Tyler Perry continues to silence his naysayers with success that cannot be denied.
The Atlanta-based actor/screen-writer saw his latest effort ‘Good Deeds’ generate $16 Million at the box office on its first weekend. A figure meaty enough to secure the flick, which also stars Gabrielle Union, Phylicia Rashad, and Thandie Newton, the #2 slot.
And while it’s worth noting that Perry’s ‘Madea’ movies are renown for opening with $20 Million (double its average production cost), ‘Deeds’ has indeed held up well, given that it doesn’t feature the much-loved matriarch.
More power to Tyler. We just hope this success helps facilitate a new, more varied array of movies under his corporate umbrella.
In any cas, peep this week’s US box office chart below, via The YBF:
1. Act of Valor, Relativity/Bandito Brothers, $24.7 million
2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds, Lionsgate, $16 million
3. Journey 2, New Line/Warner Bros., $13.5 million, $76.7 million
4. Safe House, Universal, $11.4 million, $98.1 million
5. The Vow, Screen Gems/Spyglass, $10 million, $103 million
6. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Sony/Hyde Park, $8.8 million, $37.9 million
7. This Means War, $8.5 million, $33.6 million
8. Wanderlust, Universal, $6.6 million
9. Gone, Summit, $5 million
10. The Secret World of Arrietty, Disney/Studio Ghibli, $4.5 million, $14.7 million