Just a week after Ariana Grande‘s ‘Side to Side’ co-star Nicki Minaj made history with her first Hot 100 #1 single, the Doja Cat-led ‘Say So’ (as we reported here), the GRAMMY winner has followed suit courtesy of her latest hit, ‘Stuck With U.’
As we reported here, the Justin Bieber-shared song debuted at #1 on this week’s Billboard Hot 100 – much to the dismay of rapper 6ix9ine. What is certain to anger him more is the number of records broken in the wake of the tune’s crowning.
Look inside to see 7 ways the ‘7 Rings’ hitmaker shook up the charts this week:
In the month since we published an ode to the only songs in history to debut at #1 on the Hot 100 (click here to read), that list has expanded by two with Travis Scott & Kid Cudi‘s ‘The Scotts’ as well as ‘Stuck’ being the latest. The accomplishment made Biebs and Ari the latest to respectively see three of their career singles premiere atop the tally – a feat previously boasted by Mariah Carey and Drake only.
However, Ariana is a unique case among the exclusive class. See why below:
1. “Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number”
- At the ripe age of 26-years-old, Grande is the youngest artist to see three of her singles debut at #1 on the Hot 100 (‘7 Rings,’ ‘thank u, next,’ and ‘Stuck With U’).
2. “Speed Racer”
- Grande accrued her three #1s the fastest – setting the record for fastest accumulation of three #1 debuts on the Billboard Hot 100. Crossing the finish line in 18 months, Ari bests the previous record-holder Carey (who accomplished the feat in 24 months).
3. “First Thing’s First”
- Ariana is the only artist in history to see her first three chart-toppers debut at #1 on the Hot 100.
4. “Back to Back”
- Grande’s ascent to #1 this week makes her the first artist in history to see her first three #1 hits accrued in succeeding years – ‘thank u, next’ (2018),’ ‘7 Rings’ (2019), and ‘Stuck With U’ (2020). This feat is not to be confused with Janet Jackson‘s ‘Rhythm Nation’ win – which stands as the first and only album to land a different #1 hit over three consecutive calendar years.
5. “Another One” *DJ Khaled voice*
- In addition to being the only artist to see her first three #1 hits accrued in succeeding years, she’s the only artist to debut any song at #1 in three consecutive years. Again, this feat is not to be confused with Janet Jackson‘s ‘Rhythm Nation’ win – which stands as the only album to land a different #1 hit over three consecutive calendar years.
6. “It Takes Two”
- ‘Stuck With U’ is the first and only male-female duet in history to debut at #1 on the Hot 100. While others have been credited to multiple artists (i.e. ‘I’ll Be Missing You’ by Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, and 112), ‘Stuck’ is the only co-billed co-ed hit to premiere atop the chart. The honor of first #1 debut duet goes to The Scotts (Travis and Kid Cudi), who are both billed on their hit – ‘The Scotts.’
7. “Who Needs Streaming?”
- Thanks to a “variety sale” that allowed fans to purchase cassettes, CDs, and vinyl singles (each accompanied with a digital download), ‘Stuck’ sold over 108,000 copies in pure sales its premiere week. It is the first song of the decade to do so.
Fun fact: ‘Stuck With U’ – a philanthropic effort designed to support the The First Responders Children’s Foundation – is the third “charity single” in history to debut at #1 following Katy Perry‘s ‘Part of Me’ (which donated parts of its profits to the MusiCares organization) and Elton John‘s ‘Something About the Way You Look Tonight/Candle in the Wind’ (which pushed proceeds toward some of Princess Diana‘s charities).
It is the first duet charity single to debut at #1.