Nelly Furtado: “My Long-Term Goal Is To Be An Independent Artist”

shares
nelly furtado 2013 1 e1357349948536 Nelly Furtado: My Long Term Goal Is To Be An Independent Artist

One has to admire Nelly Furtado.

For, unlike many artists who willfully and skillfully erase any trace of their flop projects, the Canadian native is standing by her latest LP ‘The Spirit Indestructible’. This, despite the set selling just 6,000 copies first week in the US last September.

Having already opened up on the project’s performance (or lack-thereof), the 34 year old offers “interesting” insight on her career plans in the wake of the album’s sales in a new interview with the Times Colonist.

Full story after the jump…

Intriguingly, Furtado revealed that work has already begun on the follow-up to the ironically titled ‘Indestructible’ – stressing that it’ll be her last contractual obligation to current label Interscope.

Having been allowed to release 2009’s Spanish-language LP ‘Mi Plan’ independently on her own label Nelstar (thanks to a clause she insisted feature in her contract), the mother of one added that this is a route she plans to follow with future releases.

Excerpts from her interview below

“The choices I’ve made have helped me for the long term. Now, after this album, I can finally do whatever the heck I want to do. I can do a Portuguese album, or a Brazilian pop album, or another English album. Now I feel like I can truly do what I want to do. A bit of an exhale, I guess you could say.

My long-term goal is to be independent, quite frankly. I got quite spoiled doing Mi Plan, and in the context of my English projects, I’ve had a lot of creative freedom. It’s quite addictive, that creative independence. You start to crave it more and more as you move forward.”

{Source}

********

Granted the eclectic nature of Furtado’s sound could lend itself successfully to the Independent model, we reluctantly ask her to have an arena of seats. For, it’s oh so clear that she’s only spouting such lines due to her album bombing. Cynical sounding, perhaps, but the proof is in the figures.

Indeed, had she even sold 20,000 copies first week, there’d be some semblance of sense in her “independent” ambitions (low production costs, un-polluted sound and a touring focus could net her $$$ aplenty). However, selling 6000 copies with a major label machine and ample promo suggests there’s a bigger problem at hand; a fact which brings to light a prominent issue with the “I’ll just go independent” argument.

For, while going it alone can potentially line ones pockets up handsomely, if the public don’t care about your music, there’ll be no sales and ultimately no dollar-shaped pie to get a bigger slice of.

Food for thought.

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (81)

• Mark111

Mark111 (66)

• rita ora

rita ora (60)

• Tyler

Tyler (58)

1. January 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm
    HoneychildPlease says:

Well honey child if you become an independent artist i guess selling 6000 copies next album, won’t be so bad…I mean you can have some cash left over after printing l page album covers, and making beats on cake walk…

• January 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm
      Monstarebel says:

6000 copies tho???? lol makes ciaras 37k look good kiiii

• January 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm
        HoneychildPlease says:

Durrrling that’s like the total azealia banks fan base buying her album…SMH such a shame

2. January 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm
    Monstarebel says:

she’s such a flop…omg!! anyways I can’t wait for FERGIES COMEBACK THIS YEAR!!!

3. January 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm
    talk that s*** says:

Didn’t she get Grammy on her last independent project? lol Nelly aint the typical pop artist, she has talent.

4. January 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm
    Flop Cheeta Whora gave Rob an STD from her 20 guys says:

I feel so sorry for her. Un;ike Rita Whora, as she has made money fro her lable. She deserves a chance.

5. January 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm
    Flop Cheeta Whora gave Rob an STD from her 20 guys says:

Quit tryna shade her f**, at least she has never been out as filthy bisexual w**** like rita whora.

• January 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm
      Common Sense says:

What’s wrong with bisexuals you bitchy c***?

6. January 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

March 15, 2013 Crans-Montana

7. January 4, 2013 at 9:42 pm
    Aaron says:

O_O 6000?

8. January 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm
    HoneychildPlease says:

Just when ciara set a record for lowest selling album of all time, here comes nelly taking it away…

• January 5, 2013 at 12:44 am
      QUEEN MINAJ says:

ACTUALLY KREAYSHAWN SOLD 3,900

• January 5, 2013 at 1:44 am
        ENOUGH ONIKA (0 GRAMMY NOMS...) says:

oh my…..

9. January 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    talk that s*** says:

When was Ciara last tour?!! LMAO STOP.

• January 5, 2013 at 7:18 am
      Likica says:

True, Nelly is very popular in Europe especially in German speaking countries. Cedric could never ;)

10. January 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm
    Queen of Disco (Beyonce's Weave) says:

AKA “My label will be dropping me soon”.

11. January 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    Cream says:

6000? I fell sory for this b**** life this is sad this not even funny y’all stop it. @Queen of Disco the b**** in you’re pic is ugly

12. January 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    King B>Rihanna says:

I still like the album so I could give two f**** that it flop.But Nelly stop making excuses just say it flop or my label is dropping nothing is wrong in admitting it GURL.

13. January 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    NAVI says:

well you’re selling like an independent artist so you’re off on a good start lol

14. January 4, 2013 at 10:24 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY says:

OMG, 6000 COPIES FIRST WEEK. I really like her but those numbers are NOT cute.

15. January 4, 2013 at 10:40 pm
    OMG Just Google Kelsnetwork and see what happens! says:

i miss the loose days…

• January 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm
      King B>Rihanna says:

yes promiscuous was everything

• January 5, 2013 at 7:21 am
        Likica says:

@KING B>RIHANNA
        Maneater and Say it right >>

• January 5, 2013 at 8:50 am
        King B>Rihanna says:

good for you I still prefer promiscuous.

• January 5, 2013 at 10:54 am
        Likica says:

Your opinion is s*** ;)

16. January 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    Queen of Disco (Beyonce's Weave) says:

@Cream

I am not surprised you do not know who South African Queen of Disco “Lebo Mathosa” is and that can be attributed to the ignorance black people have.

Black people (most American blacks) are ignorant of any music outside their Beyonce c****** shaking hood rat anthems and your ignorant comment proves it.

Lebo Mathosa started out in Boom shaka and became one of the most successful female Kwaito artists in South Africa. She has had influence on the South African music scene and was a much more funkier version of Brenda Fassie (I bet you don’t even know who Brenda Fassie is).

She has gone on tour all over Asia, Europe and some places in the USA as well as many times in South Africa. But then again, you wouldn’t know that.

• January 4, 2013 at 11:28 pm
      HoneychildPlease says:

Honey child all that grinding, and tidday clapping in that video….no one checking for that washed up middle age act…So what if Americans only like AMERICAN music, b**** we AMERICAN, no one want’s to listen to tribal s***. It’s a matter of preference so deal

• January 4, 2013 at 11:30 pm
        HoneychildPlease says:

Yeah i’m black, but b**** i aint from AFRICA! Just because i’m black i should listen to that jungle jungle s***??? please child

• January 4, 2013 at 11:37 pm
        Queen of Disco (Beyonce's Weave) says:

Great way to insult a deceased woman.

**looks at you with pity**

It wouldn’t hurt to be open to different cultures every now and then, plus “grinding, and tidday clapping” = Beyonce, just saying.

• January 4, 2013 at 11:47 pm
        HoneychildPlease says:

Who care’s if she dead!! Is that suppose to stop me from speaking my truth??? Child please…i understand about being open minded but some people just want like either way

• January 5, 2013 at 3:21 am
        Flop Cheeta Whora gave Rob an STD from her 20 guys says:

Wow

You are inssulting a dead woman. Well don’t expect the world to care when American black n***** like Trayvon martin get popped.

• January 5, 2013 at 10:12 am
        KC says:

Stop being hypocritical @Flop cheeta whora especially when you just wished breast cancer on Beyonce the other day. Idiot. And you guys are always insulting people unneccessarily, dont make it right dead or alive.

17. January 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm
    Cream says:

Ciara fans don’t get to happy one women flop will do about the same @Queen of the Disco I just said the b**** ugly stay pressed and mad c***

18. January 4, 2013 at 11:15 pm
    Jay Jay says:

I really don’t want to shade Nelly but 6,000? That’s less than amount of people go to my school

19. January 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    Jay Jay says:

Now we all waits for kreayshawn to say the same thing cause her album flop more than nelly did. 3k the first week.. And now until this day it reach 8k lol I just saw it today

20. January 4, 2013 at 11:27 pm
    RITANATION says:

I hate how she ain’t telling us the truth:( just tell us the label is dropping you damn! You don’t gotta say you going independent just say you’re a flop & the label don’t want you anymore it’s not that hard.

• January 5, 2013 at 12:16 am
      Flop Cheeta Whora gave Rob an STD from her 20 guys says:

I dont know why you are feeling cocky. Nelly has outsold Rita Whora in albums and sales. This will be Rita Whora 2013.

21. January 4, 2013 at 11:48 pm
    Common Sense says:

Poor Nelly she deserves another chance. Hopefully her label realizes she has the potential to deliver a hit album again.

22. January 4, 2013 at 11:55 pm
    Nay nay says:

E M BA R R A S I N G !

23. January 5, 2013 at 12:04 am
    Monstarebel says:

Azealia banks is currently getting into another fight on Twitter this time with Perez Hilton -______-

24. January 5, 2013 at 12:24 am
    Peter G says:

I don’t know if people could hear properly but she sounded like a retarded 9 year old on her last album. She needs to sing like she used to and lose the outdated urban sound. She could still sell so they shouldn’t just drop her, she just needs some repairing! If she goes independent that’s the end fosho!

• January 5, 2013 at 7:15 am
      Likica says:

Gurl hush! She sings well and her music is great. I remember your post when you said this b**** sounds so whiney :P But no >>>

• January 7, 2013 at 2:52 am
        irene46 says:

this is waaay different from her huge hit with tim and even her first projects. i like nelly but this…not so much. hope she gets a chance to make a comeback though.

25. January 5, 2013 at 12:34 am
    Ky says:

Doing an album without Timbo… I think that’s what killed this CD. Loose was mostly her and Tim… they made an amazing record TOGETHER! IF she get back with him maybe she’ll see the success she’s looking for

• January 5, 2013 at 3:25 am
      ENOUGH ONIKA (0 GRAMMY NOMS...) says:

Timbo struggling himself though….

26. January 5, 2013 at 12:35 am
    Sierra says:

Never been a fan of hers :-/

27. January 5, 2013 at 12:45 am
    QUEEN MINAJ says:

ACTUALLY KREAYSHAWN’S ALBUM SOLD 3,900 COPIES AND THEY WERE RELEASED THE SAME DAY.SO YOU SHOULD SHADE KREAYSHAWN

IS IT MY FAULT ALL YOU b****** GONE?
    *RAH RAH*

• January 5, 2013 at 12:58 am
      RITANATION says:

That’s what I been trying to telling everybody she the one who needs to get bash hard. But I think TGJ forgot about kreayshawn for some reason he ain’t really done any posts on her in a while. Yea but she really needs to get shade NOT! Nelly

• January 5, 2013 at 1:12 am
        QUEEN MINAJ says:

and nelly had 0 promo but anyways nelly just need to get it together and make another hit like
        say it right <3

• January 5, 2013 at 1:14 am
      Peter G says:

Because Klayshit never happened. Nelly used to be one of the biggest international artists around, people genuinely care that she flopped.

• January 5, 2013 at 1:18 am
        RITANATION says:

You know Peter you said it best! I never thought of it like that.. Yea you right

• January 5, 2013 at 1:22 am
        QUEEN MINAJ says:

yeah but when you take a break from the scene you need some buzz before you drop a project

28. January 5, 2013 at 1:46 am
    ENOUGH ONIKA (0 GRAMMY NOMS...) says:

Nelly……..6,000 though????? Gospel artists don’t even sell this low and you are backed by a major mainstream label. What in the hell happened??! Now that’s a TRUE flop.

29. January 5, 2013 at 1:53 am
    MISHKA says:

Well, Nelly,

Being an independent artist is a lot of work too. If you’re already a mainstream artist, what’s the point.

You run a label right? Then start recruiting your clique, signing younger acts, expanding your brand. Keep getting guest start roles on TV, just keep your resume popping.

BE A JUDGE ON X-FACTOR, THE VOICE OR IDOL whether it would be in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Australia or wherever else.

She has an indie sound but I don’t pictured her as an indie artist. I think she just got lazy.

30. January 5, 2013 at 3:20 am
    NickyStar says:

I really feel bad for her. Her work, while not always popular, is usually really creative. I wish her the best of luck in her career.

31. January 5, 2013 at 3:57 am
    JER says:

honey you already there

32. January 5, 2013 at 3:58 am
    Sleazy says:

34k ciara? More than your parents pay put together half of you work at burger king so Don’t come for nelly Nd cici While you flipping burgers they enjoying the rich life…… Now stfu And get me my order… And to rihanna fans You h** sales are falling watch what you say She’ll end up selling p**** in iceland

33. January 5, 2013 at 10:05 am
    Fierce p**** says:

Poor Nelly. I feel bad for her. She’s actually an ecclectic popstar and talented. She’s pretty authentic. I will take her over Lana anyday. Can’t stand that chick.

34. January 5, 2013 at 10:11 am
    Fierce p**** says:

Queen of disco: b**** stfu. Don’t act like u don’t have ur fine moments of ignorance on these posts yourself b****. I can’t stand hypocritical b****** like u. Eat rocks h**. African American is the name whites gave us. That don’t mean we are from Africa though. We are not natives of that country therefore do not know all of that country’s history. Whites are hell bent teaching us of European culture in our schools rather than our own culture in a different country. So f*** off.

35. January 5, 2013 at 10:13 am
    KC says:

Oh mayun.

36. January 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    irene46 says:

another example of a good artist being trampled by the no singing basic talents (or no talents) the public now prefers. pathetic!

37. January 6, 2013 at 11:11 am
    stan says:

oh please, she wouldn’t be saying that if she didn’t flop.