Hip Hop & R&B act Wstrn and Pop superstar Adele are among of a group of British acts praised for helping the market’s industry sweep up $1.6 billion from consumers in 2015.
Good news below…
The trio, who hail from West London, stormed the market with their breakout single ‘IN2‘ which peaked at #4 on the Official Singles Chart and #10 on Australia’s ARIA tally.
Now, as they fly the flag for Urban music in the country they join the likes of Adele, Ed Sheeran, Little Mix and Calvin Harris to score praise for moves they have made in and for their domestic market.
Music consumption in the United Kingdom climbed by 3.5 percent in 2015 to total £1.1 billion ($1.6 billion) in retail sales value, according to annual figures released today by labels trade body the BPI.
The rise was largely driven by sustained growth in the streaming sector — which,like the U.S., nearly doubled — by 82 percent in volume to 26.8 billion audio streams, up from 14.8 billion the previous year, and now representing over a fifth (22 percent) of music consumed in the U.K. Streaming subscription revenues totalled £251 million ($368 million) in 2015, almost a 50 percent rise on the previous year’s total of £168 million ($246 million).
Digital formats accounted for 54% of all British music consumption while CD sales generated $687 million with help from Adele’s ’25’ which shifted 2.5 million units in the market within six weeks.
It now stands as the best-selling LP of the year.
Best-selling albums in the U.K. in 2015
1. Adele / 25 / XL Recordings (Beggars Group)
2. Ed Sheeran / X / Asylum/Atlantic Records UK (Warner Music UK)
3. Sam Smith / In The Lonely Hour / Capitol/Capitol (Universal Music UK)
4. Elvis Presley / If I Can Dream / Sony Music CG/Sony Music CG (Sony Music Entertainment UK)
5. Justin Bieber / Purpose / Def Jam/Virgin EMI (Universal Music UK)
6. Taylor Swift / 1989 / EMI/Virgin EMI (Universal Music UK)
7. Jess Glynne / I Cry When I Laugh / Atlantic/Atlantic Records UK (Warner Music UK)
8. James Bay / Chaos And The Calm / Republic Records/Virgin EMI (Universal Music UK)
9. Coldplay / A Head Full Of Dreams / Parlophone/Parlophone (Warner Music UK)
10. George Ezra / Wanted on Voyage / Columbia/Columbia Label Group (Sony Music Entertainment UK)