New Video: Nelly Furtado – ‘Parking Lot’

shares
nelly furtado parking lot video e1347952430461 New Video: Nelly Furtado   Parking Lot

Today brings with it a double helping of goodies for Nelly Furtado fans. For, the singer’s long-awaited comeback album ‘The Spirit Indestructible’ finally hits stores, while its latest visual offering, ‘Parking Lot’, was premiered minutes ago.

It’s no secret that the LP has to-date birthed no hits; can ‘Lot’ reverse its fortunes? You be the judge after the jump…

With her “swag” on 100 and money clearly spent on this one, Ms. Furtado is onto a visual winner. Sadly, it’s the song itself that hinders everything – it’s terrible. She sounds like a chipmunk chanting a nursery-rhyme.

A shame given the fact that, when used correctly (and with the right material), her tone shines quite uniquely.

It’s somewhat shocking that an artist who served up smashes such as ‘Promiscuous’ and ‘Maneater’ is struggling to deliver solid material this go round; a fact echoed by their poor chart performance. Needless to say, her first week numbers will be uber interesting to see.

We can only hope the album has a saving grace on it, because as niche as she’s presenting herself on this outing, the fact of the matter is she’s signed to a major record label – whose prime purpose is to generate revenue. Unless or until she signs to an Indie, that will also be the sole objective of anyone handling her project.

In simpler terms, she needs a hit and fast. Here’s hoping future releases tap into what made her such a success in previous “era’s”. Because, as we’ve seen countless times in our five years online, success is often not about trying to re-invent the wheel, it’s about really zeroing in on your “lane” and building upwards from there. Especially when you’ve out of the limelight for six years.

We wish Nelly the best of luck.

shares

This Week's Top Commentators

• I STAN(D) FOR TALENT

I STAN(D) FOR TALENT (81)

• Mark111

2. September 18, 2012 at 3:01 am
    mr.m says:

The b!tch is done!

F to the L to the O to the P

3. September 18, 2012 at 3:51 am
    JOHNVIDAL says:

Sam is a bad person. Jst that. I mean, he is always hoping for people to flop, he jumps on the issue anytime someone´s new album smells like a non instant hit
    I don´t care about Nelly flopping or not, her music is not my cup of tea… but it is what it is
    Do u guys see how excited he seems to be about Xtina´s new material now? Now that she is probably gonna have a hit? Do u remember how he bashed her around the time Bionic was going to be released? He likes the drama, he needs people to flop so he can destroy them and then make a whole beautiful story the moment they find success again with their new stuff (predicting flops from any other artist who was praised by him around the time he bashed the one he is praising now)

• September 18, 2012 at 6:00 am
      dossome says:

well stated

• September 18, 2012 at 6:37 am
        Likica says:

John likes this video

• September 18, 2012 at 9:53 am
        JOHNVIDAL says:

me??? All those girls on talent shows wish they could sing like a Whitney or at least be original
        All the man that I need is one of my fave Whitney´s songs. Everybody who touches it… destroys it. It´s not that that girl can´t sing… but I´m not here for average loud singers

• September 18, 2012 at 10:46 am
        Likica says:

She was great, she’s not average :P BTW she’s just 17. She has time to improve her voice. And don’t forget that Whitney lost her voice and ability to perfrom when she published I look to you :P

4. September 18, 2012 at 4:02 am
    YOOSONDALOOSE says:

Good video, wish Nelly was doing things right this time but it is just not happening, sad.

But I must admit after a few plays of this song I LOVE IT! REALLY AND TRULY THIS SONG IS THE ONE… after many plays!

5. September 18, 2012 at 4:12 am
    LaLa says:

I love Nelly’s 1st track on the album (judging by the snippets). “Parking Lot” sounds very M.I.A.’s.

6. September 18, 2012 at 4:14 am
    aishaaguilerakeys says:

Her album sounds good, though. Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t sell (well, it does for the record label), at least she’s doing music she likes.

7. September 18, 2012 at 4:17 am
    aishaaguilerakeys says:

I like the vid by the way, colorful and original.

8. September 18, 2012 at 4:17 am
    KELLY says:

Nelly had to pull a rihanna and do 2 generic songs to save her album (let’s face it WHYB and WFL saved that album) buy yet again she is to good of an artist to scoop so low

9. September 18, 2012 at 4:19 am
    aishaaguilerakeys says:

Sam, I think her material this time is solid, it’s just that it doesn’t fit into what everyone else is listening to right now.

• September 18, 2012 at 6:04 am
      dossome says:

the good thing is that she didn’t rehash loose & she ain’t scared of releasing this album either….meaning she believes in the music she puts out

10. September 18, 2012 at 4:49 am
    TALK THAT s*** says:

I seriously doubt Nelly even cares about charts, Nelly Furtado just enjoys making her own music.

• September 18, 2012 at 6:06 am
      dossome says:

very true…coz if she did,she wld have pulled a nicole sherzinger and scrapped the album altogether but she didn’t,which is commendable

11. September 18, 2012 at 5:06 am
    matt says:

The video is fantastic and hot!!! It`s super cool, glamorous, dark, s***, hot, Nelly looks fabulous!!! Wooooooooooooooo

12. September 18, 2012 at 5:15 am
    miami says:

Big hoopz was actually a great song! it was the video that kinda threw me off. this song is good too but I just dislike her delivery. But it is different and I respect because so many artist are boring. BUT I must say the video is top notch best I’ve seen in a while. so original and very well shot I was wondering who shot it the whole time I still need to know!!!

I love Nelly and I hope she continues to make music and release singles.
    people need to leave her alone. she’s a true artist she has made some amazing
    records respect her craft

• September 18, 2012 at 7:44 am
      Erickane says:

It was directed by Ray Kay…even says during the beginning and the end of the video

13. September 18, 2012 at 6:15 am
    Peter Griffin says:

What happened to her voice and music. This album has killed her international career stone cold.

• September 18, 2012 at 6:34 am
      Likica says:

h** hush! This album rockssss, I know it will flop but her music is great.

• September 18, 2012 at 6:44 am
        Peter Griffin says:

Whaaaaaaaaat! Did you just tell me to hush! This b**** sound so whiney and she thinks it’s still 2006. She should hush and go back to the drawing board!

• September 18, 2012 at 6:50 am
        Likica says:

Her music is still better than Justin Bieber’s, Taylor Swift’s and the music from other generic artists ;) Gurl take a seat.

• September 18, 2012 at 7:45 am
        Peter Griffin says:

Whaaaaaaaaat! Did you just gurl me! Come on, everyone is better than Justin Bieber and Taylor s***. Why not compare her to Beyoncé or Christina Aguilera. Cause you know she ain’t the best. Take a seat…

14. September 18, 2012 at 7:02 am
    ASAP (As Sincere As Possible) says:

I actually love it! The track could have been better, especially the lyrics of the verses, but the video is her best from this era! Her album is amazing though. I hope people give it a chance and not write it off just because the singles didn’t do well.

15. September 18, 2012 at 7:10 am
    FANTASEA says:

I didn’t like this song at first but after listening on repeat a few times to check out the visuals I’m hooked! This album may not be her best but I think it’s commendable that she’s creating music which inspires her. Also great that she has her record labels’ support too!

16. September 18, 2012 at 7:58 am
    kelly says:

Did she work with Timbaland? That is a shame…..she is a proven talent.

• September 18, 2012 at 8:13 am
      Gilberto says:

No. Darkchild produced it. Actually, he produced most song of her new album.

17. September 18, 2012 at 8:54 am
    Monstarebel says:

Ewww her new songs suck!!! Big hoopz was ok but boring n this song omg horrible….. This era of Nelly & pink I hate has to be both of their worst!

18. September 18, 2012 at 11:15 am
    stacey says:

The song is good. Nelly just keep grinding and doing you, some folks are still stuck in 2001-2006 era which is a damn shame.

19. September 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    Cro says:

I really don’t see the problem with ‘Parking Lot’ or the new album. I bet she will slay with this song. At least in the States. The beat is super infectious and I feel like putting my hoodie on and doing “air driving” when I’m listening to it. The LP is awesome and I love the fact that she’s doing what she wanna do. No one will ever change this lil hipster and that’s a good thing! :)

20. September 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    GABBADEANE says:

I felt like I was still waiting for the song to start…the beat is nice but i was waiting for the “real” beat to drop. and there could have been better lyrics…I just don’t see it for her.