Throwback Footage: 15 Year Old Rihanna Performs Mariah Carey's 'Hero' | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty? Advertisement

Throwback Footage: 15 Year Old Rihanna Performs Mariah Carey’s ‘Hero’

Throwback Rihanna Performs Hero Throwback Footage: 15 Year Old Rihanna Performs Mariah Careys Hero

Long before she became one of the world’s most celebrated entertainers, Pop force Rihanna- like many an aspiring singer before and after her- found herself frequenting the stages of many a talent contest in a bid to flaunt her skills to anyone willing to pay attention.

Now check out this Throwback Footage of the ‘Music Of The Sun‘ beauty performing Mariah Carey‘s ‘Hero’ at a talent contest less than a year before she was signed to Island Def Jam by on/off mentor Jay Z and X Factor USA judge LA Reid, below…

Though it would be nice to say Ms. Fenty’s voice has come a long way since this performance, it is a shame to say that it hasn’t.

While it is unfair to expect someone as young as pre-record deal Rihanna to possess the vocal skill of someone with twice as much training as her, there is no question that the average person would not even dare to consider a career in music with a voice like hers.

Thus making her success all the more commendable, for what she has always lacked in discernible talent she has made up for in personality and undeniably good Pop music.

Here’s to hoping the next era of Ms. ‘Umbrella’s career sees her display the talent her label and fans remain adamant she has so much of.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:11 am
    RosaRubbel says:

This performance is a classic :D

• October 3, 2011 at 9:15 am
    Jess says:

Sam why did you post this? This is just mean!! Lmao!!

• October 3, 2011 at 9:16 am
    CHillin says:

LOL you guys really dislike rihanna…I am from the islands myself..and we are extremely proud of Rihanna..not most people who grew up on an island their entire life can make such an accomplishment and become a mega superstar..though her voice isnt as strong as everyone elses..she has done what most of us has dreamed to do! GO RIHANNA!!!!

• October 3, 2011 at 9:18 am
    Classy_Guy says:

Rihanna just made a fool of herself but I give her props for trying!! No one can sing a mariah carey song because she uses so many different techniques that only she can do!

• October 3, 2011 at 9:19 am
    TWITTER.COM/Ayo_ronnie says:

Ch…..

• October 3, 2011 at 9:20 am
    ThePleasurePrincipal says:

I don’t know what it is about TGJ that hates Rihanna so much. You will not say that you don’t because it’s evident! LOL I enjoy a lot of the content with this blog, but I understand you won’t like everyone but Rihanna has indeed come a long way professionally and vocally. Rihanna makes great music. Billboard has constantly proven this point and opinion. Her voice isn’t a Whitney or a Beyoncé but that’s not what she contributes to music, but she does greatly influence music today. Rihanna is a foreign talented act. Regardless of this performance. Are we gonna compare Britney’s lack of performance quality today for her past triumphs… No. Rihanna may not be the “powerhouse singer” many may expect from a successful singer but that obviously is not what people want to hear all the time… I don’t know if y’all have an inside joke behind the blog but I had to voice my opinion on the excessive bagging on Rihanna in… well… every post.

Note: This comment is not personal. :)

• October 3, 2011 at 9:20 am
    haters says:

DAMN YOU GUYS POST THIS EVERY MONTH! LET IT GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear this site just throws shade at every opportunity, I don’t see you posting throwbacks of bad performances of kelly from back in the day…..

Thatgrapejuice staff, I know your trying to get that job by sucking up to Sam using the rihanna hate but Sam has posted this himself many a time, read the site to get on the site

Kthankx Bye!

HATERS

• October 3, 2011 at 9:25 am
    YoSmoove says:

Rihanna’s voice isnt even that bad. She just needs to stop smoking and take some serious vocal training. I’m a big RIhanna fan, but I’m not delirious enough to not realize she could be so much better for her fans.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:35 am
    KD says:

0_o @ that disappear note.

S/N: Did she win?

• October 3, 2011 at 9:36 am
    UMMM STOP says:

this video has not just re-surfaced… what was the point in posting it?

what did she ever do to you for you to hate her so much?

• October 3, 2011 at 9:40 am
    Nae says:

That was amazing! Hands down, Rihanna has the one of the best singing voices in the industry. Her harmonies, runs, falsettos…everything was done to perfection! It’s very rare to have a talented women in the industry these days.

:lol:

• October 3, 2011 at 9:41 am
    Rihanna says:

yo, why is this website always dissing Rihanna.. shes like one of the biggest stars of music right now. haters.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:44 am
    hate says:

Why so much hate well the industry are talking bad about Rihanna even to the point at what really happened 2 1/2 years ago. There is alot of hate toward Rihanna out there and are being covered up by paid reviews which writes good things about her instead of the truth about what people really are saying.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:47 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

Why would you post this…you already posted this like 4 yrs. ago !

• October 3, 2011 at 9:50 am
    James227 says:

LMFAO

• October 3, 2011 at 9:56 am
    MissImpartial says:

She sounds better there than she does nowadays. She should have not gone for Mariah but it is not as bad as you make it out. In some parts she is quite good. But we do know she was singed because of her looks rather than her singing ability. And not everyone who can sing has the star quality.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:56 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@SAM :

Sit your (_____________!_____________) on the nearest _______________/

b**** that was tired !!

Now can you make a post about this :

Since you are obsessed with old footages .. ;)

• October 3, 2011 at 9:58 am
    beyonce adele fan says:

LMFAO…riri girl u still is a mega superstar lol you are NOW more relevant than the original singer of the song yeah I said it!!! I didn’t say more talented I simply said more RELEVANT…

• October 3, 2011 at 9:59 am
    MissImpartial says:

@POP ROYALTY

You should at least give us a warning if you put up pics like that. Lol

• October 3, 2011 at 10:00 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

She may not have the best vocals out there…but she is pretty unique :) :) :) :) :) !
    But still she is a MEGASTAR !
    Hell Madonna (not hating) didnt have the best vocals but still her career expanded for 30 + plus years !

• October 3, 2011 at 10:02 am
    aisha aguilera keys says:

LOL! Sam u’re CRUEL! Horrible singing, but notice that the audience applauds, so Riri blindly believing that she could sing was prompted at an early stage by her deaf audience.

“there is no question that the average person would not even dare to consider a career in music with a voice like hers.” – ROFLMFAO! C-R-U-E-L!

Singing gets it ugly peak starting 2:17. Really awful. But as u said Sam, she makes “undeniably good Pop music”.

• October 3, 2011 at 10:04 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

And to the person who said that Rihanna`s time is up….yeah you know who you are !….Her time is not up swettie pie she is still going strong no matter what OKAY !

• October 3, 2011 at 10:09 am
    THEFASHIONISTACHIC says:

MY BABY FOUND HER WAY!! DIDN’T SHE?

• October 3, 2011 at 10:16 am
    KAT DELUNA FAN says:

OMG TGJ is so shady llove

HAHHHHHAAJHH LOOK AT THE GOAT YOU STAN FOR :lol: I CANT

• October 3, 2011 at 10:19 am
    James Al says:

S-H-A-D-E!!!!!!!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:21 am
    Christian says:

All I can do is just laugh at this performance. LMFAO!!!!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:22 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

^^^^ RIHANNA IS ABOUT TO KICK SOME ASS…AS I MEAN ASS…I MEAN KAT DELUNA FAN`S ASS !!!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:27 am
    Auntie Jackie says:

Okay TGJ. We know she can’t sing, but being able to sing is not what she’s about. People lie to themselves about her talent so they don’t have to admit latching on to a carefully crafted, contrived image. We get it already, but it’s not going to stop her train, because people are STUPID!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:28 am
    @TEAMFOXYDONDIVA says:

wack ass bajan w**** , no wonder why your just a plain single selling w****! rihanna sit dowwwwwwwne . “Countdown ” is about to take over b****!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:30 am
    Myrl22 says:

that wasnt her best, than again she wasnt trained yet. but to say she hasnt gotten better is an understatement. Im not a fan (or let say i stop being a fan after she change from good girl to what her image is now) but im not a hater. the girl is getting her money the best way she can. She did get better vocally tho. She is not a stong singer but she is better now than she was back then. Still not a fan.

• October 3, 2011 at 10:38 am
    Hassan says:

Sammm! Why aint u posted Mariahs new pics with JD, and her new pic while she waas jogging ai?

• October 3, 2011 at 10:42 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

• October 3, 2011 at 10:44 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@MISSIMPARTIAL :

LOL :lol: , I will consider doing just that next time ;)

• October 3, 2011 at 10:46 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

@ Pop Royalty HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOL !

• October 3, 2011 at 10:50 am
    Madonnalover says:

Da f***? Post some real news.

MADONNA IS PERFORMING AT THE SUPERBOWL. POST IT SAM.
    POST THIS s*** NOW

• October 3, 2011 at 10:51 am
    Madonnalover says:

SAM. get on it.

• October 3, 2011 at 10:53 am
    the kiddz says:

No good can come from this.

@Pop Royalty

You are such a child. Not everyone is going to like Rihanna and sometimes they’ll go out of their way to show it, but all you’re doing is proving how insecure you are. What, you can’t handle someone’s opinion of your darling sunshine?

• October 3, 2011 at 10:54 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

Superbowl Halftime Game ~~~~~~~~~~~~>>> I DONT KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THAT !

• October 3, 2011 at 10:55 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

@ The Kiddz Hmmmmmmmmm sounds like your a hater to me !

• October 3, 2011 at 10:56 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@JAMIR21 :

;)

• October 3, 2011 at 10:57 am
    Madonnalover says:

SAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM POST THAT s*** NOW!

• October 3, 2011 at 10:59 am
    the kiddz says:

@Jamir21

Of course. Someone who doesn’t agree with asinine comments is a hater. Go figure.

• October 3, 2011 at 11:03 am

@ the kiddz

• October 3, 2011 at 11:04 am
    i&i(yardie) says:

Of all the mean things TGJ could do, this is the worse. LMAO!!

• October 3, 2011 at 11:06 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@THE KIDDZ :

YES ! I’m a 4 Y.o child !

How did you know that ?! where did you saw my face ?! 8O

Where’s my Teddy bear ?! :lol:

look bro , I’m free to do whatever ! and everyone here will deal ! And where did I say that you all have to like Rihanna ?! 8O

btw ! BEYONCE STANS do more than that and shade other artists and your wise ass say nothing to them ! So please save your own advices for yourself.

B Y E

• October 3, 2011 at 11:07 am
    MichaelAngelo says:

I’ve heard worse

• October 3, 2011 at 11:11 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

@ The Kiddz I am a child too !!!
    I like gummie bears, stuffed animals, chuck e cheeses, sesame street, and SPONGEBOB !!!
    I have a pet bear named Mr. Fenty :) LOL
    He likes to smoke crack and do other drugs !
    He has other cubs from other bears !
    This what he looks like !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:12 am
    DanityKiWi says:

She hit every note….EXCEPT the right ones.

• October 3, 2011 at 11:17 am
    the kiddz says:

@Pop Royalty and your other account JAMIR21

I didn’t call you a child, I called you childish as in Of, like, appropriate to a child, silly and immature.

And I’ve told every stan base, not just Rihanna stans. I can see that this site has become nothing but a breeding ground for delusional fools such as yourself. Oh well, I wish you and all your identities a speedy recovery.

• October 3, 2011 at 11:21 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@SAM :

Post that Madonna s*** h** !

Or do u wanna see me shading the hell out of KR ?! ;) ! you know my shade is TOXIC :mrgreen:

You choose …

• October 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

@ The Kiddz
    We are not childish we are MATURE !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:24 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

^^^^^^ This is what I am going to do to shade Kelly id you dont post MADONNA !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:31 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@THE KIDDZ :

I don’t have other accounts .. do u think I need to do it like cheap hoes who can have 13467 usernames and post a comment per username ?!

No , I do not do that s*** ..

Tbh , you just need to STFU ! I am not interested to reply to you ! But to just say I’m a childish and immature that’s prove you don’t listen to or understand your own advice !

And yes I am a Fool delusional child ! Do u have a problem with that ?! can you do anything about it ?!
    Clearly NO , so

Don’t reply to me again ! I am not interested in your conversation and your wise know-it- all ass !

C H E E R S :lol:

• October 3, 2011 at 11:32 am
    ARE YOU SERIOUS? says:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

SHE IS A MESS!!

LORD AND SAVIOR GODGA WOULD SING CIRCLES AROUND THIS GIRL

OMG THAT NOTE AT THE END!!! LMAOOO!!!

SMH!!

• October 3, 2011 at 11:35 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

*caution*

KIDS ” except @JAMIR21 cuz he already did that ” do NOT CLICK on that LINK above :roll:

• October 3, 2011 at 11:37 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@are you serious :

Godga ?! ARE YOU SERIOUS :roll:

Now that was a mess :roll: !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:38 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

I really dont want this new album to be released yet !
    I am still enjoying the LOUD era !
    because We Found Love could have been part of LOUD because it was a left over track !
    But oh well…..:( :(
    Rihanna should have taken a break *maybe about six or seven months* for 2012 !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:40 am
    Pop Royalty (RUDE BOY) says:

@JAMIR21:

I don’t agree with your last comment ..

• October 3, 2011 at 11:42 am
    MissImpartial says:

@Jamir
    It does not feel that it is a new era this time around. How can you release an album if you are still touring with the Loud album.

• October 3, 2011 at 11:43 am
    JAMIR21: I LOVE RIHANNA, BRITNEY, BEYONCE, NICKI AND GAGA says:

@ Pop Royalty Why dont you !
    @ Missimpartial Yeah like you are still touring and stuff !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:48 am
    MissImpartial says:

@Jamir
    I am looking forward to hear the rest of the stuff but I hope the songs have different sounds. I want another Breaking Dishes song. Love that one. What is your fave Rihanna song or album????

• October 3, 2011 at 11:49 am

@ Missimpartial
    Yeah me too !
    My favorite Rihanna song is probably What`s My Name !? and my favorite album is Loud !

• October 3, 2011 at 11:53 am
    MissImpartial says:

@Jamir
    When did you start supporting Rihanna?? Just curious.

• October 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

@ Missimpartial
    Since 2006 !

• October 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm
    Aryo says:

haha, no rihanna stans are here, lol, i think the reason is pretty obvious lol

• October 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm
    I'ma have to send her to her maker says:

I agree w/ chillin. You make a good point and I like rihanna’s voice. She has definitely paved way for other island girls out there to live their dreams. And her voice is honestly not that bad. But she definitely screwed up mc’s song BIG TIME here. I also don’t like some of her immature stans who know nothing about real singing and bash other artists. So yeah!

• October 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm
    Tiburones5 says:

THANK GOODNESS FOR PROTOOLS!!! THIS SUCKS BALLS… OR SOUNDS LIKE SHE HAS AT LEAST 2 IN HER MOUTH. UGH, WHAT A “c***” JUST LIKE HER NECKLACE SAYS.

• October 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm
    ..baa, "I sound just like Mariah when I sing" says:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha….WTF was that? I knew you guys felt a certain way about Rihanna but DAMN, THIS WAS JUST MEAN!! LOL :-) Poor MC, girl I’m sorry for you….

• October 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm
    It's Official says:

authors of this blog are simply laughable paranoid idiots. it’s funny to read!

• October 3, 2011 at 12:51 pm
    lAX says:

Hearrrrrrr me Rihanna knows this
    A quitter never win &
    a winner never quits
    She has come a verrrrrry long waaaays indeed
    As CB SINGS “lOOK @ ME NOW”

• October 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm
    lAX says:

In the grand analysis the very people who wishes that rih would FAIL or
    always giving her Mad Passionate love, Always and helping to INSPIRES Me and
    all of those over 45Million Face book Followers to LOVE RIHANNA EVEN MORE!

• October 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm
    Onyx says:

Rihanna is very talented, go girl.

• October 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm
    THE UNIVERSITY OF GAGA says:

Oh look,My delusional counterpart is back…..

• October 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm
    KWAME says:

RIHANNA CAN’T CATCH A BREAK WITH YOU LOT..SMH

• October 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm
    TYLER says:

she dont sound that bad. she has come a loooooooooong way tho. i find it funny how most of you have no money lmfaoo and survive on food stamps and unemployment and even work at mcdonalds. while rihanna eating good

all these celebs yall hate on

keri hilson
    rihanna
    katy perry etc. all them enjoying their life and dont even know yall exist lol while yall posting pics of your clothes off on facebook or eating ramen noodles . lmfaoooooo

• October 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm
    MissImpartial says:

@THE UNIVERSITY OF GAGA
    Lol who do you mean?????

• October 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm
    Mike says:

You guys serisouly Hate Rihanna……At the end of the day she is still successful. GET OVER IT

• October 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm
    VA STAND UP!!! says:

LMAO! TGJ ya’ll are so wrong! This video is so old, I saw this like 3 years ago and I am more than sure ya’ll have posted this before! Ya’ll just don’t give up! Lol!

The worst part is that she actually won! So I guess that means that everyone else in the pageant must have REALLY sucked OR that her looks is what got her the title…..I’m gonna go with the ladder. Her looks seem to a help her out a lot.

I can’t be mad at her though, a chick with a limited amount of talent doing so big is quite an accomplishemt. *shrugs*

• October 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    oloo says:

she cannot sing that was a hot ass mess ! her voice is very average just like beyonces.

• October 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm
    LADY GAGA SPEAKS says:

that was super wack how did she gets signed that was hottttt trash!

• October 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm
    MISHKA says:

LMAO!

That’s low, TGJ, Why would you bring out this old sh%t lol

Forget about her vocals, what always got me is the way she was working her finger, like Mariah always does. Like, the gurl thought she was killing it LMAO.

Rihanna , if you go to the club tonight, request “Look at me now” alright?

• October 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm

THIS!!!

• October 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm
    Robier says:

Bwaahaaaaaaa whew I needed that laugh. Omg

• October 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm
    Interesting......... says:

Posting this was just mean…..poor girl can’t catch a break with you guys.

Glad she is pushing that last album out so she can renegotiate her contract. Hopefully she will have more creative control, money and even more buisness ventures. I would assume thats why she is releasing so many albums.

I still enjoy her music though. Like to listen to it when I work out :)

• October 3, 2011 at 3:17 pm
    Bey'knight says:

ch…. this chick is a laughing stock

• October 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm
    Army Of Queen Of R&B Aaliyah & Queen Bee ! (ISTAN4Aaliyah&Kim) Who Da f*** Want War ??? !!!!!! says:

Lmfaoooo @ the Shade Sam But Anyways Her Vocals Havent Improved At ALL But Rih Rih is Still A Bad b**** !

• October 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm
    THE UNIVERSITY OF GAGA says:

@MissImpartial

I mean @Are You Serious? up there….

• October 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm
    perhaps says:

I love Riri…I can respect this effort.

• October 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm
    JohnVidal says:

————————————————————————————

This LOLOL

• October 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm
    lAX says:

HI,,,Haters get yo laught on because its all going around and around and my money and support is behind rihanna hands down. When you or looking at the
    negative and not the positive in ones life there is no way that you will ever see the “BEST IN RIHANNA” But that is okay,,,,Because think about it all of the s***
    that has been hurled at her noe of it has STUCK!!!!!!! Making her a shoe in for steady GROWING AND CULTIVATING A THICK SKIN,,,,And that us what you need when theres so many who has fallen by the way side and RIHANNA Is still in the game, and shes one of the FARORITES TO WIN, HANDS DOWN. I would put rihanna aganist about half of all of them under 30 in the ENTERTAINMENT FIELD, AND YOU BET YO ASS SHES HOLDING IT DOWWWWWWN. Check her credit and do a comparision, HATERRRRRRRS!
    PS,,,,,,,@ THE KIDDDDDDD,,,,Look bytch,,,no one is holding a fukkkkkkkkkg gun to
    any ones head to make them LOVE RIHANNA BYTCH,,,If you do not like RIHANNA That is your choice, no one and i mean not a single PERSON IS HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR magggggggot head to make you lovvvve RIHANNA,,,,gtho,,,With
    that b/s,,You and the people who tries to shade her or FOREVER AND A DAY HELPING TO MAKE THE might rihannasnavy jobs eaiser, and i love your monkey ass toooooooooo,,,,,NAVY all day every DAYYYYYYYYYYY!

• October 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm
    lAX says:

Mariah,,,Is a iconic legend and many aspires to be like her and she and other legends do not sweat the small stuff like some of these kids who still have the milk taste on their breath and the diaper print still on their butts. Rihanna has come a very long ways and shes still learning. It was not very long ago when
    NEYO Was helping rihanna learn how to speak english and her unique voice
    is one of the things that many people admire about her.

• October 3, 2011 at 10:02 pm
    Josh says:

I like the accent/vocal inflections during the first half. The second half is just a mess vocally.

• October 4, 2011 at 2:35 am
    DTG says:

Just goes to show how much of a fraud Rihanna is. She was plucked off the street simply because some producer decided she had a “look” and that he could “shape” her into something for fast profit. It could have just as easily been anybody. She is illegitimate and very untalented.

• October 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm
    Brian B says:

oh Lord that was terrible lmao

But the thing about this girl is that she can actually sing, like she has a voice in there somewhere, it wasnt made for power ballads or songs like run this town. But I hear songs like skin and firebomb and she actually sounds perfect on them, so I can see why she is at least a musician. She shouldnt be tryna front like she can hit the big notes, oh man that was brutal

• October 5, 2011 at 6:39 am
    reneetheg says:

her best performance yet.