Welcome to the latest edition ‘That Grape Juice A&R‘, the ‘TGJ’ original feature which sees us switch critic for creative and weigh in on the directions of our staple acts.
Who we’ve set our Evan Lipschutz-sized sights on this time? Christina Aguilera.
Since debuting in 1999, Xtina has established a success narrative that would theoretically make her an icon even if she were to never release another song.
And while that’s impressive in itself, we’re eager for new music from the 35-year-old. Especially in the wake of 2012’s ‘Lotus’ – which was was a solid album, but a diabolical “era.” Indeed, that campaign was characterised by minimal promo and questionable performances whenever they did occur. The end result, unsurprisingly, saw the LP become her worst selling yet.
Recent years have seen Aguilera assert that fresh material was on the horizon, but four years on, the ‘Lotus’ follow-up is still notable in its absence.
Is she being a “perfectionist” or is she stuck? Who knows, but if the latter we’re here to lend a helping hand.
Meet us below…
Using 11 reference tracks pulled from artists from all walks of life, here sits a tracklist compiled by TGJ that- for us- would make the perfect Christina album…now.
Theme: Big, Soulful, Analogue, Radio-Friendly
1) Jessie J, Ariana, Nicki – Bang Bang [Listen]
2) Leona Lewis – Fire Under My Feet [Listen]
3) Fantasia – End of Me [Listen]
4) Rihanna – Diamonds [Listen]
5) Alicia Keys – Fire We Make [Listen]
6 Lady Gaga – Dancin’ In Circles [Listen]
7) Adele – Send My Love (To Your New Lover) [Listen]
8) Pink – Try [Listen]
9) Christina Aguilera – Just A Fool [Listen]
10) Adele – All I Ask [Listen]
11) Leona Lewis – Thank You [Listen]
Do you agree with our picks? What would yours be?