Weighing the Impact of ‘Watch the Throne’

Rappers Jay-Z and Kanye West‘s latest joint album ‘Watch the Throne’ is, as expected, finding major success on worldwide charts – with the latest reports indicating its reign over 23 charts all over the globe.  With strategic marketing and an unprecedented (of recent times) avoidance of early leaks, the album is on track to be a big seller boasting nearly a half million first week sales.

But, while Jay and the hip-hop community are no strangers to joint albums, MTVNews sought to weigh the impact of this most recent effort with the question:

Will there ever be a pop duet album?

With some of pop and Urban pop’s heaviest hit-makers making some of music’s most recent celebrated duets from both sides of the charts ( Lady Gaga/Beyonce, Britney Spears/Rihanna, Chris Brown/Justin Bieber), the collaboration is one that would be unprecedented in more ways than one.  However, even when reviewing the joint albums of music history altogether, there is a noticeable lack of female (if any) joint albums.  There is no doubting the charts have had their fair share of famed female duets (‘The Boy Is Mine’, ‘When You Believe’, ‘Telephone’, ‘Me Against the Music’, etc).  And, regardless of chart placement, the impacts of each are still being talked about today.  Maybe fantastical and many a stan’s dream come true but…

That Grape Juice wants to take it a step further and ask:

Will there ever be a diva duet album? And, if so, who do you think should do it?

Sponsored

1. August 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

Rappers and singers are very different.Rappers can do a joint album trading verses and giving their own lyrical prospective.But most singers don’t write their own material, so there’s no reason to create a duo just to sing an 8-line verse, 1 chorus and do some adlibs.I don’t see it coming and I wouldn’t say that I need it either.And if it’s as whack and messy as ‘Watch The Throne’ (the throne of overrated arrogant asses, I guess) then I wouldn’t like it to happen.

2. August 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm
    trucie says:

they’re not the best in the game. Kanye is one of few and Jay-Z is all hype. Even more hype when you hear Kanye, which is clearly the better talent, on the same album. Jay is weak. The album was ehhh. Oh well no money lost. it’s still music!

3. August 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm
    MadonnaLover says:

WATCH THE THRONE is s***. I got a chance to listen to a REAL duet hip hop album (Black Star) and I am embarrased this even gets the praise it does. WTT compared to that is a joke.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand, certain pop stars could make a duet album. It would work. It depends on who the pop stars are.

4. August 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm
    Chris J says:

wtf does gaga have on?

5. August 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm
    4FlopStayInYourLaneBiotch says:

There isn’t a need for a pop duet album. Watch The Throne wasn’t even that good so a joint album between two pop singers would be a waste of time. I can’t imagine Britney and Rihanna (although I like her) doing an over the top auto-tuned to death album and I can’t imagine an album where Christina is trying to out-sing and overshadow Adele with every other verse so no.

6. August 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm
    kimberly says:

That would be great to have a pop collab. I would love to hear a gaga and Beyonce collaboration to set the world on fyah! yes I said it. They work well together so no doubt.
    I will never want my favorite to collaborate with a non singing artist and one who cannot take over the stage. Cause king Bey will have to hold back too much in her live performances(vocally and movements)
    That decision is very critical. The wrong move may just cause her to loose her throne.

I CARE..
    btw I would love to see a Britney and katy perry collab.

7. August 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm
    danny b says:

I could see a joint album MAYBE from:

Keyshia Cole / Monica
    Rihanna / Nicki Minaj

…but thats about it. Lol

MAAAAAAAAAAYBE Beyonce & Gaga….. but id kill myself before Id ever wanna see that happen.

8. August 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

Beyonce & Gaga are great together IMO..

but the cattiness of some stans(in general,not talking about any one artist) can be a problem with this.

9. August 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm
    princebarbietv says:

I never thought about this. It would be interesting!
    ** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYM6J1l-1sY **

10. August 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm
    Queen Beyonce Stann says:

My Gravatar Pic 😀

Lol But NO!
    Bey Shouldn’t Do A Pop Album With BRITNEY, LET ALONE GAGA.

11. August 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm
    SHESDUMB AKA THE SLAYER OF KELLYMOTIVATION AKA DANCE says:

AS A JAY Z AND KANYE FAN I HAVE TO SAY I WAS DISSAPOINTED IN THIS ALBUM, THERE WAS A FEW GOOD SONGS BUT OVERALL DIDNT CHANGE MY OPINION OF THE ALBUM. I’LL GIVE IT A C-

BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT THIS CD WILL SLAY EVERYONE’S FAVES SALES FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF DISREGARDING LADY GAGA AND ADELE.

12. August 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm
    Queen Beyonce Stann says:

My Gravatar Pic 😀

Lol But NO!
    Bey Shouldn’t Do A Pop Album With BRITNEY, LET ALONE GAGA.

#KingB2011

13. August 11, 2011 at 7:33 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

by this,I mean a duet album

14. August 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm
    SHESDUMB AKA THE SLAYER OF KELLYMOTIVATION AKA DANCE says:

LOLL WHY WOULD GAGA DO AN ALBUM WITH BEYAWNCE?
    GAGA WOULD DO ALL THE WORK WHILE BEYAWNCE WILL WANT A CO-WRITING CREDIT KNOWING DAM WELL SHE AINT DO S***.

15. August 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm

BEEN THERE
    DONE THAT

B DOESNT CUT HER CHECK ANYMORE

😈

17. August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

I know I’m going to get flack for this/Comments about this being cliche but…

Madonna/Gaga

It MIGHT silence the stan war just a bit..

18. August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm
    4FlopStayInYourLaneBiotch says:

@SHESDUMB Beyonce would Yodel and scream over every song if it meant that the other person would be overlooked lol. Besides she’s flopping/struggling just trying to promote 4 (which is currently collecting dust on a shelf near you) 😉

19. August 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

I have an IDEA !!!!!!!!!
    Britney/Rihanna/Beyonce/Gaga album
    Britney can do 3 songs
    Rihanna can do 2 songs
    Gaga can do 4 songs
    Beyonce can do all of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. August 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm
    The Naked Truth says:

I think after Kim’s 5th Studio Album and Nicki’s 2nd Studio Album a “Watch The Throne” with them two would SMASH the charts!!! I’m so serious.

21. August 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

It’s all about…well…length.A simple 16-bar verse has WAY more lyrics than an entire song!!!So, when 2 rappers get together, each gets their space, but in layman’s terms, there is not enough space for 2 singers in one song.

22. August 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm
    THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED LACEFRONCE. says:

How many copies of 4closure will Jigga buy? The flop album is falling week after week. 🙂

23. August 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm
    MadonnaLover says:

@istan4gaga
    EW~
    kii.

24. August 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm
    MusicFan says:

I’m here for…

Gaga and Beyonce making a joint album.
    Rihanna and Katy making a joint album.
    Britney, Kesha, and Nicki as well.

I think Gaga and Beyonce being the most talented on that list should make it, but not yet, maybe later when they are farther into their careers.

25. August 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm
    MusicFan says:

@IStan4Gaga, agreed.

Madonna and Gaga. @MadonnaLover, if Britney could do it, why not Gaga…?

26. August 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

@Madonnalover 😯

27. August 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm
    Them other chicks are superficial (queenbey) says:

Am I the only one who is disappointed in the ‘Otis’ video???

28. August 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

Let me stop…@Madonnalover why do you think that???(curious)

@Musicfan I also think they should do a video.

29. August 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm
    AMEN FASHION(ON †HE RUNWAY) DRESSED IN HIS BES† (IS†ANN4GAGA) says:

@Queenbey

LINK????

30. August 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm
    KAT DELUNA FAN says:

@QUEENBEY
    WHERE THE VID AT???

31. August 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm
    S*** says:

KING & QUEEN:

Jayz Highest Earning Person in HIP HOP??

Bey sells out in Le4ss than a Minute??

Jay z #1 all over the world?? (& Bey was too)

KING B, Forbes: Most Powerful Black Women in the World?? (Beating OPRAH??)

I know the HATERS & GORILLAS must be mad as hell! lol and all kelly rowland can do is flash her ugly titties. lol

Beyonce isnt IN the industry, she IS the Industry!!

#DEAL WITH IT

LMFAO!, *BLAST LIFT OFF*

32. August 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm
    YEABEY and the lessors don't mix says:

I don’t think BEYONCE will duet again….But there are a few songs I wished she collaborated on

33. August 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm
    KJ says:

I think two female singers together wouldn’t work well. But I Could see a Beyonce/Bruno Mars or Beyonce/Justin Timberlake duet album. I think Gaga tries too hard to stand out to do an entire album with another artist. Maybe a female rapper/female singer album. Britney/Nikki might work.

34. August 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm
    S*** says:

& if Bey EVER did a “pop duet album” other than as DC it WONT be with a BASIC B**** like Lady Caca or Methney, thats for sure.

Candidates for a JOINT Album with bey:

1)Rihanna
    2) MISSY ELLIOT
    3) Mariah 😕
    4) Somebody mentioned Kelly Clarkson, maybe 😕

@ queenbey
    that video was WACK, Like 2 PRE-K kids Clowning. *SAD*
    I can Tell WATCH THE THROWN has Something to do with JayZ Saying: Im Getting old, & passing the torch over to Kanye. 😕

35. August 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm
    RHI RHI IS QUEEN says:

SINCE RHI RHI BRINGS IN THE MOST HIT SONGS I WOULD THINK THAT ALL OF THOSE OTHER LESSER WOULD WANT TO DO A JOINT PROJECT WITH HER.. RHI RHI HAS NEVER HAD AN ALBUM THAT DIDNT BRING NUMBER 1 SINGLES, IT WOULD BE A SMART MOVE ON BEHALF OF THOSE OTHER GIRLS WHO ARE FLOPPING AROUND BILLBOARD

36. August 11, 2011 at 8:46 pm
    Them other chicks are superficial (queenbey) says:

They just showed it on MTV…..

The only thing interesting in the video is the car 🙄

37. August 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm
    Them other chicks are superficial (queenbey) says:

@S***- Agreed.

It had so much potential 😥

38. August 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm
    S*** says:

But realistically Candidates for a JOINT Album with Bey would include:

1) MISSY ELLIOT (Creatively Speaking)
    2) Jayz/Kanye
    3) Rihanna = (WATCH THE THROWN Part II)
    (^^^The oddest choice of the Three but would be Interesting & would sell)

IDK about anyone else,

Justin T/Usher would probably be a FAIL as far as a whole album goes but who knows.

39. August 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm
    Mcbp says:

When i see Britney and Gaga i’m thinking it’s normal but to put someone like Beyonce next to them it’s like stupid… Beyonce ain’t all that since years ago. She’s just ultra popular in the states but her career been falling down since her first album.

She is no Gaga-Britney-Rihanna… Commercial whores like that. She’s not as big.

40. August 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

My idea is
    Britney, Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce should do a album !

41. August 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm
    S*** says:

@ RHI RHI IS QUEEN

RHI RHI HAS ALSO *NEVER* HAD AN ALBUM TO GO NUMBER (oop!) 😉

BUT WITH BEY’S ASSISTANT THEY WOULD SELLING 600+K 1ST WK, RIH RIH WOULD *FINNALLY* GET THAT #1!!.

*BEATS A DC REUNION* -Kanye Shrugs

42. August 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm
    S*** says:

@Mcbp

REALLY??

Bey Shits all Over Britney and Gaga. Bey has accomplished things they wouldnt even DREAM of!! U SeriouS??:

Bey Tops herself in one way or another with Each Album, Shes a WORLD WIDE Legion!!

HOW is her Career Falling when shes becoming more & more of an ICON/LEGION with EACH ERA??

43. August 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

@ S*** IS BEYONCE THE ONLY PERSON U LIKE !!

44. August 11, 2011 at 9:16 pm
    KAT DELUNA FAN says:

MUSIC OF THE SUN HAS 0 #1

@TGJ
    NEXT POST PLEASE

45. August 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm
    Kisses says:

Jay-Z is overrated.

Pop duet album? No.

46. August 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

@ Kat Deluna You face has zero number ones !!

47. August 11, 2011 at 9:21 pm
    pop royalty (spelling fail) says:

the duets i want to witness before i die :

1- BEYONCE AND MADONNA <—– my dream !
    2-BEYONCE AND RIHANNA <—- possible , why not ?!
    3- GAGA AND BRITNEY <—– will smash
    4- RIHANNA AND CHRIS BROWN ! <—– they did it before but i want another one
    5- GAGA AND RIHANNA ! will be so cool !

48. August 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm
    VA STAND UP!! says:

Hmmm….this is a very interesting post TGJ. Ya’ll be coming up with some good topics at times random…but good. Really makes you think.

It took me a minute to really listen to “Watch The Throne’ and now that I have, I can say that I REALLY like it! It really is a good album that lived up to the hype! I think a MAJORITY of the reason it got so much attention was because of who they are, but it did deliver. ‘Murder to Excellence’, ‘Made In America’, ‘Why I Love’, ‘New Day’, ‘N***** in Paris’, the lyrical content is on point! They are actually rapping about something rather than just a bunch of party records bragging about how much money they have! The production on the album is incredible! I no longer think it is doing well just cause it’s Jay & Kanye, it really is a dope album and I think years down the road it will be considered a ‘classic’ rap album. I’m sure it will get plenty of Grammy nominations as well.

That being said, the main reason why it worked cause these two are rappers. Big name rappers working together is nothing new. It’s one thing for two big names singers (regardless or genre) to do a single collaboration but an entire album would be a stretch for most of the artist. They may be able to bring the magic for one song, but to make an entire album

I think we can all agree that the Rihanna/Britney colllaboration was s*** and was obviously just done to push the song to No. 1. All Britney did was sing (horribly) the second verse. and nothing else was different about the song. An album with the two of them screaching…HELL NO!

As much as I love Breezy, I don’t even consider the collaboration with him & Bieber to be anything great. I do like the song a lot but I perfer CB’s solo version of ‘Next 2 You’, JB could have been left off IMO. CB & JB appear to be good friends who like working together and I am sure they will again in the future but I am not here for an entire album from the two of them. Not at all!

The collabs that Bey & Lady Gaga did were both S*** IMO. I was very disaapointed with both records they did so I for damn sure don’t want to see them record a whole album. They are just sooo different musically & just not on the same page. I don’t really think anyone can do an album with Bey & not get completely out shined!

I had heard rumors that Rihanna & Katy Perry were gonna do a duet album together, that to me actually sounds believable. They are good friends and they make similiar music, so that doesn’t seem to far fetched! I would even be open for a Monica/Brandy album.

For the most part as far a ‘singers’ in the Game I can’t really imagine too many heavyweights that could pull off what Jay & Kanye did. Like someone before can you imagine X-Tina over singing Adele on an song let alone a whole album? Or Mariah & Whitney (although they did collaborate together before on ‘Believe’ and it was EPIC) trying to out do each other.

I think maybe big name singers should only try to tackle a song collaboration, but not a full album.

49. August 11, 2011 at 9:30 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

My dream duet before I die I will like to see
    all five of my faves (Britney, Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki, Gaga) on one song !!!
    maybe like what Pitbull did with Neyo and that girl !
    or what Britney did with kesha and nicki !!!

50. August 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

I like Britney but she was terrible on that S&M remix they should have Beyonce !!!
    S&M (Remix)- Rihanna ft. Beyonce !!!

51. August 11, 2011 at 9:48 pm
    nice_gurl says:

I don’t think any two pop stars could collaborate. They are all too different and i’m thinking there would be a lot of arguments.

The Otis video was okay. At least they are auctioning the car and giving the money to charity.

52. August 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm
    The Throne BK says:

I thought the video, was quite funny in a good way, it was just a fun video, and at least they wasnt in a black room just rapping in the camera, it was cool to me i enjoyed it.

53. August 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm
    Them other chicks are superficial (queenbey) says:

MTV is doin a tribute to Britney Spears @ da VMA’S this year 🙄

54. August 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

@ Queenbey STOP TREATING THAT GIRL BAD….BECAUSE SHE ISNT LIKE BEYONCE !!!!

55. August 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm
    V says:

No there won’t, sorry to say but women can’t work together like that. Beyonce especially will never do a collabo album, she barely even does features…..

56. August 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm
    sugarwall says:

I hope there will be a Beyonce & Mariah Carey album like this!

57. August 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm
    SerferTJ says:

Wouldn’t it just SLAYYYYY if Christina and Pink did an album together????? 😀
    Could you imagine THAT much talent, emotion, versatility and tension in one album?
    Too bad they still kinda hate eachother. lol

58. August 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm
    keri hilson swag queen says:

jay z cannot rappppppppppppppppppppppppppp

59. August 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm
    keri hilson swag queen says:

beyonce is a overrated b****

60. August 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm
    jamir21: bey,rih,gaga,brit SHITS on janet & keri ! says:

@ Keri Hilson Swag Queen B**** KERI HILSON IS A FLOP !

61. August 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm
    C says:

B&B = Beyonce & Brandy. I’d be in vocal heaven!

62. August 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm
    J to the L O, Hello! says:

JLO AND GAGA!!!

63. August 12, 2011 at 12:04 am
    theman says:

Mariah and Beyonce would be AMAZING !!!!! Heck even a collabo would be GREAT !!!

There goes that @S******** tooting his lies again. Beyonce has only accomplished things that Gaga and Britney could only dream of??? Lol i’ll take that as a joke because thats all it is.

Your one helluva sideshow thats for sure.

64. August 12, 2011 at 12:05 am
    CORY says:

THE ONLY NUMBER 1 WAS BRANDY & MONICA, GAGA AND KING B WITH A CLOSE NUMBER 3

65. August 12, 2011 at 1:35 am
    xtincta says:

S&M was #1 Cory……..

66. August 12, 2011 at 1:36 am
    KD says:

It would never work…the thought alone brings chills down my spine.

67. August 12, 2011 at 1:56 am
    Precy says:

Anybody dat wants a duet album wit bey must be ready 4 her tour which mean dancin,singin on heels 4 hrs nd i dnt c any artist who can pull dat off.buh an r&b album would lyk mariah&bey simple

68. August 12, 2011 at 2:26 am
    KD says:

People are naturally competitive…competition in terms of delivering the best rap verse is far more tolerable on the ears than say a vocal competition. I would not want to be subjected to over-singing and overly theatrical performances that are aimed at affirming who is the superior vocalist in a pop/r&b duo.

THIS WILL NOT WORK…AND I PRAY TO GOD THAT NO ONE EVER ATTEMPTS IT.

69. August 12, 2011 at 2:51 am
    MISHKA says:

A DIVA DUET ALBUM Forget about it!

For those who were more than 6 in 1999, Brandy & Monica hit it big with “The Boy is Mine” then Monica pull a b*tch a%s move and decided to make appearances and ride on the success sans Brandy.

DIVAS DON ‘T ALBUM- DUET, sweetie *In My Mariah Carey voice*

70. August 12, 2011 at 4:38 am
    Luis says:

Sorry to burst your bubble but… Telephone has gone nowhere. :/

71. August 12, 2011 at 8:20 am
    Aaliyah says:

I am dreaming of a song by Beyonce and Rihanna… But I think a lot of people would be disappointed of the song because it has so much hype and anticipation both of them being the biggest stars on the planet (excluding Gaga).

72. August 12, 2011 at 8:26 am
    RIHANNA IS SCUM says:

THE ALBUM IS HOT. U BRITS JUST DON’T GET IT. FEMALES WOULD NEVER GET ALONG ENOUGH TO SING TOGETHER.

73. August 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm