New Video: Jussie Smollett – ‘F.U.W [F**ked Up World]’

Jussie Smollett is perhaps most notable for his breakout role as Jamal Lyon on FOX‘s soapy drama ‘Empire.’

However, the talented singer finds himself on socially conscious terrain with new release ‘F.U.W.’

An acronym for ‘F**ked Up World,’ the song and its accompanying video sees Smollett reflect on the tense political climate the world is engulfed in.

And while Donald Trump isn’t mentioned explicitly, there are numerous overtones directed his way.

For, Smollett sings:

“Build a wall, it won’t keep us from loving each other. Rewrite the laws… you won’t keep us from loving each other.”

While elsewhere, he belts:

“Why we back in the past? It’s the same script, different cast. All these alternative facts. Catch me outside, how ’bout that?”

The acting singer says the release, which he directed, isn’t a single, but more so a statement.

Check it out below…

Refreshing.

Given the mass appealing nature of his weekly platform, it’d have been easy for Jussie to deliver a banal, by the numbers Pop cut.

But it’s warming to see him have and share a viewpoint on the world we live in.

Pop star political can be grating when overdone, though. So we hope he strikes the right balance between being aware and still having flair.

Sponsored

1. March 17, 2017 at 7:09 am
    Jamie says:
    +14

I won’t listen simply because I’m sick of this catch me outside mess…

• March 18, 2017 at 2:00 am
      Odor says:

He’s not THAT woke.

2. March 17, 2017 at 7:42 am
    Facts4U says:
    +15

I was reading the lyrics then instantly got annoyed when he used the catch me outside line 🙁

3. March 17, 2017 at 8:16 am
    Suicide Blonde is 35 says:

I don’t even care to listen

• March 19, 2017 at 3:29 am
      DonnaB says:

Maybe that is the problem. I wish it had been Messed up world because I don’t want young kids going around singing it with that lyric but the rest of the song ND it’s meaning is pure and loving.

He is a fabulous singer I watch Empire because of his voice ad cookie of course.

This man is taking on loving each other and not going back to black aND white water fountains to Flint water crisis.

People you better wake up. Just ecause it may not effect you now what it grandbaby comes home hungry every day because free breakfast is cut off or your mom or grandma are eating cheap cat food because meals on wheels is shut off.

You daughter has a back alley abortion with filthy equipment and no anesthesia and faintshe on the way back to Harvard Law.

Wake up people the title is a way to get attention the song is beautiful . This is from. 62 year old white lady.

Keep youright nasty reply, I watched a British documentary on the camps in Germany and other places during the war. It is on netfliks. If we are not educated by the past we are doomed to repeat it as I saw those striving bodies being thrown in grave mass grave full of women , children , men families. I watched it and didn’t turn away with voices speaking to me and knowing that is things don’t change and the hate doesn’t stop I could be the next one tossed like trash. Or my best friend who is a young woman from St Lucia who is very dark

My granddaughters could be stripped of all rights of their bodies even their right to say NO!. Wake up it is a Messed up world.

4. March 17, 2017 at 8:41 am
    Steven says:

These artists think we care about their political views… is anyone really taking these opinions seriously? Katy Perry, Snoop, Madonna, Jussie, T.I, etc, need to stick to the music.

• March 17, 2017 at 11:13 am
      Mark111 /.\ says:
      +13

Music will always be a reflection with what’s going on with the times. At the end of the day, artist are PEOPLE and can express themselves as they choose.

5. March 17, 2017 at 8:53 am
    XoMoDe says:

Nope. Not gonna watch or listen.

6. March 17, 2017 at 9:00 am
    Biting Truth says:
    +11

“Catch me outside?” That almost sounds like a threat. LOL
    What’s he gonna do, throw his wig and purse at somebody. JS is a joke. Better hold on to that vile character on that Empire cartoon for as long as possible, because he’ll be lucky to be cast on a reality show after that’s over.

• March 17, 2017 at 3:43 pm
      Starxavi says:

He’s being cast in plenty of things. And if you think the character is vile then that means he’s doing his job correctly. Look forward to seeing him in Alien:Covenant and Marshall this year.

7. March 17, 2017 at 9:07 am
    Enough Already says:
    +12

Sigh. When is someone going to admit that he is not vocally talented?

8. March 17, 2017 at 9:18 am
    DTG says:

Waste of production money. Can’t imagine too many people are gonna be buying that. I know I’m not.

9. March 17, 2017 at 9:30 am
    Avi says:
    +11

When vapids try to get political. He can keep that.

• March 17, 2017 at 10:11 am
      Credits says:

Vapid? Do you know him?

10. March 17, 2017 at 9:59 am
    keepit100 says:
    +10
    -10

The cash me outside reference is so over yalls heads. It’s about that fact that america has praised a white girl for imitating black culture and deemed us ghetto.” it’s the same script, different cast.” hel-fu**ing-lo. Maybe his voice isn’t the best, but do yall get paid to drag people and make negative comments, this is an emotional ballad about the current status of america. not a cookie cutter r&b + pop crossover record stfu

• March 17, 2017 at 10:59 am
      Jamie says:

No it’s not. It’s simple how it came off–a lil reference that’s supposed to be cool. Next

11. March 17, 2017 at 11:17 am
    Mark111 /.\ says:

He’s just not an artist, sorry. The show with all the at one time good songs, now watered down trash, makes him boring and just another episode song. . This show’s success will be his downfall (in music) because the character he “plays” is just HIMself. Making it hard to separate the two because it’s the same person.

12. March 17, 2017 at 11:46 am
    OQRAM says:

Fruitcake thinks he’s Marvin Gaye. ROFL hilarious.

13. March 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm
    DanYiel Iman says:

I listened and it’s the status of a Racially motivated country of people who don’t know weather to love your Celebrity in Chief or hate him, that catch me outside mess is ridiculous but nice song…💯

14. March 17, 2017 at 1:03 pm
    SBC19 says:

Pause.

15. March 17, 2017 at 2:04 pm
    Hehe says:

Empire will be the pinnacle of his career….he needs to enjoy this success and save religiously.

16. March 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm
    Vee says:

the tea is his label didnt feel like he had any material strong enough to release. Thats what took so long.

Dude is a trash singer. He sounds like a yodeling goat.