Let’s be honest, save for contributions from Rita Ora, Labrinth (pictured above) and Emeli Sande, 2012 had very little to say when it came to UK albums.
However, by way of US chart toppers Nicki Minaj & Rihanna, the year saw the nation’s charts lit up by a number of commercially potent imports, which make up the bulk of the Official Charts Company’s ‘Highest Selling 2012 Releases‘ lists.
That Grape Juice was in the house at the 2010 Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball this past weekend. Held at London’s renown O2 Arena, the two-day extravaganza, which was sponsored by Windows 7, saw performances from the likes of the Black Eyed Peas, Nicole Scherzinger, Kylie Minogue, Alexandra Burke, Akon, Jason Derulo, JLS, among others.
Stationed backstage amidst other select media outlets, we caught up with a host of stars – including (yet not limited to):
* Alexandra Burke - who spoke to us about her plans for the US in 2011 and more.
* Jason Derulo – who appeared somewhat defensive about album sales.
* Nicole Scherzinger – who shared details about her forthcoming solo album.
* JLS – who, also, spoke on their American invasion.
* Jay Sean – who responded to critique that he had abandoned his Asian roots musically.
* Akon – who spoke about the controversy surrounding the new Michael Jackson album, whether there is more material to come from his sessions with the King of Pop, and which Destiny’s Child diva he is set to collaborate with.
Many of our UK readers will be familiar with newcomer Labrinth. Having taken the British charts by storm with his production efforts on Tinie Tempah‘s smashes ‘Pass Out’ and ‘Frisky’, the 21 year old East Londoner, real name Timothy McKenzie, is striking out on his own as an artist.
Having captured the attention of a certain Simon Cowell, Labrinth signed to the mogul’s Syco label (over at Sony Music) this summer. In the process the eclectic talent became not only the label’s first non-TV-show signing in six years, but also the first to be signed to a lucrative deal which will see him write, produce, and nurture other talent on the label too. Impressive!
Labrinth released his debut single ‘Let The Sun Shine’ today, which looks set to be a hit. Check out its accompanying video below and let us know what you think: