Honesty Is The Best Policy
Well guys, this one has been a long time coming…
Since starting That Grape Juice back in February 2007, I kinda made a conscious effort to strictly keep the site and what is going on in “Sam’s world” as separate as possible. This was (and is) for a number of reasons; most important, however, is what I feel is the need to keep the focus on the content of the site and site branding, as opposed to plugging myself. Over the last 2 and a half years, I feel I have managed to do that and I’m *very very very* proud of what the site is and continues to stand for. Hence, I feel no way in saying I know I have on my hands one of the best Urban blogs on the net!
However, I’d be deceiving myself, and you guys, if I said I wasn’t aware of the fact that over the last few months things just haven’t been how they once were. So without wallowing in the dramatics, let me step out from behind the shadows as such and clue you guys up on what’s been happening.
I launched That Grape Juice back in 2007 during my first year as an Undergraduate at Brunel University (brap! LOL). Since then, much of which is due to you all, I’ve seen the site sky rocket to heights I would have never imagined – celebrity fans, interviews, International recognition and all that good stuff. What’s more, That Grape Juice has opened so many doors for me professionally and personally. Without going off the point though, I’ve seen all of this happen while I’ve been doing my thing with the studies. However, as I’m sure all my fellow students will know, with my final year having kicked off in October last year, it really meant I had to amp up things on the academic side because ‘I don’t do failure’ LOL. Consequently, the site, while still maintaining an overall high quality in content (interviews etc), saw lesser posts and whatnot. So while you were probably thinking ‘WTF is Sam doing?’, I was probably cranking out essays last minute while high on Red Bull, Lucozade, and Pro Plus LOL. So, it can be really hard hearing from some of you, things like: ‘Where the hell is such and such interview’ or ‘Sam, you’re slacking’. It’s more than cool though, as I: a) understood the bigger picture and b) understand that people will only go on the information they have, which in this case was very little LOL.
What does this all mean in the grand scheme of things, then? Well, with University now completed as of last week (Randomness: I finally turned 21 last week too!..on the same day as my younger sister, weird ey?), it’s back to business – and by that I mean it. Though That Grape Juice was started out of my love for Urban Pop Culture, its success and the thousands of visitors we receive daily, mean I have a responsibility to deliver the very best. So, with that said, you can look forward to some exciting things in the in weeks and months ahead:
* New Bloggers: We are actively looking for new bloggers to join the That Grape Juice team. Off head, I’d say there are probably two places open – an Assistant Reporter and a dedicated Music (Album) Reviewer (or are there any other roles you feel you could fill? Let me know). There is a slight preference for bloggers who currently or have in the past blogged on other Urban Pop Culture sites – this is for practicality purposes i.e. usage of blogging platforms, knowledge of reliable sources etc. It goes without saying, but a majorly in-depth knowledge of Urban Pop Culture is essential, as is a high level of English. If you feel you’re up to the job, drop me an email at: [email protected] (Positions have a qualitative pay-off, as opposed to a monetary one LOL)
* A Move From Blogger to WordPress: Though many of you may not know the implications of this, you will LOL. In a nutshell, it means the site will be taken to the next level look-wise very soon. Also, That Grape Juice will be much more interactive.
* More Great Interviews: We already have some press time with some of your favourite artists in the coming month. So watch this space! (They will be up ASAP as well LOL)
* More Competitions: We are continuing to build great working relationships with many a company, which means we are in a position to run more competitions to win things you, as That Grape Juice readers, will love.
As well as all of this, you should expect all the things which have made That Grape Juice your Urban Pop Culture mainstay on the net.
Thank you so so so much for your continued support; and remember…
Keep it locked on That Grape Juice!
Drop any comments, suggestions in the comments section…
BET Sound Off captured this footage from the Def Jam showcase last night…
Review in a bit…
In the meanwhile…
What do you think of the video?
Beyoncé is releasing a new remix album and DVD collection on June 16 called Above and Beyoncé Video Collection and Dance Mixes – and PEOPLE.com has your first look at the cover art.
Among the tracks included on the collection is a remix of her song “Ego” featuring a guest appearance by Kanye West. “The song is fun,” says Beyoncé. “It talks about someone being very confident and having this swagger when they walk and when they talk.”
As for nabbing West, well, Beyoncé says the rapper – known for his outsized personality – was a good match. Recounting her conversation with West, Beyoncé says he agreed to do it, telling her, ” ‘Okay, so you have a song about an ego and you want me on the record?’ He’s like, ‘I love it. I’ll do it.’ ”
Above and Beyoncé will be available at Wal-Mart everywhere and J&R Music stores in New York City beginning June 16.
Check out the official tracklist for the set below:
1. “If I Were a Boy” 5:03
2. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” 3:20
3. “Halo” 3:44
4. “Diva” 4:06
5. “Broken-Hearted Girl” 4:31
6. “Ego” (Fan Exclusive) 3:56
7. “Ego” (Remix Feat. Kanye West) 4:47
8. Behind the Scenes
1. “If I Were a Boy” (Maurice Joshua Mojo UK Remix)
2. “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” (DJ Escape Club Version)
3. “Diva” (Karmatronic Club Remix)
4. “Halo” (Dave Aude Club)
5. “Broken-Hearted Girl” (Catalyst Remix)
6. “Ego” (DAC Remix)
7. “Sweet Dreams” (Karmatronic Remix)
8. “Ego” (Remix featuring Kanye West)