Major: JoJo Signs With Atlantic Records

Major: JoJo Signs With Atlantic Records

JoJo is back!

Following an exhaustive legal wrangle with former label Blackground, the powerhouse singer has not not only succeeded in severing ties with the controversial imprint, she has already inked a new deal at Atlantic Records.

Details after the jump…

The revelation came courtesy of the LA Times, who confirmed that the singer finalised her new deal in December.

The move, which follows on from a tireless #FreeJoJo campaign from the singer’s online fans, comes after the 23-year-old spent much of last year battling for freedom in a  New York State Supreme Court.

According to the suit she filed, it was argued that her former label had essentially been holding her hostage for the better part of seven years; and that they refused release her third album despite delivery and acceptance of recordings. Worse still, it was posited that the label neglected to pay producers and “other vendors” she collaborated with.

The core of the suit, however, centered on the fact that because her deal with the label was signed when she was a minor, laws in both New York and California stipulated that she could not be bound to the contract after a period of seven years.

While details on the final ruling seemingly remain sealed, one thing is clear…JoJo is a free (young) woman!

Reps for the star confirm that she is presently working on her third studio album.

**********

That Grape Juice couldn’t be more ecstatic for JoJo. Throughout the drama, she has remained both fearless and consistent – serving up mixtapes of album quality and performances today’s top stars could only dream to give.

How amazing is it that she’ll finally be able to soar to the heights deserved. More power to her!

• January 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm
    Rosie says:

Atlantic is a pretty crappy label and I was hoping she would end up on Interscope or Columbia, maybe even Capitol.
    But literally ANYTHING is better than Blackground, so congrats!

• January 14, 2014 at 7:40 pm
    KIIII says:

YASS! I’m happy for Jojo.

• January 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm
    eric says:

I’m ready for you JoJo! This is your year!!

• January 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm
    JOJOISBACKINTHEGAME says:

YESSSSSSSSSS! JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED! I’M GLAD THIS IS ALL OVER. YOU CAN’T HOLD BACK SUCH AN AMAZING TALENT LIKE HERS. NOT THROWING SHADE, BUT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF ARTIST WITH NO TALENT OUT RIGHT NOW, THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS POSITION, RATHER THAN JOJO, JUST TO SAVE US THE TORTURE!!

• January 14, 2014 at 7:48 pm
    the real xoxo says:

cant wait for my b**** to slay 2014!
    her mixtapes s*** on most recent female albums

• January 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm
    Lovebird says:

Lmao Jojo gurl you should have signed with Sony, Interscope or even RCA; Atlantic is a FLOP label.

Only Bruno Mars is successful on that label, and he’s not really with them.

You won’t get the promo you deserve on an Atlantic, they are about as bad as Universal Republic.

• January 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm
    Justin says:

I am happy she signed with Atlantic. She will be a big fish and a small pond there. Hopefully this work out

• January 14, 2014 at 7:54 pm
    Hivy says:

MY QUEEEN IS FREEE!!! THE JOJO REGIN IS COMING!!!

• January 14, 2014 at 8:11 pm
    cocobutta says:

#JoJoFREE

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

With all those S’s and IN THAT ORDER!!
    Glad she is just allowed to release properly.

• January 14, 2014 at 8:15 pm
    2bad2bme says:

OMG I’M SOOO EXCITED…JOJO DO YOUR THANG MAMMA

• January 14, 2014 at 8:27 pm
    kurtis-Lee says:

Yeeesssss finally i have been waiting for the day, so happy for jojo, cant wait for a new album

• January 14, 2014 at 8:29 pm
    Grande the Way says:

Sigh, Atlantic is a terrible label though. Other than Bruno Mars, who do they have? Hell, even Republic Records has been better off. But anything is better to where she was at. I’ll never understand the point in labels trapping artists like this, especially the talented ones.

• January 14, 2014 at 8:34 pm
    Touché says:

Finally. I hope it works out for her.

• January 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm
    DanielT says:

f***** YES JoJo!! Time for b**** to slay!! Shame it’s only Atlantic but at least it’s not Blackground. Considering the shitty position they left her in I think she’s done quite well to get signed with Atlantic. It may have long passed the point where JoJo could’ve ruled the charts but I still love her and I’m still ready to PAY for her music rather than gettin a free mixtape. Just a shame Andre never got a true chance to shine :/

• January 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm
    Daniel Teflon says:

YESS JOJO U BETTER SLAY YA VOCALZ HAVE ALWAYS SERVED & I’M ready for you to hit me What A HEEEEEE!!

• January 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm
    YONCE AKA BEYONSLAY says:

UGH CAN SHE RELEASED DEMONSTRATE NOW? OR IS THAT PROPERTY OF BLACKGROUND LOL. THAT SONG WOULD’VE SLAYED

• January 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm
    NT says:

OH i’ve loved JoJo since her first album , i hope that Atlantic Radio has the money to spend on her to make her happen again she really has an amazing voice , and can fit into todays music market

• January 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm
    MC!!!!!! says:

yay!!! jojo “get out LEAVE right now!”

• January 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm
    Rihyeezy says:

b****, WHO?

• January 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm
    Skyfall says:

I’m so happy, true the only really popping artist at Atlantic is Bruno
    But I mean hey anything better the blackground records. She won’t recieve
    Massive promo or a vevo, but what I can say about Atlantic is that they allow total
    Freedom with their artist to be and do whatever they want.

• January 14, 2014 at 9:43 pm
    TheHive says:

I Can’t wait!!!!!!!

• January 14, 2014 at 9:47 pm
    ENOUGH ONIKA (NEW & IMPROVED) says:

HERE FOR THIS!!!!!

• January 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm
    ENOUGH ONIKA (NEW & IMPROVED) says:

@RIHYEZZY your name alone explains all the reasons for your many issues..

• January 14, 2014 at 9:50 pm
    Sarah says:

Yes! I have been waiting for so long for this news! I couldn’t love & support Jo anymore than I do to this day. I love ‘Demonstrate’ but, I think it may be too old, but I’m just happy she finally gets to release new music!!

• January 14, 2014 at 9:57 pm
    pastordnxzv says:

Black Men Dating White Women,White men Seeking Black Women on
    —————- BlackMenDatingWhiteWomen.o/r/g————. Thousands of Black Men, Black Women, White Men and White Women Free Join Here Everyday.Here a 100% safe, serious and real community for black & white single seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more. The site has established 12+ years. Millions of singles have joined it.xcbxcbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

• January 14, 2014 at 10:16 pm
    Rihyeezy says:

Rih Grammy count>
    Yeezy Grammy count>

• January 14, 2014 at 10:38 pm
    Del Bey says:

YASSSS BETCH YASSS, finally freeeee, if done right she could be so successful, I still love The High Rd album

• January 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm
    Realest says:

Jojo sings her face off, finally a young starlet coming with vocals and quality!!

• January 14, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    FutureCIARA says:

Ratchet ass record labels man!!!!

Thank God shes free… Now time to deliver 7years worth of slaaaaaaayage to us JoJo.

• January 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm
    JER says:

I feel bad for her. While others slept on their own albums and sat on they fat asses and didn’t feel like promoting, poor Jojo literally couldn’t do anything.

• January 15, 2014 at 2:05 am
    Back 2 J says:

Why Atlantic? No…Wasn’t Lil Kim signed to Atlantic & didn’t she complained that she wasn’t free to express herself & release the music she wanted that’s why she left & started her own label & is independent artist now. Major labels sucks they control the artist too much, but independent artist have more freedom to do what they want to do the only downside is that the artist to do all the promotion themselves because indie labels do not promote the artist like a major label does.

• January 15, 2014 at 2:15 am
    NICKI IS QUEEN THE REST OF YOU ARE PEASANTS says:

YASS CAN’T WAIT!

• January 15, 2014 at 2:26 am
    Emmie says:

YESSS!! So Happy!! This made my day !!

• January 15, 2014 at 2:49 am
    Bey Fan says:

Yessssssssssssssss!!!!!!

• January 15, 2014 at 3:12 am
    MuzikLuv says:

Thank God for that.
    The suffocation was too much

• January 15, 2014 at 7:53 am
    Beyond Amazing (Cause Bey really is!) says:

I am ready, ready ready. This girl can blooow. You hear me, blow must of these so called singers out of the park out right now.

• January 15, 2014 at 8:13 am
    Absolved says:

Atlantic is NOT a crappy label. LOL@the alternative choices people were throwing out instead. RCA, Universal, Sony, please. No established act wants to sign with an overpopulated label where they’re just a number waiting to be called, and chances are won’t get the attention of their dominate acts of the moment. At Atlantic, she can be a priority and will probably be allowed more freedom to do things her own way. Plus Blackground was a Universal imprint. I’m sure she wasn’t interested in staying under that whole corporate umbrella. She made a wise choice.

• January 15, 2014 at 8:17 am
    Absolved says:

Oh, and hopefully her new music won’t be silly pop/EDM and instead will be more urban/melisma-based. Was never a Jojo fan, but she’s one of the very, very few of her generation that doesn’t make me wretch with bad singing and cheesy music.

• January 15, 2014 at 8:20 am
    CARMEN says:

YAAAAAAAAAAASS!! finally! time to slay again JoJo!

• January 15, 2014 at 8:48 am
    Lolax says:

Go jojo cant wait for her new material she is amazing

• January 15, 2014 at 11:31 am
    TC!!! says:

Atlantic good for her I wish brandy would’ve stayed with Atlantic and I think missy is with them the only person thats cuurently on there is Bruno jojo will do fine! because defjam Columbia capitol and interscope all have big beast under their belt and not even worried about New artist

• January 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm
    MusicStan( Ya'll know who I stan for) says:

I’m glad she left them… Blackground records hasn’t been the since Aaliyah’s death and once static( songwirter for Aaliyah) passed away they really went down…. I can’t wait to hear new music from her… i THINK SHE IS PRETTY DOPE,

• January 15, 2014 at 1:01 pm
    MusicStan( Ya'll know who I stan for) says:

and for those who don’t know yeah bruno is winning over there but are janelle monae,seyvn streeter, tank, tgt, trey songz, and k.michelle

• January 15, 2014 at 1:19 pm
    I love vocal slayers says:

Wonderful! Jojo is a REAL vocalist and I’m looking forward to some great music. She has 7 years worth of pent up frustration that she needs to let out.

• January 15, 2014 at 2:06 pm
    ROSEGOLD says:

Great news for her! I know this has got to be the best week of her life.

• January 16, 2014 at 10:49 am
    B4REAL02 says:

Finally!!! Come wit it Jojo!!!

[…] brought with it the announcement the star’s army of fans had been patiently awaiting – her contract with previous label […]

[…] anticipated, the LP will serve as the star’s first since winning her release from previous label and signing with new home Atlantic […]