Watch: Nicki Minaj Takes ‘Idol’ To ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ / Performs ‘Va Va Voom’

shares

Nicki Minaj hopped back on ‘American Idol’s promo train last night when took to ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live‘ for an upbeat interview on the series.

However, as you’ll see below, it was her performances on the show that served as the true highlight of her appearance. For, perhaps in realizing its potential as smash, the Rapper performed her British hit ‘Va Va Voom’ for the very first time on US television, followed by a rousing serving of ‘Freedom‘.

Unfortunately, while ‘Voom’s performance worked on an arrangement and ‘energy’ tip, it failed to wow when it came to her own styling, ‘backing track dependent’ vocals and ‘choreography’. Choreography that lacked the feminine sass we met in ‘5 Star Chick’ and that this performance desperately needed.

Watch below…

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (154)

• Tyler

Tyler (140)

• rita ora can win a oscar

rita ora can win ... (137)

• Mark111

Mark111 (81)

1. January 26, 2013 at 3:56 am
    DeezNuts says:

“And I don’t know why they mad…and I don’t know why they mad”!!! (5:14) hahah Me either Nicki!

Nicki MInaj is…MY b****. IDGAF what ANYONE has to say! I love that lady!

-Tune in to American Idol folks! :)

• January 26, 2013 at 10:48 am
      truth(slayer of icki funky ass stans b****!!) says:

BIIIIIIIIIITCH!! SHE A b**** AND YO MOMMA TOO!!

• January 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm
      sara says:

Wow… My best friend has just announced her wedding with a handsome millionaire shortly after they met on~~~ http://meetlove.yolasite.com/ ~~~ 6 months ago. This is a site where you can meet rich successful men and classy gorgeous women such as CEOs, athletes, doctors, lawyers, models, celebrities, etc….Maybe you can take a try

2. January 26, 2013 at 3:56 am
    QUEEN MINAJ says:

AWWW :’)
    SLAYING 2013 ALREADY

3. January 26, 2013 at 4:00 am
    QUEEN MINAJ says:

WHY THESE BUMS SO MAD THAT THE QUEEN ON IDOL?

4. January 26, 2013 at 4:10 am
    Lax says:

KEEP DOING YOUR THING NICKI!

5. January 26, 2013 at 4:11 am
    Lax says:

NICKI YOU ARE SOUNDING AND LOOKING GREAT MAMMA!
    AND MAKING THAT $$$$$$ YOU KNOW MONEY DON’T CARE WHO OWNS IT.

6. January 26, 2013 at 4:20 am
    BeyFRAUD Armstrong (Beyonce's Weave) says:

YASSS NICKI YASSSS

Slaying effortlessly, and live too.

7. January 26, 2013 at 5:59 am
    NOBITCHASSNESS says:

ONLY WATCHING IDOL FOR THIS WOMAN.

8. January 26, 2013 at 6:16 am
    Lily says:

QUEEN

9. January 26, 2013 at 7:15 am
    Saetana says:

Anyone else notice she totally lipsynched the singing parts? I’m sorry but that is just not acceptable when all she is doing is standing there, ie not dancing. She is a good rapper but a crappy singer (hence the lipsynching, I’ve heard her sing live and it ain’t pretty) and what the f*** is she wearing? Disappointed as this is my current favourite song of hers (Va Va Voom) and she was totally lacking in energy :o(

• January 26, 2013 at 7:41 am
      QUEEN MINAJ says:

she was not lip singing
      and if beyonce can lip sing in front of the president that nicki cam too

• January 26, 2013 at 8:22 am
      AalexisR says:

Naa. You can tell she’s singing (slight out of tune mistakes, changes in vocal quality) and when it’s just the backing track. On Va Va Voom she was definitely singing. I didn’t hang around for the second one. Like one of the latest articles said on Beyonce’s LIVE performance, only musicians and real enthusiasts can tell. We pick up on certain things. Stay a fan bud! Don’t be disappointed.

• January 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm
        PSA (FAF) says:

She singing on top of a track Can u not hear her ? O_o

10. January 26, 2013 at 7:26 am
    NickiFan says:

I wish she would sop holding back those vocals. I loved the performances esp vavavoom, it was cute

11. January 26, 2013 at 7:40 am
    NΛVI says:

nice performance but LMAO why odes nicki minaj have the back up singers singing her song tho.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:37 am
      Music, Soul, Harmony says:

cuz she can’t sing that well obviously. They sing her under the table.

• January 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm
        PSA (FAF) says:

The end of the song is the backup singers, its not nicki

obviously they would sing their parts

12. January 26, 2013 at 8:05 am
    Xocio says:

WOW, YOU DELETED MY COMMENT, so much for FREEDOM OF SPEECH, I will have to re-evaluate if I will ever grace this site with my presence again, THAT WAS LOW…

13. January 26, 2013 at 9:10 am
    MICHAEL COX says:

WOW….. SHE FREAKING FLAWLESS AND AMAZING AS ALWAYS….. LOVE NICKI MINAJ REAL SIDE AND HER TRUE SIDE….. LIKE FOR REAL…… SHE ALWAYS SMILING AND LAUGHING AT YOU HATERZ…… PRICELESS…… SHE RAPPED LIKE SHE KILLS IT EVERYTIME…… WOW….. FLAWLESS…… I LOVE YOU NICKI MINAJ….. I’M YOUR #1 FAN…… I LOVE MY WIFEY, NICKI MINAJ……..

14. January 26, 2013 at 9:15 am
    JOHNVIDAL says:

This girl can´t perform. End of story
    Her potential audience are 5 years old girls. That´s pretty sad. And she still has the nerve of constantly rolling eyes when Mariah Carey wants to say something deeper in American Idol than the typical Minaj´s “I love your look, style” or “I love your tone”. b**** this is about talent and not about being cool and liking customes like you do

• January 26, 2013 at 10:35 am
      Music, Soul, Harmony says:

She’s terrible. She is better as a recording artist like her friend Rihanna.

• January 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm
        JOHNVIDAL says:

Music industry would be in a better place without Nicki, Rihanna, Kesha, Katy perry and even Britney S. or J.Lo. I would retire them all. Or even better I would erase thier careers. Like they never existed lol

• January 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm
        PSA (FAF) says:

all that dissertation yet again hiding behind whitney ..

where is your A&R career since u know so much ?

Why didn’t I see 5 yr olds in the audience ?

stick to the s*** u know, f*** church songs & Dorinda clark cole

Church QUEEN !

• January 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
        Likica (Kelly Clarkson - the voice of generation) says:

Well, Katy/Rihanna/Britney, even Nicki made their careers with their own music unlike Whitney who is known thanks to I Will Always Love You which is not originally her song (don’t try with other songs because people don’t know her because of them). I don’t like Nicki/Katy, but Rihanna and Britney have great songs. Don’t even try to shade them when you stan for Tranny CaCa whose music is generic mess and repetitive garbage (gaga ulalala rarara, po po po pokerface wtf?). Oh, and Kelly Clarkson >>> Lana Del Ray (her voice is disgusting and she sucks live).

• January 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm
      JOHNVIDAL says:

@likica
      gilr you´re a f****** joke LOL So Katy Perry is great but Whitney Houston is a nobody with only a hit in her career and blah blah blah LMAO
      I could bring so many facts it´s not even funny
      Hey at least your Kelly Clarkson sounded amazing the other day :)

15. January 26, 2013 at 9:19 am
    Drayner317 says:

Why, did I just waste 5 minutes of my life watching this brittney spears try to sing? Lady please stay in your seat at AI! The worst season ever!!!

16. January 26, 2013 at 9:56 am
    @Taimiicel says:

QUEEN NICKI!!

SLAYED THE INTERVIEW AND THE PERFORMANCE AND IT WAS OBVIOUS SHE WASNT LIP SYNCING AND SHE MADE IT VERY CLEAR WHEN THERE WAS BACKING TRACK PLAYING HATERS!!

17. January 26, 2013 at 10:38 am
    Music, Soul, Harmony says:

Nicki Minaj has a fun relatable personality live. She just doesn’t have the voice or talent. But her stans will ride for her anyway so I aint mad. Get money.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:52 am
      truth(slayer of icki funky ass stans b****!!) says:

Honey please

• January 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm
        PSA (FAF) says:

top 5 mcs

YOU may think she does not have vocals

but lyrically, she is a brilliant writer who can take a concept and run w/ it

and her flow & punchlines are unmatched by any female in the industry

her fast delivery rivals busta rhymes and other 90s great MCs

• January 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm
        truth(slayer of icki funky ass stans b****!!) says:

Chiiiile!

• January 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm
        Music, Soul, Harmony says:

Her rapping is mediocre to me…But she’s a good recording artist and good at writing melodies.

18. January 26, 2013 at 11:11 am
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (NICKI IS MARIAH'S LESSER) says:

TBH, she is doing a much better job on idol than I thought she would. But I still don’t believe that she’s the best. This is my rank:

1) Keith – 4.5 ⭐
    2) Mariah – 4⭐
    2) Randy (tied with Mimi) 4⭐
    4) Nicki – 2.5 ⭐

I think Nicki is best when it comes to making the contestants feel as if they have what it takes to be the next American idol and to become a huge superstar as her self. She is very encouraging as well and very sweet and kind to the contestants.

I think a lot of people including the producers are getting this confused with being the “best judge.” She might bring energy but she doesn’t say things that will necessarily help the contestant. I mean how many times has she said, “You have a pretty tone.” Exactly. She uses the word tone more than Britney used “amazing.”

She also needs to understand that the judges at the table have different opinions than her so the constant eye rolling and all that attitude is not needed. And when people come in and say they love mariah, I see the jealousy.

I pick Keith as the best because he’s funny at times without trying to be over top and trying to steal the show like nicki. He also provides very helpful critique. Mariah and Randy are also really great. But Randy is trying to be like Simon at times and it does not work for him and sometimes Mariah seems as If she’s not present. But overall they are amazing in my opinion.

I actually preferred Jeniffer Lopez and Steven Tyler last season. :D

• January 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm
      JOHNVIDAL says:

I agree with most of your comment. But no, this panel is way better and entertaining than the last years. Please lol
      The Mariah not being present at times it´s true, but it makes sense. She does it when a contestant is horrible or average. Mimi is not there for people that can´t sing, that´s for damn sure lol. Yes Keith is cute. And Nicki brings some energy at times but like you said, she tries to steal the show and the few moments the others want to talk more than what they usually do (like when Mariah wants to express her thoughts when a contestant is really good) she starts to roll eyes immediately, she really believes she´s the only one interesting and the others are boring. Too much ego for such a small and new artist. Oh and yeah then the little detail that half the contestants arrived saying how they admire Mariah and the only one I´ve seen saying that about Nicki was a very little girl (around 5 years old) that went with her mother to the audition lol

• January 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm
        SLAYRIAH CAREY (NICKI IS MARIAH'S LESSER) says:

i agree that the panel is more entertaining than it was last year but i just loved the chemistry between JLo, Steven and Randy.

Lol, The 5 years old shade. Ain’t no one checking for nicki but the little kids. :D

• January 26, 2013 at 12:47 pm
      ƸӜƷ MC ƸӜƷ says:

I agree with your assessment of the judges.

Nicki brings the fun, creative, outspoken, and kinda cooky personality and is a target to the 18-25 category (as intended by Idol).

Keith brings the nice guy with a great personality and is a target to the middle ages, country fans (as intended by Idol).

Mariah brings that experience as well as knowledge and is a target for people who want to watch for her talent and shade throwing (as intended by Idol).

Randy………tries to be Simon (as intended by Idol)?

• January 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm
        SLAYRIAH CAREY (NICKI IS MARIAH'S LESSER) says:

I’ really liking keith though.
        i loved the moment when he asked mariah what age she started to write music.

I got TIRED of The Nicki/Mariah feud so quickly.
        But the ‘mean girls’ conversation was so funny.
        and when mariah said, “if she calls me a word that starts with a ‘b’ and ends with an ‘itch’, I rebuke.” :D

• January 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm
        ƸӜƷ MC ƸӜƷ says:

lol I know.

• January 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm
        Music, Soul, Harmony says:

Keith is adorable to me and gives fair criticsm same with mariah. Nicki is loud mouth and can be annoying sometimes before she judges. Randy acts like Randy.

• January 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm
        Music, Soul, Harmony says:

Only thing I agree with Nicki on is the other judges on the panel trying to pigeonhole the bluesy country singer. The other ones didn’t know if she wanted to do country or R&B as a career. Nicki was the only one I agreed with that genre doesn’t define a singer!

19. January 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Truth (Number 1 Nicki stan) says:

The Queen slayed Jimmy Kimmel last night ,Yass!

20. January 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    skintightjeans says:

Her raggadey lacefront is too far down on her forehead…..

21. January 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    nick says:

loved it all

22. January 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    theman says:

Mariah/Keith are the best judges. They have expertise/talent and natural charm.

Nicki is quite annoying. She’s very forced in her commentary. She only started speaking of tone once the other judges ran with it. Also, she rambles often to seem as though she knows what she’s talking about. She’s very insecure about Mariah’s resume/success, and her inspiring everyone. It’s also aggravating that she cuts Mariah off so early, only for her to talk about a bunch of nothing. Mariah’s sense of music is amazing. Nicki is very hypocritical. She also likes to twist the other judges intentions.

No one ever told that country singer that she had to be this or that, they were just saying that her sound was country, which it is. It wasn’t like she had a T.Swift type of voice. She had alot of twang in her voice. Nicki was offended because she doesn’t know how to balance being a hip/pop artist. All of her last records have been pop records. Nicki should’ve gone to X-Factor. They seem to want more of what she’s looking for. An entertainer doesn’t have to be a walking stage show, they just have to engae their audience in what they are conveying.

• January 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm
      theman says:

engage*.

• January 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm
      op says:

Y ou are a f-cking liar most of you on here are plain old Nicki haters,i don’t take nothing what none of you sat serious,just plain bias haters you all are.