Alicia Keys Tops UK Album Chart

alicia album number 1 763x1024 Alicia Keys Tops UK Album Chart

Songstress Alicia Keys will be celebrating tonight; the 29 year old’s fourth studio album ‘The Element of Freedom’ climbed to the top of the Official UK Album Chart today – her first ever #1 on the tally. ‘Element’ jumped up one spot from last week to clinch the coveted position, achieving the feat after eight weeks on the chart.

The news comes on the heels of Keys’ increased presence here in the UK, which has seen her perform on several high profile television shows, exclusive industry events, as well as the announcement of her forthcoming UK arena tour.

While I can’t say the album rocked my world (I actually found it rather boring), I respect Alicia’s artistry and the fact she makes quality music (most of the time). What’s more, I’m enjoying that she’s upping the ‘entertainment’ aspect of her craft (aka not just sitting at the piano all the time) – as evidenced by her performances of  recent single ‘Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart’. More power to her.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:13 pm
    AKisdabest says:

CONGRATS ALICIA!!!! YOU DESERVE IT! GREAT ALBUM

• February 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm
    cutiegurl says:

that album is already platinum in the U.S. (for real, not certified, actually platinum)
    congrats to her!!! I love Alicia

• February 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm
    cutiegurl says:

*not just certified

• February 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm
    Boi Genius says:

CONGRATS AK!
    SHE MORE THAN DESERVE IT!
    SHE IS THE GREATEST OF OUR TIME!!!

• February 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm
    Ben says:

That album was not boring, it is great. It is true R&B music is what is is, which is what is lacking today. So glad we have artists like her left with this Beyonce world we live in today. Anyway, I am happy for her.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm
    Anthony says:

She deserves it!
    She’s platinum!!!!!
    She rocks!!

And Sam the album is NOT boring!!!
    I love it. My fave album at the moment!!!

• February 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm
    uberVU - social comments says:

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by thatgrapejuice: Alicia Keys Tops UK Album Chart http://bit.ly/a9EUDG

• February 7, 2010 at 4:20 pm
    Jasmine says:

Album was her worst ever. I’m a fan, but I actually hate this album with the exception of 2 songs.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm
    Devil's Pie says:

@Ben

You must like living in this “Beyonce World” if you brought her name up.

Congrats to Alicia. And yes she is stepping her performance skills up.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:30 pm
    blasian says:

Yeah her performances really helped her put but her album is soooooooooooooo boring

• February 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm
    Nim says:

This album is amazing!!!!!!!!

• February 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm
    blasian says:

Yeah her performances really helped her out but her album is soooooooooooooo boring.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:35 pm
    AalexisR (The Bahamas) says:

Congrats Alicia.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm
    ADE says:

congrats i guess! im just pissed i wasted money on that album and i only like two songs…i should have just downloaded that s***, thats the least she deserves for makin me waste my hard earned student loan…

• February 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm
    PhittedPhilly says:

iloved this album more than any of her others

• February 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm
    MaZ says:

FINALLY! Congrats to Alicia! She deserves it! Great Album!

• February 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm
    AC says:

Congratz! Its funny that it went #1 in the UK but this is the first time she did not reach the #1 spot on Billboard in the US.

The album is anything but boring. The majority of youngsters just want the upbeat, non-stop, recycled music that sadly makes it way to the top of the charts this days (Kesha, BEP, Beyonce, etc…). This is what we call real music.

• February 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm
    Sasha says:

Congrats to all the black beauties doing their thing Alicia is at number 1, Beyonce is at number 16, Rihanna is at number 32. They are all successful.

• February 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm
    Sasha says:

Lady Gaga an Beyonce will perform at BRIT Awards on the 16th to TeElephone. Cant wait

• February 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm
    Dave says:

That’s his opinion. Y’all are not him, if he said her album is boring (in his opinion) it is what it is. Stans/fans are too much sometimes. I’m happy for her success, great for her.

• February 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm
    OB says:

Ummmmm Sam, Alicia is signed to J Records.

• February 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm
    niki says:

Well Good for her. Not my favorite album, but i wish her and all the other folks in entertainment much success

• February 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm
    GeeMan says:

Congrats to Ms.Keys on her continued success. Though not my favorite A.Keys album the album has gems nontheless. Please release love is my disease that song is the bizness.

• February 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm
    stan says:

i’m kinda surprised she never had a #1 in the uk before. grats to her!

now if only that song is doing better in the us…

• February 7, 2010 at 8:01 pm
    Sasha says:

Alicia sold 35000 copies and end up at number 1 I didnt realise that the sales figures for uk number 1 are so low. Congrats again

• February 7, 2010 at 11:58 pm
    SOOS says:

It’s a fantastic album.

Much more better than “AS I AM”, but not as good as “The Diary of AK” :–)))

• February 8, 2010 at 1:56 am
    wtf says:

eek at 35k..i agree sam her album is a bore..NOT her best at all..i like 3 songs or so..skip through alot of the,…lmaoo at bey being higher than rihanna for an old album..hilarious…

Bey and gaga performing telephone??? this is gonna be huge..go ladies!!!

• February 8, 2010 at 2:15 am
    anon says:

just goes to show. you don’t have to be a w**** to get them number one albums :)

• February 8, 2010 at 5:17 am
    Renae says:

CONGRATS!!! Haven’t heard the album, only the 2 songs they play on the air.

• February 8, 2010 at 6:52 am
    Ashley V. says:

Congratulaions to Alicia Keys. She is a favourite of mine. I’m surprised this is her only UK no. 1 album so far. The previous albums were great. Maybe this speaks volumes of the taste of the British public or a lack thereof. I don’t have the album, but I have heard it. I’ll try to listen to it again so that it grows on me.

• February 8, 2010 at 7:19 am
    MushyLove_1992 says:

When your a great artist it shows. What can I say? Congrats Alicia! You deserve it…

• February 8, 2010 at 8:27 am
    Sasha says:

that Alicia reign just wont let up

• February 8, 2010 at 9:00 am
    koko says:

Congrats to her, you can tell she is working on her performances and is doing great. She definetely feels free this time around.

• February 8, 2010 at 9:09 am
    koko says:

With her album being out 9 weeks, 8 of those were spent at # 1 on Billboard R&B. She debuted at #1 then the next week went to #2 because of Mary J but the very next week went right back to #1 and stayed there for several weeks despite new releases. All of that is from only having two singles out. Thats called true artistry. Also the song she did with Alejandro Sanz ‘Looking for Paradise’ spent nine weeks at #1 on the Latin Billboard Charts and of course duet with Jay Z spent 5 weeks at #1 on Billboard Hot 100 and Rap. She is doing her thing and I am happy for her. The 3rd single whatever it is should only makes thing get better.

• February 8, 2010 at 9:18 am
    Sasha says:

@KOKO true artistry indeed and u never hear here talking about how successful she is. that Alicia reign just won let up. Cant wait till tomorrow ALL ABOUT SADE trent and Sam please do a constructive article on Sade next year I see Sade and Alicia owning the GRAMMYS

• February 8, 2010 at 9:22 am
    Sasha says:

GRAMMYS 2011

ALICIA will be nominated in Female R&B, R&b Song, R&B album, Rap/Sung Collabo, Rap Song, Record of the Year, Song of the Year(Empire state) – 7noms

SADE Female R&B, R&B song, R&B album, Record,Song and Album of the Year 6 noms

• February 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm
    MushyLove_1992 says:

@Sasha

Good for Ms. Alicia and Sade. I just love their styles. Without a doubt one of a kind…

• February 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm
    KIM says:

Congrats Alicia!! U deserve it and I luv the album. Can’t wait til I see your concert in April.