Exclusive: Sevyn Streeter Spills On New Album, August Alsina Duet, & Beyonce Grammy Snub

*Pinned: Posts Resume As Normal Below*

Since charging onto the scene two years ago, Sevyn Streeter has has skilfully established herself as one of R&B’s most promising talents.

Indeed, her refreshing sound and captivating stage presence have won her favor from fans and industry critics.

On the cusp of releasing her debut album (the follow-up to 2013 EP, ‘Call Me Crazy, But…’), the singer sat down with That Grape Juice to dish about the project and much more.

Hit ‘PLAY’ above to see the rising star talk about working with Chris Brown, her exciting August Alsina collaboration, and the Beyonce Grammy drama.

Sponsored

1. March 5, 2015 at 8:12 am
    Sue says:
    +12

Yesss honey you look amazing with that beard & sev looked gorgeous! I’m looking forward to her album. Her EP is soooooo dope! She’s a great artist and writer and I’m glad she said what she said about writing! A great song is a great song, who cares about who wrote it!!!!

• March 6, 2015 at 7:29 pm
      Lana Del Fan *I Can Hear The Sirens* says:

Sam them thighs is thick. Damn boo. Lol

2. March 5, 2015 at 8:52 am
    Snow says:

Sevyn is what the games been missing! She’s s***, she can dance, sing, write and produce! She’s already coined down and hasn’t even dropped an album! I can’t wait for the album mama! Great interview!

3. March 5, 2015 at 8:57 am
    King B (20 grammys status) says:
    +10

You betta stan bish!!! and I love the new song btw

4. March 5, 2015 at 9:05 am
    Slay_Hive says:
    +13

I just love her! Can’t wait fir the album. I still listen to her EP!

5. March 5, 2015 at 9:15 am
    Sherry says:

Sevyn slays! She’s the perfect combination of raw talent & mainstream appeal. I’m sure people will sleep on her though. *plays BANS*

6. Now Playing: Sevyn Streeter- "Don't Kill The Fun"
    March 5, 2015 at 10:58 am
    Kyle says:

Sevyn’s EP last year housed some of the best songs I’ve heard in awhile so the thought of her releasing her debut album this year is very exciting. I hope she drops it before the summer. She’s definitely destined for great things!!!

7. March 5, 2015 at 10:59 am
    BEYHIVE says:

When will Ciara?

• March 5, 2015 at 11:20 am
      FutureCIARA says:

When will she what? LMFAO, Idiot

• March 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm
      Allure says:

C’mon guys give Cici a break. What does she have to do with anything?

• March 6, 2015 at 5:58 pm
      Lana Del Fan *I Can Hear The Sirens* says:

#BeyNice. Juggling a career as a baby momma and Nocalist is stressful.

8. March 5, 2015 at 11:07 am
    TheElusiveLamb says:
    +11

With Sevyn, Teyana Taylor, Jhenè, Mila J, Tinashe, and etc., I love this new sound of R&B. I can’t wait for Sevyn’s album. I love her.

9. March 5, 2015 at 11:08 am
    FutureCIARA says:

I cannot wait for Sevyns album!!!

10. Now Playing: "He Aint With Me Now (Tho)" - Rich Girl
    March 5, 2015 at 11:25 am
    FutureCIARA says:

Bet yall didnt know that Sevyn was apart of a girl group 5years ago, that had 1-2 mediocre hits… Also ‘Brave’ from RnB Divas LA was also apart of that same group called “Rich Girl”
    …..
    Sevyn has grown so much, and Im excited for her career. Im glad she dances too! There are too many stiff bittches hogging up the scene!

• March 5, 2015 at 12:11 pm
      Allure says:

She was also apart of B2K’s sister group, TG4.

• March 5, 2015 at 12:17 pm
        FutureCIARA says:

Wow, I didnt know that, But YAAAAAAAAAAAZ

• March 5, 2015 at 12:23 pm
      TheElusiveLamb says:
      +10

I remember RichGirl, bc they opened up for Beyoncé during her I Am… Tour.

• March 5, 2015 at 1:19 pm
        FutureCIARA says:

#Facts!

11. March 5, 2015 at 11:25 am
    britneyraycarey says:

i love Sevyn. Her first album is going to be everything

12. March 5, 2015 at 11:36 am
    No favs, just here for the music says:

BANS is sooo good

can’t wait to hear more stuff from her

13. March 5, 2015 at 11:55 am
    Career Ender says:
    -11

I do not know her and won’t pay her any attention until I hear her song on radio
    bye

• March 5, 2015 at 12:08 pm
      Allure says:
      +15

Awe you’re the worst kind of consumer. Open your mind to something other than the repetitive songs on the radio….

• March 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm
      Mark111 says:

So that means you don’t know Beyonce’s last two albums. #Slap

• March 5, 2015 at 1:14 pm
        Career Ender says:

Beyoncé’s last two albums were constantly played in ALL South African radio stations
        get it right Aaliyah stan im not from djokovic city like you
        go get FFS to #1 on the hot100 , after all u said it will
        basic bìtch

• March 5, 2015 at 1:19 pm
        Mark111 says:

1) I’m American.
        2) You’re from South Africa, yet you act like you know what’s popping here in the states? No wonder when people say Bey isn’t all that, you jump up and look like a fool. The truth comes out, lol.

• March 5, 2015 at 2:14 pm
        Tyler says:

“No Wonder When People Say Beyonce Isnt All That”???
        If Beyonce isn’t all that, then neither is your fave given the fact that she’s been outselling her for the past decade #Facts.com

• March 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm
        Mark111 says:

You’re 19, the fuc you know about the history of music. WHen the greats were out, you were a decision of getting skeeted on your face, puss or the ground.

14. March 5, 2015 at 11:55 am
    SpoonfulofSugar says:

in my heart of hearts i still believe there will be at least one TGJ interview i read where Beyonce’s name isn’t mentioned.

if they interviewed the Queen of England they’d probably ask her about “Queen Beyonce”. girls please!

• March 5, 2015 at 12:09 pm
      Allure says:

Lol I agree!!! I’m a Bey fan no doubt. But sheesh….

• March 7, 2015 at 7:59 am
      Jamon says:

It’s getting ridiculous. I don’t understand their obsession with her. Why can’t they just be a fan. This interview should be about Sevyn and her music. If I was an artist I would be offended, or just wouldn’t do an interview with them knowing Beyonce name would come up. They need some type of therapy to get over their obsession.

15. March 5, 2015 at 12:05 pm
    Career Ender says:

Sam I thought we were best of friends. im trying to get the comments section going but you not allowing me.
    do you want 10 posts not reaching 100 comments in a row?
    really Sam?

• March 5, 2015 at 12:38 pm
      Absolved says:

Get a life.

• March 6, 2015 at 6:28 am
      Pat says:

You have no life at all…sad to say the least!

16. March 5, 2015 at 12:07 pm
    Allure says:

Sev’s EP is so dope from start to finish. I know her album will be dope too. DKTF is my fav song right now. It takes you on a musical journey from the house swag, to the trumpet to the trap-like bass…it sounds like nothing on the radio & it’s just an overall FUN SONG!!!! It’s good to hear something other than money, b******, n***** ain’t s*** and s**!!!

17. March 5, 2015 at 12:08 pm
    Career Ender says:

@britneyraycyrus
    I didn’t know you were Daniel the
    Prophet suddenly, how do you predict
    that?
    can you predict Robotney’s next
    album sales too?

18. Now Playing: Timbaland ft. Aaliyah - "Man Undercover"
    March 5, 2015 at 12:13 pm
    #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:

Yes Sevyn!!!!
    I can’t wait for her and Mila J’s albums. With all these record labels signing Aaliyah’s childrens to their music company, who needs a limited vocals and repetitive lack of creativity with a certain “Funky?” Bye to ALL Dineva’s boo boo. The time has shifted baby!!!! So excited with the return of female singers/dancers 😀

• March 5, 2015 at 12:19 pm
      FutureCIARA says:

SEVYN >>>>>> Tinashe

IJS

• March 5, 2015 at 12:24 pm
        #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:
        +11

All the new girls >>>>>>>>> ciara.
        Truth. 😉

• March 5, 2015 at 12:21 pm
      TheElusiveLamb says:

LMAOOOOO! That’s so shady.

• Now Playing: Space Jam by Jhené Aiko
      March 5, 2015 at 1:03 pm
      Jhené Aiko Stan says:

Lol @ Aaliyah’s children. Yall give her TOO much credit. She lived in the house that Janet Jackson built with a room in-between Ciara and Cassie.

• March 5, 2015 at 1:09 pm
        #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:

Because she deserves it and it’s the truth. Aaliyah’s swag and sound lives on through these artists. Even your fave gets compared to her. Janet had her own style and most definitely is the MOTHER to all of them but all the new girls are going the Aaliyah route.

• March 5, 2015 at 2:02 pm
        Mark111 says:

Too much credit? It’s just credit, and a clear one as that. Girls didn’t dress, moved or sounded like this untill 1994, when Aaliyah came out. Janet is Queen, but you see her influence in performance and album structure/theme. When it comes to style, rather it’s fashion, swagger, vocals or sound, it’s Aaliyah. Can’t rewrite history kids. And when it comes to that, Aaliyah is a Princess of that house.

• March 5, 2015 at 2:04 pm
        Mark111 says:

And to add, there’s a reason why people say Ciara WAS a mix of Janet AND Aaliyah and not just Janet. 🙂

• March 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm
        BeyRihLiyah says:

@mark111 not mention queen janet and Aaliyah was working on trying to collab on a duet song around the time of her death

19. March 5, 2015 at 12:24 pm
    Mark111 says:

Sevyn I need this album! Love her, a breath of fresh air.

20. March 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm
    Mark111 says:

The fact that her music sounds like nothing out there. DKTF did sound strange at first, but is now my jam. She’s pretty, down to earth, can sing, dance, write, she’s what music needs right now.

21. March 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm
    #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:

@FutureLeftCiara did your fave get a new tour to open up for? Future should be kind enough to have her open for him at ‘Kings of Diamonds’ strip club to help with child support funds.

• March 5, 2015 at 1:23 pm
      FutureCIARA says:

Not when your fave is busy booking these hole in the wall bars, deep in the hood, still pushing “2 Off”… Is Flopquarius past 20k album sales yet?

• March 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm
        #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:

What hole in the wall bars?? And “2 On” is her song nothing is wrong with her performing it on her OWN tours. And don’t STAN for sales because “I Bet” isn’t going nowhere at 6k with them weak TRY HARD vocals and tell me why Ciara can’t happen since 2007? Waits for the delusions….. hehe.

22. Now Playing: Space Jam by Jhené Aiko
    March 5, 2015 at 12:58 pm
    Jhené Aiko Stan says:

Sevyn has some pretty dope music. I feel like the influx of breakthrough female R&B singers (Jhené Aiko, K. Michelle, Tamar Braxton, Tinashe, Teyana Taylor, Natalie La Rose) has put her in a back seat. People have been sleeping on her. She needs to jump on a hot collaboration or get some promo in.

• March 5, 2015 at 1:03 pm
      #TeamTinashe Stan (All Hands On Deck Now On iTunes) says:

Her only promo is Chris Brown sadly.

• Now Playing: Space Jam by Jhené Aiko
        March 5, 2015 at 1:10 pm
        Jhené Aiko Stan says:

Tbh, none of them get the right amount of promo, save Tamar and K. Michelle who get weekly promo from tv. You’d think the recent shift to a more urban sound would cause labels to invest in their artist but it only seems true for the ones who already established a fan base.

• March 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
      Malaysia says:

Breakthrough? Kee all of them are flops. Tamar sold the most and didn’t even crack 400k. She’s in the same boat as all of them especially considering how It Won’t Stop was a top 30 hit.

23. March 5, 2015 at 1:08 pm
    Malaysia says:

Don’t kill the fun is a bop!! Looking 4ward to more material from Seven

24. March 5, 2015 at 1:51 pm
    (Rihyonce) says:

yasss Sevyn gooo Gurll !! PATIENTLY WAITING FOR THIS ALBUM !!

25. March 5, 2015 at 3:15 pm
    Carlitos says:

I want her to collaborate w/ Toni Braxton.

26. Now Playing: Glowing - Nikki Williams
    March 6, 2015 at 6:49 pm
    Randomly says:

So i just listened to “Forgiveness” by Leona Lewis and it reminded me of Beyonce’s Rocket??
    Anyway I personally do not feel that Beyonce got snubbed. My Opinion! and I wish people would stop talking about it. #GETOVERIT

• March 7, 2015 at 8:06 am
      Jamon says:

I agree. I bet Thatgrapejuice and a lot of other people out there has not listened to any of the other albums nominated for Album of the Year, but they continue to say she’s snubbed after winning 3 grammy’s. I’m not anything about her being “SNUBBED” for losing Best Urban Album to Pharell. I Wonder why that is?

• March 7, 2015 at 8:08 am
        Jamon says:

“I haven’t heard anything”

27. Now Playing: Somebody by Natalie La Rose feat. Jeremiah
    March 6, 2015 at 10:12 pm
    Rosebud (Natalie La Rose Stan) says:

Sevyn seems like a nice and genuine person. She can sing and dance too, I’m here for her!

28. March 7, 2015 at 7:42 pm
    I STAN[D] FOR TALENT says:

She looks like a jolly rancher with that tragic hair!!!! Rih got these höes inspired thinking they can pull off that hair!!! Sit DOWN HEAUX

• March 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm
      I STAN[D] FOR TALENT says:

So thatflopjuice aka thatrihannajuice has pinned this just because this random höe mentioned fleayonce! KII! Sam those rent bills must be stacking up in your studio appartment!!! SMH dumb immigrant using names for hits! Aren’t you glad I made a early return and brought my fans along with me! I keep this messy blog alive and running 🙂

• March 8, 2015 at 6:49 am
        I STAN[D] FOR TALENT says:

TROLL!!!! You’re a psycho. I love Sevyn.