The Best You Never Heard: Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston, Destiny’s Child, & Christina Milian

shares

Pinned: Posts Resume As Normal Below

best you never 2012 The Best You Never Heard: Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston, Destinys Child, & Christina Milian

The Best You Never Heard is back! After a lengthy rest on the bench, each week will once again see That Grape Juice spotlight an array of little known gems. Featuring picks from the TGJ editorial team, we want to know…who chose the best song! Let us know below…

********************

Christina Aguilera – ‘Get Mine, Get Yours’

While 2002’s ‘Stripped’ saw Christina Aguilera bare her most vulnerable self on tracks such as ‘Beautiful’, the set also ushered in the arrival of “Xtina”.

Many cite the release of single ‘Dirrty’ as the singer’s official transformation from teen-queen to sex-symbol, often neglecting the fact that the album itself packed a number of sensual moments to aide her racy agenda. The most notable of such cuts? ‘Get Mine, Get Yours’.

Unapologetic before Rihanna was, the mid-tempo blazer served as a manual for a “no strings attached” ‘encounter’. Critiqued by some for too quickly accelerating the star’s shift from role-model to rock-star, the cut remains noteworthy in that it’s the female commanding the male to “freak my body, baby, nasty naughty, baby”.

In many ways, it’s songs like this that paved the way for the sexual liberation of some of today’s most risque female acts. Xtina the feminist? That’s up for debate. What is certain, though, is that the song is fire! {SAM}

LISTEN: [audiotube id=”DDyPYh3xBh8″]

********************

Whitney Houston – Call You Tonight

As many know, 2009 brought with it the chart return of the legendary Whitney Houston. Christened ‘I Look To You’, which would go on to be her last) was  a stellar collection of carefully crafted hits and material which embraced both her legacy and vocal ability at the time.

Interestingly, throwback groove ‘Million Dollar Bill’ was picked to launch the LP’s campaign, somewhat unfortunate  because said album housed a classic-in-the-waiting in the form of fan-favorite ‘Call You Tonight’.

Helmed by Stargate and Johnta Austin, the mid-tempo gem did a stellar job showcasing Nippy’s then-“new voice” and was the perfect representation of what a Whitney record should sound like in 2009 (or 2012 for the matter). With engaging lyrics, great melodies, and a powerful yet understated vocal performance, ‘Tonight’ was arguably a missed opportunity to make her Platinum coloured comeback even more triumphant. {JOE}

LISTEN:  [audiotube id=”WolnrWxOj8s”]

********************

Destiny’s Child – Killing Time

Dwarfed by the success of later albums and subsequent solo careers, Destiny’s Child‘s 1998 self titled debut never quite gets the recognition it deserves – on many a front.
Boasting songs which bridged Pop, Country and R&B, the LP’s strongest point – save for ‘No No No’ – comes courtesy of Stinson/Wiggins produced ‘Killing Time’.

Packing a crossover appeal much of today’s R&B lacks, ‘Time’ sees DC at their best, serving the conviction and harmonies unmatched by any of their then-rivals.

Clearly the inspiration for much of the material on Kelly Rowland’s first solo outing ‘Simply Deep’, here’s hoping the coming years see the disbanded group shine a little more light on the cut and the supporting album so many consider…a classic. {DAVID}
LISTEN: [audiotube id=”j9M2RWSZl-k”]
********************

Christina Milian – Never Mind

Picture this:  You’re at the club…getting your groove on.  Next thing you know, you spot a fine so-and-so doing their thing. They turn around…and in a split second things go from sugar to you-know-what. ‘Dip It Low’ diva Christina Milian thought to share that scenario in song.

The track is lifted from one of many studio sessions the singer had when crafting (what was to be) the follow-up to her 2006 album ‘So Amazin’ (see: scrapped albums ‘Elope’, ‘Dream In Color’).  And while the attache project never surfaced, Milian proves once again with this number that she is able to cook-up a radio friendly joint whenever she tries. When, and if, that will ever be fully manifested again…only time will tell. {RASHAD}
LISTEN: [audiotube id=”N_3Xuu3eIdU”]
********************

Whose Pick Was Best This Week?!

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (140)

• Tyler

Tyler (137)

• rita ora can win a oscar

rita ora can win ... (87)

• Mark111

Mark111 (72)

1. November 27, 2012 at 9:50 am
    RITANATION says:

Lmao let me get into some more relevant news Rita album is coming to a store near YOU. So ya other chicks out there better watch it beyonce I got a lot of respect for a boss diva like you.. But Rita can just come out of nowhere and snatch you’er wig like its nothing it’s just like that.

2. November 27, 2012 at 10:22 am
    _yezir says:

Only song i can stand on that list is call you tonight by whitney. The rest is all trash

3. November 27, 2012 at 10:27 am
    blaze says:

KILLING TIME was the song… That cd was so slept on!!!

• November 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm
      prettigurlrockD bitchess says:

I can see why. It’s boring. “Say my name” is their best song in the early days.

4. November 27, 2012 at 10:32 am
    JOHNVIDAL says:

Whitney is Whitney! So I definitely voted for her. But there are so many impacting songs on her catalogue that i don´t understand how you can focus so much on her I look to You era and never post about the legendary greatness of 80´s and early 90´s Whitney

I like the Aguilera one too

The other two I don´t care

5. November 27, 2012 at 11:03 am
    simonsez-CD says:

GET MINE GET YOURS!! My jam to this day, all the ad-libs, the lyrics, the mid tempo mix of it all…love it!!

6. November 27, 2012 at 11:48 am
    I.D. says:

Either X-Tina or Ms. Milian

7. November 27, 2012 at 11:52 am
    Leticia says:

GMGY used to be my jam!!! The entire Stripped album was a classic! Christina at her BEST.

Destinys Child debut album was also hot! “Killing Time,” “My Time Has Come” and “No No No” were my faves!!

8. November 27, 2012 at 12:53 pm
    Tru _ Voice says:

WHITNEY!!!!! Aguilera is good too.

9. November 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm
    Monstarebel (DIAMONDS IS NUMBER 1) says:

WHITNEY OF COURSE

10. November 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm
    MUSICHEAD says:

Killing Time is the song that made me fall in love with Destiny’s Child. The harmonies and Beyonce’s vocal on this track is a classic. 1998 was the year! This song was also featured on a soundtrack as well. This was before they finally blew up. I always knew this group had the potential to be huge! Glad they made it!

11. November 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm
    Monstarebel (DIAMONDS IS NUMBER 1) says:

Christina has the most overrated voice in music history all she is, is NOISE !

• November 27, 2012 at 11:05 pm
      Rob says:

Rihoe has the most HORRIBLE voice in the music industry. *Sips tea

• November 28, 2012 at 4:45 am
        mr.m says:

DEAD

12. November 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm
    Aishaaguilerakeys says:

Aguilera . I wish she’d promote her last album, there are some pretty good songs on it. She can’t just count on The Voice as promo, obviously.

13. November 27, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    prettigurlrockD bitchess says:

I’m pretty sure mostly everyone is a fan of get mine get yours cuz that’s one of xtina’s best songs on the album. And DEAD. I aint tryna hear no christina millian.

14. November 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm
    DC FOREVER says:

DAVID WINS!!!!

Killing Time gives me the holly ghost still til this day. Bey on lead vocals, even then in 98′ , was snatchin’ wigs and killing other girls out the game.

“Don’t believe me…look it up in the dictionary…”

SN: Sam, you are a very close 2nd. X-Tina’s Get Mine, Get Yours makes me feel like a w**** in the Red Light district and want to freak everything that walks….great s** song.

• November 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm
      prettigurlrockD bitchess says:

Get mine get yours won tho. And what women doesn’t feel like getting the sh*t f*cked outta her sometimes? Don’t play innocent!

• November 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm
        DC FOREVER says:

LMAO Sis I’m a virgin…….. like Grandma Madge : )

15. November 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm
    Casual says:

I voted Whitney, but the real undiscovered SMASH on her ILTY album was For the Lovers. Another overlooked potential hit was Whitney’s dance version of A Song For You.

• November 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm
      MUSICHEAD says:

If you like A Song For You, check out the live version Whitney did in concert back in 1991 I believe. She murdered that song! It’s on Youtube.

16. November 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm
    BEYONCE4LIFE says:

Although Sam took some artistic liberties with this article, it was very good. I love X-Tina Stripped Era, straight fire! I don’t know happened. And Christina Milian can never catch a break…she can sing her ass off too.

No doubt, my girl Beyonce was leading the pack with Destiny’s Child. The King is the ONLY ONE

17. November 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm
    MC says:

I voted for Whitney. Get mine, get yours is a good song too.

18. November 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm
    MUSICHEAD says:

Other gems by these artists:

Christina Milian- Us Against The World
    Christina Aguilera- A Song For You
    Destiny’s Child- Say My Name (Live in Atlanta ’05)
    Whitney Houston- And I Am Telling You/I Have Nothing medley

• November 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm
      JAZMINE SULLIVANS FAN says:

Other gems of these artists:

Christina Aguilera: I’m OK (It is my life’s lyrics)
      Whitney Houston: For The Lovers
      Christina Millian: Hot Boy
      Destiny’s Child: Is She The reason

Actually I still listen to GMGY…it’s one of my faves from Aguilera’s catalog

• November 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm
        MUSICHEAD says:

I always thought Is She The Reason should have been a single from Destiny Fulfilled

• November 28, 2012 at 6:04 am
      sharon says:

Christina aguilera: MERCY ON ME!!! (THAT SONG IS EPIC!!!)
      Destiny’s child: If And Through With Love (Love their harmonies and voices, Michelle shines on these tracks especially live!)
      Whitney Houston: Greatest Love Of All live on welcome home heroes. ( One of many reasons why she is the voice!! so effortlessly powerful and beautiful!)

19. November 27, 2012 at 5:51 pm
    JAZMINE SULLIVANS FAN says:

Samara, what about a ‘Rihanna’s The Best You Never Heard’?

20. November 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm
    Janessa says:

Killing Time is the best of ‘em all. The live version own careers.

BEYONCE TEACHES, YOU SHALL LEARN

21. November 28, 2012 at 2:49 am
    Kayla says:

Whitney Houston for sure. She can do no wrong!! http://vevo.ly/VPMh9X

• November 28, 2012 at 2:49 am
      Kayla says:
  22. November 28, 2012 at 4:46 am
    mr.m says:

Xtina
    The voice of our generation ..

23. November 28, 2012 at 6:05 am
    sharon says:

Christina aguilera: MERCY ON ME!!! (THAT SONG IS EPIC!!!)

24. November 28, 2012 at 9:16 am
    bibi93 says:

Christina Aguilera

25. November 30, 2012 at 11:40 am
    princediamond says:

Whitney Whitney Whitney Whitney!!!! Her sngs r wat music stands 4, she was music and 4eva i stand as a great fan, love u whitney. R.I.P