Watch: Sevyn Streeter Sings Aaliyah’s ‘Come Over’

Singer-songwriter Sevyn Streeter is burning up clubs and Urban radio alike with her debut solo single ‘I Like It’.  The first from a host of R&B bangers the former Richgirl is crafting for her yet-titled solo LP, the tune has been winning her a host of new fans since its unveiling a few months ago.

Undoubtedly hoping to keep such buzz afloat, the soaring songstress has taken to her Youtube to share acoustic covers of some of her favorite songs.  As today’s entry sees Miss Streeter take to task Aaliyah‘s ‘I Care 4 U’ reared radio hit ‘Come Over’, tuck in below to tell us if she did it justice:

We like it (no punt intended)! Impressive to say the least.  Fans have long known of Streeter’s pipes, but it helps – when surrounded by an abundance of fluff – to reaffirm one’s ability.  Of course, some will say that Streeter’s powerful performance, with its melismatic modifications, detract from the softness of the original as Aaliyah’s signature falsetto coo did give the song a character that is hard to replicate.

Be that as it may, Streeter definitely put her stamp on this Tank-penned number!  We look for more from her as we are sure with her beauty and dance skills in tow, she has many brighter days.

Click here to read our interview with Sevyn Streeter!

This Week's Top Commentators

Top Commentators

• Be the first to comment.

1. May 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    kingbreezy says:

she is very good at what she does …she def a new artist to look up to

• May 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm
      JOSEMURPHY says:

• May 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm
        b****** Well be corrected says:

Calm down bird brain everyone that visit this site isn’t from America or speak accurate English. Fyi it’s based out the UK

2. May 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    Dee says:

Its the thought that counts. When Aaliyah sang it, she was gently asking to come over. This girl was begging for the D. Still, cute. R.I.P Aaliyah. Youre missed.

• May 10, 2013 at 11:10 pm
      Nick says:

Dead! Lol

• May 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm
        Teflon Boy says:

Loooooool that’s so true, when singers beat a song into submission instead of caressing, it can really change the song’s intent. ^Sevyn can sing though, just not a good fit for that song.

3. May 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    Petewentzlover21 says:

Not bad for a cover I wish she would of had back up singers to do it more justice but all in all not bad

4. May 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    Wes says:

Wooooow she killed it!!!!

5. May 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    rihking (godfather) says:

Beautiful angelic voice just like aaliyah had

6. May 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    David says:

I like but it’s Changing Faces song….just a FYI.

• May 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm
      D says:

I hope they realize that they were the original makers of the song…

7. May 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    Navy NIck says:

DEE HAD ME ROLLING !!! yes for begging 4 the D!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, she can DEF sing, this was cute, I hate comparing, BUT Aaliyah’s version was sooo PERFECT! BUT THIS GIRL CAN DEG SANG!!!!

8. May 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm
    Sterling Infinity Lovers Music says:

Lol Dee wtf?! She has a good voice

9. May 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm
    LA LA says:

Sevyn Streeter, you did a great job! I can see huge successful future in her.

There is nobody in the music world that will replace what that young lady did to my Heart & Soul. Aaliyah you’ll forever be missed! Aaliyah in her young career did so much than a lot of girls during her career. She left us with great, timeless music (With the help of her best friends that still carry on her legacy; Missy & Timbaland) and also she left us with 2 movies that showed how much she was talented and gifted. Sadly, She didn’t get the chance to grow and evolve like Beyonce did with her artistry but I feel if Aaliyah was here, I think Beyonce & Aaliyah would be taking over the charts together.

She inspired so many like: Keshia Chante (Who is going to play her in her pending biopic movie), Beyonce, Ciara, Cassie, Drake, J. Cole, Keke Palmer and many more.

10. May 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    Glenn says:

Another FYI, Aaliyah recorded the song before Changing Faces did 1999, but she didn’t use it for her 3rd album. So Brian Michael Cox gave it to them, that’s the true story.

11. May 10, 2013 at 8:18 pm
    Mark111 says:

She did a great job. I like how she kelpt it soft and smooth in the beginning. I really miss Aaliyah’s voice, it was so rich and smooth. This girl is the closest thing to that type of voice. I was wondering could she sing LIVe, well now I know.

12. May 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    Back 2 J says:

I still remember Sevyn from TG4. Ambee did a good job on the cover, but ‘Come Over’ is NOT Aaliyah’s song originally it comes from R&B duo Changing Faces. As they said it’s their song, Aaliyah did the demo for it but Changing Faces bought the rights to the song though, but when Aaliyah passed away they got her unreleased music and ‘Come Over’ was one of the tracks that they cleaned up & added it on her greatest album.

And if you don’t know who Changing Faces are then go YouTube their music ‘Stroke You Up, The Other Woman, Ladies Man, I Got Somebody Else, Ghettout & Foolin Around’.

And while you at it, go listen to their new single ‘Hate Love’ that just got released!

I love Changing Faces & Aaliyah versions though. But Omarion & The Dream didn’t do well singing her song ‘One in a Million’ though, but Ambee did good on this one.

• May 11, 2013 at 12:36 am
      LA LA says:

And Keshia Chante did justice to that song “One In A Million” too.

13. May 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    STR8FACTS says:

Beautiful. She also penned a beautiful letter to Aaliyah as well, you guys should check that out.

It always amazes me how ‘Come Over’ , ‘Miss You’ , and ‘I Care 4 U’ weren’t released as singles for the third album but were put on her posthumous album and were all hits. Makes me wonder what else they have unreleased that could be a potential banger, and by unreleased I mean completely done, maybe just not mastered not unfinished.

Anyway, R.I.P. Babygirl
    We Miss You something terrible down here.

14. May 10, 2013 at 11:33 pm
    Dev says:

She can sing but i hear nothing unique about her voice that givers her a standout from some other artists and you tube singers, i have the same feeling about Melanie Fiona and a few others where when you hear a song of theirs you have to question who the artist is, but there are some singers that you just know. When i hear Brandy, Fantasia, Jazmine Sullivan or even Aaliyah, Amerie who were not powerhouse singers but had distinct voices and singing styles, darn even Rihanna….

• May 11, 2013 at 9:08 am
      Nippy says:

Aalyiah voice can’t be compared to fantasia them hunty have a seat Aaliyah has a very soft tone at times you can’t hear her (rock the boat) her voice was cute most times and she really improved on “The one I gave my heart to” but please no don’t go overboard

15. May 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    King B>Rihanna says:

she did that

16. May 11, 2013 at 5:24 am
    serasa says:

I feel that is definitely probably the most substantial facts for me personally. That i’m happy examining your current report. Nevertheless desire to remark with some basic points, The internet site style is good, the actual content is within point of fact awesome : Deborah. Perfectly exercise, kind regards

17. May 11, 2013 at 9:05 am
    Nippy says:

Aaliyah Never had HUGE Pipes she has a very soft tone I’m not saying she can’t sing but people can exaggerate when it comes to her just because she died R.I.P I saw her last live performance it was GREAT but the vocals weren’t great! But anyway good job sevyn

• May 11, 2013 at 9:39 am
      Mark111 says:

I just love when the haters has to run to an Aaliyah post and say she wasn’t all that, she couldn’t sing, she big now because she’s dead. Get a life, if we the fans think that Aaliyah had the best voice, then we have the right to have that opinion. She’s a R&B legend, something these other girls will never be. So unless it’s Beyoncé, someone that worked hard to get where she’s at, shut up. Ya too late, you can’t change history, Aaliyah already made a name for herself in the 7 years she was here.

18. Vote

[…] single ‘It Won’t Stop‘ for The Warner Sound, showcasing vocals that have already honoured Aaliyah  and ‘isms’ that have her being billed a mix of Beyonce, Ciara and the ‘I Care […]