To Our Readers

The Best You Never Heard: Toni Braxton, Destiny’s Child, SWV, & Michael Jackson

best you never heard 2013 The Best You Never Heard: Toni Braxton, Destinys Child, SWV, & Michael Jackson

The Best You Never Heard is back! After a lengthy rest on the bench, each week will once again see That Grape Juice spotlight an array of little known gems. Featuring picks from the TGJ editorial team, we want to know…who chose the best song! Let us know below…

********************

Toni Braxton – ‘Hands Tied’

Toni Braxton may once again be riding high on the R&B charts with Babyface, yet the climate was altogether different for the veteran diva back in 2010.

For, despite serving up a solid LP in the form of ‘Pulse’, the songstress saw industry politics once again marr another of her post-90’s projects. A shame, as like ‘Libra’ before it, ‘Pulse’ re-affirmed that musically Ms. Braxton was very much alive – and if backed properly could still be quite the Urban chart force.

Still, one of the positive facets to emerge from the episode was the Oak-produced ‘Hands Tied’.

A titillating concoction of classy and sensual, the baby-making number placed Braxton’s creamy contralto centre-stage. The definition of “feel music”, the cut’s lyrics are sure to resonate with anyone who’s loved and loved hard.

Despite receiving the video treatment, the song – which was rolled out as the album’s third single – could only manage a #29 peak on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart.

Unfortunate, yet a fact that does not dilute the brilliance that is this song! {SAM}

LISTEN: [audiotube id="FrzGNKGhipM"]

********************

Destiny’s Child – I Know

2003 proved to be the beginning of America’s decade long love affair with ‘Crazy In Love’ singer Beyonce. But, as the singer’s musical flight was just taking off, she still aimed to build her acting resume – a resume which already included the likes of ‘Carmen: A Hip Hopera’ and ‘Austin Powers 3′.

Then, taking her chops to gospel-inspired numbers, Bey took to the Cuba Gooding Jr.-led ‘Fighting Temptations’ to lend fan favorites ‘Time To Come Home’ and a scorching remake of classic hit ‘Fever’. Despite an album full of gems, it appeared to be the inspirational Destiny’s Child cut ‘I Know’ that is oft-overlooked. In line with the inspirational work of both Kelly’s (‘Stole’) and Michelle’s (‘Heart To Yours’), the song showcased each beauty’s talent while delivering a heartwarming message.

Get to know ‘I Know’ below:

Press play and fall in love {RASHAD}

LISTEN:  [audiotube id="e6Rghyb4yfM"]

********************

SWV – Use Your Heart

Well before the new millennium saw him craft hits for Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Britney Spears and Jay Z, Pharrell Williams wooed the ears of many an R&B loyalist…via the vocalists that are SWV.

Responsible for the group’s signature jam ‘Right Here’, my ‘Best You’ve Never Heard’ pick invites you to the year 1996 to meet ‘Use Your Heart’, the second single to be lifted from the trio’s ‘New Beginning’.

Peaking at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100, ‘Heart’ saw the ladies storm R&B shores with a peak position of #6 and push US sales of its supporting album to 1 million units, earning the LP a Platinum certification despite the song itself itself failing to reach the Gold milestone achieved by its preceding single ‘You’re The One’.

Boasting a finesse and crossover appeal many of today’s R&B hopefuls could pull from, I hope you love ‘Use Your Heart’ as much as I do, and make it the ‘Best You Never Heard’ too! {DAVID}

LISTEN: [audiotube id="CDfgawEll1Y"]
********************

Michael Jackson – Someone Put Your Hand Out

From the Jackson 5 days to ‘This Is It’, the King Of Pop had been able to show the universe the full extent of his genius. Yes, Michael Jackson blessed us with many a “classic” moment, but today let’s focus on a track only die-hard fans are aware of.

Courtesy of the 1991 ‘Dangerous’ sessions and included on a Pepsi promotional boxset , ‘Someone Put Your Hand Out’ is yet another gem created by the fantastic team of Jackson and Teddy Riley. A melancholic, surrendering love song, it’s safe to say it is ranked quite high on the extensive list of “could-have-been-hits” from the Pop visionary. Armed with a crystal clear falsetto, a Latin flavored groove,  lush vocal arrangements and simple – in the best way possible – melodies, Mike demonstrates here that – with the right dosage – less is definitely more. Indeed, what makes this song such a winner is its subtlety.

Jackson’s ability to seamlessly switch his sound from high-energy, industrial and aggressive to ethereal and vulnerable remains one of his biggest qualities and this very song sums up amazingly what the softer side of his music is all about: love, passion, emotion and honesty

Long Live the King! {JOE}

LISTEN: [audiotube id="A915V7KjKRM"]
********************

Whose Pick Was Best This Week?!

1. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:14 am
    Savannah says:

Use Your Heart was my song!!! Me and my childhood best friends sang that in an elementary school talent show lol. SWV had some jams man…my fave was “Rain” woooooo the memories :)

2. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:18 am
    Molly says:

Toni slays them other females

3. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:18 am
    beyonce,lady gaga,lil kim,j cole,drake,miley,ke$ha,justin bieber,chris brown,lil wayne,rita ora and kelly rowland fan(blue ivy writing rihannas checkz with her crayonz) says:

i love destinys child and all but what about TLC?i just wonder how it would be if lisa were still here..congratz though dc

4. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

so sad really,look around ladies used to run music,gal bandz everywhere.right now all we really see most of its boy bands.ladies we need girl bandz,not the saturdays,lil mix etc but gal bandz who will dethrone tha boyz

• |
      October 9, 2013 at 9:46 am
      Savannah says:

No ones checking for girl groups anymore. They never stay together so there’s no point in even investing in them.

5. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:22 am
    pat says:

I used to bump I KNOW. Kelly’s vocal slayed.

6. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:27 am
    eric says:

Correction: The “Libra” album was nothing shameful. “Pulse” on the other hand was truly disappointing.

7. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:32 am
    RoyalKev says:

I heard B’s voice in that first verse and I was immediately drawn to it, but Toni’s Hand Tied is so s*** all the way through! I have to go with my favorite Braxton this time!

8. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:43 am
    Career Ender says:

DC3:

I can’t listen to the jam. But I’ll check it via PC

i just wanto comment on Destiny Fulfilled, I think Michelle slayed on that album. Beyonce did sound very good but Michelle’s parts in every song where the best

I don’t know but there is something special with Michelle’s voice

And I’m sure she sounded good too on this song

• |
      October 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm
      HOWYOULIKEIT says:

Yes. you’re right. And Michelle’s vocals on I know are just freaking hot

9. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:47 am
    OMG says:

Love that Michael Jackson song & Pic. It should’ve been on the “Dangerous” album…

Dangerous: 1991 (Sold 32,000,000+ Copies Worldwide)

Your faves could neva (Except for Adele)

10. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:48 am
    Ppl don't like the truth says:

Use your heart>all these songs
    The most consistent album Toni had post the heat album was The Xmas album and Libra.
    I know was one of the worse Destiny’s Child songs ever recorded. It sounds like an unfinished track Matthew rushed to a soundtrack to promote Michelle’s do you know album…Just No(I love DC3,but god no)
    Michael’s song sucks because of the vocals(adult Michael wasn’t much of a vocalist)
    @Molly Toni doesn’t slay anything especially with that tired ass flop hands tied bs.

11. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:49 am
    KANYE KARDASHIAN says:

Step your game up TGJ. “Use Your Heart” and “Hands Tied” were popular R&B singles.

• |
      October 9, 2013 at 9:54 am
      ROSEGOLD says:

I don’t remember Hands Tied.

12. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:50 am
    NT says:

They’re all good but i really loved Michelle’s voice on the DC3 song though

13. |
    October 9, 2013 at 9:56 am
    ROSEGOLD says:

Use Your Heart is an R&B classic!!!!!!!!!! David gets my vote

14. |
    October 9, 2013 at 10:05 am
    Dev says:

Which real lover of music has seriously not heard these songs? Use your heart was my song along with Don’t Waste Your Time with LeLe taking lead on the New Beginning album. I also loved Toni’s Hands Tied and felt the album would’ve been better if the songs didn’t leak and she didn’t have to keep re-recording the album which made it inconsistent. I’m going to have to split my vote between Sam and David

15. |
    October 9, 2013 at 10:30 am
    Bey Fan says:

Hands Tied and Use Your Heart were songs being played on the radio… I mean who hasn’t heard Use Your Heart…

“I Know” wasn’t one of my favorites… “Why You Acting Like You Don’t know” and ” Dont Talk About It” were leaked songs that should have made the Destiny Fulfilled cut.

I never heard the MJ song….and for reason it wont play =(

• |
      October 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm
      B says:

Those Songs (“Why You Acting” & “Gots My Own” (Or What You Called “Don’t Talk About It”) Is On The Asia Deluxe Edition Of The Album W/ A Few Other Songs…I Bought The Import For Those Songs….

16. |
    October 9, 2013 at 10:45 am
    I'm prettier than Muhammad Ali says:

Use Your Heart!

17. |
    October 9, 2013 at 10:49 am
    CEE says:

Hands Tied was an amazing song and I still listen to it. And yes, Tamar KILLTTT the background vocals.

18. |
    October 9, 2013 at 11:13 am
    teameverybody says:

i was just reading the Destiny Child part and it said RASHAD take a losten lol my name is Rashad yayyy lol

19. |
    October 9, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    b**** I Can't Even Spell Welfare says:

“Use Your Heart”

Loved “Hands Tied,” but David gets this one.

20. |
    October 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    Touché says:

Toni’s voice alone wins me over so I’m going to go with Rashad.

21. |
    October 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    Chillin says:

Absolutelyyyy “Use your Heart” ..Classic track…#90s rock!!!

22. |
    October 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    Lebo(CaribbeanBOi) says:

DC3 – I Know .. Amazing song with a positive message ..

YOU GUYZ ARE SO STUCK ON HATING THE ARTIST , DIDN’T TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN THE MESSAGE … #GETURLIFE

LUV ME SOME KELLY !!!!