Usher, Jennifer Hudson Join Line-Up of Whitney Houston Tribute Special

shares
What's This?
76ad2c5a4a753fd1bcc0685e87c33f9a Usher, Jennifer Hudson Join Line Up of Whitney Houston Tribute Special

With a new greatest hits collection (November 13th) and tribute documentary (October 17th) in motion to pop legend Whitney Houston, it looks like fall is shaping up to be Houston-heavy for fans still celebrating the late singer’s life.

For, as reported today, Usher, Jennifer Hudson, and R. Kelly are three names set to pay homage to Houston in a Grammy-sponsored, hourlong tribute.  Set for taping October 11th, the surely star-studded event is expect to unveil more performers as the weeks pass.

Fans looking for tickets to the Los Angeles-hosted event can click here for details.  Those unable to make the show can catch it when it airs on CBS in November (source).

Who else would you like to see perform at the special?

1. September 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm
    cury says:

I would like to see Brandy perform and pay tribute.

• September 27, 2012 at 6:15 am
      lol says:

that would sound terrible

2. September 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm
    H-Town Chic says:

Beyonce….Tamia… Monica…

3. September 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    unnami says:

beyonce and alicia

4. September 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm
    RikQy says:

I have no clue what the heck Usher would sing but i would like to see Brandy, as for gospel goes definitely Yolanda Adams & Kim burrell.

I would love to see what Beyonce would do, Jazmine sullivan, Jordin Sparks.
    And I wanna see big voice R&B chicks like Keke Wyatt, faith evans, Tamia, Fantasia, kelly price, mariah (the old one), Ledisi, and even Jill Scott.

• September 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm
      Mob: TeamBreezy Always b!+@#es says:

Yes, I TOTALLY AGREE!

• September 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm
      dream82 says:

How could you not mention Monica?!…I would definitely pick her before Fantasia and Jordin Sparks smh

5. September 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm
    King. says:

Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige, Brandy, and Monica.

• September 26, 2012 at 8:26 pm
      mr.m says:

Xtina yAAs!!! the rest? .. bye

• September 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm
      dream82 says:

I wanna see Monica and Mary J. in that order.

6. September 26, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    MC says:

I am happy Whitney is being honored. I would like see Brandy, Monica, Mariah, etc perform.

7. September 26, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

BEYONCE….really!…..uffff.

• September 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm
      virtuoso intellect says:

Hush yo mouth white flaky brat. U can make your own suggestions or exit the post

• September 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

Haha i still love you tho.

8. September 26, 2012 at 8:02 pm
    REAL SANGERZ PLEASE says:

Jessie J… Kim Burrell… Tarralyn Ramsey… Stevie Wonder… Mariah Carey… Deborah Cox… Ron Isley… & Karen Clark… & that girl from American Idol this year… um (Jessica? Sanchez? Jennifer? something?) These are the people I want to see!

• September 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm
      pat says:

THIS ^^ minus the sanchez girl

9. September 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    mr.m says:

Christina Aguilera .. please?

10. September 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm
    Mob: TeamBreezy Always b!+@#es says:

I’m really just not here for these FAKE PULLED TOGETHER TRIBUTES where the main focus of the folks ORGANIZING the event is on putting together a POLITICALLY CORRECT CAST OF CHARACTERS that make little to know sense! WTF does Usher Raymond have to do with WHITNEY HOUSTON? …..EXACTLLY, NOTHING AT ALL! No shade but come on really? o_0

No offense to anyone else but there are enough SOUL SINGERS to put on a damn good show without including “POP TARTS” of all flavors!! :-(

• September 26, 2012 at 8:25 pm
      mr.m says:

gurrrr bye

11. September 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm
    Gigi says:

Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, P!nk, Mariah Carey, Brandy, Monica, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Jordin Sparks, Deborah Cox, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Yolanda Adams, Kim Burrell, Faith Evans, Kelly Price, Mary J. Blige, Pattie Labelle, Neyo, Bruno Mars.

12. September 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm
    james woods says:

i love whitney since i was 15 im now 40 i hope her mom and daughter pay tribute as well and her god mother aretha franklin to

13. September 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    dream82 says:

Monica,Faith Evans,Kelly Price,Deborah Cox,Tamia,Shanice,Patti Labelle,Aretha Franklin,Chaka Khan,Mary J. Blige,Kim Burrell,Yolonda Adams,Beyonce,Christina Aguilera,Alicia Keys,Ce Ce Winans,Toni Braxton

• September 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm
      dream82 says:

Oh yeah can’t forget Jill Scott

• September 28, 2012 at 11:19 am
        Tia says:

That’s what I’m talking about…the real singers

14. September 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm
    dee says:

Gladys Knight!

15. September 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    Kevin M says:

Bran Bran (Brandy) my gurl!

16. September 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm
    Quan says:

Leave Jennifer ass out please. I need Monica, Mary J, Kelly Price, Tamia and whoever else are REAL soul singers. People who sing with conviction in their voice. People who had the desire of lyric phrasing like Whitney. We don’t need people up there whispering or running all over the place! That was not Whitney!

17. September 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    Parris Black says:

Monica, Brandy, Mary J. Blige, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Rowland, ( N B4 u attack me that short tribute she did at that club appearance a few months ago where she sang part of How Will I Know N I Wanna Dance With Somebody was dope n shocking. Wish she sang like that ALL THE TIME) Jazmine Sullivan, Tamia, Faith Evans, Jill Scott, Kelly Price, Yolanda Adams, Kim Burrell, Beyonce(She’s a dope vocalist when she actually sings) n maybe a few others but I don’t see why Usher is singing n J. HUD jus doesn’t do it 4 me singing Whitney songs. Thas my opinion. Oh n Maybe Alexandra Burke. Her Saving All My Love was nice

18. September 27, 2012 at 12:15 am
    Turveydel says:

Monica all day

19. September 27, 2012 at 12:27 am
    ILOVEKELLY says:

Kelly Rowland would be great..that tribute for Mariah gave me life

20. September 27, 2012 at 1:12 am
    danny b says:

So far that’s a great lineup.

Total i’d like to see Usher, J. Hud, R. Kelly, Brandy, Monica, Kelly Rowland, Queen Beyonce, Mariah, Patti LaBelle, Mary J Blige, Christina, Jordin Sparks, CeCe Winans, Kelly Price, Chaka Khan, Kim Burrell, Stevie Wonder…….. damn near any female VOCALIST (notice theterm “Vocalist”) in the industry today has been inspired by Whitney so they all could do her justice.

They might as well do a whole VH1 Divas show (the way they used to do them before 2000, not the s*** the put on now) dedicated and in tribute of Whitney.

21. September 27, 2012 at 3:02 am
    MIKEHAmoe says:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYY……….Brandy-(N DAT ODER)

22. September 27, 2012 at 3:04 am
    MIKEHAmoe says:

BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

( N DAT ODER )!!!!!

23. Vote

[...] of Whitney Houston Tribute Special That Grape Juice Wed, September 26, 2012 11:56 PM UTC That Grape Juice Rate  Loading … Share (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); [...]

24. September 27, 2012 at 4:20 am
    SHUH says:

Mary J. Blige, Leona Lewis

25. September 27, 2012 at 4:51 am
    bob says:

Mariah, Pink, Leona Lewis, Deborah Cox, KeKe Wyatt,Tamia
    Christina A, Brandy, Mary J, Monica, jessica Sanchez , Jessie J
    and Kelly Clarkson

26. September 27, 2012 at 5:17 am
    RoyalKev says:

I made a schedule for the performances and added Usher and R. Kelly to the list (since they’ve already been selected).

Schedule
    ———————–

(1) Alicia Keys – Saving All My Love (Slowed down version on Piano) – 5 mins
    (2) Brandy – Exhale (Shoop Shoop) (Alicia is still on Piano still) – 2 mins

*Alicia makes an exist *

(3) Brandy – I’m Your Baby Tonight (It was just so great to see at the BET Awards) – 3 mins
    (4) Christina Aguilera / Usher – Could I Have This Kiss Forever – 4 mins
    (5) Beyonce – Queen of Night / It’s Not Right but it’s okay 5 mins
    (6) Faith & Kelly Price – Heartbreak Hotel (Featuring R&B Divas – Syleena, Monifah, etc for the finish of the song) 5 mins

(7) Tamia – Greatest Love Of All 3 mins
    (8) Jordin Sparks/ Jessica Sanchez – I Will Always Love You 5 mins

(9) R.Kelly I Believe I Can Fly (with Whitney career highlights playing in background) -5 mins
    (10) Cece Winans, Gladys Knight, Yolanda Adams, Stevie Wonder – Count On Me / I Believe In You & Me 8 mins

(11) Fantasia, Mary J Blige, Jennifer Hudson & Chaka Khan – I’m Every Woman 10 mins

*(Sample)
    Whatever you want, (Fantasia)
    Whatever you need, (Mary J)
    Anything you want done, baby, (Jennifer)
    I’ll do it naturally (All)
    ‘Cause I’m every woman (Chaka)
    It’s all in me. (All)
    It’s all in me, yeah! (Chaka)

Chorus 1: (All)
    I’m every woman,
    It’s all in me.
    Anything you want done, baby,
    I’ll do it naturally.

Chorus 2:
    I’m every woman,
    It’s all in me.
    I can read your thoughts right now,
    Every one from A to Z.

Ya’ll get it!

27. September 27, 2012 at 6:12 am
    Twhist says:

They must have MONICA! She slayed “I love The Lord” and set the ton for the last Whitney Tribute on BET

28. September 27, 2012 at 7:21 am
    sharon says:

Hope brandy is involved. she idolized whitney the most. industry wise!

29. September 27, 2012 at 9:58 am
    JOHNVIDAL says:

Jennifer Hudson again?…

But you are all missing the point. This is not the BET awards (and that tribute was the best to date, awesome). Grammys always put artists from all kinds of genres, like in the Michael tribute they did. And I like that for this particular tribute. You need to understand Whitney was A GLOBAL magastar and ICON transcending every type of culture
    It´s true she is a black girl from the USA, but she has had many tributes from that comunity. Can´t see why you all want Monica, Brandy and the rest again and again? This is about celebrating Whitney in MUSIC, in the WORLD. You can expect country singers, soul singers, pop singers and even rock singers paying tribute to her this time. As it should be. People on here are so narrowminded it´s not even worth the joke. Some Americans have a problem with education, seriously (like all that talk about the illuminate shows for example)
    For your info Celine Dion has been already confirmed too. See? That´s what I was saying

In a perfect Whitney tribute for the entire world to watch there shoulb be talented people but also just megastars. It would be shocking and weird and awesome Madonna or Gaga paying tribute to Whitney if you know what I mean. Celine is already in. Mariah would be good. Megastars if you know what I mean. Oh yeah and Jennifer Hudson too (lol, don´t know who is pushing it but she is not a Whitney Houston at anything)

• September 28, 2012 at 11:24 am
      Tia says:

But what exactly is Usher and Jennifer Hudson going to do for WHitney? Jennifer Hudson is a MESS live…she has no voice control. All that power but doesn’t know how to work it. And usher can sing but why is he added to the tribute? We just want to do her justice…there is nothing wrong with that. Brandy and Monica did a good job so why not bring them back again along with soulful singers who will do her justice #IJS

30. September 27, 2012 at 10:29 am
    Chris G says:

I think Syleena Johnson should sing, didnt anyone see her in New Orleans sing for whitney…it was the best

31. September 27, 2012 at 11:19 am
    aaliyahforeva says:

Brandy, tamia, keke wyratt, monica, kelly clarkson, adele,

32. September 27, 2012 at 11:28 am
    Aynon says:

Beyonce and Kelly Rowland Duet ,Lady GaGa, Leona Lewis, Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys heck even Madonna and Celine they were all ruling the charts at the same time it only makes sense for them to pay tribute to their longtime chart rival/friend

33. September 27, 2012 at 11:42 am
    BEYFLOP GIVE KING RIH THE MUTHA-f****** CROWN U THIRSTY b****!!!!! says:

IM SORRY BUT I DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYONE SING A WHITNEY CLASSIC BUT WHITNEY HERSELF!!! NO AND I MEAN NO ONE CAN SANG LIKE KING WHITNEY ELIZABETH HOUSTON AKA NIPPY!!!!!

34. September 27, 2012 at 11:45 am
    BEYFLOP GIVE KING RIH THE MUTHA-f****** CROWN U THIRSTY b****!!!!! says:

BUT IF I HAVE TO PICK IT WOULD BE MS XTINA AGULLERIA!! SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO SOUND A LITTLE BIT AND I MEAN LITTLE BIT LIKE HER!

35. September 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    pat says:

faith, kelly price, brandy, monica, ledisi, kim burrell, deborah cox, tamar (b**** can sing), keke wyatt, cece winans, celine dion, xtina, the girl from sugarland, kelly clarkson, pink

36. September 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm
    Sean says:

Christina and Mariah…that’s it

37. Vote

[...] reported here, the trio are the first set of performers confirmed to take the stage at the Nokia Theatre-hosted [...]

38. September 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    ASIPOFBRANDY says:

Brandy, Monica, Kim Burrell, Mariah, Ce Ce Winans

39. September 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm
    Masetto says:

I think Kelly rowland, xtina, Celine Dion and and that white chick who sings the last part on Kirk Franklin Lean on Me, Despite her over singing but Ms Beyonce has the voice, they all will do a great Job