Welcome to the new ThatGrapeJuice.net

TGJ Replay: Jennifer Lopez’s ‘On the 6′

617ad13f1df96c8c0c059f7233b4512f TGJ Replay:  Jennifer Lopezs On the 6

Much like our ‘Retro Rewind’ and ‘From the Vault’ segments, readers of That Grape Juice what avid music lovers we are – especially of hits past.  So in a quest to re-spin the gems and jams of yesterday we introduce a new retrospective segment – ‘TGJ Replay’.

Unlike its ‘Rewind’ and ‘Vault’ predecessors, ‘Replay’ looks to dust off and showcase albums (and eras) from a library of pop music hits.  Our inaugural post comes from none other than ‘Jenny From the Block’ herself – Jennifer Lopez.

Before she was dominating media and affectionately christened J.Lo by her adoring fans, she was ‘that girl that played Selena‘.  Her debut album ‘On the 6′, however, changed all of that…

fbee27381c312ce6f21ad9b5f5ec5a7d TGJ Replay:  Jennifer Lopezs On the 6

Fresh from a critically acclaimed portrayal of late Tejano music starlet Selena, Jennifer Lopez’s budding career was already shining bright – making an impressive transition from ‘In Living Color’ backup dancer to highly sought after Latina actress in the late ’90s.

But, according to Lopez, it was her starring role in the biographical film that truly planted a music bug in her.  A bug that eventually led Lopez into the studio with top hitmakers Rodney Jerkins and more for ‘On the 6′ – her debut album.  Titled after the very Subway she would take in New York early in her career and later led by #1 hit single ‘If You Had My Love’, it appeared music fans had nothing but love for Lopez’s offerings:

And, while the album’s follow-up singles ‘Waiting For Tonight‘, ‘Feeling So Good’, and ‘Let’s Get Loud’ failed to make the noise their predecessor made on the Hot 100, Lopez had undoubtedly already made her mark on the music industry.

Alluring fans with her sultry dance moves and soft vocals, the album eventually went on to sell over 3 million in the U.S. alone and was the genesis of a media takeover by the Latina starlet which – over a decade later – has seen her sale 60 million + worldwide.

What’s your favorite song from ‘On the 6′?

• February 21, 2013 at 11:46 am
    truth(i will draaag the f*** outta icki and her stans) says:

WHO DA f*** CARES!!!!! anywho…Sammm(licking my lips) sooo how about that icki blog??

king z Replied:

nobody cares about flop nicki! in the ever so articulate words of famed orator Sweet Brown – “ain’t nobody got time for that”!

truth(i draaags icki and keshia cole and their funky ass stans) Replied:

Honey i wanna draaaag the b**** AND her stans..fall back daaaawling

• February 21, 2013 at 11:47 am
    King B>Rihanna says:

LOVE JENNIFER LOPEZ. THIS WAS A BOSS RECORD.

• February 21, 2013 at 11:48 am
    bitchpleaseeeeeeeeeeeee says:

STILL BANG THAT LP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• February 21, 2013 at 11:48 am
    king z says:

i’m soo here for this!

this is the jlo i remember and loved long before this electropop s***!
    this is when jlo was cool. it seems like after ben affleck her music career just went down the drain!

anywho, if you had my love is a song i still bump!

• February 21, 2013 at 11:51 am
    JUSTIN says:

QUEEN!

• February 21, 2013 at 11:54 am
    Sleazy says:

Waiting for tonight didn’t make a impact? It was a Smash! Plus all these heffers are doing dance now and Jlo done it on her debut album? Amazing lol

• February 21, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Mother Mariah says:

J. Lo was the ORIGINAL Beyonce. Like seriously, Beyonce modeled her career after ms Lopez. I used to love J. Lo. Especially when she went urban. Good times, good times.

*plays “Waiting for Tonight” and “I’m Real”*

King B>Rihanna Replied:

AGAIN SHOW HOW DUMB YOU ARE.BEYONCE MODELED HER CAREER AFTER MICHEAL JACKSON AND TINA TURNER.THERE IS NOT EVEN A HINT OF J.LO IN BEYONCE AT ALL WHETHER IT BE SONICALLY, FASHION-WISE NOR DANCE-WISE.

yes ma'am Replied:

beyonce may have modeled her career and performance style after TINA and MJ, but it is NO SECRET that MATTHEW (her guiding force) modeled her career after jlo. in 2003, jlo was the IT GIRL and she made having curves/booty cool.

beyonce ran with it. she was “inspired” im sure

King B>Rihanna Replied:

YES MA’AM BEING THICK AND CURVY GIRL IS THE BEST YOU GOT…YOUR JUST ANOTHER DUM b**** WHO WOULD JUST SAY s*** BECAUSE YOU DON’T LIKE BEYONCE AND EVEN IF BEYONCE WAS INSPIRED SHE SO HELL MADE IT WAY BETTER THAN J.HOE EVER DID.

Jas Replied:

“J. Lo was the ORIGINAL Beyonce. ” Idk about that one. Beyonce and J.lo are two of my fave’s, along with Janet Jackson. I agree with @KING B>RIHANNA though Beyonce wants to be the modern riendition of Tina Turner. Which makes a lot of sense from the outfits she perform’s in, to the big hair, and even the dance moves; she has the act down packed lolol. On many occasions I’ve heard her say that she was inspired by Micheal Jackson. She’s also stated that she is/was a big fan of Janet Jackson growing up. I have yet to hear her say anything about being inspired by J.lo. As far as style goes their very similar. Their sounds/vocals however, are really not all that similar. So I don’t agree with you.

Jess Replied:

KING B>RIHANNA No, Janet Jackson made being the IT GIRL with curves/booty hot first….just saying.

Jess Replied:

Oops sorry @KING B>RIHANNA That comment was for @YES MA’AM (:

• February 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    SlayDeleAdkins says:

This album takes me BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    ERIN says:

LOVE THAT ALBUM

• February 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    Mimi says:

On the 6 was a good alumb. It had some bangers on their. I think she need to start working with rodney jenkins again. Cause he produced her best work. I havient been feeling the music she been releasing lately. I miss the on the 6, j.lo, j to tha lo, this is me… Then, rebirth j.lo. I think her music career fell off due to marc anthony and ben afleck. Cause jennifer lopez became over exposed during her jenny from the block era do to her relationship ben. Then she switch up her sound when she met marc anthony. But hey j.lo is a real business woman.

• February 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    pop ROYALTY says:

I don’t think i should share my Last.fm plays in here , but i’ve been playing the hell out of this album lately ! arguably her best album to date.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv It.

• February 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    Chillin says:

Feeling So Good was my DAMN JAM!! still banging it

• February 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

I love this record, 1999-2000 were amazing years to music lovers, J.Lo is that b****, i used to take that Subway to go to The Bronx were some of my cousins lived, great album, love the Hip-Hop/Latin/Soul sound of the album.

• February 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    The Truth says:

Working with Cory Rooney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@JLo

Who dat in da studio??!! @CORYROONEY #justhowitshouldbe pic.twitter.com/0jbrESVOtM

• February 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm
    Hilly says:

Awww I used to be so in love with JLO! I’m still enjoying Waiting for tonight!

• February 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    Gabriel says:

She is amazing!
    She mightn’t have the greatest voice ever
    but she has style, she has something we don’t know…
    Jennifer got “the thing” we all love!
    Many artists now wouldn’t be here if wasn’t for her
    J.Lo made something great.
    The Latin artists have her as an inpiration.
    The 90′s and the beginning of 2000′s was wonderful when it
    comes to music.
    I’m really tired of Rihanna, Gaga an all those electropop divas,
    It was great listen pure urban musice, pure urban pop…
    Now we gave all thi electronic influences that we badly can hear the
    voice of the singer sometimes…
    We not listening music anymore, but noise…
    Love J.Lo, Janet, Mariah, destiny’s Child and all the R&B/Pop divas
    from 90′s to the start of 2000′s.

• February 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    JOHNVIDAL says:

At her peak and when albums still sold huge way and she sold just 3 million in the USA? Ok Now I know why she wasn´t on that list I checked the other day about the best album sellers in the USA. She has not even surpassed 10 million copies in the USA in her whole career (well Rihanna is as bad of an album seller as her and her fans think she is slaying so… :) )
    About the music: yes this was her best era, and a little bit of J.Lo in 2011 too. Nothing too great obviously

Suicide Blonde Replied:

Lopez has sold over 11.8 million albums in the United States and over 70 million records worldwide, it’s not that bad, C’mon, i know you hate her but J.Lo is J.Lo.

Gabriel Replied:

What the f*** you’re talking about?!
    I’m talking about MUSIC, not selling albuns or anything…
    Doesn’t matter if an artist sell one album or a 100 million,
    music is not about the commercial thing man!
    This is the reason why the music quality is gettin lower and lower, because people like you want to buy an image, a song that is great when you listen for 4 weeks and after you already think it’s old and need to hear something new!
    People love J.Lo, no matter how many she sold. She got “the thing”, Rihanna , Gaga, Azelia Banks and others need to be under a a montruos costum, give “interestings” declarations about their lives, post polemic pictures on twitter and other htings to keep on the top.
    J.Lo, Beyoncé, Adele, Katy Perry and others divas just don’t need this…

JOHNVIDAL Replied:

@suicide
    I left my comment thinking of you lol I knew you weere coming :) Btw 10 or 11.8, is not a big difference. Mediocre compared to the hype, just like Rihanna

JOHNVIDAL Replied:

@gabriel
    Wasn´t talking to you hun, so I commented about I wanted, not what you were talking about. Anyway, this replay is joke. Putting Katy Perry in the same group with Adele… lol

Suicide Blonde Replied:

@Johnny
    but Lady Gaga sales in the US are not big either, Mediocre compared to the hype.

JOHNVIDAL Replied:

@suicide
    Gaga has only 2 albums out in the downloading era. Jenny tried with several ones and the best ones had moderate sales and the rest are flops
    But why gaga now? I just like her, like I like others, you´re a true stan. Get over it :)

Suicide Blonde Replied:

@JOHNNY
    You’re a fan of Gaga, you has say that she’s better than Madonna many times, you think she’s more talented, ect, ect, i’m not here to explain you what you already know, my point is that she should have Adele’s numbers, with all the hype, Born This Way was the most promoted album of all times, every single receive an special treatment and was as well promoted in every possible show in the US and the rest of the world, downloading era has nothing to do with sales maybe for the old ones who are out of their peak, these are Gaga’s best years so what you say about J.Lo applies to Gaga too.

Likica Replied:

I don’t understand why @JOHNVIDAL hates J. LO. She’s not the best vocalist but she has great songs, plus she is an ICON, like it or not but that’s true (I said an ICON not a LEGEND). Everyone knows who J. LO is around the world. Her music, perfume, movies, fashion, beauty… I don’t even need to explain it. J. LO will always be bigger fashion icon than Whitney/Mariah//Celine, and even Madonna.
    Btw that list you are always bringing is not true. :/ Avril/Beyonce/Kelly Clarkson have sold 12 million albums in the USA for sure. It’s not fair to compare 1980s/1990s market to 2000s/2010s and we all know why. Whitney albums from 2000s are stuggling to cross 3 million worldwide. And she had 25 million seller. J to tha L–O! The Remixes is the third best selling remix album of all time. What about the UK? Rihanna slays many people there. She has sold more albums than Britney/Christina/Beyonce. Madonna is the only female artist that has sold more records than Rihanna in the UK. Enjoy it.

Gabriel Replied:

@JOHNVIDAL Doesn’t matter if you’re talking to me or whatever, I am talking to you. I don’t think it’s a joke putting Adele and Katy Perry in the same group of Adele when it comes to the nowadays music scene, I’m not talking about their music style in fact, but how they work to make their music comes to people. They’re artist that don’t say stupid stuff or don’t sell their images like a lot of artists that make their public be more interested in their personal lives than their music…

• February 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    Ariel says:

beyonce learn a lot of her! all the jlovers who follow J-Lo since 1999 know that!! (I’m talk about old people here LOL) I love that era = no justina bieber, no rihanna big forehead, no lady caca…
    Jennifer is still on the gamee, she has a lot of money , she still is the queen!

• February 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    MISHKA says:

People will never leave Bey alone, that’s crazy.

I like J-Lo and I respect her successful career, Diddy taught her well.

• February 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    bibi93 says:

If You Had My Love

• February 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    Teacher says:

The original J.Lo! Not this fake that goes by the ghetto name Beyonce!!

King B>Rihanna Replied:

AND YOUR POINT IS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL MADONNA,PRINCE ,BOB MARLEY AND GRACE JONES!NOT THE FAKE f****** WANNA-BE RIHANNA. HOW THAT IS FOR YOU DUMB LOOSE p**** BRAT.

Chrissy Replied:

I find it very ironic that you should say that lol. Being that your fave is a fake ratchet rat whose stans often refer to as the “Black Madonna” LMFAO.

• February 21, 2013 at 10:58 pm
    ANNA says:

ohhhhhh !!!! this album makes me feel nostalgic… the 1998-2000 was one of the best era. i remenber listening to this record and it was so cool! and MTV was at its peak !!!!! shania twain, madonna, britney, jennifer, janet, mariah.. that was good and fresh female music…

• February 22, 2013 at 2:19 am
    antertain says:

What I loved with J.Lo is that she mixed her Latin routes with her passion for urban music.
    She also wisely did it with her pop tracks.

I was never feeling her vocal but always liked her songs and videos.

She learned from Janet when with her backing dancer and then moulded a hustle to draw her into the limelight through movies and performing.

J.lo’s face has barely aged since these times JEEEEeeezzzzzzZZZ

• February 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    cant wait new jlo commin says:

i love that album …she is workin hard on a new 1 right now,,,, can’t wait

• February 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    BOBBY D says:

DID EVERYONE JUST SEEM TO FORGET SHE DIDNT SING HER SONGS ON THIS ALBUM, IT WAS ASHANTI!?!?!?:!?!?!

FAKE!