To Our Readers

Watch: Jennifer Hudson Hits 2013 Oscars With ‘And I Am Telling You’

Screen shot 2013 02 24 at 9.43.18 PM Watch:  Jennifer Hudson Hits 2013 Oscars With And I Am Telling You

As we told you here, ‘Spotlight’ singer Jennifer Hudson would be part of an all-star lineup set to tribute the resurgence of musicals in mainstream cinema with Catherine Zeta-Jones, Anne Hathaway, and more.

However, when Hudson took the stage to sing her rendition of hit ‘Dreamgirls’ song ‘And I Am Telling You’, the spotlight was indeed all hers – lending a fiery performance that brought the audience to its feet.

See J. Hud deliver like only she can below:

Via our friends @PerezTV (Jennifer begins at 3:55):
56398e76be6355ad5999b262208a17c9 Watch:  Jennifer Hudson Hits 2013 Oscars With And I Am Telling You

Now, this is what we’re talking about!  As much as we are here for Jennifer’s brand of performance, we are not blind (or deaf) to the fact that she oft overuses her signature abilities at times where they may not be called for (see: every non-gospel performance).

However, when it comes to ‘And I Am Telling You’, Jen’s volumed/”in your face” passionate belting is certainly a necessity and is what helps her sail, sell, and nail the song every time she performs it – tonight being no exception.

She was without question the highlight of this segment.  Roll on new album!

1. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm
    irene46 says:

jennifer you looked and sounded maaavelous!

2. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm
    Momma Skorpion (As Seen On' YouTube) says:

Jennifer Hudson Sacrificed Her Family For Illuminati!!!!

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 12:31 am
      brownsuga says:

You aint NOBODYS momma u lying fiend.
      Your momma needs to really slap you!!

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 9:15 am
      truth(even tho im a PREEEGNET SISSY i draaags icki and keshia cole and their funky ass stans) says:

You need yo punkass asd kicked and im JUST the preeegnet SISSY to do it u h**

3. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    Momma Skorpion (As Seen On' YouTube) says:

Jennifer Hudson PLAYS THE GAME. She promotes this sickening music that is detrimental to society, and that’s been proven with research and she killed her parents for Illuminati !!!!

4. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    XOXO says:

THE b**** YELLED THE WHOLE PERFORMANCE!

JUST STOP IT

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 9:36 am
      chillin says:

But yet she got a STANDING ovation at the OSCARS..you just STOP IT

5. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    WatchingYouTrolls says:

Yeah, I remember almost ended Beyonce’ s career during the “DreamGirls” era !! Did the Beyhives forget .. OH

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 1:01 am
      Teacher says:

Lol they triied to forget!

6. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    pat says:

.slayed…her thin voiced lesser range peers could never

7. |
    February 24, 2013 at 10:53 pm
    mc the place to be! says:

I love how she kept it simple and didn’t do so many runs I loved it!

8. |
    February 24, 2013 at 11:08 pm
    King B>Rihanna says:

SHE SURE SCREAM AND YELLED AT ME!

9. |
    February 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm
    Danny b says:

Yea, she almost went ended Beyoncé’s career. Cuz Beyoncé went on to sell two more multiplatinum albums while Jennifer stayed at home dusting her one Oscar for the next 5 years and releasing one flop album. b****, sit.

10. |
    February 24, 2013 at 11:35 pm
    mc the place to be! says:

LOL at beyhive getting mad over jhud Oscar atleast she has on that’s bigger than any Grammy period you get an Oscar b**** you are the s*** dot com! Haters! Bravo academy award winner Jennifer Hudson. They just drop the Grammy once you win one shows how much power it has over anything kii

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 3:14 am
      Adellella says:

Oscars is a FILM award show the top for films
      Which film star wins grammys?

Grammys is the top music industry award show.

J Hud was versatile enough to win both because her award was not for the song alone, it was an ACTING award.

As a Bey lover I can NEVER be mad at J Hud for being a better actress.

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 8:02 am
      danny b says:

No ones mad over J. Hud. But when you bring up Bey in a post that doesn’t concern her, wth you expect the Hive to do…? *waits*

in other ords, don’t start none, wont be none. Yall just cant let other artists be great without bringing up their contemporaries to compare. Case and point, its total unnecessary to bring up Beyoncé when the post is supposedly supposed to be praising Jennifer Hudson. Thanks.

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 8:02 am
      danny b says:

11. |
    February 24, 2013 at 11:40 pm
    jason says:

that was scary…im sorry

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 9:33 am

Dead

12. |
    February 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm
    Cream says:

Is it a Bird a plane ? No it’s that b**** head.

13. |
    February 25, 2013 at 12:30 am
    My Forehead Tho says:

Damn, and her Superbowl performance actually gave me hope too…

J.Hud is proof that just because you have a powerful voice don’t mean you can sing.

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

Cryn chile lolol!!

14. |
    February 25, 2013 at 12:41 am
    antertain says:

Sass, power and attitude is what this song requires.
    Jennifer DELIVERED it all.

Can’t half step nor hold back with a song like this.
    It’s not made for basic singing.

Of course there’s loudness and drama but there is also tuning and vocal ability that this particular song REALLY is supposed to have.

Shrieky in a few spots but she SERVED!!

15. |
    February 25, 2013 at 12:48 am
    Gilberto says:

Dreamgirls is a classic movie. CLASSIC! Oscar has praised it several times. It’s good to see Beyoncé is part of a legendary movie, not on a f****** flop board game movie.

16. |
    February 25, 2013 at 1:02 am
    Bitchplease says:

She did ok!I guess it must true babies really do make you lose an octave.Her Keyshia Cole and Alicia Keys had so much pain power and raspiness behind their voices when they first came out ? What happened Now they sound like their screaming?

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

Fantasia didnt loose an octive…it anything she GAINED one. (looks at Fanny singin Dont PlaybThat Song on Soul Train Honors and smks a blunt chile)

17. |
    February 25, 2013 at 1:12 am
    Teacher says:

LOOL at Dreamgirls being a classic! JHuds performance was classic which is why she won that Oscar! That one flaw in the cast is why it’s NOT a classic!

18. Vote

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test once more right here regularly. I’m reasonably sure I’ll be informed plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the following!

19. |
    February 25, 2013 at 3:14 am
    danny b says:

As an African American im proud of Jennifer and her talent… but i’d be lying if I said I loved this performance.

Honey, control & emotion is what you need to ask Santa for Christmas. It’s gonna take more than just power to truly be a GREAT vocalist. When I see Jennifer sing, I get that she’s a powerhouse, but that’s all i get. I always feel like she’s just singing to sing and blowing belts just cuz she can. I never feel connected to her performances nor am I impressed by her big notes. See: Whitney, Toni, & Celine for reference.

20. |
    February 25, 2013 at 5:24 am
    MISHKA says:

She did an amazing job as expected but all I could thing about is the Obama Inauguration Meme… “I’ve lost 80 lbs and I still have to be Effie” lol

21. |
    February 25, 2013 at 5:54 am
    DON says:

The cast of Les Miserables slayed that stage to ashes that night. Plus, bringing out Beyoncé almost losing her career to Jennifer Hudson in some era that never existed is just pure irony since ONE was part in an Oscar nominated movie and one was somewhere in a B-movie about a sinking navy, miscasted for not being one of the aliens. BYE.

• |
      February 25, 2013 at 5:56 am
      CIARAFAN says:

LMAO! true that

22. |
    February 25, 2013 at 7:17 am
    JOHNVIDAL says:

Well Jennifer Hudson screams and is loud but for this particular type of song it really works, so I can´t hate. In fact I prefered watching her than Adele. Adele wasn´t good at all (and she is a better singer-songwriter-musician and deserved the oscar for best song so don´t judge me)
    I adore Les Miserables. That is a spectacular film and this lipped performance from the cast was great. These oscars and 2012 has been the best year for movies in a while. Any of the movies winning would have been great except for Lincoln. Hope 2013 is as good

23. |
    February 25, 2013 at 7:34 am
    shayshay says:

Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson are two different performers with two different styles and each have theeir flaws.I love both of their voices. But in this performance I only see Jennifer Hudson and therfore this comment will be about her performance alone. I though she did very well! I agree with Perez that sometimes she uses her power when she shouldn’t, but here she did her thang!

24. |
    February 25, 2013 at 8:09 am
    Mother Mariah says:

You’ve seen one hollering ass Jennifer Hudson performance, you’ve seen them all.

25. |
    February 25, 2013 at 10:49 am
    Lovebird (Beyonce's Weave) says:

Love Jennifer but she’s not touching Beyoncé with her live vocals and grammy collection. And I hate Beyoncé. Grammy=oscars of music and people will deal.

26. |
    February 25, 2013 at 11:10 am
    mob says:

Wow, John Travolta looks well!

OMG Zeta Jones sounds horrible dear leave the singing to the singers!Paging Queen latifa who also stared in Chicago!

Jennifer Hudson SANG that song. She is one of the few who can remake a song and actually put her stamp on it! They could have allowed her to sing the entire song however so boo to the Oscars for that…Yeah on the dress!!

Hugh Jackman – the only man at the Oscar’s that wore facial hair that looked dashing- sounds HORRIBLE along with Anne Hathaway. OMG Anne Hathaway looks HORRIBLE as well. Her features are far to strong for short hair and the dress she wore on the Red Carpet just looked…..damn WTF was her stylist thinking AWFUL?

27. |
    February 25, 2013 at 11:25 am
    Epson says:

She needs a new stylist first of all.
    She needs new material to fit her style and voice.
    In this industry if you’re not half naked with your legs wide open, licking your tongue, and dancing like a stripper, being as sexually suggestive as possible, lip-syncing, gyrating as if your life depended on it, calling yourself private when you’re really not, and your entire career based off of drama you create you got nothing going on for yourself. Ask Kanye, his rant this weekend was hilarious.

28. |
    February 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    POP ROYALTY ( RUDE BOY) says:

a lot of screaming and s*** , sorry it was horrible and i needed some ear plugs , i don’t care how many oscars she has , that was a mess in my opinion.

29. |
    February 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    NYC-Queen says:

Excellent performance. This is what this song is all about. She made it look so effortless. I preferred watching her over Adele. I wish some of you young sissies would do your research before you type this stupid mess. Overall the musical performances seemed better than the Grammys.

30. |
    April 3, 2013 at 11:27 am
    create memes on beinglol says:

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve take into accout your stuff previous to and you’re simply extremely excellent. I actually like what you’ve obtained here, really like what you are stating and the way in which through which you are saying it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a great web site.