New Songs: Janet Jackson – ‘Clap Your Hands’ & ‘What Can I Say’

Two new Janet Jackson tracks surfaced today in the form of ‘Clap Your Hands’ & ‘What Can I Say’. Both produced by ‘Crazy In Love’ supremo ‘Rich Harrison’, the songs were recorded for Janet’s criminally underrated 2004 effort ‘Damita Jo’. You can listen to both cuts below:

Clap Your Hands

Can’t say I’m liking this one at all. Having followed Ms. Jackson’s career for some time now, I know that this track had taken on a cult status of sorts, after being discussed, yet not heard not for so long. After listening to it I’m thinking it may have been better left that way – that is (left) unheard, I mean. I could barely understand a word she was saying and the production was so-so.

What Can I Say

Liking this one a little more. Still nothing album worthy here IMO.

With label drama sinking Janet’s latest effort ‘Discipline’, I’m still itching for new material from her – successful new material. If Madonna can still go out there and thrust her waist and crank out hits – there sure ain’t any reason why Janet can’t. Everything just needs to be right; here’s hoping it works out next go round.

Hit(s) or Miss(es)?

• December 16, 2008 at 2:33 pm
    jmoore says:

I agree and i am a huge Janet fan…she did another song with R.Harrison..called “put it on me” hot song. yes and Damita Jo was so under rated even though its a platinum album

• December 16, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I totally agree.
    I’m a huge Janet fan and Clap your hands sounds more like one of her b-sides “pops up”
    Not hugely keen but they may grow…

• December 16, 2008 at 3:20 pm
    T says:

maybe the mastered clap your hands would be better, the beat is okay but done enough, sounds straight anything AMERIE!! still on the other track, AMERIE, her high yelling, naah J, not this, i could prob. get into the mastered clap your hands but its been done, i’m over R. Harrison

• December 16, 2008 at 4:36 pm
    Anonymous says:

These are old tracks from the Damita Jo era. They were suppose to be unreleased but then they just leaked.

• December 16, 2008 at 6:09 pm
    Anonymous says:

feedback is so much better !!

• December 16, 2008 at 6:16 pm
    Anonymous says:

HER SONGS ARE OK AM GLAD SHE IS HAVING A CHILD AT 42 BECOUSE HER FRIST CHILD IS WRITTING A TELL ALL BOOK ABOUT HER AND THE JACKSON FAMILEY AT LAST WE WILL KNOW THE TRURTH ABOUT THM AND JANET CANY STOP HER OR DO IT LIKE HER EX SHE STOPHIM WRITTING A TELL ALL BOOK ABOUT HER. I BET SHE IS INTO WOMEN AND MEN. SHM

• December 16, 2008 at 8:28 pm
    Anonymous says:

^^ Lol What are you talking about?
    Anyway im not liking th singles too much, i can see why they weren’t released.

• December 16, 2008 at 8:30 pm
    Anonymous says:

i actually like clap my hands. Honestly i love the tone of her voice and i love janet so i enjoyed both songs.

• December 16, 2008 at 8:38 pm
    keith says:

Not crazy about either song but “Clap Your Hands” might be better mastered to provide a little more ummph rhythmically. I can see why they were shelved, though. I wish she could capture the swagger she had during that SuperBowl performance….

• December 16, 2008 at 9:24 pm
    Anonymous says:

The songs aren’t that bad, the second being better. The problem is that Janet cant sing so doesn’t really own the songs, what can i say sung bu someone else would actually be good.

• December 16, 2008 at 9:40 pm
    Anonymous says:

The first one is ok, but I really enjoyed the 2nd one.

• December 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm

• December 16, 2008 at 11:25 pm
    shannonâ™  says:

Janet can’t sing? Are you DEAF? You hit that high register and carry a vibrato! Please..upload yourself. Really, I’d like to hear you do a better job at these.

“What Can I Say?” is the better of the two IMO. She sounds gorgeous. When she really SINGS, she SANGS. Her voice is so crisp.
    I wish she’d sing like this more. Hopefully on whatever she does next.

• December 16, 2008 at 11:52 pm
    Anonymous says:

What Can I Say…I enjoyed that track better. Clap Your Hands…great title, but the song doesn’t match…I agree SAM, if Madge can still shake her romp and get a hit or two…Janet can, but let’s be honest.. Feedback hit #17 on the Billboard hot 100…not the best….but not too shabby.

• December 17, 2008 at 6:01 am
    atljanetfan says:

I like both songs…and if you read the previous posts?
    she can sing…the notes are right.
    feedback reached #1.
    this track is what amerie sounds like!
    what madonna hit lately…she hasn’t put out a real song in a LONG time. MAD-dog relies on concert tours for money not album sales. good idea-bad concerts- not worth the high price.
    LUVYA J

• December 17, 2008 at 6:12 am

Straight GARBAGE!

• December 17, 2008 at 6:54 am
    Anonymous says:

Sam: Here are links to better quality versions of the songs. While not great, they sound a lot better.

Clap Your Hands: http://www.zshare.net/audio/52863931d4d1af87/

What Can I Say?: http://www.zshare.net/audio/5286498854db7d01/

• December 17, 2008 at 7:02 am
    Ms Keia says:

Janet definitely needs to step her game up because her last few efforts haven’t been worthy of her Star Status . . . she can do so much better than this and I hope brings it . . .

• December 17, 2008 at 9:26 am
    Anonymous says:

i like both of the songs, they definitely sound like hits, but yeah u can barely hear her voice.

• December 17, 2008 at 11:38 am
    Anonymous says:

I liked both songs. The quality is not good beacuse they were never finalized. Janet does not need to prove her self to anyone, she did that a long time ago. She is and will always be an Icon!

• December 17, 2008 at 11:40 am
    Anonymous says:

BOTH OF THE SONGS ARE GARABAGE JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE BULL SHES BEEN PUTTING OUT. SHE JUST NEEDS TO HAVE THAT BABY,SIT DOWN SOMEWHERE AND LET J.D. TAKE CARE OF HER. HER LAST ALBUM WASN’T THAT BAD IT WAS JUST SINGLE CHOOSE, I MEAN JANET REALLY THOUGHT “ROCK WIT YOU” WAS GONNA REALLY BE A HIT. SHE SHOULD HAVE JUST RELEASED “LUV” I DON’T KNOW IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BIGGER THEN ” FEEDBACK” BUT IT WOULD HAVE DID BETTER THEN “ROCK WIT YOU”

• December 17, 2008 at 11:43 am
    Anonymous says:

Madonna needs to cover her self up, she is to old for that. She can’t dance nor sing. Janet looks better than her and has more talent than too!

• December 17, 2008 at 11:56 am
    Anonymous says:

I agree… she does not need to prove her self to anyone. She has already been where Beyonce, Britney, Alicia Keys and Rihanna are now. I think Janet likes what she does and at this point she just makes Albums because she can and she wants too. She for sure does not need the money! Oh yeah, also there is no one and there never will be anyone that can dance like she can!

• December 18, 2008 at 12:37 am
    switchblade says:

WHAT CAN I SAY IZ STR8 FIYAAA !!!! HER VOCALZ ARE REALLY GOOD AND U CAN UNDERSTAND EVERY WORD SHE SINGZ ON DA TRACK !!! CLAP YO HANDZ IZ GOOD TOO !!!!!

DO YO THING JANET !!!!!

• December 19, 2008 at 4:00 pm
    Anonymous says:

These songs both sound good.
    See, it was fear of labels that stopped het with Damita Jo, the biased SB incident.

And, the sorry IDJ that messed up the latest hot album, full of hits that were never sent to radio.

Janet sings better than RIHANNA, but RIHANNA is better promoted.

• December 19, 2008 at 11:22 pm
    Anonymous says:

“What can i say” is the best she’s sounded since “i get lonely”!!!! maybe even better. We can actually hear what she’s made of. I wish she would sing more songs like this instead of whispering whole albums.

I mean, some of the whisper songs are hott (Rock wit u, Discipline), but we need to hear singing every now and again. Even britney attempts to sing on her albums.

• December 21, 2008 at 9:34 am
    Vivian says:

I love it! I like the revised version, she’s a better performer than Madonna!