It’s that time of year again!
Indeed, the air is still buzzing as today brought with it the highly anticipated 2019 Grammy nominations unveiled, per usual, via a special announcement weeks before the actual showing. But, what also comes with the ‘per usual’ announcement are the jaw-dropping surprises, snubs, and all out “shut-outs” that accompany the annual spectacle.
Always a heated debate-starter, the coveted tally saw the likes of chart-toppers Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, P!nk, and Taylor Swift go without mention in (as some fans argue) the correct categories, while hitmakers Sam Smith, Nicki Minaj, and Lil Wayne got no mention at all.
Look inside for That Grape Juice‘s picks for the 2019 Grammy nominations’ biggest snubs and surprises:
Surprise: Kendrick Lamar leads nominations’ tally…with no studio album
- The ‘Black Panther’ soundtrack — curated by Lamar (featuring appearances from SZA, The Weeknd, etc.) – is only the 13th movie soundtrack in history to receive an album of the year nomination. The ‘album of the year’ nod is one of 8 he’s received…
Snub: Pop’s leading acts – Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Bebe Rexha, Camila Cabello, Justin Timberlake, P!nk, & Taylor Swift – barely nominated, shut out of major categories
Surprise: Drake – despite previous Grammy protests – nominated for 5 awards
- Drake’s negative history with the Grammys (due to its lack of inclusive representation) has seen him make headlines for unapologetic slams of the Academy. Yet, that didn’t stop them from honoring work found on his ‘Scorpion’ album (the best selling LP of 2018).
Snub: Drake shut out of ‘Rap Album of the Year’ category
Surprise: Cardi B & H.E.R. Drops Jaws with Whopping 5 Nominations Respectively
Snub: Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and Sam Smith Get Zero Nods
- Despite laying claim to some of late 2017 and 2018’s most anticipated projects, Nicki Minaj (‘Queen’), Lil Wayne (‘Tha Carter V’), and Sam Smith (‘The Thrill of It All’), won’t be anticipating Grammy wins to celebrate their works as none of them got any mention on the entire tally.
Surprise: Chloe x Halle earn Best New Artist nod
Snub: Mentor Beyonce &. husband Jay Z shut out of major categories
- In the song ‘Apesh*t’ (found aboard the first duet album of Beyonce and Jay Z, ‘Everything Is Love’), the rapper proclaimed, ‘tell the Grammys f*ck that 0-8 sh*t.’ Now, the rapper and his Grammy-winning wife stand to go 0-2 as their critically acclaimed LP only nabbed two nods – in minor categories.
Surprise: So many damn nominees in major categories
- In response to the hoopla over last year’s dearth of female nominees, The Recording Academy created a task force to increase inclusion and fairer representation across categories. The result? Some categories saw their nominee list expanded from 5 to 8.
Snub: Do the Grammys just hate J. Cole or what?
- Every year he’s released music eligible for nomination, J. Cole – one of rap music’s most prolific and celebrated modern artists – find himself on the snubbed list for exclusion from major categories or all out shut out. This year proves no different. Despite topping charts with his April 2018-released, ‘K.O.D.,’ the only mention he received on this year’s nomination tally was for work he did with other artists.
Surprise: Janelle Monae‘s ‘Dirty Computer’ nominated for ‘Album of the Year’
Snub: Janelle Monae left out of every R&B, Urban-related category
- We won’t dare act like Monae isn’t deserving of her ‘Album of the Year’ nod as ‘Dirty Computer’ was easily one of 2018’s best offerings. Yet, how can one’s project be worthy of recognition as one of the best albums of any genre yet not be recognized in categories that celebrate its own genre?
Surprise: Christina Aguilera & Toni Braxton score multiple nominations
- Their latest respective projects, ‘Liberation’ and ‘Sex & Cigarettes,’ may be their worst commercial performers to date, but even the Academy recognized the efforts of Christina Aguilera and Toni Braxton lived up to their critical acclaim as both LPs scored multiple nods.
Snub: Khalid & Normani‘s ‘Love Lies’ left nomination-less