Musical Chairs: Who Should Replace J.Lo On ‘American Idol’?

americanidolreplacements1 Musical Chairs:  Who Should Replace J.Lo On American Idol?

As previously reported, reality talent show juggernaut ‘American Idol’ recently bid adieu to two of its judges – Steven Tyler & Jennifer Lopez.  Now, reports circulate that the ‘Ain’t It Funny’ songstress’s exit from ‘Idol’ was everything but a laughing matter, as her demands for an increase in pay led to an unceremonious ousting.

Amidst falling ratings and steeper competition (see:  ‘The Voice’, ‘X Factor USA’), the FOX fan favorite is looking to employ a star who probably fits a bit more comfortably into their budget.  And, given some of the names allegedly in talks to take up Lopez’s vacant chair on the judging panel, possibly for once someone who can actually sing may be put in place.

Mary J. Blige, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion are just a few names at the front of the race.  Additionally, given the boost afforded to Lopez’s career during her stint on the show, it’s safe to say the aforementioned would appreciate the same.  Or, given Britney Spears (X Factor) and Christina Aguilera‘s (The Voice) inclusions on ‘Idol’s’ fiercest competitors, should FOX executives look for someone younger and more current?

You tell us:  Who (among these and more) should replace Steven Tyler & Jennifer Lopez on ‘American Idol’?

• July 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm
    King Z says:

Toni Braxton! none of those people up there. Toni would be fun and it would be a great look for her career!

Tanya Johnson Replied:

Toni Braxton does not have time for this, i believe they should just cancel the show, it has done its time. Toni just need to promote your album well and she will be okay.

Junior Replied:

sadly enough you need shows like this to remind people your still a legend. TONi BRAXTON is a perfect fit . SHE HAS MUCH TALENT TO SHOW THESE CONTESTANT AND COULD HELP HER COMEBACK. SHE IS ONE OF THE PEOPLE THAT COULD BE JUDGING!! NOT A DANCER !

Jasmine Replied:

I like Toni and Mariah. Aretha is not really into being told what to do and where to travel so I doubt she will get selected. Celine is back in Vegas and her schedule is already quite busy. I think Toni, Mariah, or Mary would all be good choices or even 2 out of 3 would be good (picking 2 judges instead of 1).

mob Replied:

I’d go with Toni. She has the personaility for a show like this. Celine is BORING and her accent would work my nerves. MJB would be boring as well. Aretha thinks she’s still on top of the charts with her outrageous attitude problem (my doctor told me not to fly so she missed Whitney’s funeral 0_O?). Toni would be a winner imo

• July 15, 2012 at 6:11 pm
    Suicide Blonde says:

They say…. Mariah.

King Z Replied:

Very true, BUT american idol has two seats to fill since jlo and steven left. Now that I think about it, maybe somebody like ashanti or brandy/monica. somebody young. no more old people

Suicide Blonde Replied:

But Ashanti, Brandy and Monica are ot famous, the show needs famous people.

Mely B Replied:

I like your thinking but of the 3, I could only see Brandy filling the role perfectly. Ashanti tends to be a little “extra” and Moni – I could see on BET’s Sunday Best (gospel american idol).

@SBlonde – did u know Simon, Randy or Paula when this show began? A lot of people watch to see the contestants, not the judges & those ladies ARE famous to a certain segment of the population.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:18 pm
    Stephon Coleman says:

How about the entire show gets cancelled. Im sick of these talent shows. They need to bring back TRL on MTV, so 106 & Park can have some compitition. Also, imma really need Direct TV to give me my damn channels back. Thats All…

P.s… Mariah Carey you betta not sign up for J-lo’s sloppy seconds.

Chelsea Replied:

Agreed! Direct TV is taking too damn long to give people back their channels.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    King Z says:

I would rather see janet jackson than mariah carey! yes, mariah is clearly the better singer but i think janet needs it more

Jayla Replied:

TRUE

• July 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm
    ENOUGH ONIKA says:

I’d rather see this show just retire period. Who really has a successful career anymore from this show anyway?

Mely B Replied:

The powers behind this show & the label they force these kids to sign to don’t promote them properly anymore – they think that people will buy their albums just because they were on AI.

I think the point is that people should support the contestants they liked so that they can become successful. It seems backwards to only support them IF or ONCE they become successful – they can only achieve success if we fans support them.

ENOUGH ONIKA Replied:

The point is, no one WATCHES the show like that to even care to support. I could’t tell you the names of the last five winners! Back in the day when AI was different and new to television, people cared. Now we have options, it’s the same thing every year and it’s boring. Nothing against the acts, its the show itself.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    monstarebel says:

lol tf people stil watch this s***

• July 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    Freddie says:

NONE OF THEM. THE SHOWS NEEDS TO DIE. IT”S STALE AND IRRELEVANT. BESIDES ADAM LAMBERT AND SCOTT MCCERR, AMERICAN IDOL HASN’T PRODUCE ANY TRUE STARS SINCE SEASON 6. IT’S RAN IT’S COURSE NOW LET THE VOICE AND THE FACTOR TAKE CENTER STAGE.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    MISHKA says:

Mariah should refuse this job. She’s too much of a star to hop on a sinking ship. She doesn’t need that.

Whatever the case may be, they better get Adam Lambert on that panel. That’s all I want.

J-Lo what a stupid move, gurl. Why did you need the extra 2 milli for? Casper’ s allowance? You got denied like a fly girl, shame on ya.

• July 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm
    Ugh says:

JUST CANCEL THE f****** SHOW ALREADY!

• July 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm
    christinastherealtalent says:

Just cancel the f****** show. How many more judges and flop winners is this show going to go through before they realize its run its course?

• July 15, 2012 at 7:31 pm
    steven says:

Toni Braxton!!!

• July 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm
    LOURDES says:

American Idol has run its course……just cancel it.

• July 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm
    LOL says:

Someone that needs a revival… like Toni but I doubt that they would think of her to be honest, Aretha would be good too, Mariah would be amazing, Celine don’t have time for that, Mary is still very much in the business don’t know if she has time for it either

• July 15, 2012 at 8:12 pm
    JayMac104 says:

Toni Braxton! She is a true talent and I think she would be good for the show. She is so understated, it would be good for her and for people to remember why she was so huge.

• July 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm
    Mewseek says:

Patti LaBell!! She would tell it like it is!

• July 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm
    brandon says:

I think ashanti! Ppl may talk s*** about het. But she’s verrrrrrrrry professional.she has a very nice bubbly personality. She’s gorgeous. Camera luvs her. And she’s young

number1k9 Replied:

I would love for Ashanti to snatch a job/position like this, but I sadly don’t think producers or mainstream America believes that Ashanti can take the reigns of a sole female position like this.

Now if it was a duo female role, I think she would be a great addition and compliment many ppl very well.

I do love her personality tho!

Its like Ashanti gets locked into the category like Jessica Simpson, but since she is not white, she doesn’t even get the press Jessica Simpson gets. Like she too would have been great for X Factor US Season 1, rather Nicole Schezinger… but producers prob thought America isn’t checking or her hard either, sad :(

• July 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    Jesse says:

I would like to see one of the winners of American Idol because they have the experience and know what it is like to stand up on that stage. They also have to be the ones who have made a name for themselves and are still relevant today such as Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson or Adam Lambert. Mariah Carey I think would also be a great choice. We’ll see what happens.

• July 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm
    Alec says:

Ciara!!!

• July 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm
    Hateretha says:

If Aretha’s big ass couldn’t. Make it to Whitney’s funeral cuz of a leg spasm what makes youthink she could fufill her duties as an A.I. Judge?

Ugh Replied:

DEAD

• July 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm
    ElantraGT says:

How about Janet, and Nick Lachey or Justin Timberlake?

ElantraGT Replied:

or Jojo

number1k9 Replied:

Janet, yes. Justin Timberlake, yes. Tho he would NOT do it. That would be an amazing cath tho Idol!

But, Nick Lachey??? Maybe if he didn’t already throw in his towel and become a host of a singing competition (The Sing Off), embarassing!

• July 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm
    Benron says:

Even though nobody watches this s*** they should put Beyonce on i. Her last album didn’t do to well and all she does know is follow Kim and Jay around. Its kind of pathetic for someone who was so sucsessful and has a baby she is never taking care of.

We know she is smart (Ok we know she is NOT smart but…) to critic people like “Oh you singing was great! Reminded me of this song on my album..” or even “your singing SUCKED! The complete opposite ofthis ballad onmy album….. (etc.)

• July 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    theman says:

Mariah is way too big to do a show like this. Just can it. They don’t even produce chart toppers anymore. The show makes money but not the artists.

• July 15, 2012 at 10:52 pm
    Nichole says:

They paid J.Lo $20 mill, and she couldn’t even bring in ratings.

The ratings Queen is Britney, and X-Factor already snagged her up.

Ratings for the AI finale this year was a complete flop.

Mariah should pass on this, which she probably will cus she didn’t even take up Simon’s offer.

It’s time for Idol to give it up.

Btw, I don’t see Toni taking the gig because her health might be at risk with her health ailments.

Janet already received her big career boost after MJ passed, and we all know how bad she needed that.

Ashanti??? Not in this life.

Aretha Franklin? She would drive Idol out of business with her conceit, and ridiculous diva demands.

Maybe they should get Fantasia’s country ass on there. Or give Jennifer Hudson a go.

LOL Replied:

Wow delusional. American Idol is the most watched show in the states.

• July 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm
    Yup89 says:

I would like to see aretha franklin in the position. Shes a real living legend and isnt up to too much nowadays. Adam lambert wouldnt bring in much ratings but the move would def help his career. Mariah has had her flops and would benefit from a career boost, just as long as she doesnt stay on. Janet shouldnt do it. Id hate it if she gets involved in a sinking ship. She should have taken the X-factor offer if anything.

Mely B Replied:

Sorry but having seen ReRe on countless tribute & award shows I have to say it, her attitude is “stank” and I don’t believe she has what it takes to be a judge & also as others have stated, she has a travel phobia so logistically I don’t see this show putting up with her diva behavior & frankly I wouldn’t want to see her.

• July 16, 2012 at 12:57 am
    K^mAn says:

I would love too see them bring in Cheryl cole because when she was on x factor uk she won 2 seasons and on her last season she came in 2nd, she has the skills of being a good judge but I know many people would be against it. Too me in a perfect world she would be the perfect replacement. But I would like too see someone of music backgroUnd because I hated when ellen came in because she is not of music background, that kind of beats the purpose of an idol judge. I would like too see either victoria Beckham because she proved too be a good judge before Ellen came in, or Shania twain because she had a career people would die for, and she made country music more mainstream at the time.

number1k9 Replied:

I keep saying this, don’t be surprised if they end up with a Country female superstar like Shania Twain or Faith Hill.

They really are the only stars I could see taking J.Lo’s seat and not being made fun of for it. Its like every1 else thinks the others are too big for the role, or to lesser (than J.Lo) for the role.

J.Lo was the perfect Paula Abdul replacement. They both had amazing Dance Pop careers, only thing is J.Lo was very much so more still in ehr hey day when she joined, Paula in 2001, not so much!

I was SO pissed at Ellen being a judge too, horrible choice! Only judge in Idol history, to make Kara DioGuardi look like a saint

• July 16, 2012 at 1:25 am
    john says:

mary j should take it.her being on the show might get her on that mariah level. mariah is too big of a star. to be a judge on a show like that. plus mariah is working on her alumb. aretha franklin isnt a big enough star. plus mariah is too expensive. the voice paying christina $10 million a year. America idol was paying j.lo $15 million a year. Mariah probably gonna charge them $20 million. they should get janet. she having a lot of success in the accting world. so she might boast their ratings. they probably could get her for $2-4 million. patti labelle is building an empire: she goy got books, hot sauce, bedding, clothing, cook whare, perfumes, cooking dvds. she been in this business for 50-60 yeara. she probably can boast their ratings. they probably can get her for $1-2 million. she also owns her own management.. so she can take and sign the winner to the management company she started in 2004. Isiah Classic Food available on kindle.

LOL Replied:

“mary j should take it.her being on the show might get her on that mariah level.” WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

ITAINTYOBABY Replied:

I don’t know where you been, but MJB is just as legendary as Mariah

FANTASEA Replied:

“they should get janet…they probably could get her for $2-4 million” – GURRR PLEA!

• July 16, 2012 at 2:34 am
    mob says:

Toni Braxton, Cheryl Cole &/or Adam Lambert would be interesting.

• July 16, 2012 at 2:40 am
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

Probably Mariah. I’m not a fan, but this seems like the only way for her to make a proper comeback to the charts.

• July 16, 2012 at 2:45 am
    aishaaguilerakeys says:

I’ll tell you who should replace J Lo, a person with real talent.

number1k9 Replied:

Well I’ll tell you who it WON’T be!

Alicia Keys, no1 is checking for her anymore either, ever since she became a homewrecker and her voice got shot, its been downhill for her!

• July 16, 2012 at 3:16 am
    number1k9 says:

I want Janet Jackson if it remains a sole female role.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they switch it up, 2 females, and Jimmy Iovine in the middle on panel.

Don’t also be shocked if a Shania Twain or Faith Hill Country star gets chosen for the/a female panel role.

Some1 mentioned Justin Timberlake, he woud be a great guy, and get ppl to tune in… But his heart isn’t even in music lately, sicne 2006! ! ! But movies, which I can seriously do without J.T. acting roles!

number1k9 Replied:

P.S.

Are you all serious, you SERIOUSLY think producers would cast Toni Braxton for this role? I’m sorry I liek some of her music, but if this was 2000, OK… but no1 is heavily checking for her since the 90s!

She doesn’t command that star power any longer!

Mely B Replied:

She doesn’t command that star power any longer!

But did Paula, Steven or JLo before they were brought on? Esp Paula IJS

Tanya Johnson Replied:

What bull coming out of your mouth, you may not be checking for Toni but a lot of others are, so try and convenience yourself that Toni does not have star power , because we all know Quality and Art when we hear her songs and regardless what you may think, she is a TRUE LEGEND. If JLo can judge anybody else can judge,. Before you make stupid comments about Toni , i suggest you do some research about LEGEND…

• July 16, 2012 at 4:22 am
    POP ROYALTY ( f*** Yo Fav) says:

celine dion and MC.

• July 16, 2012 at 6:17 am
    unnami says:

KELLY CLARKSON!

• July 16, 2012 at 6:19 am
    unnami says:

Kelly Clarkson, Jimmy Iovine (instead Randy, they need to fire Randy) and maybe Mariah Carey or Justin Timberlake. They all three needs to be fameous. And maybe do some changes in formula.

• July 16, 2012 at 9:30 am
    MRDIVABITCH says:

Mariah! she would give input without being nasty. And Aretha! ‘coz that fat b**** is shady and can SANG!
    Celine is too damn nice to give truthful input.

FANTASEA Replied:

Are you being serious?! Mariah is the QUEEN OF SHADE

• July 16, 2012 at 9:39 am
    Mely B says:

If Randy leaves the judges table to mentor then of the folks you guys have mentioned, I’d love to see Adam Lambert, Faith Hill & Brandy. I think all of them would be honest but not cruel to those contestants. And on a racial note – this show needs to do more to bring back a diverse audience because personally if there are no Black female contestants chosen again this year I will be done with this show.

• July 16, 2012 at 10:12 am
    Johnb says:

I would love to see Mary take this ! She would bring in a lot more ratings ! But she is to busy she is doing a tour and has a lot on her plate but you never know ! Getting Mary or Jennifer HUD would make me watch this show even Janet but that’s about all

• July 16, 2012 at 11:04 am
    Lolax says:

Katy perry and celine dion

• July 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm
    JohnVidal(RIP Whitney-truegreat) says:

CELINE DION doesn´t have time for that. I pretty much doubt it. She doesn´t stop either touring around the world or show after show in Vegas. Plus she is recording two new albums for these November, one for the French audience and finally a new English one

MARIAH CAREY I doubt it too. She is busy with teh album and other things. If she didn´t take X factor when they begged her she won´t do this. And her husband already said that AI would have to pay way too much to get Mariah if they were paying JLo 15 or 20 million. I think it´s impossible

I don´t care about the rest. Although Aretha would be truly a surprise, she is a true great and she is shady as hell. And who said she is not famous enough? haha

• July 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm
    Dlux says:

I think Brandy would make a perfect judge and she also needs the publicity. Mariah is too grand for a television show like this, so is Celine. and Mary can barely sing her damn self to be trying to judge anybody.

• July 17, 2012 at 3:08 am
    Salah says:

Dude i would be so scared if aretha was a judge cause shes a LEGENED and if she says no to me then i would have to go crawl under some rock. Aretha was named the rolling stones BEST SINGER, so imagine auditioning infront of her!?

I think beyonce, youtube her when she was in x factor austrailia she was great and gave great advice. But at the same time i dont want her to do it cause i want her to do another album and world tour and be great like the I Am world tour!!

DUDE ALICIA KEYS WOULD BE AWSOME!!

Not Mariah though shes a queen she dosent need american idol.

AND THIS TIME AMERICAN IDOL PLEASE A JUDGE THAT CAN SING BETTER THAN THE CONSTANTS CAUSE I BET YOUR ASS LAST SEASONS CONSTANTS SANG BETTER THAN JLO.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:05 pm
    KING says:

I strongly feel that Brandy would be great look she would do it for $10 million which is what J.LO got her first year. And it would most def boost her already budding career.
    Toni Braxton would be good too but I rather see Brandy!!1
    As for the other seat Steven Tyler had no business there I think the other seat should be filled by a Major record producer like BabyFace or DarkChild they need more color