Welcome to the new ThatGrapeJuice.net

Tina Turner Talks Beyonce, Aretha & Ike

tina+turner+12 Tina Turner Talks Beyonce, Aretha & Ike While promoting her brand new 36 date world tour, legend Tina Turner spoke with US Today about performing with Beyonce at this year’s Grammy’s, Aretha Franklin’s anger at her being introduced as the ‘The Queen’ at the same show, as well as her thoughts on the death of controversial ex Ike Turner:

On Performing With Beyonce:

People said, ‘You looked better than Beyoncé.’ Well, that’s not possible. It’s nice that young people hold me up as a model. Beyoncé is elegant and is handling her career well. A lot of new stars go overboard on sex. They’re half-naked up there. My dresses were a bit short, but I stayed respectable.”

On Aretha Franklin’s Declaration ‘I Am The Queen!’:

She was mum at the time, but Turner now says: “Aretha has always been like that. We’ve always accepted that from her. She’s the queen of soul, and I’m the queen of rock ‘n’ roll. There were so many kings and queens there that night. Her ego must be so big to think she was the only one.” Turner laughs. “That’s how queens are!”

On Ignoring Ike’s Death:

“It meant nothing to me,” she says. “He had been dead to me for 20 years.”

While it’s good to see Tina give kudos to those after her in the form of Beyonce and handle the Aretha situation with class, I’m a little shocked at her response about Ike though. I guess it’s a case of ‘each to their own’.

• October 2, 2008 at 8:13 am
    Nick says:

well I liked all h answers, BEYONCE ROKS – ARETHA A HAM & IKE beat & treated this woman like she were NUTHIN, so I understnd her statement…

• October 2, 2008 at 8:43 am
    Anonymous says:

I dug all her answers also, they had a thing in Ebony about Ike, him an Tina had one child together and the rest where from her suppose friends. I feel her, that kind of treatment she endured was better left dead.

• October 2, 2008 at 9:08 am
    Anonymous says:

The statement about Ike was a strong statement. She did go through a lot with him so I see where she is coming from. A legend acknoledging a legend in the making is just a beautiful thing.

• October 2, 2008 at 3:35 pm
    knox says:

‘each to their omwn?’

What the hell does that mean…lol

• October 2, 2008 at 5:47 pm
    Anonymous says:

Ike shoulda’ left Her Ass in NutBush!!!

• October 2, 2008 at 8:07 pm
    MzJGaines says:

Good Answers . . . She has her reasons for her response to Ike. We weren’t there, we didn’t live through the nightmare . . . and not what the movie showed us . . . read the book, he put her through pure hell . . . even after they divorced. The woman was on welfare and her threathened her life on a daily basis. She can feel that way if she chooses.

• October 2, 2008 at 9:03 pm
    Keith says:

Tina is still gorgeous. I’ve been a big fan since I can remember. I love that woman. It’s cool to hear her thoughts. She’s not afraid to share her feelings.

• October 3, 2008 at 7:40 am
    Anonymous says:

beyonce shows her azz like evreybody else.

tina needs to give it up. she looks a mess nowadays

• October 3, 2008 at 9:19 am
    Anonymous says:

mmm…seems like she talkin bout rihanna there, although it should b fully naked!

• October 3, 2008 at 5:28 pm
    Anonymous says:

HE BEAT HER AND MAE HER MISERABLE. IM HAPPY SHE IS BEING REAL ON HOW SHE FEELS. I GIVE HER PROPS FOR THAT.. UNLIKE MOST FAKE PEOPLE NOW-A-DAYS

• October 4, 2008 at 9:46 am
    Anonymous says:

I loove Tina!! She is truly the best at what she does, performing and making classical music.

• October 4, 2008 at 2:15 pm
    Anonymous says:

ON IKE I’M GLAD MS TINA KEPT IT REAL. JUST BECAUSE THE NEGRO DIED DON’T MEAN SHE OWES HIM A DAMN THING,CERTAINLY NOT RESPECT. MS.ARETHA YOU KNOW YOU JUST MAD CAUSE YOU LET YOURSELF GO AND YOU NO LONGER LOOK QUEENISH!!

• December 16, 2008 at 8:20 pm
    Anonymous says:

I love me some Tina and the woman looks Sexy as hell in the pic but damn what you all say, i'm a bit disappointed with her answer about Ike's and his death. To me that was so insensative. What happened to Ms. Turner during her years with Ike was indeed tragic but since then she has endured a great life,one that many of us wished we had, and she is still doing her thing. At some point you have to forgive people for who they are and move on. God also teaches us to forgive. So i think that comment was a lil ignorant on her part. Lets not forget she divorced Ike in 1975 and the two both had acknowledge they hadn't seen eachother since…And ppl change…Ike apologized to her many times while he was alive. You can't keep punishing a person for a mistake they made over 34years ago.. but all the other comments i respect.. but Aretha is the Queen of Soul&Rnb, but Tina wasn't doing Rock and Roll when she sung with Beyonce so it may have been an intention slap in the face.. many didn't know that the real issue occured behind the scenes and it is between Aretha,and Beyonce's camp. Fantasia and Tina were caught in the mix…Beyonce always looked up to Aretha and wanted to be reared by the legend in the press, but Aretha put all her love,name drops, and recognition to Fantasia, who Aretha publicly crowned the best singer of the younger generation, which Angered Beyonce. She felt Fantasia wasn't in her league, and she reached out to Aretha and it was a slap in the face. Aretha is said to have went with her heart but also loved Beyonce…so Beyonce went running to Tina… The rest is history!