Video: Janelle Monae Performs On ‘So You Think You Can Dance’

shares
janelle monae 1 e1278527332733 Video: Janelle Monae Performs On So You Think You Can Dance

Burgeoning star Janelle Monae brought her unique brand of funk to the So You Think You Can Dance stage last night. Check out the performer’s stunning live rendition of ‘Tightrope’ below…

Awesome! It’s great to see light being shone on true talent. Here’s hoping all this acclaim Monae is on the receiving end of as of late translates into commercial success too.

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

• Nicki is queen!!!

Nicki is queen!!! (25)

• truth (icki is the QWEEN OF PUSHBACK!! Iggy got her scuured honey. #IckiAFlop)

truth (icki is th... (20)

• RICHIE_RICH

RICHIE_RICH (19)

• Sherry

Sherry (18)

1. August 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm
    MB says:

OMG!!!! I’m sooo proud of her, I could cry!!!

I’ve been riding for her since day one, and although I believed in her, I never thought she would be on shows like this or No.1 trending topic on Twitter!!!

2. August 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm
    royalkev says:

It’s something very annoying about her!

3. August 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm
    The AlexanderTG says:

@ROYALKEV
    What is annoying about her? Think she’s great!

4. August 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm
    The AlexanderTG says:

@ROYALKEV
    You didn’t say what was annoying about her

5. August 6, 2010 at 3:56 pm
    thekiddz says:

LOVE HER!

I wish her much success “Do you mind? If I play the ukulele, Just like a little lady”

6. August 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm
    KM says:

@ROYALKEV, Why post anything negative about true talent? You’re such a hater – lol, grow up. Hating on talent has BEEN out of style. Hating on a God given gift is like hating on God.

Grow up chile, Janelle Monae ROCKED it!!!!

7. August 6, 2010 at 4:20 pm
    DD says:

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO SO FUN!!!! she killed it and made me dance at work!!!!!!!!!!

8. August 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm
    Dev says:

Although i like her albums/music. This whole android this is getting on my nerves

9. August 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm
    Robier says:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!!!!!! NOW THATS NICE. AND FRESH

10. August 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm
    RIH~LUV says:

Camp Fenty we’re on a mission! Please join me and RihannaDaily to have Rihanna release “G4L” and “Fire Bomb” as dual singles.
    Sign the Rihanna Petition at

11. August 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm
    RIH~LUV says:

Sign the Rihanna Petition at

12. August 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm
    Waddie G. says:

It’s ok…She’s been having this style for the last five years. Many of you are JUST NOW noticing her. She SWAGGA JACKED Andre 3000’s style.

13. August 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm
    True Blue says:

^^^ So André once had the habit of wearing only tuxedos? I didn’t know that…

Anyway, did anyone else notice her voice sounded oddly squeaky in this performance? Nonetheless, she’s a great performer, and I’m starting to get mad at Diddy for not promoting her more.

14. August 6, 2010 at 5:59 pm
    FreshUrbanEnt says:

THIS IS PROB THE BEST PERFORMANCE I’VE SEEN HER DO OF THIS SONG. SHE REALLY DESERVES ALL THE SUCESS THAT IS COMING HER WAY.

CHECK OUT MY NEW ENTERTAINMENT SITE >>> http://WWW.FRESHURBANENT.CO.UK

15. August 6, 2010 at 6:23 pm
    royalkev says:

@KM… well, she’s annoying! I didn’t check it out her performance to hate on her. I was being objective, it’s just that I didn’t care for what I saw! It happens! Maybe, I’ll like something else she has to offer. Although, I seriously doubt it! :)

16. August 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm
    smartee says:

Yet another amazing performance from this talented young woman! She is definitely the BEST URBAN/BLACK performer out right now and is ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMERS of today. I’m glad she’s not shaking her a** or lace front wig and long hair weave in her performances or dressing in kooky outfits and using shock factors to “wow” the crowd. I just love how alive her performances are! She has so much energy, sass, class, and stage presence. I’m not really a fan of her music, but I absolutely love her performances and respect her craft!

17. August 6, 2010 at 6:43 pm
    smartee says:

Oh and, she’s a very intelligent woman, that’s exactly why she’s making sure she gets her own publicity separate from Diddy/Bad Boy, but she needs to leave his a** ASAP! If she didn’t have her own people, her a** wouldn’t even have released an album or performance on mainstream shows but she needs a much better label who’s going to market her to a larger crowd. She’s a legend in the making.

18. August 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm
    Val says:

@ Smartee

LOL. Yeah, even Diddy said on Twitter that she hates when he promotes her. XD

But yes, she’s *very* smart, and not just intellectually. God-given talent. And a future LEGEND. She’s going to be around for a really long time. This woman deserves all the accolades and success coming her way.

19. August 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm
    TonyP2210 says:

I’m tired of this look ..but hey she is saving money….but I know she will get dropped after all this promo and no album sales …no one is checking for this chick

20. August 6, 2010 at 7:11 pm
    EXPOSED says:

TERRIFIC!!!! JAMES BROWN REINCARNATED. FINALLY AN ACT THAT KEPT ME ON THE EDGE OF THE SEAT.

QUESTION, WHEN IS SHE COMING OUT A LESBO?? JUST ASKIN… *SNICKER*

21. August 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm
    The AlexanderTG says:

Not sure about sales, but I’m in Europe right now and this album is everywhere – even like tiny supermarkets in villages way up in the mountains.

22. August 6, 2010 at 7:51 pm
    True Blue says:

^^^ Real music fans care about the music, idiots on the other hand care about a musician’s personal life, which is irrelevant to their work.

You ain’t giving Dave Chapelle a run for his money, so pick more original material the next time you want to garner laughs.

23. August 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm
    DeE says:

Yup……know yall had to notice the JB moves

24. August 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm
    TheTallTreeGuy says:

When she come on the So You Think You Can Dance show last night, all conversation in the room stopped……simply stopped. WOW And this was group of 45-55 year old people who had stunned smiles on their faces, listening and watching her. What a talent! More! More! More! PLEASE! lol

25. August 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm
    AlexanderTG says:

@TRUE BLUE
    Entirely agree

26. August 6, 2010 at 9:03 pm
    The AlexanderTG says:

Why don’t any of my post appear – this is way annoying!

27. August 6, 2010 at 10:06 pm
    NUNYA says:

I also say she swagger jacked Andre 3000, just look at her. Anyway i said this on another site a while ago, shes going to get nominated for some grammys. Shes not my cup of tea, I like when people are different but in this case it dont work for me.

28. August 6, 2010 at 11:59 pm
    JAZ0195 says:

We need more real talent in the indusry instead of non singing women who only get on stage shake their a** pop their c******.

29. August 7, 2010 at 2:58 am
    PLAIN AND SIMPLE says:

Great Job

30. August 7, 2010 at 6:38 am
    childboo says:

THERES ABSOLUTLY NOTHING ANNOYING ABOUT THIS WOMEN SHE SO TALENT YOU HAVE TO BE A DAMN FOOL NOT TO LIKE HER

#TIGHTROPE

31. August 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm
    greg g says:

AMAZING

32. August 27, 2010 at 7:42 am
    S. Alexandryte says:

Now that’s true talent that is needed in this ‘everyone wants to be whatever’ kind of world. Yeah to J Monae!

33. October 9, 2010 at 9:37 pm
    GrizzlChin says:

I have to agree with RoyalKev. There is something incredibly annoying about her. Not only that, but I have seen a few of her performances on TV and she barely sings loud enough to register. I don’t find her James Brown rip-off routine either brilliant or flattering, I think it’s just riding the coat-tails of real talent to get noticed. There is definitely not enough originality in entertainment today and she is a second-class talent-show participant.

And those of you who are going to rip on me for making my own personal observation, this is the business she chose. You are not guaranteed success in anything and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Just because I don’t agree with you, doesn’t make you right and me wrong or vice versa.

34. December 7, 2011 at 2:07 am