New Video: Jhene Aiko – Maniac

Soulful Songbird Ups Her Edgy For Latest Visual From Sophomore LP

Jhene Aiko gets psychotic in the asylum, self-directed visual for single ‘Maniac.’

With the dark sensual single as her backdrop, the ‘Souled Out’ singer is bound, gagged, and restrained before freeing herself and straddling a mannequin. The concept stems from Aiko’s research on the reasons women were admitted into mental institutions in earlier years. The reason: nymphomania, which is a side of the 28-year-old that she wanted to highlight more with this effort.

Peep the visual below…

Elaborating on the clip’s concept, she tells Rolling Stone:

“There are so many layers to my personality. One of them is very sexual, and ‘Maniac’ is me sharing that side of myself.”

Big Sean’s lady also spoke about her recent bipolar diagnosis

“Ironically, I released ‘Maniac’ at a time where I had recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so my interest in the research was genuine. I think we all have some sort of imbalance, but I also believe that we can overcome it. I find my balance through creating art. The ‘Maniac’ visual is the story of a mental patient who finds her own cure.”

What do you think of the vid?

Sponsored

1. January 6, 2017 at 8:16 pm
    Credits says:
    +16

I’m sorry to hear about her diagnosis but the reality is that a lot of artists have a mental illness and it is linked to ‘creativity.’

• January 7, 2017 at 7:24 am
      LISA LEVINE says:

So evidently Big Sean’s Big D_ick, must be driving this girl crazy now she’s going for the S** Goddess vibe, I like her SADE vibe she had going but ok girl

2. January 6, 2017 at 8:54 pm
    Myownstan says:
    -18

Just… no….. Mila is way better jhene makes me want to take a nap

• January 7, 2017 at 12:46 am
      Taylor-Swift-To-Find-A-New-Man (Slayty) says:

Mila sounds like every other girl that came from the Janet Jackson School of How to Be an Urban Artist. Jhene is an artist

• January 7, 2017 at 1:35 am
        Credits says:

A stage performance of jhene sounds like she graduated from the bad boy school with a degree in Cassie vocals. Meh, both these sisters are ok. Jhene’s strength is in her writing ability, while mila has a distinctive tone but generic material.

• January 7, 2017 at 4:12 am
        Jhene Aiko Stan says:

Jhene is not a trained singer, she has admitted this multiple times. She writes, produces, and directs her own material.

• January 7, 2017 at 4:13 am
        Jhene Aiko Stan says:

Despite that, I find her voice very soulful. She may not have a wide natural range but she can sing

• January 7, 2017 at 5:40 am
        Stones-Brie says:

Some b******* making stuff up about Janet.. she’s never been an urban artist.. she became a top popular artist with good material.. don’t lie just to lift your sh*t up. Bye

• January 8, 2017 at 6:52 pm
        LiLi'n'RiRi says:

Listen here h***. Milo J has that Taylor Swift flow as far as her tone/range goes. Jhene has a tone that hits u like a fresh tab of acid. Milo can’t write for s***, basic ass songs. Jhene has dope songs and fresh f****** production. no matter what u wanna say about these two, theres a reason why one is Janet and the other is Letoya, hmm kay *sips koolaid* *dabs on dem h****

3. January 6, 2017 at 9:59 pm
    H0tness says:

To repetitive come again.

4. January 6, 2017 at 11:06 pm
    Kim.Kesha&Pam says:

Jhene is so dope! But this song & visual are a no! Love her tho.

• January 6, 2017 at 11:11 pm
      Trina says:

I LOVE the name you chose ❤️. Total is the S H I T.

• January 7, 2017 at 9:14 am
      SterlingInfinity says:

I like her! I remember her in b2k… God I can’t believe I admitted to playing them but I know a lot of amazing artist who are not bipolar. And a lot of “normal” people who are. I don’t think it’s a horrible thing I just don’t think we should start labeling artist bipolar. Her style and voice is unique. I just found the video to be more creepy than s***. Plus I’m tired of the whole mental institution video wave. It’s been done a lot but I’m rooting for her. Everyone who’s creative deserves to be heard!

5. January 7, 2017 at 12:12 am
    Danzou says:

Yawn

• January 7, 2017 at 12:47 am
      Taylor-Swift-To-Find-A-New-Man (Slayty) says:

Thats how the public reacts to Nicki’s music everytime she releases something without showcasing her cement booty.

• January 7, 2017 at 2:07 pm
        Danzou says:

Billboard says otherwise h**.

6. January 7, 2017 at 12:49 am
    Taylor-Swift-To-Find-A-New-Man (Slayty) says:

Jhene did that. I’m ready for an album from her, it’s been too long. When will these bottoms learn that Jhene doesn’t make music to bop to? We have more than enough artist for that. Jhene makes the type of music you chill and actually listen to, not what you play when you’re about to go out.

7. January 7, 2017 at 1:57 am
    Jhenefan says:

I love Jhene. But I am not a fan of maniac. I prefer her more meaningful music. Her song writing ability is amazing!

8. January 7, 2017 at 4:14 am
    Jhene Aiko Stan says:

I didn’t care for Maniac at first but it’s grown on me. The video helped. Sad to hear about her bi-polar disorder though. Diagnosing is the first step

9. January 7, 2017 at 1:25 pm
    Flykiid says:

Yeah, I’m not feeling maniac too much either but i LOVE Jhene!! I still listen to her first album & her old mix tapes. ‘W.a.y.s’ is my anthem!! ‘Blue dream’ i can listen to over & over.. ‘stranger’ is the story of my life! The girl can write her a*s off!

10. Vote