That Grape Juice Interviews LaTavia Roberson

Destiny’s Child Original Talks Struggles, Triumph, And…A Reunion

latavia-that-grape-juice-2016

Ever keen to take you above and beyond the industry’s velvet rope, That Grape Juice has engaged in conversations with some of the world’s brightest stars since its conception almost a decade ago.

From actors to singers, Reality TV producers to directors, we’re proud to say that we’ve interviewed true game-changers whose work has shifted cultures and inspired generations.

However, few of them can say they’ve made half as much impact as the woman we caught up with last week.

As a founding member of Destiny’s Child, LaTavia Roberson‘s run in the group saw her reach global superstardom alongside bandmates LeToya Luckett, Beyonce and Kelly Rowland by way of music and visuals that elevated them to levels  beyond those reached by the En Vogue‘s and TLC‘s of the world.

Much has changed since we were first introduced to Roberson in 1997.

What success means for her now?

Find out below…

destiny's child
We meet Roberson after she completes a conversation with the editors of her yet-to-be-titled autobiography. Due in the spring of 2017, the project is in the final stages of the editing process marking an exciting time for the 35-year-old business woman and her team.
All of this is a dream come true. When I  was 15 I decided I wanted  to write a book and seeing it all come together twenty years later is a blessing. The editors are excited about it, so today’s a good day.
In 2007, seven years after her contentious departure from Destiny’s Child caused her to suffer from writer’s block, the entertainer returned to work on the book with one goal in mind…transparency.
 I’d  been so silent for ten years and I  knew I had to be transparent with the people who have been following my journey.
That meant giving them the good bad and the ugly and telling the truth about everything. It starts from my childhood and concludes with my pregnancy. I started writing again in 2007 but got writer’s block for four years. I now know that I had to go through some things and understand them before articulating them. Now it’s almost ready and I couldn’t be happier.
destiny's child
By way of revenue generated by tracks she co-wrote for the group, Roberson stands as one of R&B’s more well heeled stars, pocketing from sales generated by their sophomore set ‘The Writings on the Wall‘ which sold over 16 million units worldwide.
Like her DC co-writer Kandi Burruss, said earnings have seen the entrepreneur venture into the world of business. Unfortunately, her time on TV One’s ‘R&B Divas‘ did little to showcase this.
When I met with the producers they loved the fact that I was doing exciting things away from music and had used what I’d learned while in the group to build a life for myself away from music. For whatever reason, the parts of the show (which showed all of that) didn’t make it to television and I don’t think I was presented in the way I really am. That being said, I had fun on the show and would do reality TV again. I’d just have to make sure it was done right.
Our conversation then takes us onto the topic of Destiny’s Child‘s 20th birthday.
A reunion? I’d love to. The feuding which came after the split was hard, but I became a fan of the new line-up after a while and have developed a sisterhood with Michelle Williams. I guess the hard part about a reunion would be logistics. Most of us our mothers now and are raising families so that has to be taken into consideration. I think the right things will happen at the right time. That’s what writing this book has taught me…when it’s meant to be it will be.
She added:
What’s so cool now is that I feel inspired to use the things that I’ve learned in music and in business to develop new artists. I’m not opposed to a solo recording career for myself but I feel more inspired to help other people now. My taste in music is so eclectic and I want what I end up doing to reflect that. I love Dance music and soulful music as well as a lot of Alternative stuff and so I’m really considering using all the things I love about those genres to introduce new artists to the world to make more of that kind of music. Writing the book has reminded me that I have so much to offer and I’d like to help others.
latavia-roberson-tgj
As our conversation continues we notice that the star is spinning an album recently released by a member of the extended DC family. It’s ‘A Seat at the Table‘, the #1 LP by Solange.
That album is so important me. I listen to it when I need to feel motivated and inspired. I didn’t even realize I still had it playing in here.
After discussing her heterogeneous iTunes playlist, which is comprised of cuts released by Purity Ring, Beyonce, Chrisette Michele and Sia, we reach the end of our time with the serene star.
After everything that’s happened, I’ve discovered that a peace of mind is more important than anything. Being here, being a source of positivity and light in the world, and loving me for who I am…that’s my definition of success. I won’t lie to you, there have been times where I have been so unhappy and unsure of myself. Now, more than anything, I really want to use the pain I’ve gone through to give back through a non-profit organization.

As a mother, I feel an innate need to support other women as they go through difficult times and remind them that they’re not alone. When I first started writing my book at 15 I didn’t know that life would take me where it has. Now, I realise that I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be and it’s beautiful.

[Interview by David]

Sponsored

1. December 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm
    martin miller says:
    +15

Latavia and Beyonce are femenist!

• December 26, 2016 at 12:14 am
      BIGGESTAALIYAHFAN says:
      +11

HAPPY TO know she’s up for a reunion. I need all FIVE of them. Kelly, Michelle, Beyonce, LaToya and LaTivia

2. December 25, 2016 at 1:47 pm
    Bey Bey Sting says:
    +24

Her spirit is so warm!!!!

3. December 25, 2016 at 1:48 pm
    Surprise..(DEC 2013) says:
    -24

BYE!!!! What a horrible christmas gift TGJ..

4. December 25, 2016 at 1:48 pm
    Love says:
    +20

I felt at peace by the time I finished this. We’d never heard about what happened to her after Mathew fired her so I felt like this tied up loose ends.

5. December 25, 2016 at 1:51 pm
    StarBoy Wknd says:
    +20

So she’s still making money from the group? Dope!

• December 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm
      Code Monica says:
      +19

Why else do you think Kelly can afford to be so lazy? They all got credits on TWOTW so don’t have to work if they don’t want to.

• December 25, 2016 at 4:35 pm
        Queen Ci says:
        -10

It’s too bad the same can’t be said for Moanica. She is still releasing flop albums and married to a broke former NBA just to barely stay out of welfare.

6. December 25, 2016 at 1:55 pm
    BEYSTAN_ SINCE 1997 says:
    +23

A Destinys Child reunion would be amazing, however the center piece of the group BEYONCE would literally have to stop everything around her to cordinate with the other girls. Not to mention Latvia, Letoya, and Michelle would have to work hard times 10 to be up to par with Beyonce & Kelly because those 2 have only become better performers since going solo. Maybe one day it will be it’s great all the ladies have grown up, moved on, and are codorial.

• December 26, 2016 at 2:36 pm
      Oh Please says:

What a JOKE! It will take nothing to keep up with Kelly, she is at the same level as LaTavia.

• December 27, 2016 at 3:35 am
        kb3ee says:

Huh?….Latvia actually is the only 1 who has not been in the spotlight since the group…and did you see Kelly video for ” DUMB” I bet you your check Latvia couldn’t duplicate those moves

7. December 25, 2016 at 1:58 pm
    Monica & Brandy ❤️❤️ says:
    +17

How lovely! You can feel her peace radiating from the way she speaks.

8. December 25, 2016 at 2:28 pm
    ya says:
    +19

I feel LaTavia she has a story and can’t wait for more in 2017

9. December 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm
    MUSICHEAD says:
    +16

A reunion tour with all 5 members would be dope! They could even bring Farrah along as the nanny. I wish them all the best!

10. December 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm
    Danyboo says:
    +12

All the original members of destinys child are the most classy women in the entertainment industry. They have that old hollywood it factor. It would be so nice to see them all do something together before they make a biopic about them one day. That would be the greatest gift toba 90s baby.

11. December 25, 2016 at 5:06 pm
    Jomega says:
    +18

I love DC and Michelle Williams’ addition, but I still think their best work was on The Writing’s On The Wall. Much love to LaTavia and LeToya for being a part of my favorite album of my youth.

12. December 26, 2016 at 9:57 am
    Ante Up says:

No shade intended, but Latavia you’ve been promising us a book since before Toya dropped Lady Love.
    I did read Becoming Beyoncé so I’m aware that LaTavia and her cousins contributed roughly 75% of the photos and content.
    Which isn’t a bad thing..
    All I’m saying is we already know the DC tea thanks to you and that book.
    No shade, but Latavia: that is your book.
    No need to release your life story just yet…ijs

13. December 26, 2016 at 9:58 am
    Ante Up says:

Boo, stick to the acting and modeling no need venturing out into that territory AGAIN so soon.

• December 26, 2016 at 2:40 pm
      Oh Please says:

No she needs to stay away from acting, she was only good on the show they were all on back in the day. Her acting sucks now.

14. December 27, 2016 at 4:06 pm
    #ispeakfacts says:

I like Latavia & Letoya but they are really reaching when they bring up a Destinys Child Reunion! I can only remember them having like 4 hit songs with Kelly & Bey! No no no, bills bills bills, bugaboo & say my name & you can’t tell rather they are even on their! DC have had a ton of hits since then! A DC 20th anniversary is coming in 2018 with Bey Kelz & Chelle! Yall know danm well Bey nor Kelly ain’t having that!

15. Vote

[…] disbanded amidst tales of bird-beef and jealousy adding to the breakup rumors. LaTavia now tells The Grape Juice that she is open to the idea of a possible reunion years after the group parted […]

16. Vote

[…] after a while and have developed a sisterhood with Michelle Williams,” LaTavia told That Grape Juice. […]

17. December 28, 2016 at 9:14 am
    Ann says:

Im all about DC3 don’t care to keep up with latoya bad actress or Laetivia really!

18. Vote

19. Vote

[…] previously reported, Roberson recently stated that she is open to reuniting with former Destiny’s Child […]

20. Vote

21. Vote

Nice interview

22. Vote

[…] Exclusive Interview: Keyshia Cole Dishes On… on Wednesday 15th Feb | Discuss? That Grape Juice Interviews LaTavia Roberson on Sunday 25th Dec | Discuss? Freshly Squeezed: Introducing… Thirdstory on […]