In the September of 2000, Christina Aguilera made her way to the hearts of Spanish music lovers with her second studio album ‘Mi Reflejo‘, a Spanish speaking effort that was certified Platinum in Mexico and Argentina.
In the August of 2007, her Sony sister Beyonce stepped into the same territory with the launch of ‘Irreemplazable’, an EP which served up Spanish remixes of the smash hit singles ‘Listen’, ‘Beautiful Liar’ and the original song ‘Amor Gitano.‘
This year, R&B singer Elijah Blake has teased something similar, revealing that he intends to honour his Creole roots by recording and releasing a French bop!
Full story below…
In an interview with ‘Dash Radio’, the ‘Black Whiskey‘ singer revealed that his Dominican and Haitian heritage now sees him understand Spanish and speak French.
Only right then, after his debut EP ‘Bijoux 22‘ pulled in 15 million streams after its December 2012 release, that he pays respect to his heritage with an original French number.
Hit the 13 minute mark…
Doing so wouldn’t be such a bad idea should he seek support from French radio.
For in 1994, the French government enforced the ‘Touban Law’, mandating the use of the nation’s language in all publications, commercials, workplaces and commercial contracts.
How this affected radio? A great deal, as a related law which forces French radio to ensure their playlists consists of no less than 40% French speaking jams, forcing non-French speaking acts to compete to make it into the remaining 60%.
With this in mind, we ask…