‘Cheek To Cheek’: ‘Vanity Fair’ Compares Lady GaGa To Christina Aguilera

lady-gaga-and-christina-aguilera-that-grape-juice-2014-100

In 2010, she was accused of launching a Emily Thorne-sized assault on Christina Aguilera‘s career.

In 2013, the pair buried their supposed beef to support her critically acclaimed single ‘Do What U Want‘, and this year- one year after the release of her #1 album ‘ARTPOP‘, Lady GaGa has seen her vocal stylings compared to Aguilera‘s in a review of her latest album ‘Cheek to Cheek.’

Why ‘Vanity Fair‘ feel GaGa fans have Aguilera to thank for the singer’s big and brassy sound on the project?

Find out after the jump!

On ‘Cheek’, ‘Vanity’ shared:

Can she sing jazz-pop standards? Yes, quite well, though here and there she seems to be on uncertain footing—not unexpectedly, perhaps. On the swingier numbers, she tends to go big, brassing it up and belting out words as if she were Christina Aguilera trying to channel Shirley Bassey. At other times, her vocal approach verges on camp—a wink here, a hint of melodrama there. Not that I think she’s condescending to the material (the way David Bowie has in similar circumstances); it’s more, I imagine, that she’s finding her way into the music.

Do you agree?

Sponsored

1. October 4, 2014 at 11:10 am
    Marley says:
    +13

I agree. There was something contrived about her vocals on that album. She did a great job though. I commend her for seeing the light and choosing quality over commercial.

• October 4, 2014 at 12:56 pm
      FAF says:

Well the reason she did jazz was to keep herself out there while assuring a hit album with a legends fanbase so technically it’s all contrived tbh

• October 5, 2014 at 8:26 am
      eciumanliya says:

.Are you still single ? You are not alone. JOIN FIND Black Men Dating White Women, Black Women White men dating on==
      ♥ BlackMenDatingWhiteW omen . o r g ♥ == Thousands of Black Men, Black Women, White Men and White Women Free Join Here Everyday. This common interest will help make dating easier, more effective, and more successful. Have a try. You are not alone.xcbxcb

2. October 4, 2014 at 11:11 am
    Rima says:
    +19
    -16

I think both are very underrated as vocalist. IMO both have more soulful voices then Beyonce and Rihana.. Bey to me could never sell a ballad or jazz record like Gaga and Xtina can… I wanna see rihanna record a album like cheek to cheek or bey do a back to basic album they wouldn’t do it justice sorry

• October 4, 2014 at 11:14 am
      Marley says:

Don’t underestimate Beyonce

• October 4, 2014 at 11:16 am
        NOLIES says:

Trust, he didn’t hun.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:17 am
        Rima says:

I’m sorry Beyonce has no soul in her voice its basic and bland to me

• October 4, 2014 at 11:18 am
        Marley says:

And how would you know? Have you seen her live?

• October 4, 2014 at 11:19 am
        Marley says:

@Rima. That’s your personal opinion. Don’t say ‘she could never’ like its fact. Gagas voice is bland to me, but I give credit where due.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:20 am
        NOLIES says:

I have never seen Patti Labelle in person except once, but I still can hear the soul and passion in her YouTube videos EVERY TIME she sings, so sit.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:25 am
        Marley says:

@Nolies. Lmfao ‘I have never seen Patti Labelle in person except once’
        In other words, you HAVE lol. Bye.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:22 am
      Yeah I Said It says:

Why must people like you bring Beyonce and Rihanna into everything? Are they the standard of comparison or something? And then you will complain when their fans swarm every post please have seat!

• October 4, 2014 at 11:34 am
      Sass says:

Beyonce has sold more ballads than Gaga though, and her ballads are always being covered. So I don’t know what hell you are talking about.

• October 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm
        FAF says:

^what does that have to do with what he said, though?

You’re talking about sales not vocals

• October 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm
        Sass says:

@faf did you read the comment or not before you responded. ‘Bey could never sell a ballad’ is clearly part of his comment.

• October 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm
        Faf says:

I think he meant figuratively “sell” as in make it believable

Beyonce does her songs well

However i don’t like to hear her cover songs

That back to black remake was horrible

• October 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm
        Sass says:

@Faf. Well its all subjective. There was no need for him to bring Beyonce and Rihanna into it in the first place.

• October 6, 2014 at 5:31 am
      XYZ says:

beyonce is an amazing singer, but as others here aleady said – she has no Soul or emotions in it… I really could not see Beyonce a song like “hurt” or “I’m Okay” justice. But I couldn’t see Gaga doing it either. Somehow their ballads never touch me. You don’t Need to have a big voice to transmit emotions. For example Janet or Madonna, both do not have big voices, but their ballads are amazing and very emotional

3. October 4, 2014 at 11:13 am
    2 girls 1 cup says:
    +18

I have always said this and I don’t care all you haters don’t agree but gaga owes her career to christina Aguilera and gwen stefan, while I do feel christina came off as bitter and mean whe she said “she didn’t know whoe she was and she didn’t know if she was a man or a woman” that was uncalled for on Her part but with that being said Gaga is still talented she doesn’t have a christina aguilera voice but she’s good, and Christina didn’t deserved all the bashing that she for with Her “bionic” era one of the most underrated albums.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:17 am
      NOLIES says:

Gaga owes her career to Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Björk, Gwen Stefani, that girl that used to be her friend right before she became famous, and amazing gimmicks (in the beginning), not Xtina.

• October 4, 2014 at 10:45 pm
        dotti says:

gaga def owes part of her success to christina. when gaga was swagger snatching, christina was one of the many.

• October 5, 2014 at 6:58 am
      AmbeRussell says:

When christina aguilera said she didn’t know who lady gaga was, that was fall of 2008. MOST ppl did not know who gaga was. I did, but she didnt get that. #1 from just dance until January 2009. And many ppl still thought gaga was a man or had men parts.

4. October 4, 2014 at 11:14 am
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:
    -30

Gaga >>>>>>> Christina

• October 4, 2014 at 11:15 am
      NOLIES says:

Please don’t come back. No one wants you here.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:16 am
        Rima says:

Seriously

• October 4, 2014 at 11:16 am
      Rima says:

Both them vocally slay Mariah so shut up

• October 4, 2014 at 11:19 am
        NOLIES says:

Not really. Xtina live sounds like that Vision of Love live clip TGJ used and Gaga sings out of her range too much and rely on heavy back tracks, so it’s about even.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:19 am
        SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

Funny since Mariah is a major vocal influence on both. But okay… 🙂 <3

• October 6, 2014 at 5:38 am
        XYZ says:

she was. no one denies that mariah has been a vocal force. but thats it. she can’t sing to save her life these days, just watch the footage from her tour start. and please don’t come with “she had a bad day” – she has a bad day since 2008. I love me some Mimi and I even bought all her records (incl. chanteuse) but I wouldn’t pay s*** to see her fail live…

• October 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm
      Del Bey says:

kiiii

• October 4, 2014 at 1:22 pm
      JOHNVIDAL says:

I agree. Gaga is a better artist. And has done an impressive job on Cheek to Cheek album.
      But Xtina has her own thing, even though she has always struggled to sing properly. I agree with the people saying that at least she has more soul than Beyonce and Rihanna.

5. October 4, 2014 at 11:15 am
    NOLIES says:

Lol petty. Xtina and Gaga fans have squashed the beef, and here they go rehashing it. This should be an interesting thread & comment section.

6. October 4, 2014 at 11:20 am

• October 4, 2014 at 1:50 pm
        Beysus says:

Um… It’s not…

7. October 4, 2014 at 11:26 am
    Slay_Hive says:

@rima

What ballad has GAGS sold?? kii Beyonce’s voice has no limits. She has included jazz in many of her performances. Her vocals in her platinum album 4 were great and that albumv wasn’t commercial in anyway. Bey could definitely sale a Jazz album, if she wanted to do do.

Rihanna would struggled going way out of her comfort zone. Top 40 is what Rih is concerned with., and Gags voice is not that great to me. Christina is better and has more range.

• October 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm
      Del Bey says:

Yasss

• October 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm
      JOHNVIDAL says:

Beyonce´s voice has no limits?? LOL Ok then, why does she need to growl to show power? Why does it lack soul? In conclusion, why does it become so clear that she doesn´t have it in her to sing ballads like that when she tributed Whitney with IWALY? It´s obvious man. She´s a very good singer, especially technically, but it ends there. Xtina is a mess, especially her belting, now more than before, but before it was too. But at least her voice is way more special.

• October 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm
        Slay_Hive says:

“She´s a very good singer, especially technically, but it ends there”

So basically you agree that she is a vocalist? lol Beyonce’s version of IWALY was great. Her technique and control was flawless, Beyonce has one of the most unique voices of this generation.

From the growling, to the “lack” of soul is subjective. That is her style of singing, and millions love it.

• October 5, 2014 at 6:25 am
        JOHNVIDAL says:

Hmm ok so you pretty much agree with me then LOL Beyonce is a very good singer, but her voice has limits and she is nowhere near Whitney Houston´s category 🙂 Have a nice day.

8. October 4, 2014 at 11:28 am
    Yeah I Said It says:

I don’t like either of their voices Both overstrain and harsh on the ear.

9. October 4, 2014 at 11:34 am
    SLAYRIAH CAREY (TOUR DE FORCE) says:

“Definitely sale a Jazz album”

I believe you meant SELL*

*exits*

• October 4, 2014 at 11:38 am
      Slay_Hive says:

Just as long as your corny ass got the point. Which I’m sure you did! 😉

• October 4, 2014 at 12:29 pm
      Del Bey says:

kiiii at you returning after you said you was done here *exits

10. October 4, 2014 at 11:36 am
    Sass says:

Palm tree moment.

• October 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm
      RICHIE_RICH says:

Always under one…….Yasss I live

11. October 4, 2014 at 11:44 am
    Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Honestly, my only problem with X-Tina is… The overdone riffs & runs. Other than that she pretty good to me. She is definitely one of the best singers of her generation. I just never could get into her MUSIC. She is kinda like Celine Dion. GREAT voice (besides the over-singing) but weak catalog of music.

• October 4, 2014 at 1:05 pm
      2 girls 1 cup says:

This is the only time I seen you put something positive and not biased about xtina but I do have to disagree with her having a weak catalog she may not have as many hits but many of her song are memorable and shows her versatility as an artist none of her album sound the same and that’s something that not everyone can do whether it works or not that girl takes a lot of risk in music and some have hurt Her career but she truly is an Amazing artist you can’t take that away from her but I respect your opinion sis.

• October 6, 2014 at 5:43 am
      XYZ says:

the only part that is weak in her catalague is Lotus (except your Body and just a fool). everything else is great, with bionic being underrated as hell

12. October 4, 2014 at 11:56 am
    NICKI IS QUEEN says:
    -17

Gaga slays xtina live now

13. October 4, 2014 at 12:10 pm
    BeautifulDisaster89 says:

I love both christina and gaga but I feel like gaga is underrated vocally. I honestly don’t care for christina aguilera’s live performances because she tends to oversing A LOT lol all i know is I still want an album from gaga that is similar to her fame/fame monster lps and christina aguilera give me some more stripped/bionic this go around. lol

14. October 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm
    The Boy Toy says:
    +12

You can tell Gag is influenced by Xtina vocally. Just listen to DWYW. Nothing is signature or stands out about Gagas vocals, no shade.

15. October 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm
    Del Bey says:
    +12

gaga is a has been, atleast Christina didn’t fizzle out after 4 years

16. October 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:
    +11

Lady Gaga has been influenced vocally by almost every artist at some point in her career, there are songs in which she sounds exactly like other female singers, on the positive side is a good thing, because it shows her versatility as a singer, on the negative side, her vocals or singing style can be considered forced/unoriginal or faked. I’m pretty sure she hasn’t found neither her own singing style nor her image. I have realized that she is very dependent of the work of others, that what other people do, inspires her to do the same things, the problem is that she doesn’t add anything new or an important change to that, she does it like it is, she only puts her name to it and bring it to a new generation of teenagers who are uneducated about whatever subject/argument she is obsessed at the moment. Christina Aguilera is an amazing artist, her discography is one of the most versatile among her generation, “Back to Basics” is a work of art, both vocal and lyrically, she may have lost her commercial touch but her place in Pop Culture is more than secure.

• October 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm
      2 girls 1 cup says:

Yassssss! Preach it sis! I couldn’t have said it better.

• October 4, 2014 at 1:31 pm
      JOHNVIDAL says:

Back to Basics wasn´t that great as an album. I think you are overstimating it. The oversinging was too much too (but still great and her best along her Stripped).

• October 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

I think is funny how you always complain about Xtina “oversinging” but praises Gaga which is the epitome of that.

• October 5, 2014 at 6:12 am
        JOHNVIDAL says:

Please! Nothing alike. Xtina is in another level of oversinging and sounding a mess while belting, and not now, but always, since her debut. She has many other good things though.

• October 4, 2014 at 2:32 pm
      Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Madonna >>> Elvis Presley.

• October 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

How you dare?, The King >>>>> that woman, Elvis was/is the best thing to happen to music.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:08 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

LMAO!!!!

Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, Little Richard (The Original F****), James Brown & Fred Astaire ALL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elvis BLACK MAN Presley.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:12 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

Who are those guys?, do they have any impact in music?. The King >>>>> those guys.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:17 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Hell even Liberace >>>>> Elvis BLACK MAN Presley. Also, you know EXACTLY who those men are!!!

James Brown had no impact in music??? I CANNOT!

• October 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Elvis Presley was a black man in a white mans body.

The way he walked, talked, sung, danced & carried himself was very negro-ish…

• October 4, 2014 at 3:22 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

Liberace, i can’t.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

The King was a white man with soul, white latinos have swag too, because of their culture, Elvis had soul.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Mozart & Beethoven >>>>>> Elvis Presley

• October 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Nah,, his “soul” was different. Very negro-ish. I will continue my research on him. I’m sure he spent a few nights drowning his white magic stick inside black sweet…. chile. Also, he was raised around blacks. He was “white trash”,…. Oh yes, my research on him is very good. he has 92 GOLD records also. Mostly are OVER-SHIPPED too. Some records sales are lost also. He DID NOT sell 1 Billion records. He also, had SHADY managers that was very similar too MJ’s blood suckers.

Madonna >>>> elvis & Mj imo

• October 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm
        Suicide Blonde says:

You will burn in hell for that.

• October 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm
        Stephon Maurice Jackson says:

Hell does NOT exists boo

• October 5, 2014 at 8:06 am
        let's be real says:

its funny h** y’all praise that culture thief.elvis was yesterday’s iggy azelea tbh

17. October 4, 2014 at 1:22 pm
    1000 forms of Cake like Lady GaGa (Cheek to Cheek is #1) says:

Why is the ratchet H.IV+ bringing t********* up?? The tranny could NEVER sell a Jazz album and that’s why the fleas are pressed!!!… And the Xtina comparisons, they are both talented and I love both of them, but SLAYdy GODga > Xtina.

• October 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm
      Jessica says:

Umm how do you know she could never?

• October 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm
      Slay_Hive says:

Is gags flopping that bad, that you are so delusional to think that the Beyhive is pressed over a dated 100k selling jazz album?? kiii

I’m sure that won’t reach platinum either. Hell, I doubt if it sees gold.. kii

• October 4, 2014 at 2:13 pm
      Slay_Hive says:

That thing is so mad that Bey is winning this era and is trying to take his anger out on the Beyhive. Your anger and jealousy is not gonna help ARTshit reach platinum 😀 😀 😀

18. October 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm
    JOHNVIDAL says:

I still don´t see the similarity between the two, if anything in “Do what you want” but that´s it.
    About what´s important: Cheek to Cheek is really growing on me, I´m pretty impressed. I knew Gaga could sing Jazz but just that, didn´t care for her first duet with Tony 2 or 3 years ago when he released that collabo album and didn´t care much for their first single for this one. But since I watched Gaga´s performance of Bang Bang the other day… she won me with that. It was very very good, a true singer. I might buy the album this week.

19. October 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm
    Jessica says:

Gaga sounds like shes trying to immitate Christina.

20. October 4, 2014 at 2:02 pm
    1000 forms of Cake like Lady GaGa (Cheek to Cheek is #1) says:

LOL at my impact.. One comment from me has gotten the H.IV+ fagggs pressed for the gods. And its true, T********* will NEVER sell a jazz album. GODga > T*********

• October 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm
      Jessica says:

But you’re always defictaing your comment to the Hive. I would say they have more impact on you.

• October 4, 2014 at 2:09 pm
        Jessica says:

Dedicating

21. October 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm
    Jessica says:

Lady Gagas voice is very limited. It sounds like shes trying to immitate Christina. And you’re making out this album is doing massive numbers, it sold 100k and Im sure it will be downhill from there. Shes leeching off the maturer generation to keep her name out there after the fail that was Artpop.

22. October 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm
    Slay_Hive says:

23. October 4, 2014 at 2:15 pm
    Slay_Hive says:

That thing is so mad that Bey is winning this era and is trying to take his anger out on the Beyhive. Your anger and jealousy is not gonna help ARTshit reach platinum! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• October 4, 2014 at 2:28 pm
      Sass says:

The obsession is creepy. All it’s comments are about the Hive above the actual topic at hand. I cannot at the pressed obsession!

24. October 4, 2014 at 2:19 pm
    1000 forms of Cake like Lady GaGa (Cheek to Cheek is #1) says:

Not at it posting the same comment twice, get off your windows 95 pc and get a smartphone. Ghetto mess

25. October 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm
    RICHIE_RICH says:

Who is gaga? I know who Christina Aguilera is, but not Gaga. Is Gaga some type of animal or something? Under palm tree having a real cute COCKtail!!!!!!!!

26. October 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm
    Mark111 says:

But Gaga can’t sell a jazz album nor her LAST album. Cheap Too Cheap won’t sell passed 400K. Talking as if jazz is this special genre, no one is here for thise songs that been sung 1000s of times.

27. October 4, 2014 at 3:47 pm
    Revolution says:

I saw no lies.

28. October 4, 2014 at 3:50 pm
    Revolution says:

Neither Christina or Gaga come across ‘soulful’ It’s not authentic. I’m sorry but when you hear real soul you know it. And it’s not Christina or Gaga. They TRY to sound soulful, that’s all it is.

• October 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm
      Mark111 says:

It’s forced. Just imitation, throw Adele and Sam Smith big asses in there too.

• October 4, 2014 at 4:14 pm
        Revolution says:

Exactly. Although I do love Sam Smiths voice.

29. October 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm
    Eloviano says:

Death at that picture.

Christina to Trashga: “Don’t worry I’ll buy Flop To Flop.”

30. October 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm
    JFB says:
    +10

Gaga has been channelling Xtina Her ENTIRE career. Xtina starts off pop, Gaga starts off as pop. Xtina goes deeper urban mixed with edge & rock, Gaga follows right behind her. Xtina hits us with Back 2 Basics(a jazz/blues era) & Gaga does the same. It’s quite pathetic. ARTPOP was a Bionic 2.0 and EVERYONE knows it. Xtina gave Gaga the BLUEPRINT. She owes her entire existence to her. As far as VOCALLY, Gags can’t hold a match next to Xtina. AT ALL. Stop with the delusion.

31. October 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm
    let's be real says:

whats sad is a lot of people confuse soul with imitation soul. Christina is a great singer but she also FORCES soul into it. Gaga also forces it but people believe it .Adele? thats her real voice. amy Winehouse? real soul. Beyonce when she wants evokes soul. it’s something you just feel it cant be forced.

• October 4, 2014 at 11:07 pm
      TRUTH SERUM says:

Preach!!! You most certainly spoke the truth!!

• October 5, 2014 at 6:09 am
      JOHNVIDAL says:

Yes except for the last part when you included Beyonce among the ones with soul, Xtina or even Gaga singing Jazz have more (even though I agree neither of them are that real as Amy and Adele).

• October 5, 2014 at 6:26 am
        Barb B**** says:

They don’t have soul singing jazz, they have immitation soul.

32. October 5, 2014 at 6:25 am