Welcome to the new ThatGrapeJuice.net

Jay-Z Defends Kanye West

jayzintvw e1263507913669 Jay Z Defends Kanye West

Jay-Z is featured in the February edition of Interview magazine. The Hip-Hop icon was interviewed by noted critic Elvis Mitchell and discussed a range of issues. Perhaps most prominent were his thoughts on Kanye West’s MTV VMA controversy. Check out an excerpt from the conversation below (Courtesy of Rap-Up.com):

On the VMA debacle: “I just think the timing of what [Kanye] did was wrong, and that, of course, overshadowed everything. He believed that ‘Single Ladies’ [by Jay-Z’s wife, Beyoncé] was a better video. I believed that. I think a lot of people believed that. You can’t give someone Video of the Year if they don’t win Best Female Video. I thought Best Female Video was something you won on the way to Video of the Year. But, hey, I guess it wasn’t—and that’s a whole other conversation about awards shows and artists.”

On award shows: “You can’t have the woman who wins Video of the Year not win Best Female Video. I mean, Herbie Hancock is great, but you can’t have him beat the Kanye album that year. I mean, come on, seriously. That can’t happen. That just lets me know that the people who get to pick these ballots just check the only name they know. I think that’s what’s happening with rap music now.”

Jay Z is usually a man of few words but when he speaks his mind, he speaks the truth. Everything that he said about the awards shows makes perfect sense and can be translated especially in the cases of the MTV Awards and the Grammy Awards. I still find it baffling that Talor Swift’s video was selected over Beyonce’s ‘Single Ladies’.

Thoughts?

• January 15, 2010 at 7:10 am
    jay-z sucks says:

f*** jayz cuz he’s protecting kanye b****

• January 15, 2010 at 7:46 am
    YouPutTheLimeInTheCoconut says:

It doesn’t take away from the fact that Kanye is STILL seen as a b**** for making a b**** move, so whatever.

• January 15, 2010 at 7:49 am
    d says:

regardless of opinion on who wins and who does nto kanye shouldnn’t have done what he did. and the point about them just picking who they know can be sais about beyonce winning as well especially in urban categories

• January 15, 2010 at 8:12 am
    Blasian says:

I love Beyonce aswell I think she should’ve won to. But the Winners was voted by the Fans so what can you do. I’m sure Beyonce doesn’t mind. Hell Beyonce has sooooo Many MTV Awards. But I know one thing I voted like crazy!

• January 15, 2010 at 8:17 am
    Kenney says:

i wish my bank acct was as big as all they egos!

• January 15, 2010 at 8:24 am
    Travis says:

Kanye was wrong but I think that it isn’t really that serious that people were making it to be. There are many other issues in the world that are more important. He made a mistake, give him a break. We all do s*** that is wrong or disrespectful. He apologize, so keep it moving.

• January 15, 2010 at 8:32 am
    MushyLove_1992 says:

I have to admit that I was shocked as hell when Taylor Swift won that award. Not in a good way either. Kanye had a right to say what he had to say, he just did it at the wrong time obviously…

• January 15, 2010 at 8:56 am
    trucie says:

what the f*** ever! get over it. Kanye’s an asshole. Bottom line!

• January 15, 2010 at 9:03 am
    Nik says:

Folks sound crazy saying she should have won. What ppl don’t realize it that the FANS vote for the MTV awards, no one else!!! Her fans (Beyonce) should have voted for her maybe she would have won. And you know what? I don’t believe Taylor was even nominated for Video of the year. If she was, she probably would’ve won that one too. BECAUSE HER FANS VOTE IN BIG NUMBERS!!

Jay-Z sound sooooo stupid. This is purely done all by the fans

• January 15, 2010 at 9:08 am
    Nik says:

Another thing…..if you look at Kanye’s history with Awards shows – this was like he’s 6th or 7th time doing this sorta thing. I mean…this dude really think he can just do whatever he wants , when he wants because fools like Jay-Z ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS makes an excuse for his behavior. This award had absolutely NOTHING to do with him, so how can Jay-Z just blame it on passion. he should have stayed out of it!!! Period!

• January 15, 2010 at 9:39 am
    wtf says:

man are we still talking about this…him and rihanna wont just shut the f*** up!!

• January 15, 2010 at 9:42 am
    GeeMan says:

What people fail to realize is country music outsells R&b music and country fans buy music were as the urban and hiphop community choose to download illegally. Futhermore Taylor”s album sales are through the roof. Also her tours sell out as well.

• January 15, 2010 at 9:53 am
    DizzyGuy1985 says:

Jay-Z is an idiot. Wasn’t there a BEST MALE VIDEO category? Based upon his thoughts Best Female Video and Best Male should both have won the VIDEO OF THE YEAR? Sit down Jay-Z. He still has that c**n mentality. Ofcourse he thinks his wife should have won. Sorry thats not how it works. Its like people don’t have class anymore.

• January 15, 2010 at 10:26 am
    kc36 says:

I mean that is that man’s wife what else was he going to say? No I believe my wife video wasn’t better than taylors? lol. Kanye runs his mouth too much and what he did was cold in front of many people. He should pay for that. and keep his mouth shut forever lol.

• January 15, 2010 at 10:36 am
    WRONG says:

Agree with Dizzy

So just because she Video of the Year meant she should have also won Best Female video…..Dumb

If that was the case then whoever won Best Male Video should have won Video of the Year too.

Or the way he’s putting it, Taylor Swift should have won Video of the Year.

• January 15, 2010 at 11:58 am
    mya says:

yeah he needs to let that s*** go

• January 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm
    rightround(U.S.A pride!) says:

people need to let this go. The awards were voted by the FANS! including Best Female Video. Taylor swift was the only “country” artist nominated in that category and since all the other artists in the category were pop artists, THEIR votes from fans were SPLIT amongst them, leaving Taylor with the most votes. I don’t know why people cant understand this. It’s not Taylor’s fault. Plus Bey won Video of The Year so obviously people thought it was the best video. hush Jay.

• January 15, 2010 at 4:03 pm
    D says:

@DIZZYGUY1985
    Jay-Z wasn’t saying that the people who won best female video and best male should get video of the year award. he is saying that since a woman won video of the year it would make sense that she also get female video of the year. Same as if a man had won video of the year then it would make sense that he also win male video of the year.

• January 16, 2010 at 11:22 am
    Ash Jones says:

Agrees with ‘Kenny’.

In the words of Obama there are 3 words to describe both Kanye and JayZ

“What a Jack*ss”

• January 25, 2010 at 7:01 am
    ohh la la la says:

i dont care i agree wit j, she cant win vid of the year but not best female vid, that jus dont make no sense!! kanye i’m glad u said it cuz alot of ppl were thinkin it, but your timin was way off!

• February 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm
    Teresa says:

Wow looking listening and observing the media people and just the world in general. Its in my heart to say love is the key? First of all expressing my mind when i read all the opinions agrees disagrees and words of concerns and disconcerns. I thought thats true kanye west was wrong what he did. I felt like crying i could feel the heart pain and hurt of human souls. But thank God he apologized. And thats very good.And thats good he was rebuked and corrected for it. I believe in my heart he went to God and repented. Guess what world if he did God forgave him. And he have to suffer consequences. But im glad he said sorry. And thats awesome. Lord bless taylor swift she is a humble sweet heart. I pray God keep blessing her she did n deserve that. I pray everything works out and that everything stay peaceful. But now life gos on for taylor and kanye i wish the both for them i pray. Kanye is just maybe hurting about a lot of things in his life. He made a mistake but everyone on earth has made a mistake

• February 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm
    Teresa says:

This is teresa again: no one is perfect. Yes he was wrong. But think about it. It happen and we cant rewind yesterday. As i was looking at all the media i thought about the women in the bible when she committed adultery and the people were casting stones and jesus said who can cast a stone. No not one. They back off because they made mistakes too. Kanye made a mistake and it did look bad but. The man is human like everyone else God knew that w going to happen he know we n perfect its a whole lot of people that have done worse. I just pray that that everything work out for the better. And that taylor swift is doing much better too. God loves us all dearly. Love is the key? I hope my words of gratitude and expressions are n offensive to anyone reading my comments. I just w listening and reading and thinking and decided to comment on this situation. I love and dearly concern about people. People need people . Ond word changes the world. Love, teresa. Email: [email protected]