To Our Readers

Jojo: ‘I Don’t Own My Voice’

jojjo andre video Jojo:  I Dont Own My Voice

Along with the success of VH1’s top-rated biographical film ‘CrazySexyCool:  The TLC Story’ has come much analysis and debate about artist rights, contracts, and the like.  A story not uncommon in the industry, but never any less striking when such a narrative reaches the media.

Ask ‘Baby It’s You’ beauty Jojo.

The songstress has long been vocal about her situation with label Blackground Records – a situation that has seen her take to outlets (i.e. social media, interviews, etc.) to voice disdain for the label and her contract there.

But, even after years of protest, a recent quote from the ‘Demonstrate’ diva may just be the most damning yet.  It’s not even 10 seconds long, but it packs the most powerful punch:

Jojo was on hand to premiere the new independent film ‘G.B.F.’ (Gay Best Friend),  of which she stars as Soledad.  When quizzed by our friends at MaximoTV about her newest musical offerings, she had this to say:

The statement follows reports that surfaced in spring 2013 of the singer’s lawsuit filing for release from label Blackground Records.  Meanwhile, the blue-eyed-soul darling is still pressing forward with work on the music and acting front.

Here’s hoping the ill fated album that was blocked from release will see the light of day.  Songs like ‘Demonstrate’, ‘Andre’, and many like them deserve better treatment.

400px G.B.F. Official Film Poster Jojo:  I Dont Own My Voice

1. November 20, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    Sha The Art Of DRAGGINGGGGGG says:

Well DAMN……

2. November 20, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    Touché says:

I felt so bad for her when I found out about this. She had a natural gift but never got to see all the success that it could bring. It makes absolutely no sense why someone like her should struggle while vocal lessers are successful.

3. November 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    Unbiased says:

I feel so bad this happened to Jojo, she is truly talented. One day, she will get those shackles off her feet. This industry is something else.

4. November 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    The Boy Toy says:

Sad, but her fans moved on to Ariana Grande and Tori Kelly. Her best bet is to go straight R&B….

• November 21, 2013 at 5:17 pm
      I never comment but... says:

Nope. Not true at all. As a 10 year Tori Kelly fan, who found her through JoJo (back in the myspace days)… I can say this — JoJo fans LOVE Tori because JoJo LOVES and SUPPORTS Tori’s career.

Tori was introduced to JoJo when Tori was being pursued by Blackground or Geffin Recs. YEARS AGO when Tori was 12-13.

JoJo has stated multiple times how impressed she is by TK and often attends her live performances.

True JoJo fans and True Tori fans love both!

Ariana is another story. I love all 3 personally, but I’ve been a JoJo/TK STAN since i was 11. I love Ariana too, but I’d trade JoJo’s career for Ariana’s ANY DAY. As far as I’m concerned If I had to choose between another JoJo album or another Ariana album, I’d go JoJo!

• December 4, 2013 at 8:44 am
        Lo says:

i will never buy an ariana grande album, EVER. but i have EVERYTHING jojo has ever released.

5. November 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    iconic cici says:

Like Rihanna fans moved on to Miley sis?

6. November 20, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    Nicole O. says:

It breaks my heart that her label is holding her back from truly reaching her potential .

Talent like hers should not be wasted .

Jojo deserves to be successful . I wish her the best .

#FREEJOJO !

7. November 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    The Boy Toy says:

@FLOPCONIC CICI aka my #1 fan

Let’s see how much Bangerz has sold on Nov 20, 2014. Oh yeah and that tour gross. I’m waiting for that also. Next!

8. November 20, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    Theman says:

Jojo is the best pure vocalist of the little
    ladies.. She is incredibly talented.. Her fans are still with her.. She just
    Needs a new team/label behind her..

9. November 20, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    Hivy says:

I can’t wait until jojo comes back slay your vocally inadequate favs( see Ciara). I still think she has a chance because she will be seen as a new ARTIST to most people.

10. November 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    ENOUGH ONIKA (KMART QUEEN) says:

When will these girl learn to READ THEIR CONTRACTS!!!! Nowadays, someone like JoJo I don’t think should even CONSIDER a major deal and go independent and just sign a distribution deal with a reputable company. Start a Kickstarter for marketing expenses such as videos and touring so YOU have the choice of YOUR career path. Major’s are for folks like Rihanna or Gaga who need all the smoke and mirrors they can get to get a following, Jojo’s voice alone can get her a decent following and paycheck(S)…

11. November 20, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    Bey Fan says:

thats sad…. smh

12. November 20, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    HOWYOULIKEIT says:

How f***** can the music industry be?

13. November 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    GAGARULES says:

IT’S NOT LIKE SHE SOLD MILLIONS OF RECORDS, SO WHY ARE THEY HOLDING ON TO HER SO TIGHT?

14. November 20, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    JoJo's Voice Owner says:

her real fans haven’t moved on; just losers who pose as her fans- like yourself…

15. November 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm
    Nayyy says:

The music industry can be very evil in this is one them, it’s sad that this is happening to her and it’s happening to plenty of others as we speak, I can’t wait to see her shine again.

16. November 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    cocobutta says:

Glasses need to be on for this:

MY GOD!!
    The day she is free this bish has a STORY TO TELL!!!!

I want her to get VH1 coins or E! coins, or some relevant networks coins and make that money..

Mixtape called Trapped with follow up called Untrapped (Lord knows she has that much UNRELEASED material)

Follow that up with an album called A Story of Freedom, which can have a theme of being free from the Label, bad relationships as well as just being more free now she’s an adult living her life as a woman living and learning by doing what the F she wants.

GOOD LUCK JOJO

17. November 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    Nicki Minaj says:

Like Rihanna

18. November 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm
    - says:

Not me

19. November 20, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    The Boy Toy says:

Who said I was a Jojo fan though? Have several.

20. November 20, 2013 at 9:13 pm
    Sean says:

All I know, is whenever she is free to release music, it’s going to be one hell of an album. I can’t imagine the frustration she’s going through. Hate to say it, but pain and frustration make for the best albums….Jagged Little Pill anyone?

21. November 20, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    Sisqo is a Legend says:

THIS IS WHY THE NAVY HAS TO DRAG B*TCHES!! YALL ALWAYS WANT TO MAKE EVERYTHING ABOUT RIHANNA

22. November 21, 2013 at 12:26 am
    MuzikLuv says:

Why would Blackground do this??
    Clearly they don’t want to lose her but the money is not good there so SET HER BLOODY FREE..

No album, no video’s, just do the right thing and stop letting her talent rot.

FCUK BLACKGROUND for that.
    Making damn Pebbles look like a saint, cus at least her act was allowed to flourish to make coins (That she tapped well into with those Chanel bags kmt)

23. November 21, 2013 at 1:35 am
    Beysussss says:

Aw poor jojo … I really like her music

24. November 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    Dev says:

This is a VH1 story right there! Blackground seem to be doing a “if we cant have you, no one will”

25. November 23, 2013 at 8:53 am
    Brad says:

She’s Sold 8 Million Records

26. Vote

[…] singer R.Kelly and the underhanded tactics he reportedly used to keep ‘Andre’ singer JoJo at the ailing […]