New Song: Ashanti – ‘That’s What We Do (ft. R. Kelly)’

ashanti thats what we do thatgrapejuice e1349183082603 New Song: Ashanti   Thats What We Do (ft. R. Kelly)

After Ashanti‘s last single ‘The Woman You Love’ failed to jump start her comeback campaign, the one-time INC songstress has tapped R. Kelly for its follow-up ‘That’s What We Do’.

Set to feature on the 31 year old’s fifth studio album ‘Braveheart’, the track – which premiered moments ago – has also been made available on iTunes.

Is it worth a buy? Listen and decide after the jump…

Now this is more like it!

For despite smelling like it was snatched straight out of 2005, the song not only sounds like an (Urban) hit, it also serves as a great roadmap to the lane Ashanti could and should be playing in at this point of her career (see: cute, hook-heavy R&B cuts that’ll ensure she stays relevant in the Urban arena).

Indeed, Ms. Douglas needn’t look further than the career gravestones of those who spent years chasing the brand of superstardom enjoyed by the Beyonce‘s and Rihanna‘s with little to show for it to know that  she’s on the right path with tracks like this. As such, her next move should be to cultivate a body of work in this vein and generate a concrete promotional plan to support it.

For, a common misconception of the Independent route she’s taking is that one is guaranteed to make bank by simply cutting out the major label overheads. Of course, that’s a possibility, but only if the artist actually releases good records that folk will want to buy in the first place. A lesson we’re sure she learnt the hard way with her last single.

Here’s wishing her better luck with this, as she and Kells nailed it.

• October 2, 2012 at 8:41 am
    Lax says:

Daaaaaaam Ashanti looks Fierce as all get out, and i like
    Respect Her Hustle a lot.

mobwife: TeamBreezy Dreamin' Replied:

I love her hair!! I hope she brings it hard with this next CD! This song is nice IMO!

• October 2, 2012 at 8:44 am
    Lax says:

They sound Reallllly great together..This will be a Hit at all of
    the Family Get togethers and all of the Juke Joints and can
    be played down town/up town!

• October 2, 2012 at 8:46 am
    Trason says:

I like it. Sounds a little like the last single, but I can see it in the top 20 on the R&B charts.

• October 2, 2012 at 8:59 am
    christinastherealtalent says:

Yes indeed. I liked The Woman You Love but this song is just the umph she needs on the R&B chart. It may be a moderate hit on other Billboard charts but nonetheless Ashanti should push this as the new lead single. Sadly enough, my teenage years was the era in which the likes of Brandy, Monica, Ashanti, etc…all ruled every billboard chart there was and because now its dance pop reigning it, they may never make a full recovery and reclaim that supreme status they had 10 years ago!

By the way, did anybody hear a little Woman You Love and R Kelly Radio influence in this song? I love it!

• October 2, 2012 at 9:15 am
    Chey says:

I like this her voice really matured!!!! some real r&b ..grown folk feel

• October 2, 2012 at 9:41 am
    spokentruth says:

Yes I so love this song after hearing it the first time around.

• October 2, 2012 at 9:44 am
    shay says:

Through the storm, through the rain!!

Yeah I am really loving this..you can play it for the young and the old folks and not be embarrassed. Everybody will be nodding their heads to it.

• October 2, 2012 at 9:48 am
    caramelboi says:

Yesssssss ashanti and kells dis is one of the best r&b songs I have heard all year. They did their thang…….dis should be a big hit. Plzzzz no hating comments bcuz dis is the jam and Idk how many times I’ve listened to it. I actually thought twyl wuz ok and I liked no greater as well. I want her,ciara,christina,and brandy to win so bad.

• October 2, 2012 at 10:05 am
    ASIA says:

She writes great songs, but doesn’t execute them well with her juvenile voice.

• October 2, 2012 at 10:29 am
    Monstarebel says:

She’s still trying……hang it TF up xo

Ren Replied:

f*****.

Da_One Replied:

You hang it up hating ass punk b****, WTF are u doing with your life again? Oh yeah hating on someone else!

• October 2, 2012 at 10:34 am
    jefffffffff says:

this is the ashanti i loooove

• October 2, 2012 at 10:38 am
    credits says:

Production is on point, and an r. kelly collaboration means she is putting her money into this. Hopefully she earns this back and then some.

• October 2, 2012 at 10:44 am
    B Lamont says:

I like this

• October 2, 2012 at 10:53 am
    Casual says:

Better than previous efforts over the last few years, it’s a good song, but I’m not sure it’s THE song to re-ignite her career.

• October 2, 2012 at 11:09 am
    fan says:

Ashanti has not sold her soul thats way she couldnt stay on top and had to get away from the evil music industry.

Great Song.

• October 2, 2012 at 11:12 am
    kevin says:

This is a good song. What she needs to NOT do is just release the song to radio and just hope the song is a hit, she needs to force it down our throats and make huge rounds on radio and other urban formats. DUH

• October 2, 2012 at 11:23 am
    aishaaguilerakeys says:

Much better. All that’s missing is a decent vid to accompany the song.

• October 2, 2012 at 11:45 am
    _yezir says:

Yesssss!!!!!! I LOVE this.

• October 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    Allegedly Superficial says:

I can dig it, And im GLAD she steppd up those EXTREMELY TIRED ass vocal cuz baby thats why that career flopd (…..ALLEGEDLY!) NO SHADE BUT THIS SOUNDS GOOD IM IN SHOCK I THINK THATS WHY IM FEELIN IT IDK……NEVERTHERLESS GOOD READ. . .I SEE THAT RUMORED KEYSHIA COLE COLLABO GOT HER ON THAT BREAK-UP MAKE-UP and everything in between MuSIC! LOL whateva. do ya thang miss nelly.

• October 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    IDK says:

She’s Baaaaaaaaack!! Good song for the fall/winter. I picture the setting being in the winter time for her video.

• October 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm
    my hip, my back says:

“despite smelling like it was snatched straight out of 2005″
    shade

It sounds good.. (won’t be purchasing this track though)

• October 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    jaiyah says:

I likey, sounds good

• October 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm
    Haw says:

2012 fall and winter
    Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Ashanti, Brandy, Alicia Keys, Faith Evans,etc.
    Wow, All R RnB Stars !!!
    RnB is on !! love it love them all !!!

• October 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm
    CzarM says:

For despite smelling like it was snatched straight out of 2005″

The f***? How do you figure? Please describe what ‘snatched straight out of 2005′ sounds like, because I’m curious. Jaded and shady comments like that do nothing to help.

That being said…

I’m not head over heels in love with it, but it’s solid. Much moreso than the other music she’s been testing. Now Ashanti needs to find a major distributor, because E1 Music ain’t gonna do s*** for her.

• October 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm
    mobwife: TeamBreezy Dreamin' says:

Wow Ashanti’s VOCALS ARE ON POINT!

I’m going to need her to produce an instant classic like her 1st CD. Or perhaps that’s like trying to catch lightening in a bottle? 0_o… But I can hope! :-)

This is nice!! Go Astanti & Kelz!

• October 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm
    mobwife: TeamBreezy Dreamin' says:

And let me ADD: Ashanti does not need to seek the fame of a Beyonce or a Rihanna! We understand that there is more thacomprising the success of both women than meets the eye so stop playing game! Both Bey & Rih have been elevated for various reasons!

ANYWAY, do your thang Ashanti!

• October 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm
    lola says:

Ashanti’s vocals are on point? This song is hot? WTF are you guys smoking? The vocals are annoying as hell and Ashanti and R. Kelly are trying too hard. Ashanti has a weak ass voice! Her lower register is horrible and you can tell pitch correction was used a lot. R.Kelly… that child m******* needs to burn in hell. LOL… I can’t believe people are actually saying it will do well. It sounds like an album filler and like it was recorded in 2003.

Orlando Replied:

im sorry but i have to agree with u i said the same thing filler, dryness, no production value whatsoever just dry. 2003 maybe even 2002.

• October 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm
    - says:

solid r&b track…hope it does well!

• October 2, 2012 at 10:45 pm
    ELIJAH says:

FLOPPED AND WILL BE DROPPED (FROM HER OWN LABEL) LMAO BUT CUTE SONG BUT WON’T EVEN REACH 200 ON THE ITUNES CHARTS OR EVEN 100 ON R&B CHARTS AND LETS NOT TALK ABOUT THE BILLBOARD 100 HONEY

LDC Replied:

Are pre or post OP? So damn gay.

• October 3, 2012 at 7:09 pm
    HOWYOULIKEIT says:

i thought about alicia keys’ wreckless love

• October 4, 2012 at 12:18 am
    IKNOWTHETRUTH says:

All of her single covers have been better than her album cover. That’s a huge problem. Since she pushed the album date back like a year, she should come with a new album cover.

[...] warming up chops for promotions of her upcoming LP ‘Braveheart’, see the ‘That’s What We Do’ diva show ATL exactly how she does [...]