Days after cell phone-filmed footage of the death of an unarmed Black man, George Floyd, went viral on social media and incited three days of riots in his hometown Minneapolis, the officer directly responsible for his untimely passing – Derek Chauvin – has been arrested and officially charged with third degree murder and manslaughter.
The official announcement inside:
BREAKING: Derek Chauvin, one of four former officers fired for involvement in George Floyd’s death, has been charged with murder and manslaughter, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announces. https://t.co/70BeNIjMHL pic.twitter.com/XVrvNFw2IA
— ABC News (@ABC) May 29, 2020
The charges, announced by Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, come just a day after he took to press to say there was evidence that suggested no criminal activity at all.
“That’s less than four days,” Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said. “That’s extraordinary. We have never charged a case in that time frame.”
Earlier on Friday (May 29), Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D) said in an emotional news conference that the unrest that has destabilized Minneapolis and St. Paul this week is the result of ‘generations of pain, of anguish’ over racism in policing.
“Their voices went unheard, and now generations of pain is manifesting itself in front of the world,” Walz said. “And the world is watching.”
Despite responding to pressure from citizens around the country – including the city’s mayor Jacob Frey (as we reported here) – Freeman did not specify what charges (if any) would be brought against the other three officers connected to incident who, like Chauvin, were fired from the precinct as a result.
Click here to read more.