNFORTUNATE YET HORRIBLE COMMENT TO SAY STEEBIE.

Spot Love Replied:

lmfao ok Joselinee

• August 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm
    LOVE4MICHELLE says:

Wtf was that ?

• August 31, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    Brick House says:

Stevie made some pertinent points, trust a site riddled with beyonce stans to misconstrue what he meant, you can be close or love someone without wanting to have sex with them like some of you who are SO OBSESSED with your “faves” lol without actually even knowing them.

Yesididbitch * My lace front Has it's own personaility Replied:

YEs these f** of a fans (Beyonce fans) are weird flamboyant Homo’s!

• August 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm
    TIMMI says:

Whilst there may be an element of truth in his comments, the problem with his statement is that he is only applying it to gay relationships.

Yes, there are people who have had gay relationships and might have misconstrued closeness for love.

There are also straight people who have misconstrued closeness for love.

With that being said, his comments don’t hold any more relevance to Frank Ocean than any other citizen on this planet, whether they are straight/gay/lesbian/bisexual or transgender. Thus, his comments are ignorant.

• August 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm
    Benron (King Of The Navy) says:

The only things about gays I dont understand is why there are all of a sudden so many. Someone on twitter said that they equaled one percent of the population, which surprises me a lot, cuz I woudl think there are at least 10.

The human race was not meant to die out, so being gay is neccesarily natural. But Then again, some people just have natural urges, like (sorry for horrible example) murderers usually have natural violent urges.

Remember that Blue eyes are a mutation, so if something as simple as that is a mutation then its safe to say being gay is too. Its not a harmful mutation just liek blue eyes, but its one none the less.

TIMMI Replied:

Gay people are not increasing.

The only reason you think more are appearing “all of a sudden” (as you put it) is because it’s gradually becoming more socially accepted to be a homosexual.

I thought that was common sense?

Presently my mind isn’t capable of beginning to interpret your comparison to homosexuals and murderers so I won’t bother to decipher your ignorance.

Benron (King Of The Navy) Replied:

I feel bad now, I was trolling and it hurt peoples feelings. Im sorry, I dont usually troll (on here) but it seemed like fun. Dont take it personal, dont get emotional, this is not the truth, just a joke.

Rihanna Navy Replied:

no you were being quite ignorant and the fact that you got call out for it you retract your opinions. i can’t believe you’re part of the navy. you make us sick.

Benron (King Of The Navy) Replied:

I cant troll for no reason, Who are you Mr./mrs. Rihanna navy?

I have seen you diss Rihanna on multiple ocassions, and insult many other navy members on her.

The only navy on here is Whut, Beyonces weave, Honesty speaking, Enough onika (I think), Lax, Kelly, and Wil debutantee. None of them have a problem with me, just cuz your name is RiHanna Navy doesent mean you can decide everything for the rest of us.

Monstarebel Replied:

@Benron You forget me!!!!!

Benron (King Of The Navy) Replied:

never! I jsut forgot you and pop but ya’l are some of my favorites.

• August 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT & DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS - DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) says:

MR. WONDER, YOU ARE A LEGEND – FIRST AND FOREMOST – AND ONE OF THE GREATEST AND GIFTED MUSICIANS TO HAVE EVER GRACED THE PLANET… YOU BROKE DOWN BARRIERS FOR BLACK ARTISTS TO GET INTO THE MAINSTREAM THROUGHOUT THE 1960′S AND 1970′S AND I WILL FOREVER LOVE AND RESPECT YOU FOR THAT AND YOUR TALENT.

BUT >>>>>>>

Your comment was/is indeed slightly offensive.

You are either Homosexual, Bi-Sexual and/or Heterosexual. What one may feel for another has absolutely nothing to do “CONFUSION”. If gay’s can “MISCONTRUE CLOSENESS FOR LOVE”, then straight people are just as eligible to do the same. Nothing more and nothing less.

And what do you mean by “Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that’s them”???

Lord……. I hope I don’t read this in the Daily Mail, New York Times/New York Post, The Huffington Post or even Perez Hilton’s, to which you are then FORCED to apologise, because certain things regarding the LGBT community spread like WILDFIRE these days!!!

Jamilaaa Replied:

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!!!!!

BEY/AND/ADELE/FOREVER Replied:

_______

PREACH.

I'M NOT THROWING SHADE, BUT... Replied:

@Jake

You said it boy!!!!!!

If you mess with the Bey's hive, YOU WILL GET STUNG!!! Replied:

@JAKE

I also agree.

I don’t think he meant any offense by it but certain comments that are made by celebrities, if they happen to regard a sensitive issue, ALWAYS BACKFIRE ALMOST 95% OF THE TIME.

SMH.

Po’ Stevie.

LAYLA Replied:

#Word

I AM.... NOT A FAN OF SASHA s***!!! Replied:

I hear that.

#MakesSense

• August 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    blackbunny says:

Steebie I’m confused about your hair line!!!

• August 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm
    Yesididbitch * My lace front Has it's own personaility says:

YEs STEVIE!!! let these f*** know! THEY are confused, and f*****!!!

JAKE (I PRAISE TALENT AND DEGRADE THE TALENTLESS: DEAL WITH IT b****!!!) Replied:

“YEs STEVIE!!! let these f*** know! THEY are confused, and f*****!!!”

_____________

#DrinkBleachMixedWithPoisonAndWhiteSpiritBitch
    ;)

LOL Replied:

clearly a hoodhive member.

• August 31, 2012 at 3:21 pm
    POP ROYALTY ( RUDE BOY) says:

I Think It would Have Been understandable if he didn’t Restrict it only about the ” Gay” Ppl.

cuz as a straight guy myself , We sometimes get fooled and mistake “closeness” with “Love”. so Why he did say Only gay ppl are confused , as a straight person , i admit sometimes , we , men and women , get confused as well. so …..

And I don’t know if Only gay ppl think about is Sex or having sex with the same sex as them , but They are humans as well , no human being will love to be treated as a sex object , they also require to be valued as human beings who have emotions and hearts as well , the same as straight people , they are still humans too , not from another planet , huh ?!

Benron (King Of The Navy) Replied:

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?
    CUZ I NEVA SEE YOU OUT
    R U HIDING FRO MME YAH
    SOMEWURR IN DA CUUUUUUUUUUUURD

MC Replied:

No offense, but I don’t think you are straight as you say….maybe bi-sexual…As a straight female I can appreciate beautiful woman, but I never in my life felt any type of attraction or closeness with them other than friends, so….perhaps if you have that type of feelings then maybe you should soul-search…..and again don’t take this the wrong way…… :)

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

Though I do agree that folks can and quite often confuse closeness or sex with love, I think Mr. Wonder was quizzed about Frank Ocean and his open letter admitting he’s been “foolin women” *Khia’s words*. I doubt if he just offered his opinion!

• August 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    Monstarebel says:

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO SENSITIVE? OMG !! GET OVER IT

• August 31, 2012 at 4:08 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

Every guy has had a homosexual thought at least once, straight or gay, besides most guys have experienced their first sex when their were kids with their best friends, that’s a fact, so this time with all my respect to this legendary musician and extraordinary human being, he is wrong.

Biting Truth Replied:

You have no idea what you’re talking about, you gay ass clown. Shut up.

MC Replied:

I never heard this before. wow lol

Suicide Blonde Replied:

This happens, not with all children, but trust me, this is true, although some deny it.

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

You must be caucasian 0_O?

Suicide Blonde Replied:

Of course!..i am.

Biting Truth Replied:

Of course he’s Caucasian because that’s some white boy s*** he’s talking. Maybe around his way the men diddle each other thinking it’s cool, but that’s not what dudes around this way do.

• August 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm
    SBC19 says:

All I know is that because Frank Ocean is a man who likes d***, I refuse to listen to his music. Whenever I hear his songs on the radio, I change the station and whenever I hear he’s gonna be on TV, I make it a point to avoid that show. He goes against everything I stand for.

My hip, my back Replied:

b**** yet you on THATGRAPEJUICE.NET?? have several f****** seats. I’m pretty sure they have their fair share of gays working here.

• August 31, 2012 at 4:46 pm
    EnRanc says:

I hope Stevie stands by his words and doesn’t apologize or even explain should certain people get a hair up their ass about it. I’m sick of seeing celebrities cower and apologize to the whiny ass bitches in the gay community that wanna throw tantrums after that say something that isn’t “friendly” or defers to them.

Not everyone has to like you. Get over it.

• August 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm
    Jer says:

How dare you black ass gorls try to shade the legendary Stevie Wonder!!!!! Some people are confused! They confuse feelings in relationships. Its because some people think sex is love, or that men and women cant have a plutonic relationship. Or that two gay men cant be friends. What Stevie said is true, in other words, some people are a mess and need to get it together. And Stevie is speaking from years of experience

• August 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    Benron (King Of The Navy) says:

In all honesty (not trolling) sexuality is a complicated issue that will never be erased from peoples hearts. No matter how many corny posters set up around high schools you cant get rid of hate. Im not gay but I feel like its a very hard lifestyle choice to be gay (openly). So many judgements, so little info actually known about them.

• August 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm
    MC says:

Wow, some insightful conversations I see……I personally feel that sexuality is a complicated thing and confusion is common, but for me personally I have never been confused and I feel as thought most people would know what they liked……either men or women or both….lol…..

• August 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm
    mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) says:

“I think honestly, some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused. People can misconstrue closeness for love.”

THIS RIGHT HERE FOLKS!

I wish somebody would say something about this legend! I will run the Advocate, The Village voice and every other gay publication! Mr. Wonder is entitled to his opinion even if you dont agree with him!

• August 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) says:

I am so sick of the “ra ra” Frank Ocean BS! The world does not have to bow and scrap to Frank Ocean. He is not the first gay singer and wont be the last!

Benron (King Of The Navy) Replied:

Lol, mob, I love you when you keep Rih out of your mouth.

lol Replied:

Mobwife go mob on a d*** and sit yo pressed azz down … your defending stevie wonder as if he said something with the attention to be offensive to Frank Ocean ,Frank and Stevie are friends , Frank metions them hangin out on twitter, so don’t turn this into a Frank Ocean vs Stevie Wonder thing cuz its not

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

@LOL

B!TCH, 1) if you could read and 2) pulled your head out of your a$$ long enough to comprehend, you would discover that quite a few ppl are misinterpreting Stevie Wonder’s words and are now referring to him as a homophob which is ridiculous! Of course he did not mean to offend anyone but if he did SO BE IT! Not everyone in the damn world finds value in the publicity stunt Frank Ocean pulled to sell a CD!

***”I think honestly, some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused. People can misconstrue closeness for love.” <—- You filthy w****, if this applies to you just deal with it!! ~ Love Steveland Morris….beeeoch :-)

• August 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm
    Girrrl says:

Y’all better not come for Stevie because that man is a legend who did things for the black community (civil rights-MLK holiday,) politics and humanity in general.

I still believe Frank “I’m coming out” Ocean released that letter to hype his album.
    In regards to the statement, I don’t know because I haven’t experienced it.

• August 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm
    My hip, my back says:

just the fact that in his comment he specifically isolated confusion as it pertained to gay relationships is disappointing. you can mistake closeness for love in any relationship.. Hell there are confused ‘straight’ men and women running amok every day. Just so funny how sometimes straight people have the most to say about what a gay person is experiencing when they’ve never walked a mile in their shoes. I still respect your legacy and your music stevie.

jarel Replied:

U are making too much sense. As if gay can be equated as confusion. Hell straight can be equated as confusion too. And I think most people know who they are attracted deep inside themselves.

• August 31, 2012 at 11:16 pm
    Enlightened says:

Gays are becoming the bullies that they once sought protection from. Who can blame them with all they have been through. But let’s get this straight… That still doesn’t mean that everyone has to agree with your lifestyle.
    Every guy isn’t curious,interested,attached to the same sex.
    Just how gays are entitled to their opinions,so is everyone else.
    Everyone isn’t going to agree.

Live and let live…I love all god’s creatures. Black,white,gay,skinny,fat,old,Mexican,crippled,ugly…when you carry hate in your heart you only hold your own self back.
    To the crazy Rihanna stans…. Or even Beyonce stans that are trying to go in on this legend….. Neither of these two will ever amount to the greatness that is Stevie Wonder show some respect.

mobwife...breaking legs and heads :-) Replied:

The gays (certainly not all but a very RADICALIZED cluster) have become the 2012 BULLIES right along with ths disgusting fake a$$ femiNAZI’s of the world. And I can blame them. If they don’t want hatred thrown their way and want ppl to support their various cause then WTF would they try to bully everyone in sight?

I do however agree with you that folks need never come for this legend who has paved the way for every black entertainer in music today!!!

• September 1, 2012 at 12:48 am
    Shaquinisha-Rose says:

This is wack.
    ‘I think honestly, some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused. People can misconstrue closeness for love.’
    LOVE, and SEXUAL ATTRACTION are two very different things. So yes, sure, a person can misconstrue closeness for love.
    So what I get from his above comment is that he thinks some men, who form close relationships with other men, sometimes misconstrue this ‘closeness’ for ‘love’ (sexual desire??).

You know what, I give up trying to deconstruct this comment. Stevie may be a legend but he needs to learn how to articulate.

• September 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    cocksucker says:

I agree with Stevie, he’s only saying not all closeness are sexually related. So people get your minds out of the gutter. Especially u sick fucks talking s*** abt Stevie. He didn’t bash Frank, he was just making a point. Btw, He’s friends with Elton John. So take many seats f** advocates.

[...] No more than a week after their publication, Stevie Wonder has been forced to apologize over remarks he made on Frank Ocean‘s sexuality in an interview with The Guardian. [...]