To Our Readers

Weigh In: How Does Shakira & Rihanna’s New Tune Stack Up Against Other Famous Diva Duets?

Screen shot 2014 01 13 at 4.31.16 PM Weigh In:  How Does Shakira & Rihannas New Tune Stack Up Against Other Famous Diva Duets?

Indeed, after 2013’s close saw former foes Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera joined forces for ‘Do What U Want’, music lovers kick their new year off getting cozy with ‘Can’t Remember To Forget You’ – the dynamo diva duet of Grammy-winning songstresses Shakira & Rihanna.

Launching what we hope is a year of diva double teams, the song inks its name aboard a long list of memorable collabos from the ladies of pop & R&B – collectively putting to rest rumors that women don’t work well together in the industry.  And, while the net (and we at TGJ) are still making up our minds on Shakira and Ri’s latest offering,  we can’t help but reflect on the ‘best of’ diva duets to see how the Roc Nation duo stack up.

Compiling a list of our favorite estrogen-tinged tag teams, tuck in below to see who made our tally and tell us your thoughts:

TGJ’s Favorite Diva Duets (in no particular order)

Whitney Houston & Cece Winans – ‘Count On Me’

Brandy & Monica – ‘The Boy Is Mine’

Beyonce & Lady Gaga – ‘Video Phone (remix)’

Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey – ‘When You Believe’

Lady Gaga & Christina Aguilera – ‘Do What U Want’

Karen Clark Sheard & Dorinda Clark Cole – ‘He Knows’

Beyonce & Lady Gaga – ‘Telephone’

bfede663f072518c9ed51ddb5f6891d9 Weigh In:  How Does Shakira & Rihannas New Tune Stack Up Against Other Famous Diva Duets?

Jennifer Hudson & Fantasia – ‘I’m His Only Woman’

Mary J. Blige/Faith Evans – ‘Love Don’t Live Here Anymore’

Beyonce & Shakira – ‘Beautiful Liar’

Keyshia Cole/Monica – ‘Trust’

Celine Dion & Barbra Streisand – ‘Tell Him’

1. January 13, 2014 at 6:16 pm
    Caitlyn says:

the boy is mine slays them all >>>>

2. January 13, 2014 at 6:31 pm
    Molly says:

Whitney >>>>>>> Pigriah

Put in a love song >>>>>>> Telephone

Do what you want > Can’t remember to buy you

3. January 13, 2014 at 6:33 pm
    Molly says:

i want a Ciara and Jlo collaboration

4. January 13, 2014 at 6:36 pm
    JoJo says:

That would flop twice as fast

5. January 13, 2014 at 6:38 pm
    JOHNVIDAL says:

Well Shakira and Rihanna´s duet is crap compared to many of these other duets!
    If we don´t go back in time “Do What You Want” new version slays it effortlessly, from the vocals to everything else. Basically cos the original created by Gaga is so damn good (my fav single released in 2013).

If we talk about true greats… LMAO well Celine+Barbra! Whitney+Mariah Just WOW Especially Tell Him is absolutely stunning, those voices, those first seconds with Celine alone… hair raising. The rest can´t compete with that. They are maybe cute, but that´s it.

6. January 13, 2014 at 6:42 pm
    Marley says:

Beautiful liar>>>>>>>>>> Can’t remember garbage.

7. January 13, 2014 at 6:46 pm
    Skyfall says:

Molly

When will your fav

8. January 13, 2014 at 6:48 pm
    Molly says:

@Jojo honestly could care less about chart position they would make a dope song plus an epic dance video. f*** outta here h** .

9. January 13, 2014 at 6:50 pm
    Skyfall says:

Out of all thee songs mud favs in order

When you Believe
    Count on Me
    Tell Him
    Beautiful Liar
    Do What U Want
    Can’t Forget To Remember You

10. January 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm
    Molly says:

One of her rare decent performances… Ciara slays stages sweetie.

11. January 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm
    La Pera says:

Y’all reaching….

12. January 13, 2014 at 6:54 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Lol Molly is so pressed these days.

Honestly, beautiful Liar >>>> CRTFY

That beautiful Liar video slayed. That song is everything.

Actually , when You believe is on of my least favourite dogs in Mariah’s discography. It’s just not my type of tune.

13. January 13, 2014 at 6:54 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Least favourite song**

14. January 13, 2014 at 6:55 pm
    Stephy Tha Lambily says:

Oopps Before I leave…

Count On Me >>>>>

Count On Jesus, Threw Thick & Thin

A Relationship, That Will Never End

When You Are Weak, Jesus Will Be Strong

Helping Our Sinful Selves, To Carry On

Call On Jesus In Your Prayes, Dont EVER be affraid

Please Believe me, When I say

COUNT ON THE LORD & SAVIOR JEHOVAH GOD & HIS ONLY SON JESUS CHRIST !!!!

& I mean every word I wrote. We are nothing without God!!!

Bye!

15. January 13, 2014 at 6:59 pm
    TinaMinaj says:

The fact is this was going to be about Beautiful Liar vs This trash i can’t wait to forget. But everyone knows which is the better song of the 2, so throw in some legends and a has been in the mix to stir the pot some more.

16. January 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm
    Del Bey says:

SLAYRIAH calling people pressed OK OK LOL you are the most sour person on this site you fool, and the song is s***! The legacy of Beautiful Liar will go unharmed.

17. January 13, 2014 at 7:02 pm
    RoyalKev says:

I don’t like Rih’s duet AT ALL, so it comes in near the bottom. Her best one was with Breezy, Cake,Cake,Cake … Yea, that one!

Best 3 of all time:

#1 Brandy & Monica
    This was a mutha f**king duet! Everything about the song was just >>>>>.

#2 Whitney & Mariah (The Voice meets the songbird). This was as diva as it gets!

#3 Beyonce & Shakira That video was slaying lives! They look like twins taking over the world!

Most of the others were just pretty mediocre tbh.
    It wasn’t a duet, but the Lady Marmalade (Christina, Pink,Mya & Lil Kim) was also noteworthy.

18. January 13, 2014 at 7:04 pm
    Del Bey says:

do any mariah stans on here like her song ‘close my eyes’ from the butterfly era, such a beautiful amazing song, I just wanted to see if any other mc stans agreed?

19. January 13, 2014 at 7:06 pm
    Tyler says:

Beautiful Liar and The Boy Is Mine

20. January 13, 2014 at 7:07 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Closed my eyes is a beautiful song. I also love beautiful ones, Whenever You Call, and oustside.

21. January 13, 2014 at 7:09 pm
    Navy nick says:

BOY IS MINE: hands down best of all time…, period!!!

22. January 13, 2014 at 7:10 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Did you know that the lambs got close my Eyes to #1 in Hungary a few months ago? Lol, the lambs are so powerful. A song that want even released as a single from an album that’s almost 20 years. Lol #Lambchops

23. January 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm
    Dearest One says:

its so funny everyone hollering about beautiful liar, I cannot honestly remember the hook or anything about that song.

Can’t remember is already #11 on itunes

24. January 13, 2014 at 7:13 pm
    Lovebird says:

To be honest;

The Boy is mine >>>>>>>

25. January 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm
    Dearest One says:

It was Beyonce jumping on the bandwagon of that at the time hot singer, hips don’t lie Shakira and sucking the life from her, like she did with lady gaga.

Rihanna is bringing her back, guess she and Gaga will need to duet as every since her duet with Beyonce too, things just haven’t been the same.

I like Can’t remember to Forget, especially “kisses in the moonlight”

26. January 13, 2014 at 7:15 pm
    Skyfall says:

Whenever you call is my favorite Mariah Carey song from Butterfly, I usually like songs
    From her albums even more than the singles, like my favorite songs from her debut are
    Sent From Up Above, Alone In Love, and Vanishing. I say her debut was her best album
    I loved every song don’t have to skip a track

27. January 13, 2014 at 7:17 pm
    Nick says:

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!

28. January 13, 2014 at 7:20 pm
    TinaMinaj says:

1. The boy is mine
    2. Same Script, Different Cast
    3. Beautiful Liar

29. January 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Beyonce kinda looked like Wendy Williams in the beautiful Liar video though. I don’t if it was because she was working over time to keep up with Shakira. The song was still great though.

30. January 13, 2014 at 7:30 pm
    MERE B says:

Y’all need to post some Tinashe on this site. She just came out with her new single. I bet y’all are going to be talking about her very soon. #KeepIgnoring

31. January 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm
    Krista says:

I wonder why Put It In A Love Song video never got released. Although I remember when Bey came out at Alicia’s concert in Madison Square Gardens and completely stole the show. And she was holding back :/

32. January 13, 2014 at 7:43 pm
    Del Bey says:

If you wasn’t so shady Slayriah we probably could get along well and discuss Mimi’s discography but you love to drag my fav, and if anyone looks like Wendy Williams it’s probably Mariah with her current figure, no shade though I love mariah. Close My Eyes, Butterfly, Anytime You Need A Friend, My All, Petals are all classics. Please Lambily, I’m a member of the Hive and I havn’t a bad thing to say about mariah so please try be less shady to bey, My stanship goes: Bey/Lana/ Mariah

33. January 13, 2014 at 7:46 pm
    FutureCIARA says:

Im still waiting for Janet (The Legend) Jackson to get off her high ass horse, and do an appropriate duet with Ciara!!!!!!

But this Skakira and Rihanna song doesn’t compare to any of the others listed.

JHud & Beyonce need to slaay us with an iconic duet, It would give very Mariah and Whitney ish….

34. January 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm
    FutureCIARA says:

@Del Bey

Well why dont you add Cannon or Carey to your name

35. January 13, 2014 at 7:49 pm
    Bey-Minaj says:

Ummm why wasn’t Beyonce and Shakira Beautiful Liar included in the poll?

36. January 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm
    FutureCIARA says:

Whatever happened to TELEPHONE PT.2 ??????

And Monica & Brandy need to leave duets alone after TBIM, We all remember what happened with 2012’s It All Belongs To Me (Although I liked the song) It majorly underperformed!!!!

37. January 13, 2014 at 7:53 pm
    anonymous says:

I think all of those duets are better than Rihanna and Shakira’s. My top 3 favorites:

#1 Brandy and Monica The Boy is Mine
    #2 Mariah and Whitney When You Believe
    #3 Alicia and Beyonce Put it in a love song

38. January 13, 2014 at 8:00 pm
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Okay… Well you’re officially dismissed. You can’t claim to be a Mariah fan if you’re going to say she looks like Wendy Williams and mock her body shape. Stay with the hive and Lana Stans. The lambily don’t want you. & my all is my favourite Mariah song . Seriously the most beautiful ballad ever. Anytime you need a friend slays too. Everything Fades away from music box. Forever. Lead the Way. Endless love. Live all those songs .

39. January 13, 2014 at 8:00 pm
    number1k9 says:

Its boring and forgettable from a 1st listen. And I am a huge Rihanna fan.

40. January 13, 2014 at 8:03 pm
    BEYONCÉ says:

TBIM >>>>

The rest I don’t really care about including Beautiful Liar

41. January 13, 2014 at 8:03 pm
    Britney stan says:

Beautiful liar was average to me telephone slayed it tbh and this Rihanna and Shakira song is pretty basic like Beyonces vocabulary.

42. January 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm
    Britney stan says:

Rihanna S&M remix slayed aswell Rihanna wouldn’t of got her 10th number 1 if it wasn’t for Britney. Not really a fan of SMS and of course me against the music slayed them all tbh.

43. January 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm
    BEYONCÉ says:

NOT a Braindeadney stan trying to throw shade….

44. January 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm
    Britney stan says:

Hey fraudyonce boo!

45. January 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm
    Skyfall says:

Slayriah

Yes, love Everything Fades Away. Melt Away is another one of my favs

46. January 13, 2014 at 8:27 pm
    NICKI IS QUEEN THE REST OF YOU ARE PEASANTS says:

telephone and do what you want with Christina snatched your wigs for sure

47. January 13, 2014 at 9:11 pm
    Mark111 says:

Funny how Rihanna struck this conversation with her feat and not Gaga and eXtina.

48. January 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm
    Reese says:

Damn! “Can’t remember to buy you” lmfaooooo

49. January 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm
    Metzo says:

“Can’t remember to forget you” is the worst duet everr. Beautiful liar >>>>>>>>
    #1 Brandy and Monica The Boy is Mine
    #2 Mariah and Whitney When You Believe
    #3 Beyonce Shakira – beautiful liar (The video tho dammn)

50. January 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm
    JeezedUp says:

Lemme put my d*** in your mouth XD

51. January 13, 2014 at 9:48 pm
    JeezedUp says:

@REESE

52. January 14, 2014 at 12:06 am
    quetta says:

Can’t wait to forget is pure s***. They could have kept that mess.

53. January 14, 2014 at 12:07 am
    Theman says:

“When You Believe” >>>> Impact Alone !!!! It is huge !!!!

54. January 14, 2014 at 12:11 am
    Theman says:

MC ALSO LOOKS GREAT, SHE IS CURVY & NOWHERE NEAR WENDY WILLIAMS, LOOKSWISE.. ANOTHER ARTIST IS CLOSER LOL & THIS SITE SWEARS BY HER !!!!

55. January 14, 2014 at 1:17 am
    Dev says:

Brandy & Monica – The Boy is Mine
    Alexandra Burke & Beyonce – Listen

56. January 14, 2014 at 1:30 am
    realtalk says:

Yes, I think we will get this duet sooner than most think. This will be the best collaboration ever when it finally get to be, JHud has learn self vocal control and Beyoncé already perfection in vocal control. Also can’t wait for the right song/duet Beyoncé/Luke James

57. January 14, 2014 at 2:08 am
    Sass says:

Lol @ ‘mc is curvy’ I have seen curvier bricks!

58. January 14, 2014 at 2:30 am
    Alyssa says:

Britney Spears & Madonna’s is a true pop legend.
    No one could erase this historic achievement.
    #fact

59. January 14, 2014 at 3:57 am
    ZIGGY STARDUST says:

While I love the new joint by Shakira and Rihanna and the joint by Shakira and Beyonce, I will have to say that, “The Boy Is Mine” is at the top for me. That song is a classic.

60. January 14, 2014 at 5:05 am
    Suicide Blonde says:

Honestly i hate duets between women, the boy is mine’ is overrated as f***, Whitney and Mariah’s duet is also f****** overrated, I’m yet to be impressed or mind blowing by any of these women together, that being said, I think a duet between Kylie and Madonna would be an orgasm to my ears but even that could turn out to be a disappointed.

61. January 14, 2014 at 6:45 am
    Anti-Garbage Singing Voices says:

……..
    It DOESN’T,SHAKIRA ft RIHANNA is PURE TRASH GARBAGE. It is one of the worst collaboration ever. That song is pure trash. How can you or anyone like that childish lyrical weak song?

That sh!t song doesn’t deserve a place between those others on that list, it’s just like putting dog sh!t between clean white clothes.

And where is Shakira ft Beyonce “beautiful liar” was #1 in many countries.

62. January 14, 2014 at 7:00 am
    Anti-Garbage Singing Voices says:

If you know what good music is, if you know what good lyrical music is, THAN YOU KNOW THAT SHAKIRA FT RIHANNA IS PURE TRASH, it doesn’t belong in that list, it doesn’t deserve a place in that list.

Only a Shakira or Rihanna fan that doesn’t care about real good lyrical strong music, and cares only about Shakira or Rihanna bum body will buy that TRASH.

Shakira ft Rihanna is a waist of your TIME,EAR. PURE TRASH.

I will never download that trash not even if it was for free.

63. January 14, 2014 at 7:02 am
    Anti-Garbage Singing Voices says:

“Can’t remember to forget you” is the worst duet everr

And I totally agree with you. It’s pure trash.

64. January 14, 2014 at 7:10 am
    Anti-Garbage Singing Voices says:

SHAKIRA FT BEYONCE IS 1000TIMES BETTA THAN SHAKIRA FT RIHANNA .

How can you or anyone even listening to Shakira ft Rihanna more than 1 or 2 times. I can’t even believe that THAT lyrical weak childish song that is make by 2 grow ups is for real, still think that’s a joke. Pure trash garbage etc.

65. January 14, 2014 at 7:16 am
    Anti-Garbage Singing Voices says:

???? I see Beyonce ft Shakira video but I don’t see their name it in the list.

66. January 14, 2014 at 9:07 am
    Bey Fan says:

#1 Monica and Brandy …. TBIM
    #2 Whitney and Mariah
    #3 Beyonce and Mary J….

Rihanna and Shakira need fire azz video. Im sure the video will push their song to the top. But vocally, lyrically, and production wise…it doesn’t begin to compare to some of the other duets.

67. January 14, 2014 at 9:13 am
    MusicStan( Ya'll know who I stan for) says:

My fave duets are all of them except the Lady gaga and christina and sharika and rih duet ( which I think it is pretty new to be in a poll) the “do what you want” remix I Should said come have been better if the lyrical content change from the original…. future duets that I would love to hear would be ciara and janet jackson, beyonce and brandy or melanie fiona or luke james, maraiah and leona lewis would be hot, ciara and trey songz or omarion or miguel, miguel and trey songz, kelly rowland and brandy, mary j blige and anita baker, and many more my other fave that wasn’t it the polls lauryn hill and mary j blige off the miseducation album ( #10) fantasia and j-hud, alicia keys and jimmy cozier, beyonce and luther vandeross,aaliyah and ginuwine and etc

68. January 14, 2014 at 11:10 am
    WINTZ says:

LOOOOOL! Honestly though, I’ve been trying to remember the hook of that Bey and Shakira song. All i remember is that its called “Beautiful Liar” and its ONLY because her TGJ employees keep churning that butter.

The “Telephone” song with her and Gaga had MUCH more HYPE… but even that was blocked by Rihanna’s “Rude Boy”. kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

This Rih/Shakira song came out like yesterday and is already like #11 on US itunes and #1 in 32 countries.

Your attempt to overshadow the success of this duet is so futile its laughable. *Sips sorrel*

69. January 14, 2014 at 11:34 am
    The Boy Toy says:

“count on me” was my 5th grade graduation song! Lmao! Whitney and CeCe DID that! TBIM is my favorite female duet of all time, with Count on me in a close second lol

70. January 14, 2014 at 11:37 am
    Adele says:

I love MONICA
    Boy Is Mine …Hands Down

71. January 14, 2014 at 11:38 am
    ASBEENISH says:

@beyonce not a fraudyonce stan throwing shade. :(

72. January 14, 2014 at 12:24 pm
    Lolz says:

Beautiful Liar is a better song than Can’t remember to forget you.

73. January 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm
    Navy Commander says:

I don’t like ICRTFU that much , I brought it but rarely listen to it. I like Rih’s part more than shakiras tbh. I just can’t deal with shakiras voice.

74. January 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm
    FormerlyFromTokyo says:

‘The Boy is Mine’ is the best, imo, and I’m not even a fan of Brandy or Monica.