Pink will be adding another achievement to her mantel this month. Because it’s been announced that the airborne performer will be the recipient of the ICON Award at the Billboard Music Awards 2021.
Full story below…
Organizers for the May 23 event trumpeted the news moments ago, citing the fact the singer more than exceeds the criteria – which mandates that honorees have achieved excellence on the Billboard charts and made a major impact on music more broadly.
Pink will join an elite list of names to have been bestowed the honor. Previous winners include Janet Jackson, Prince, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Cher, Jennifer Lopez, and Garth Brookes.
Reacting to the announcement, Pink said in a statement:
“As a little girl, I always dreamed about being a singer and sharing my love of music with the world. Years later, to receive the Billboard Music Awards Icon Award is hard to fathom! I feel so honored to join the ranks of music idols like Cher, Garth Brooks, Janet Jackson and Stevie Wonder. It’s a true ‘pinch me’ moment and I feel humbled and blessed.”
- She has a longstanding relationship with the Billboard Charts, spanning 22 years.
- She has tallied 33 career entries on the Billboard Hot 100, including 15 top 10s and four No. 1s: ‘Lady Marmalade’ with Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim and Mya, in 2001; ‘So What” in 2008; ‘Raise Your Glass’ in 2010; and ‘Just Give Me a Reason’ featuring Nate Ruess, in 2013.
- She has accumulated eight Top 10 albums on the Billboard 200 chart, with her last three albums debuting at No. 1 (Hurts 2B Human in 2019, Beautiful Trauma in 2017, and The Truth About Love in 2012). Pink also reached the No. 1 spot on the Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts with her collaboration with Kenny Chesney ‘Setting the World On Fire.’
- Pink’s ‘Beautiful Trauma’ World Tour (2018-2019) became the highest-grossing tour by a woman in the 2010s and the second highest-grossing tour by a woman in Boxscore history and received Billboard Magazine’s Legend of Live and Tour of the Year Awards in 2019.
- Pink was Billboard Magazine’s Woman of the Year in 2013.
The news adds to a packed plate of activity for Pink, who will be releasing her new single ‘All I Know So Far’ (due May 7). Her like-titled Amazon Prime Video documentary and companion live album both arrive on May 21.
The 2021 BBMAs airs May 23 at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC.