R. Kelly, the R&B singer accused of molesting several African-American minors (the late Aaliyah and his own goddaughter included) has woken up to more bad news this morning.
For, after his lawyer, publicist and assistant kicked him to the curb, the ageing performer has learned that a league of altruistic celebrities have joined forces to finish him once…and for all.Array
Good news below…
We join the call to #MuteRKelly and insist on the safety + dignity of all women. We demand investigations into R. Kelly’s abuse allegations made by women of color + their families for two decades. We call on those who profit from his music to cut ties. #MuteRKelly #TIMESUP #WOC https://t.co/RTco2ZeetZ
— shonda rhimes (@shondarhimes) April 30, 2018
Horrified by his sickening acts, black men and women within Hollywood teamed up to pen the open letter below with hopes doing so would put an end to his filth and encourage victims of sexual abuse to reclaim the power and expose their abusers.
To Our Fellow Women of Color:
We see you. We hear you. Because we are you.
For too long, our community has ignored our pain. The pain we bear is a burden that too many women of color have had to bear for centuries. The wounds run deep.
As Women of Color within Time’s Up, we recognize that we have a responsibility to help right this wrong. We intend to shine a bright light on our WOC sisters in need. It is our hope that we will never feel ignored or silenced ever again.
The recent court decision against Bill Cosby is one step towards addressing these ills but it is just a start. We call on people everywhere to join with us to insist on a world in which women of all kinds can pursue their dreams free from sexual assault, abuse and predatory behavior.
To this end, today we join an existing online campaign called #MuteRKelly.
Over the past 25 years, the man known publicly as R. Kelly has sold 60 million albums, toured the globe repeatedly, and accumulated hundreds of millions of plays on radio and streaming services.
During this time, he also…
- Married a girl under 18 years of age (Aaliyah’s family did not give him permission to do so despite reports published by some media outlets)
- Was sued by at least 4 women for sexual misconduct, statutory rape, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, and furnishing illegal drugs to a minor;
- Was indicted on 21 counts of child pornography;
- Has faced allegations of sexual abuse and imprisonment of women under threats of violence and familial harm;
Together, we call on the following corporations and venues with ties to R. Kelly to join us and insist on safety and dignity for women of all kinds:
- RCA Records – The venerable music label currently produces and distributes R. Kelly’s music;
- Ticketmaster – The popular ticketing system is currently issuing tickets for R. Kelly’s show on May 11;
- Spotify and Apple Music – The popular streaming platforms currently monetizing R. Kelly’s music;
- Greensboro Coliseum Complex – The venue is currently hosting an R. Kelly concert on May 11.
The scars of history make certain that we are not interested in persecuting anyone without just cause. With that said, we demand appropriate investigations and inquiries into the allegations of R. Kelly’s abuse made by women of color and their families for over two decades now. And we declare with great vigilance and a united voice to anyone who wants to silence us – their time is up.
Together, We Are Strong,
WOC | TIME’S UP
He is yet to respond.